| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Why isn't this vegan?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:35 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

The one food I really miss since going vegan is pierogies, which is basically noodles stuffed with potato filling. The problem is that there's most frequently egg in the dough of the noodles and/or cheese in the stuffing. We make batches at home sometimes and so I've made those vegan, but they really are a pain to make, so I've been on the lookout for frozen ones that were accidentally vegan. I was super excited to find a potato and onion variety today and I read over the ingredients, which I thought looked fine. But then I looked at the nutritional information and it said they have 4 grams of cholesterol in a serving. I took a picture of the ingredients, but cannot for the life of me figure out where that is coming from and I was hoping someone here can help me out:

The bag says they contain: Water, Enriched durim flour (niacin, ferrous sulfate, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), potato flakes (potatoes, vegetable monoglycerides, sodium acid pyrophosphate, citric acid), dehydrated onions, soybean, oil, salt, pepper.

The allergy information says it contains wheat and soybeans, but nothing about eggs or dairy.

It just kind of skeeves me out - that's not exactly a small amount of cholesterol and I can't imagine where it might be coming from.

Post subject: Re: Why isn't this vegan?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:47 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

gwenc02 wrote:
vegetable monoglycerides

I would bet that it is this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monoglyceride

I was also miffed to find out that pierogies aren't vegan. I have no interest in making them myself and now I'm GF so it would be even harder. But damn I miss those tasty little pockets of fluffy potato yumminess!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:51 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

It could also be an error. That would be weird if it says "vegetable monoglycerides" and then have it come from an animal, but who knows. My husband bought some canned vegetables once with the same thing, all vegan ingredients but listed cholesterol. I didn't eat them, but they may have been vegan with an error on the cholesterol. I was more worried there was an error on the ingredient list.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:54 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

But it specifically says "vegetable", so maybe it's something else? In any case, I've definitely seen vegan pierogis! But only in Brooklyn, so I dunno. Why am I in this thread?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:56 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Monoglycerides can be veg or animal, but they are both still a fat. http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-monoglyceride.htm

Quote:
A monoglyceride is a type of glyceride molecule, also known as a lipid or fat. It can come from plant oils or animal fats, and it can also be manufactured synthetically. Monoglycerides are added to processed food to act as emulsifiers, which means they bind liquids that don’t blend easily, such as oil and vinegar. They can be found on the ingredient list of many processed sweets, including baked goods, gum, and ice cream, and labeled as simply monoglycerides or as monoacylglycerols.

There are three types of glycerides, each of which consists of one or more chains of fatty acids bonded to a glycerol: monoglycerides, diglycerides, and triglycerides. Whereas a triglyceride is made up of three fatty acid chains and a glycerol, a monoglyceride is distinguished by the fact that it has only one fatty acid chain in its molecule. A monoglyceride can be produced by synthetic means, but it also can be created by breaking down a triglyceride, which is chemically the same, and removing two of its fatty acids.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:58 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

IsaChandra wrote:
But it specifically says "vegetable", so maybe it's something else? In any case, I've definitely seen vegan pierogis! But only in Brooklyn, so I dunno. Why am I in this thread?

Cause you love to grace us with your presence! Can a girl get a GF pierogie recipe, damn Isa you're slacking!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:04 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

My guess is that the company that made their nutrition facts label is not very reputable! Either that or the ingredients list is wrong. Someone screwed up somewhere. People need to just hire me to do their recipe analysis!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:05 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

GraciaKai wrote:
IsaChandra wrote:

Cause you love to grace us with your presence! Can a girl get a GF pierogie recipe, damn Isa you're slacking!

GraciaKai - i've made gluten-free vegan pierogies before and my friend allyson has, too!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:07 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

kimba wrote:
It could also be an error. That would be weird if it says "vegetable monoglycerides" and then have it come from an animal, but who knows. My husband bought some canned vegetables once with the same thing, all vegan ingredients but listed cholesterol. I didn't eat them, but they may have been vegan with an error on the cholesterol. I was more worried there was an error on the ingredient list.

That was kind of what I was thinking - that maybe the nutrition information is assuming that you're going to sauté them in butter and onions, but I wasn't going to take the chance that "oil" meant melted butter or something stupid like that. It's just depressing.

But chalk me up as another vote for GF pierogies - that would be amazing and I'm sure Isa's recipe would be well worth the effort!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:09 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

GraciaKai wrote:
Monoglycerides can be veg or animal, but they are both still a fat. http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-monoglyceride.htm

But "fat" doesn't mean "cholesterol."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:09 pm 
Chip Strong

We have vegan pierogis at our grocery store - I think they are Golden brand, potato and onion filling.

Sounds like a mistake on either the nutritional facts or ingredients list, although it's hard to say which. What is the brand?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:22 pm 
Inflexitarian

IsaChandra wrote:
GraciaKai wrote:

Yeah, cholesterol should only be in animal products....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:23 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

IsaChandra wrote:
GraciaKai wrote:

True, true.

Maybe email the company and see what they say.

Thanks for the GF links!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:45 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Was the package originally in another language? Translated nutrition info often comes out weird.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:50 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I'll bet they only paid to have one nutritional info label made and it was for a cheesy pierogi. I have seen that happen on a lot of small company stuff - all the nutritional facts are identical on their products even though they're wildly different products. We seem to have a variety of brands of vegan pierogis in the stores here.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:24 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I've run into this same issue with seemingly vegan dumplings I found at the Korean market. I noticed after I bought and ate them. I assumed the label was an error, like maybe a label for a different flavor of the same brand of product. It makes me want to not buy them again though, which is annoying because they were delicious!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:54 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Oh wow, I never knew about this cholesterol thing. What?! Neat! So, by default & happenstance, we all eat a cholesterol-free diet? I never really thought to know what cholesterol was. Now I feel like a bit of a dunce!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:59 pm 
Semen Strong

ashley wrote:
I've run into this same issue with seemingly vegan dumplings I found at the Korean market.

I love mandoo! The name gives me the giggles and they are yummy.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:59 pm 

Okay, wow, so interesting! Check out this picture of a cholesterol cell in water:

How can that be a natural shape?! Looks like a computer chip! Cool.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:11 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Ariann wrote:
I'll bet they only paid to have one nutritional info label made and it was for a cheesy pierogi. I have seen that happen on a lot of small company stuff - all the nutritional facts are identical on their products even though they're wildly different products. We seem to have a variety of brands of vegan pierogis in the stores here.

oh smart! i bet you're totally right about that. that's so shady! but i think with imported products, that happens more frequently. the ingredients list on indian products are often pretty vague. I se "vegetable margarine" with sub ingredients list pretty often.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:23 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Hmmm, I wonder if the one nutrition label for everything is where the vegan Quorn is getting it's supposed cholesterol from. I'm still kind of freaked out by that, but I keep forgetting to email the company.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:27 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

But dont oils and veg fats contain cholesterol in small amounts?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:32 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

No, you have to have a liver to produce cholesterol. There are oils and fats that will cause us to produce more cholesterol, and some people have livers that just like to produce more cholesterol than others, so being vegan doesn't automatically give you low cholesterol, but there are no vegan foods that contain any cholesterol. (Unless mycoprotein is some sort of strange exception. I'm back on the Quorn thing)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:46 pm 

There is a sentence in wikipedia however that does imply that plants can make it:

"Cholesterol is the principal sterol synthesized by animals; in vertebrates it is formed predominantly in the liver. Small quantities are synthesized in other cellular organisms (eukaryotes) such as plants and fungi."

But it doesn't really elaborate further on that, and for all I know it's only a rare few plants that do it, which could very well be inedible.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:03 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Maybe some of the cholesterol in plant foods also comes from the critters that are accidentally included in it. For instance this info on wheat flour from the fda website:
Quote:
WHEAT FLOUR
Insect filth: Average of 75 or more insect fragments per 50 grams
Rodent filth: Average of 1 or more rodent hairs per 50 grams
DEFECT SOURCE: Insect fragments - preharvest and/or post harvest and/or processing insect infestation, Rodent hair - post harvest and/or processing contamination with animal hair or excreta.
SIGNIFICANCE: Aesthetic

I guess this means that the fda allows up to 75 insect fragments in 50 grams (half a cup) of flour, since it doesn't affect the easthetic quality (= un-grossness) of the product.
(If this piece of news grosses you out, I advise you NOT to go to the fda website to see what's in other types of products...)