| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: going back to work
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:05 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I'm going back to work in about a week. I am going to be so sad to see this maternity leave over. I am also terribly anxious... about making enough milk, making pumping fit in my work schedule, dealing with my coworkers, catching up on what I missed these last five months, missing my bebito, eating enough, drinking enough, not sleeping enough so I am exhausted, etc. My first day back I have a meeting, so it will be a 10 hour day. Ahhhhhhhh!

Post subject: Re: going back to work
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:14 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Good luck kimba! I'm scared about going back too, I don't have any advice to offer since I'm. It in that situation yet but I know how you feel! I stil have a few months before I have to go back and I get super anxious just thinking about it. I'm not very diligent about pumping so I rarely leave Jordan with anyone.

Gumboots & Cats Facebook Page
http://www.gumbootsandcats.tumblr.com/
http://www.gumbootsandcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.gumbootscatsvegansnacks.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:31 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

When i went back to work a friend of mine told me that it takes about three months to get comfortable taking care of your new baby and it also takes about three months to get get comfortable being a working mother. I found this to be true. Give yourself time to get back into the groove at work. You're not going to know what's going on and the pumping is stressful until you find the right schedule. At the three month mark I felt likea pro.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:46 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Try to pump on a regular schedule, within 30 min if you can. Call on check on baby, you will feel better! Try to work out a schedule that allows you to nurse soon after pick up (this took us about a week, but our sitter was awesome about trying to time the bottles). Pumping and supply were my biggest concerns. And what butternut said, it will take getting used to, but hopefully you will find a way to make everything work for both of you! Good luck!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:38 pm 

I was so worried about going back to work I had a headache for a week beforehand. I thought I was going to be miserable and cry my face off but it actually turned out not too bad! It felt good to be in the adult world again, and at least my job was actually way less stressful than taking care of a little infant all day. I'm sure it varies with everyone but here's hoping it goes ok for you too! Good luck!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:35 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Ditto what everyone else has said. I block out my pump times on my calendar which has a dual purpose. It reminds me to pump and also, when possible, avoids people scheduling me for those times. I realize that may not be possible for everyone, but it's worked well for me. I usually nurse before leaving for work, pump as soon as I get there (I have a lot of milk in the morning, plus no one is really at work first thing), and then twice more. I also worked it out with daycare so I can feed Charlie as soon as I pick him up. He eats on demand (and a lot) in the evening and overnight, but it's working well for us, and I've had no trouble meeting his needs so far. I think a big piece of the puzzle is how supportive your workplace is. I've been very lucky in that regard. I hope all goes well, and you will definitely find your own groove!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:12 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

So it is my first day back. I have a tough schedule with some very difficult patients. One of them no-showed so I am pumping now. I forgot the bottles for my pump, so my husband had to bring them for me this morning. What a nightmare! If I didn't have him to bring them, I don't know what I would have done! I thought I carefully packed everything yesterday. Anyway, I'm here at work. It's hard to believe. I put a picture of my baby on the monitor desktop. It's fun to look at him.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:46 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Glad to hear your day has been okay. I try to keep milk bags in my pump bag just in case I ever forget bottles!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:22 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

The first little bit is the hardest but it gets easier. Glad to hear that your first day is going well. I have occasionally forgotten bottles and found that many bottle brands at Walgreen's fit on my pump. Might not hurt to keep an extra bottle or two in your desk for the future just in cases. :)

My wee blog:

http://www.mommethree.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:52 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

is your husband watching the baby? you might ask him to set up a webcam for a little while during your lunch or whatever so you can watch the baby playing or sleeping or whatever. it's nice to do skype chats too, if you can, but just watching the baby on the screen for a little while without having to chat to your spouse or caregiver can be nice too!

my friend has a webcam at her daycare and i'm really jealous... it definitely made her transition back to work a bit easier just to be able to check up on her baby.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:21 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

MomMeTrois wrote:
The first little bit is the hardest but it gets easier. Glad to hear that your first day is going well. I have occasionally forgotten bottles and found that many bottle brands at Walgreen's fit on my pump. Might not hurt to keep an extra bottle or two in your desk for the future just in cases. :)

I'm definitely keeping bottles at work now! Yesterday was 1/2 oz deficit, so that was better (also no meeting, so he only had three bottles). There is just no way I can pump more than I am. I have to pump twice to get just under one bottle's worth. It is hard to fit between patients, but manageable so far. I am lucky to be able to use my office and am enjoying getting more quiet time. I am worried about my milk production, but that is a whole other story.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:38 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I would keep a couple of spare membranes too or other things you might need, just in case! You never know what might happen. I once left the whole flange on the drying rack at home when I went to work and had to drive back home and get it. Now, I just keep bags and bottles and a couple spare membranes, and try to remember to bring all the parts to work with me.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:43 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

kimba wrote:
I'm definitely keeping bottles at work now! Yesterday was 1/2 oz deficit, so that was better (also no meeting, so he only had three bottles). There is just no way I can pump more than I am. I have to pump twice to get just under one bottle's worth. It is hard to fit between patients, but manageable so far. I am lucky to be able to use my office and am enjoying getting more quiet time. I am worried about my milk production, but that is a whole other story.

I have been pumping at work for about 8 months straight. I have found my supply has fluctuated from day to day, week to week. Whether I drank enough water or ate the right foods, or was stressed... all plays a part. You may find that you can get a headstart on the week by getting pumping session in on Saturday and Sunday and having a couple of ounces in the fridge ready to top off those bottles on Monday so you don't have to go into your freezer stash. Trying to stay ahead of the game can be pretty hard.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:09 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Hey kimba, do you do breast compressions when pumping? I am not able to just sit back an let the pump do the work. Compressions massively increase my output.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:15 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Not really. Sometimes, but it doesn't seem to help much. I think the shields I have are doing a pretty good job squeezing a lot of the breast tissue.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:31 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

sofrito wrote:
Hey kimba, do you do breast compressions when pumping? I am not able to just sit back an let the pump do the work. Compressions massively increase my output.

This helps me too. I wait until after the spray stops and I can usually get it going again. Plus, you can always get a good laugh when you accidentally break the suction and get a boob fart!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:49 am 

kimba wrote:
So it is my first day back. I have a tough schedule with some very difficult patients. One of them no-showed so I am pumping now. I forgot the bottles for my pump, so my husband had to bring them for me this morning. What a nightmare! If I didn't have him to bring them, I don't know what I would have done! I thought I carefully packed everything yesterday. Anyway, I'm here at work. It's hard to believe. I put a picture of my baby on the monitor desktop. It's fun to look at him.

Well at least you only forgot empty bottles. The worst is when you pump all day then forget the filled bottles at work! I did that twice, it sucked! Once I even tried calling the director of IT to get them out of my office and put them in the fridge, because I knew he was the only one who'd still be there haha. I was that desperate to save that precious milk from spoiling! Hopefully you will never have that problem!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:53 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Haha boob farts!!!

I am so immature.. anyway... I also was worried about fitting in pumping sessions between clients but once you get the hang of it it isn't so bad. I also fluxuate day to day week to week but when I am home my kid is never without milk. Having some extra in the freezer can be such a lifesaver. There have been times when I was sick and couldn't get any milk and we were so glad to have some stored up.