| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ugh bathing suits ugh help!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:28 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I am trying to find a bathing suit that will work for me and is under $100. I am going to start doing water aerobics next week.

The few that LLBean has are decent, but over $100. I also have to buy water weights.

The problems: I have some lose skin from my weight loss and with other body issues, I cannot deal with the lose skin issues, so I have to have a suit with good rear coverage, non-skimpy fabric and I probably need two piece because anything with a built in bra is going to be enormous on me. The skirt type bottoms are best because they cover up the worst loose skin areas.

I have two tankinis but they are 2-3 sizes too small. I popped into Macy's but the sales are winding now so selection was mostly just bikinis. I was hopping to find a Nautica skirted suit like the one I had, but no luck. The fabric on that is very sturdy.

I'd rather not wear a "grand ma" suit, but I don't suppose I really care as long as I don't feel like a walking blob of loose skin. Nice visual, eh?

Ideas? Or do I just need to suck it up and get one from LL Bean?

Last year I tried on some from Target and they were so skimpy and ill fitting that I ran away in tears and didn't do water aerobics.

Post subject: Re: ugh bathing suits ugh help!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:56 pm 
Semen Strong

I don't have any good advice for swimsuits, but I wouldn't let the fact that you don't have a great one shame you into not doing water aerobics if that is something you want to do that will help you feel better and build your muscles so you aren't in pain all the time.

I go to the pool in my maternity suit, and I look terrible. But so do lots of people. You can't let it stop you. fork it. No one is looking at you and if they are, who gives a fork what they think. Just enjoy the water. Its also easier to get a cute cover-up and put it on once you're out than to find the perfect suit.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:01 pm 
Saggy Butt

Do you know what size you need? If so, it looks like you can order your suit online. http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/naut ... ?ID=629473

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:07 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Have you checked lands end? They have a really big selection of styles and are not cheap but are definitely under 100.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:07 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Tofulish wrote:
I don't have any good advice for swimsuits, but I wouldn't let the fact that you don't have a great one shame you into not doing water aerobics if that is something you want to do that will help you feel better and build your muscles so you aren't in pain all the time.

I go to the pool in my maternity suit, and I look terrible. But so do lots of people. You can't let it stop you. fork it. No one is looking at you and if they are, who gives a fork what they think. Just enjoy the water. Its also easier to get a cute cover-up and put it on once you're out than to find the perfect suit.

Yes, I know this and I fully agree. However, I can't get past it. I used to love the pool in summer, but Imstill have nightmares of the bullying when I was in 8th grade. I didnt ever go to the pool or beach again after that until 2 years ago. I've tried. Going to the pool before took a lot out of me and that was with properly fitting swim wear.

I've gotten over arm issues. Now when someone is rude enough to ask "what's that" about my loose skin (and it's happened several times!) I just get mad.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:10 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Thanks for the links. That Nautica one would be perfect, but I have no idea if. Need a 10 or 12.

Any idea how Lands End sizes run? We don't have a store here. There is an LL Bean, which is why I was looking there.

Maybe I need to just go to the large mall an hour away and resign myself to poking around. The Macy's here is small.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:13 pm 
Semen Strong

Good luck poking around. I truly feel your pain, and I know how much it sucks. I think you are a very beautiful woman, by the way.

People ask me all the time if I am pregnant, and I don't even get mad. I just say "Nope, just fat."

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:21 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

You are awesome Tofulish. I hope to get my mindset where I want it to be soon. This is the first step. I think everything will get easier once I start this.

I would be a fool to not do the water aerobics. They are right at the association pool and are only $5 twice a week. They have two levels of classes.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:00 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Modcloth sells a style of one piece swimming suits called the Bathing Beauty that have tons of reviews and apparently flatter all body types. They have solid colors, and patterned ones (gingham! polka dots!). It might be worth checking out. They run in Australian sizes so I think sizing up is recommended (one or two sizes, you can contact their customer service and tell them your measurements and they are helpful in figuring out what size to order).
They are $90.

http://www.modcloth.com/shop/onepiece-swimwear

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:03 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Lands End sounds right to me to, judging from some of their catalogues I've flipped through. But I've never bought from them, so I can't help you with sizing. Water aerobics sounds like the perfect exercise for you, given your back issues. And everyone else there will probably be too busy obsessing about their own imperfect bodies to care about how you look.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:13 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I see more people in bathing suits than most people do. The thing you need is to own what you got. I see women who are far from society's ideal, figure wise, on the beach and they look awesome because they are confident. So, find a suit you love and go to the pool!

(Also remember that most people are as insecure as you are and are paying more attention to how "terrible" they look than to you.)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:47 pm 

I think land's end sizes run a bit big. Do you have a Sears near you? Some (or maybe all?) Sears have a Land's End dept. when I ordered from them, I just ordered a 12 and a 14 to figure out which I wanted or if I needed to mix and match since I got a tankini and a skirt bottom

I feel pretty uncomfortable in a bathing suit, too, so I understand the importance of having a perfect one.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:52 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Great! We do have a Sears here. I'll go check tomorrow.

I definitely want a skirt bottom of some kind.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:35 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Sears has some cute swimdresses on their website that are sort of retro. A couple of them would look really good on you.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:54 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Would a cute pair of board shorts be an option? Pacsun might have something like that, and youll look like a cool surfer chick. :)

I've seen a lot of one shoulder one pieces that seem modest but sexy. Victorias secret has swimwear on the website again prices aren't great but you can order by bra size. Maybe mix and match bottom and top? Im still searching myself...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:03 pm 
WRETCHED

I have loose skin issues too and my favorites are the shorts. I don't think swim dresses work too well for water aerobics because the skirt floats up. I have some board shorts with built in swim briefs and a tankini top. For water aerobics, you'd probably want a one piece though.

Something like this might work well (you can adjust it and it looks like it might not have the same float up that other swim dresses have)
http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.d ... pid=906289

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:12 pm 

Yes, thanks for pointing out the floating up issue! I had a swim dress and that annoyed me SOOO much. Even my swim skirt does it, but a little bit less than the dress.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:14 pm 
WRETCHED

Oh and I agree with Vantine, own what you got. Trust me, the last thing I want to put on is a bathing suit but I do it because I like water.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:18 pm 
Semen Strong

Abelskiver wrote:
Would a cute pair of board shorts be an option? Pacsun might have something like that, and youll look like a cool surfer chick. :).

Oooh! Yes! Board shorts are awesome with a tankini.

Eddie Bauer has board shorts that go way into the plus sizes (http://www.eddiebauer.com/catalog/produ ... 41620&se=1) and the Miracle Suit (http://www.eddiebauer.com/catalog/produ ... 41618&se=1) , which has a lot of spandex to hold stuff together, and its in a lot of malls so you can try it on.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:22 pm 

Though I really do love my body (and that is a hard-fought statement to make), I seriously doubt I can ever look in the mirror in a swimsuit and honestly think I look awesome. So I just grin and bear it and wear whatever cheap suit I can find to splash around the the ocean/lake/pool and work on taking one more thing off my list of stuff to get stressed about. I know that might not sound incredibly helpful--but I have so much more fun swimming now that I've opted not to care about my belly and thighs.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:35 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Thanks. I hadn't thought of board shorts.

I'm not sure I can find a one piece that fits. I have big hips and no chest. So I'd need a 10/12 suit with an A/B top.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:45 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I also vote board shorts! I would be really, really uncomfortable in just swim bottoms so I wear board shorts with my bathing suit and then I'm a happy camper. I got mine at Pac Sun.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:12 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

All of my swim suits are from athleta (http://www.athleta.com) and they have an awesome return policy - try the suit, use it, and send it back for free if you aren't in love. Their suits are designed for active wear and not just looking cute, and they have a lot of one piece, tankini, and shorts options, with mix and match available in all of their lines. I wear bikinis but my body is notoriously difficult to make look good in the bottoms. My Athleta suits all fit me perfectly. The customer service line is also really good for discussing sizing. Give them a look!

ETA I just checked and they have some really good suits on their sale section right now too!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:42 am 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

+1 for athleta. Tops and bottoms come as separates and they have an awesome return policy. They also have board shorts and all variety of tankinis.

ETA: Whoops. See above!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:59 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Also, Ross and TJ Maxx often have some really nice high end suits for a decent price.