| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3296 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72 ... 132  Next
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:32 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I'm recovering from a pulled calf. It sucks because I want to run and I have a race in Saturday. I can almost walk normally now. The bike at the Y is sooooo boring though...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:18 am 
Double double, toil and trouble

Sooo, my first week of marathon training ended after yesterday's run, wherein I was experiencing some pretty intense lateral ankle pain on both sides. I have no idea what's going on. Sunday's 5k had some killer inclines and declines, so it may be related to that. Lots of ice and gentle stretching, yesterday, and it's worse today. Going to take a few days off and see a doctor if it's still hurting like this later in the week.

Being injured makes me feel so depressed. I told myself I would go swim some laps this morning, but I couldn't even drag myself to the pool because I was feeling so disappointed that I couldn't run in this beautiful weather.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:15 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

chop_socky take care of that ankle!! Definitely ice, rest, and elevation. Hopefully you're up and running in no time!

7 miles this morning, it was my first time running in 4 days. I am getting to that point in marathon training where I'm just so mentally burnt out from running. I'm looking forward to the marathon being over so I can do other things!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:01 pm 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

I have been slacking the past few weeks running shorter rounds less often, so I can really feel the decrease in training. Today I managed another half hour, in this heat it feels like a real accomplishment but... disappointment. I hope it will cool down a bit otherwise I won't be trained for the various runs in July!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:54 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

chop_socky wrote:
Sooo, my first week of marathon training ended after yesterday's run, wherein I was experiencing some pretty intense lateral ankle pain on both sides. I have no idea what's going on. Sunday's 5k had some killer inclines and declines, so it may be related to that. Lots of ice and gentle stretching, yesterday, and it's worse today. Going to take a few days off and see a doctor if it's still hurting like this later in the week.

Being injured makes me feel so depressed. I told myself I would go swim some laps this morning, but I couldn't even drag myself to the pool because I was feeling so disappointed that I couldn't run in this beautiful weather.

Ohhh, no poor you! I hate being injured it sucks!
Rest & swimming will probably be a good way to get you back to running asap.
Keep your chin up.
Hugs.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:23 pm 
Double double, toil and trouble

Thanks for the encouragement and well-wishes, everyone! I've been icing icing icing while doing some schoolwork today.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:36 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Keep on chop_socky! I've had a few setbacks over the past year and haven't been able to make my goal of doing a half at all. But I still keep at it. Enjoy some swimming!

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:30 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

chop_socky, I totally hear you, but don't give up hope! Even when I seriously effed up my hip WELL into marathon training, my physical therapist told me I could still run it, but I couldn't train at the level at which my team was training. I regret now having shoved the idea aside completely, because I think I probably could have completed it in the end.

Ice the bejeezus out of it, do some other light activities instead. When you think you're recovered, give it another week before you ease back into running. You should be fine. Injuries suuuuck, though.

In other news, I'm still coughing. It's been over a week since I've run and I'm antsy. Bleh!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:19 am 

I ran 7 this morning and it felt awesome! I've been feeling lethargic on my runs lately, but this morning I felt great!

I hope everyone who is down and out for the count is back up and going strong soon!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:33 pm 

lobsteriffic wrote:
I ran 7 this morning and it felt awesome! I've been feeling lethargic on my runs lately, but this morning I felt great!

I hope everyone who is down and out for the count is back up and going strong soon!

My my last two runs have been really hard work too. I've been feeling really tired & heavy, I think lethargic probably sums it up well.

Now worried as I have my second ever race on Sunday (5k). I was hoping to improve my time by at least 2 if not 4 minutes but the way it's going I can't see it happening.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:42 pm 
Dead by dawn

Chickpea wrote:
lobsteriffic wrote:

My my last two runs have been really hard work too. I've been feeling really tired & heavy, I think lethargic probably sums it up well.

Now worried as I have my second ever race on Sunday (5k). I was hoping to improve my time by at least 2 if not 4 minutes but the way it's going I can't see it happening.

You'll be surprised at what you can pull out on race day. Adrenaline helps. :) I felt like I was just plodding through runs leading up to my second half marathon, but I took 9 minutes off my time. Knowing that, I wasn't worried about feeling that same plodding, slow feeling leading up to the third, and sure enough, I shaved off another couple of minutes. Race day is so different from training.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:04 pm 

Thanks MT. I'm worried because I know that a lot of being able to run well is in the mind & I'm doubting myself which doesn't bode well. I shall try to be more positive after reading your comments. Thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:08 pm 
Inflexitarian

Another 5k run yesterday! I've been intentionally not going faster or further because I'm still new, but it's definitely been getting (slightly) easier, which is pretty satisfying.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:20 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I went out running this morning which was stunning with blue skies and everything. It was sweaty but nice, I went 5,6 K and although I walked part of it, I felt strong both in my mind (I kept running instead of walking for longer periods than I usually do) and in my body.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:23 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Back at it! Calf is better, quads are better, have been doing a lot of cross-training (kettlebells, pushups) so upper body is stronger than it has ever been in my life, so I'm hitting the roads again. Plus trails.

Good to see everyone here and I hope not to be a stranger.

I'm looking for a half-marathon for late Oct or Nov...thinking Malibu, but not sure.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:02 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

So I kind of finished last in a 5k today. It was a "fun run," so it wasn't timed, but know I was the last runner to finish. I pulled a muscle in my back/hip a week ago and I really shouldn't have run, but I did anyway. Meh. :(

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:28 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

For everyone's information, doing a downhill half marathon is much more difficult than a regular one.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:30 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

kilgore, you finished! even though you were injured. YOU FINISHED. that's what matters. at least in my opinion.
Hi PPK runners!
I have started running last summer, then sat out the cold months (no gym membership), then got into running again and can now do 5k in 35-40 minutes. Or could before my vacation... anyway, I want to challenge myself and sign up for a 5k race in 2 months. Do any of you follow any 5k race training plan?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:57 pm 
Dead by dawn

Woohoo! Muddy trail run this morning. Slow, because there's some wicked hills, but fun.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:55 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I did something very painful to my calf on my run this morning. I thought it was a cramp, but it's not. It's the back on my calf, almost by the knee. It's horrible. And my damn cats keep tripping me. I've never hurt myself running before, I don't want to take time off. I will! But whine whine whine!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:49 am 

kilgore trout wrote:
So I kind of finished last in a 5k today. It was a "fun run," so it wasn't timed, but know I was the last runner to finish. I pulled a muscle in my back/hip a week ago and I really shouldn't have run, but I did anyway. Meh. :(

Well done. That must have been really hard.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:03 pm 

Invictus wrote:
I did something very painful to my calf on my run this morning. I thought it was a cramp, but it's not. It's the back on my calf, almost by the knee. It's horrible. And my damn cats keep tripping me. I've never hurt myself running before, I don't want to take time off. I will! But whine whine whine!

That sucks. Hope it gets better immediately!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:07 pm 

I did The Race For Life 5k today. My second race & the biggest event I have been to. It was quite overwhelming & emotional to see so many people, most dressed in pink with names of people affected by or died of cancer on their backs.
I was a bit thrown as the course wasn't what I was expecting. There were lots of hills, not steep but long, and it was quite windy. However I managed to complete it in 28.22 minutes.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:22 pm 

Congrats everyone, such great progress!!

I was supposed to do 20 miles today, but my body gave out at 17.38 and I had to hobble to the subway to get home. I have time to try a 20 miler again before my marathon so I'm not too worried. It was a very tiring weekend with little sleep and a lot of travelling so I'm not surprised I couldn't finish.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:51 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

So,I did a downhill half marathon yesterday and I can barely walk today. It also feels like my hip is popping out of place when I take a step. My back and abs hurt too. Lesson learned.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3296 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72 ... 132  Next