| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 690 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: Toronto
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:10 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Question - how terrified of bed bugs do I need to be? I am checking potential apartment buildings on bedbugregistry.com, but I keep hearing how the little critters are EVERYWHERE in Toronto, not to mention mice and cockroaches. Please tell me it's not all doom and gloom!

[sorry if this posts twice, it timed out the first time]

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:56 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I don't have any numbers for you, but for what it's worth, I've lived in Toronto for four years and I've never met anyone who's had a bedbug problem. In fact, I only heard that Toronto has a bedbug problem for the first time a few weeks ago! Scary though, I know.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:51 pm 

Well that's good to hear! Once I started Googling about it of course I came across all of these news article that made it sound like you can't step foot in Toronto without running into bed bugs - apartments, hotels, even movie theatres - ack!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:21 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Congrats! I know that you may be looking for something a bit quicker, but check out some of the co-ops here-rent is always cheaper! I'm in a 3 bdrm downtown-ish, and we've got from 1bd-3 bd townhouses. http://www.coophousing.com/members/memb ... nlists.asp

This one is right next to mine: http://www.coophousing.com/members/memb ... orgid=1711
I'm sure they might have a 1 bd available soon?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:24 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

lobsteriffic wrote:
Well that's good to hear! Once I started Googling about it of course I came across all of these news article that made it sound like you can't step foot in Toronto without running into bed bugs - apartments, hotels, even movie theatres - ack!

I really wouldn't buy any used wood furniture. If buying used, only go for metal. Bed bugs can stick to wood.. I had a friend who all of a sudden had an invasion. She called me and I told her pack everything up right away and toss it (mattresses), bag her clothes and toss them into the bathtub. Her landlord had to (it's the law) bring someone in to fumigate.. The problem is that they can travel t hrough the outlets, holes in the baseboards etc.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:35 pm 

hey thanks! I'll definitely check out the co-ops! And good advice about the bed bugs...my friend was saying that a person in his building brought in some chair he found in a dumpster and ended up infecting the whole building - ugh!

Post subject: Field Roast sausages available!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:22 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

If you're like me, you've been reading with envy about all of the things our neighbours to the south get, that we can only hope will eventually make their way up here. One of those products was Field Roast. I know Whole Foods in the US has a bunch of their foods, and I keep checking the Toronto one when I get a chance.

Well, yesterday I went to Fiesta Farms on Christie St., and they have the Apple Sage and the Mexican Chipotle sausages. I don't know if Whole Foods now has Field Roast, but if I can, I prefer to support a small family grocer that has made the effort to provide vegan foods over the years. Quite often when my mother has asked for products, the owner has tried to get them in. I bought both, and they are good.

Just wanted to share the good news.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:37 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

lobsteriffic wrote:
Question - how terrified of bed bugs do I need to be? I am checking potential apartment buildings on bedbugregistry.com, but I keep hearing how the little critters are EVERYWHERE in Toronto, not to mention mice and cockroaches. Please tell me it's not all doom and gloom!

[sorry if this posts twice, it timed out the first time]

Too bad I didn't know you were looking before. I am heading down south to Georgia, the plan being for at least a year. My house doesn't (fingers crossed) have bedbugs, unless they come in from one of the tenants renting on the other half (it's semidetached), and the mouse madness is years in the past. No roaches that I know of... Anyway, I just got someone committed to the place. If they fall through, I can let you know.

Anyway, congratulations on the job and good luck finding a place. I only know one person who has had bedbug problems, but as long as you look at the registry and maybe see if you can get a word with a tenant, you should be alright. I use my nose to see if I can get a whiff of roach spray or mouse pee. Seriously. Check the broiler of a stove, because that's one place they like to nest. In drawers you might see tiny roach droppings or their egg sacs. You can avoid all pests with some vigilance.

I'm not a Yonge & Eg person, prefer more central (i"m in Seaton village, just west of the Annex), and love it. You can walk anywhere, Y&E is a 1/2 hour TTC ride at most, vegan food around the corner in stores, bars and restaurants. Sadly our vegan grocery closed, but there's still a lot to choose from. Hogtown Vegan (the Hot Beans' peep's diner) is a five minute walk away. Kensington's a nice walk from here. It's another part of town to consider.

Post subject: Re: Field Roast sausages available!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:58 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

SheDevil wrote:
Well, yesterday I went to Fiesta Farms on Christie St., and they have the Apple Sage and the Mexican Chipotle sausages.

YAHOO!!! My days of lamenting our lack of access to apple sage Field Roast are over! Now we just need the Daiya wedges...

Thanks for the tip!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:49 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

I was tempted to keep it to myself, out of pure greed, but how could I given how long we've waited?

Besides, the more people who buy them, the more they will buy and expand their selection.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:12 pm 
Inflexitarian

I've never been to Fiesta Farms.. I mostly do all of my shopping in Kensington. I take it it is a pretty awesome place for vegan groceries?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:30 am 

I'm here!!! Arrived very early yesterday morning. I spent the day traipsing around Yonge & Eg, looked at all kinds of over-priced dumps, but then the very last one of the day turned out to be a gem. I thought I wanted to live in a high rise, but the one I fell in love with was a low-rise, a pretty small building. Who knew. Anyway, thank you for all of your help Torontonian PPKers! Oh, and my apartment is right down the street from a crepe place that has a sign about vegan crepes. Yes, please!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:06 am 
WELFARIST!

^Woot! Welcome!!!! Fill us in on the vegan crepes once you get a chance!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:58 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

So soon..! Welcome!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:23 pm 

So right down the street from the office is Kale...it's a vegan/macrobiotic salad bar thingie where you pay by weight. They also have hot food. I checked it out for lunch - it was pretty good! I was cautious about what I tried though...I always seem to get myself into trouble at pay by weight places.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:08 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Welcome (back) to Canada, lobsterrific! I'm interesting in hearing about those crepes, mmm.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:50 pm 
Dildo Queen

i seriously ate at sadie's three times this weekend.
once at urban herbivore.
i forking love toronto.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:55 pm 
Dildo Queen

hey everyone...so the shrine circus (puke) is on tour right now and i've organised a protest for july 4th for kitchener-waterloo

https://www.facebook.com/#!/events/234480720002133/

if any of you are close-ish to k-w or want to drive here to protest, do iiittt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:14 am 

Okay I have a really stupid question that I can NOT find on TTC's website or on Google: Can I use a subway pass on street cars and buses?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:58 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

lobsteriffic wrote:
Okay I have a really stupid question that I can NOT find on TTC's website or on Google: Can I use a subway pass on street cars and buses?

yep! It's a TTC-wide pass.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:36 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

lobsteriffic wrote:
So right down the street from the office is Kale...it's a vegan/macrobiotic salad bar thingie where you pay by weight. They also have hot food. I checked it out for lunch - it was pretty good! I was cautious about what I tried though...I always seem to get myself into trouble at pay by weight places.

I like Kale! The other Yonge and Eg vegan-friendly place I know of is Hotel Gelato.

Hope you're settling in well!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:45 pm 

paprikapapaya wrote:
lobsteriffic wrote:

yep! It's a TTC-wide pass.

Thanks! That's awesome!

And thanks to everyone for the welcomes, you Torontonians are so friendly! :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:16 pm 

okay I have another question! Where would the best (i.e., cheap) place be to stock up on lentils and dried beans and stuff?

oh and I'm definitely going to check out that Hotel Gelato place! Toronto has so many great-sounding vegan places, I'm going to be broke (but have a happy tummy).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:43 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

lobsteriffic wrote:
okay I have another question! Where would the best (i.e., cheap) place be to stock up on lentils and dried beans and stuff?

Bulk Barn, probably? They have everything! There's one at Carlton and Yonge - so it's subway accessible - but you can check their store locator to see if there's one even closer to you.

I have the answer to a question you didn't even know you had! The best resource for being vegan in Toronto is the Toronto Vegetarian Association. There's an eating guide, and in September, the largest vegetarian food festival in North America! (So fun and delicious and entertaining, oh my.) So... yeah. veg.ca.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:17 pm 

Oh cool! Thank you! That festival sounds AWESOME!

I've only been here 72 hours, but I'm really digging Toronto! So far I love it!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 690 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 28  Next