| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pretty Interesting Gardening Documentary
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:50 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Location: In some dumb hotel in an equally dumb town...or in San Diego
Have to admit I dont see a lot wrong with what this guy has to say about gardening. He has a fair amount of religious referencing too but Im a big boy and can easily overlook that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... QLdknzekDw

Post subject: Re: Pretty Interesting Gardening Documentary
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:55 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Looks interesting, I think I'll watch it tonight. Thanks for the link. It kind of reminds me of the Raw Model blog guy - he is all into food forests and whatnot. He's REALLY into it and might come across as a bit obsessive, but it's super fascinating stuff. I like it!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:25 pm 
Saggy Butt

What a great link! Though I'm not able to garden now, the movie was still fascinating. Even with all his religious comments, I still really liked that guy. He looks like Steve Carell, no?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:59 pm 

Yeah, no gardening for me ATM either but it was a great watch. And I love the guys enthusiasm towards it all

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:19 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

My husband recently discovered this guy and we're trying his methods in our garden. Hard to find wood chips in our area, but we're using dead leaves and other stuff we can scrounge up and it's doing fairly well. Our radishes were/are gigantic, and the weeds are pretty much nonexistent everywhere we've put down a covering and the newspaper...

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:13 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I thought it was interesting too. Although he had a few misstatements, he did qualify it by saying he lacks a background in nutrition. None of our plants, regardless of soil health, ever were sources of vitamin D!

We try to do the wood chip thing, but more limited than what he's doing, and veganic rather than using blood/manures. And the key for starting out really is to not plant directly in chips, but in furrows reaching down to older soil. I have friends who laid down 18" - 2' of chips on their huge garden site (primarily to inhibit blackberries from re-emerging.) After 3 years they still complain about needing to add lots of extra nitrogen (they primarily use humanure from their composting toilets), but their plants all look awesome to me. They have a bunch of us saving and using our own urine, too!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:18 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

butterbobbin wrote:
My husband recently discovered this guy and we're trying his methods in our garden. Hard to find wood chips in our area, but we're using dead leaves and other stuff we can scrounge up and it's doing fairly well. Our radishes were/are gigantic, and the weeds are pretty much nonexistent everywhere we've put down a covering and the newspaper...

This sounds more like 'lasagna gardening,' which is an awesome method. We try to do this on all new beds we start, as it provides a much more nutritious base than chips alone. What we scrounge up has been too coarse for direct seeding, but works great for anything we plant from starts.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:36 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Dang, I started watching it this morning and it kept cutting off and now it's no longer available due to copy right problems.
This copyright business is darn annoying at times

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:48 am 

the movie can be watched on their main website

backtoedenfilm.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:00 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

butterbobbin wrote:

butterbobbin, try checking with your local electric or telephone company. I found out ours will drop off a load of chips for free (they have to pay at the municipal green waste facility when they dump them, so they are always happy to find people who will take them.)

But be prepared for a TON of them. Maybe not literally...but my pile was bigger than my car.

We've had great results so far, just using this as mulch as is. Plants are doing so much better than normal, minimal slug and snail damage, and almost zero weeds.

I'm actually surprised it's working, since we didn't age it, or spread it out and let it rot. We do water, though, with drip irrigation and collected rainwater.

http://alinaspencil.com