| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: when you are burnt out at work...
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:59 pm 
We So Excited

I've been dreading work lately. The irony is that I have a very good setup this term. The problem is me. I just don't want to work. I would prefer not to.

If I were smart and organized, I'd be taking sabbatical next term, take some classes, relax a little. But I'm not, and my principal has been denying all sabbaticals anyway, and I'm sure wouldn't let me go even if I had my shiitake together.

Not working isn't an option. Ideas for getting my act together? I've been less effective and that makes me more burnt out and it's a vicious cycle.

I went and bought some new work clothes today, in the hopes that cute sweaters would make me happier about going to work. I'll try anything.

Post subject: Re: when you are burnt out at work...
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:11 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I usually have to give myself a treat for going to work every day since I'm five and need incentive. It's usually a coffee from my favorite place. I spend a lot of time calculating how much I'm making every day and then thinking about what I would spend that on. The real answer is rent and bills, but I don't have to think about that.

Then I think about how bad my life sucks, but at least I have a job. Which I know isn't like the best thing, but I dread losing my current job and having to look for a new one. I hate uncertainty and trying really hard to impress people, and that's all job-searching is.

Oh, and I mostly just remind myself that this isn't forever. I'm not married to my job. One day I can leave it and never look back, even if that day isn't today.

Edited a can't to a can

Last edited by Fee on Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:14 pm 
We So Excited

Thanks. Yeah, I think I will be adapting reward system. And remembering it's a forking job, which I can lose sight of--I don't have to love it every minute, I can just do it for the check sometimes.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:30 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

The "this too shall pass" mentality- wait it out, and either things will change, or perhaps you'll see them differently. A weekend in Vegas helps, too.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:41 pm 
Hip Goiter

Oh that's definitely a great idea Fee, the incentives. I'm five too. I need a reward system. Hmm. I have to think about what to do. I have no idea what would work for me.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:49 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

Incentives for sure. I'm sort of unemployed at the moment, but when I was working I would plan fun nights for myself, like getting some wine and watching a silly movie, or cooking a recipe I've been wanting to try, things like that- and also planning big incentives for later down the road, like small, cheap vacations.

And similar to Fee, when I was working at LUSH my reward to myself was some Starbucks every day because there was a counter about forty steps from my counter. Sounds silly, but it gave me a boost, caffeinated and emotionally.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:05 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I try to focus on the things I'd miss if I wasn't working -- other than the money! I also do a lot of counting down to next days off. Like right now, I have 8 days 'til I get a 4 day weekend!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:15 pm 
We So Excited

Hey, me too! I am so looking forward to that 4 day weekend.
That's also a good idea to remind myself what I get out of this gig.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:16 pm 
Hip Goiter

Oh yeah! Something to be thankful for about Thanksgiving ! Snow day!

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:28 pm 
Dead by dawn

I don't know how to get motivated, but I'm right there with you. Usually I feel like I can get through anything if I know that there's an end point, but that doesn't really get me through work because the end point would be unemployment and without a winning lottery ticket, that's just not going to be an improvement! The pace at work has been relentless for the majority of the year so far and I really just feel like I need a vacation, but I'm so busy that I can't figure out how to get out of there for a day, let alone a week. I think I need an incentive system.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:33 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

i . . . think you need to find a new line of work. it sounds like you just don't enjoy what you do. i could be totally wrong, but that's what i'm getting.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:35 pm 
Hip Goiter

acr wrote:
i . . . think you need to find a new line of work. it sounds like you just don't enjoy what you do. i could be totally wrong, but that's what i'm getting.

Isn't that what 'work' is though? Like for maybe 90% of the working population!

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:50 pm 
We So Excited

oh, wait, I think I misread something, never mind.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:54 pm 
We So Excited

acr wrote:

Is this to me? If so, then I've really misstated the case. I've been teaching for 14 years and love it, but I'm working 6 days a week (I teach teachers on Saturdays) and newly parenting an adolescent. I'm tired, and the big picture love isn't translating to day to day motivation. I need smaller, short term fixes right now, but this isn't my permanent mind-frame about my job.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:57 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

Friday wrote:
acr wrote:

Is this to me? If so, then I've really misstated the case. I've been teaching for 14 years and love it, but I'm working 6 days a week (I teach teachers on Saturdays) and newly parenting an adolescent. I'm tired, and the big picture love isn't translating to day to day motivation. I need smaller, short term fixes right now, but this isn't my permanent mind-frame about my job.

it was more for monkeytoes. i should say that i am a total flake and abandon professions the second i stop looking forward to work. i'm 32 and on my third career since college.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:02 pm 
We So Excited

Ah, ok.
I realized I'm not quite as burnt out as I thought when I read that and thought, no, never, I love my job! And started having visions of work dancing in my head and felt horrible at the thought of leaving, so that was helpful.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:27 pm 
Dead by dawn

acr wrote:
Friday wrote:
acr wrote:

it was more for monkeytoes. i should say that i am a total flake and abandon professions the second i stop looking forward to work. i'm 32 and on my third career since college.

Oh, I wondered if you meant me or Friday. I actually like the work just fine, I'm just exhausted because the workload has been crazy since early spring. I'm crabby because I can't get caught up and I can't find time to use all the PTO I have built up.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:30 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

random sick days leave me so refreshed! you are given days off for a reason--use your time!!! whatever you didnt finish, you will finish later. and youll be happier because you will also have cookies that you baked on your fake sick day.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:36 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Fee wrote:
Then I think about how bad my life sucks, but at least I have a job. Which I know isn't like the best thing, but I dread losing my current job and having to look for a new one. I hate uncertainty and trying really hard to impress people, and that's all job-searching is.

Oh, and I mostly just remind myself that this isn't forever. I'm not married to my job. One day I can't leave it and never look back, even if that day isn't today.

Pretty much all of this. I hate my job, it makes me miserable, BUT I have a job, and I'm thankful for that. I've been looking for a new job for over a year with no luck, so I just try to be glad that I'm not failing so epically without a safety net.

And then every day when I'm driving home I dream about the day that I will finally be able to quit and never, ever go back, whenever that happens.

I'm not sure how to deal with it if you actually do like your job, though. I'd say you definitely need to find a way to use up some of that time off, if you can. Or Fee's incentive system. We're all five sometimes.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:38 am 
Member type 4

I learned out to sleep sitting up in my chair without detection.

... that's all I've got.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:51 am 
Grandfathered In

I feel selfish complaining about my job. I'm not out in the weather, the people are almost all pleasant (some of them too pleasant), and sometimes I get to exercise some creativity.

But I don't make nearly enough money. I don't know if the work actually matters. There's no prestige. Management is often silly and self-contradictory. Sometimes I feel useless, like my efforts are futile. I don't know if I'm making a difference.

I guess I'm selfish.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:09 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

rocklobster wrote:
random sick days leave me so refreshed! you are given days off for a reason--use your time!!! whatever you didnt finish, you will finish later. and youll be happier because you will also have cookies that you baked on your fake sick day.

Totally. Speaking of which, I'd better get to baking, because my fake sick day is coming to an end....... My roommate used to call them "mental health days" and that's absolutely what they are. When you have convalesced sufficiently, you can come back with freshness and an improved attitude.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:45 am 
Semen Strong

A six day work week sounds like it would exhaust even the most dedicated teacher, especially along with the new albeit awesome experience of parenting etc. It sounds like you don't have a ton of time just for yourself.

I swear by mental health days! Take a day and just do what you want. I'm taking one with a bunch of friends this Friday to go to Sprig & Vine and then have a bit of a hike. It can be as simple as going back to bed when D goes to school and then going out for a leisurely breakfast and meeting me for lunch somewhere :) And if you can't get a whole day, maybe plan something special - like a yoga class, massage or a pedicure that is a luxurious treat just for yourself. As far as I'm concerned massages make everything better.

Sending you good thoughts <3

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:57 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Wow, can I ever sympathize. The only thing keeping me going in my current job is focusing on the temporary aspect of it. It isn't that I hate my job, I just hate it right now. It's not that I'm working super hard, but nothing I do is making any impact. I could work harder, and still nothing would change. I may as well be home with my cats and bunny and family.

Temporary
Temporary
Temporary

"forking vegans" ~~linanil

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:23 am 
Impressive boner

The best advice I could give would be to make a long term plan - for example, I'm saving to fulfill a lifelong dream of going on holiday to Japan for a month. It's going to take a long time for me to save enough money but I'll make it one day so long as I keep working.

On the downside, my job has got me to the point where it was making me hypermanic and potentially violent so I've been off for about three months.... but at the same time I'm working on a self-employment plan.