| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 847 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 34  Next
 Post subject: Re: Garden Chat
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:25 am 
Smuggling Raisins

You might be overwatering that basil.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:49 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Yeah, basil could be overwatered/leaves getting too wet (they hate that).
However mint is a very different plant... Hmm... How much root space does the mint have? I had a mint do that once, it was in a small container. Also, is the soil too hard/clay around it? That could be restricting root growth... Those are my only two guesses.

As for lavender, sounds like you'll just have to wait until next year. Young lavenders never really produce many buds, plus you cut off the ones it did. It should be fine though.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:06 am 
Venomous Head of Veganism

Yeah, I finally learned not to overwater basil. Important life lesson.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:38 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Our landlords cat (we think, because he's dug around in our garden before and it just looks like his handiwork) went on a rampage in our chard & arugula patch. He pulled up 4 of the chard plants and one of the two arugulas. It's not the end of the world and I know cats will be cats and all, but I'm kind of devastated right now. About Swiss chard. I know this is silly but they're some of the first plants I've ever grown successfully.

Oh, the cilantro was uprooted too. It looked fine, just uprooted, so I replanted it.

Also on the downside, our big beautiful dill is starting to droop. Why? It gets direct sunlight about 6.5 hours a day and is in a container... Maybe it needs more space? Less sun? More sun? To not be watered every other day?

On the upside, more stuff has grown in the salad mix patch and most of it looks distinctly not weedlike.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:07 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Buoyed by my lemon tree success, I've bought another fruit tree, an apricot tree, to keep indoors. This one was on a whim and .. I don't know if it will like being inside? And, hey, I picked the second lemon from my indoor lemon tree! There are like 7 more ripening and I am looking forward to lemonade.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:30 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Basil also needs warm nights to thrive. It rarely does well in my garden before the middle of July - and it's been so cold I haven't even planted it out yet this year.

Apricots: I think they all need cross pollination from another variety to bear fruit? Lemon trees do well inside because they're self-fertile, plus their waxy evergreen leaves hold up okay inside. You might do better with a lime or kumquat.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:09 pm 

Jill wrote:
Basil also needs warm nights to thrive. It rarely does well in my garden before the middle of July - and it's been so cold I haven't even planted it out yet this year.

Apricots: I think they all need cross pollination from another variety to bear fruit? Lemon trees do well inside because they're self-fertile, plus their waxy evergreen leaves hold up okay inside. You might do better with a lime or kumquat.

Yeah, for indoors, it's really mostly just citrus that will work. Bananas work, too, though! There are some cute dwarf bananas you could get. Apparently the other contenders for indoors is olive, pomegranate and pineapple!

The reason why many plants just can't work indoors even if you think you are giving it all the same stuff it would get outdoors, is the more stagnant air. It often leads to diseases/mildew or bug infestation.

Last edited by Mars on Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:09 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I got a late start and I don't really know what I'm doing, but I'm so excited! I'm growing tomatoes, lettuce and cucumbers in containers in my backyard... mostly in empty cat litter containers because I'm classy that way. My cucumbers have finally sprouted!

I am worried about one of my tomatoes... some of its leaves are getting more pale and yellow-ish... not outright yellow, more of a pale green in comparison to the bright green of the other leaves. No spots or holes in the leaves that I can see. Should I be concerned? Should I prune those leaves?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:44 pm 

Maybe that is overwatering as well? Now I think everything is overwatering.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:43 am 

IsaChandra wrote:
Maybe that is overwatering as well? Now I think everything is overwatering.

Everything totally is!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:26 am 

I'm learning!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:45 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

vintage wrote:
I got a late start and I don't really know what I'm doing, but I'm so excited! I'm growing tomatoes, lettuce and cucumbers in containers in my backyard... mostly in empty cat litter containers because I'm classy that way. My cucumbers have finally sprouted!

I am worried about one of my tomatoes... some of its leaves are getting more pale and yellow-ish... not outright yellow, more of a pale green in comparison to the bright green of the other leaves. No spots or holes in the leaves that I can see. Should I be concerned? Should I prune those leaves?

It depends on how they're yellowing and a few other details. For instance, only the lower leaves vs all the leaves? New growth vs old growth? Are there any spots involved? Are the yellow leaves curling or normal? Have you seen any bugs on the stems or leaves? It would help if you could post photos: one full plant and one close up of a problem leaf.

Generally,

-old growth at the bottom yellowing is often normal due to being shaded by bushy new growth above or it could be overwatering
-overall yellowing can be nutrient deficiency (lack of nitrogen) or lack of enough water during hot temps
-but if the problem plant is in the same soil, bed, pot as healthy plants, then it's probably not a nutrient issue
-if the yellowing is spreading upwards from lower leaves, it could be a sign of disease

I wouldn't worry about pruning leaves on a tomato plant unless they are diseased. If so, then you must bag and trash those leaves rather than compost them so you don't spread anything. Blight is a soil borne problem and its spores will splash up on the plant during rain and watering if it's present and you don't use a mulch to suppress splash. I use straw, it's cheap.

The only time I'd worry about pruning a tomato plant is to remove new branches at the base (suckers) so that the plant can focus on fruiting rather than foliage. I also find that in zone 5 where I am, that the plant itself starts to lose leaf vigor once fruiting is in full force. Which is fine at that point since it's the fruit I'm after. But young plants should be getting really lush right now and not yellowing.

I'll check back to see if you can post pics so we can confirm. I'm happy to help.

oh, also, I don't know where you're located but you could snip a leaf, be sure to bag it, and take that and the photos to a Plant Clinic Day at your County Extension office and they have Master Gardeners who can diagnose issues. We have Plant Clinics here in Chicago every Saturday year round. Be sure to bag it so if it is diseased, you don't introduce that problem to someone else's location. Ditto with garden center clinics.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:03 pm 

Wow, thanks! My camera is out of commission atm, so I can't post pictures right now. The yellowing does seem to be on the lower leaves, no curling, no bugs or spots--I'm wondering if perhaps it's getting too much shade from a neighboring plant. I will try moving it to a different location where it can get more sun and see what happens. The plant is fairly young (I grew it from seed).
I'm in zone 3b (I think) which is in Alberta, Canada. I don't know if we have garden clinics here, but I will find out!

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:52 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

vintage wrote:
Wow, thanks! My camera is out of commission atm, so I can't post pictures right now. The yellowing does seem to be on the lower leaves, no curling, no bugs or spots--I'm wondering if perhaps it's getting too much shade from a neighboring plant. I will try moving it to a different location where it can get more sun and see what happens. The plant is fairly young (I grew it from seed).
I'm in zone 3b (I think) which is in Alberta, Canada. I don't know if we have garden clinics here, but I will find out!

Thanks again!

If it's young and shaded by another plant, then yep, could need more sun. Tomatoes are full sun plants, love 7+ hours if they can get it.

I have had some plants that I sprouted from seed not be the same lush green as others tho grown under the same lights with the same timers. It's usually because I used two different seed starting mediums or planted them in different soil afterwards. I don't worry about it too much unless the plant is seriously suffering. Some varieties seem more prone to growth issues than others too. Just from what I can tell here in zone 5.

But yeah, I know nothing about zone 3b except you have a short short season. I don't envy you that.

There are Master Gardeners in Canada I know for sure because we have international conferences every other year. I just don't have any contact info for you up there. You may just have to google to find one close to you.

good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:21 am 
Married to the wolfman

One of my tomato plants has aphids. fork. I'm going to try some crepe from the bugs thread.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:55 pm 

Thanks for being so helpful snarkyV!

Everything is going pretty well in my garden. All of the tomatoes are doing loverly, I bet they'll riped in 2 or 3 weeks. The peas are looking beautiful and the chard has been really delicious. I've even mastered basil FINALLY and the carrots in containers have been so sweet.

Some complaints: The peppers never took off, they're still only about 2 inches high, what the fizzle. And I realized that I planted some of my winter squash too much in the shade so they're severely stunted. I'll remember that for next year! And I can't for the life of me transplant for shiitake. Everything I transplant dies. I guess I don't do a good job of getting the entire root system, but it's really hard! I'm going to try to be better about it, but that will probably have to wait for next year.

I just through some kale seeds into a shady spot to see what happens. Is there anything that's really good to plant in very hot weather? It's going to be in the 100s here for the next two months. I'll have a couple of empty containers once the carrots are ready and because of the failed peppers, I have a couple of empty spaces in the beds right now.

Here's a view of one bed from above:
You can see the stunted squash along the fence to the left and the better looking ones on the right, where there's more sun. The tomatoes are off to the right, except there is one rogue one there in the bed. It was a wimpy one I didn't think would grow, so I put it there and it's doing fine!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:55 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Isa, your tomatoes look awesome! Mine are almost that height. If it's any consolation, my lettuce is just now an inch tall! Planted it a month ago. It's just been too danged hot here and I can't water the beds fast enough. Even if I leave the hose on for 30 minutes in one spot, it's still dry an inch down. And that's WITH straw mulch. The heat has been hell in Chicago so far.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:57 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

coldandsleepy wrote:
One of my tomato plants has aphids. fork. I'm going to try some crepe from the bugs thread.

If you're ok killing aphids, soapy water sprayed directly on them works. Not too soapy, about what you'd do to wash dishes. And test it on a branch first to make sure it's not so strong it hurts the plant.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:25 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

We did a big clean up of my garden, I had too many little pots everywhere with half-dead plants in them. So I cleaned out the vegtrug and now my chilli plants are in there on their own, I still have some herbs and the lemon/lime tree gave us half a dozen lemons. I've got some seeds to plant but they're about to start work on repainting our complex so I'm going to wait because the gardens are going to get covered in paint flecks and trampled on :/

Isa, I'm jealous of your garden!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:58 am 
Married to the wolfman

snarkyvegan wrote:
coldandsleepy wrote:

If you're ok killing aphids, soapy water sprayed directly on them works. Not too soapy, about what you'd do to wash dishes. And test it on a branch first to make sure it's not so strong it hurts the plant.

Thanks... That's exactly what I tried. Doesn't seem to have hurt the plants (there's a beefsteak type tomato right next to the one that had the aphids, and while I couldn't find any on it, I sprayed just in case) and it did seem to get off the aphids. I checked both plants super thoroughly this morning (like every single leaf, top and bottom) and I didn't see any more aphids... Couple of tiny black fruit flies and the two spiders who are always on the one plant but that's it. So I guess I just keep monitoring and spraying if I see them again?

Some of the leaves on the formerly aphid-y plant do look gross, sort of yellow and spotty. They're not sticky or powdery and they're all lower leaves so I had been thinking it was a not enough light thing and popping them off. But now I'm worried that it's actually fungus from the aphid goo.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:37 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

coldandsleepy wrote:
snarkyvegan wrote:
coldandsleepy wrote:

Thanks... That's exactly what I tried. Doesn't seem to have hurt the plants (there's a beefsteak type tomato right next to the one that had the aphids, and while I couldn't find any on it, I sprayed just in case) and it did seem to get off the aphids. I checked both plants super thoroughly this morning (like every single leaf, top and bottom) and I didn't see any more aphids... Couple of tiny black fruit flies and the two spiders who are always on the one plant but that's it. So I guess I just keep monitoring and spraying if I see them again?

Some of the leaves on the formerly aphid-y plant do look gross, sort of yellow and spotty. They're not sticky or powdery and they're all lower leaves so I had been thinking it was a not enough light thing and popping them off. But now I'm worried that it's actually fungus from the aphid goo.

Yeah, better safe than sorry on the affected leaves. You should be able to trim them off without stunting the plant so long as there are more green than yellow leaves and the plant is basically healthy. It'll bounce right back and be even healthier. But aphids might come back, just keep an eye on it. It seems to me that some tomato varieties are more favored by aphids than others. No idea why but occasionally I have the same thing happen, where they go for one plant but not others. Spiders are good, try not to kill them.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:34 pm 

Another tomato plant question--on my larger plant I noticed one leaf is being eaten--lots of tiny little holes on it. Today I saw tiny little black beetles munching away on it. A little googling has led me to suspect Flea Beetles as the culprit. Anyone have any suggestions for dealing with these? I've read that some folks use garlic or hot pepper sprays to stop the bugs from eating. The plant seems otherwise healthy, though. (And the plant I asked about upthread is doing fine with no further yellowing!)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:45 pm 

One leaf? Eh, who cares.

(Don't take my advice, I'm a bad gardener.)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:54 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

The local extension office of UF is coming by the library next month to teach people how to get their veggie gardens ...started. Yes, we start veg gardens in August.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:32 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

vintage wrote:
Another tomato plant question--on my larger plant I noticed one leaf is being eaten--lots of tiny little holes on it. Today I saw tiny little black beetles munching away on it. A little googling has led me to suspect Flea Beetles as the culprit. Anyone have any suggestions for dealing with these? I've read that some folks use garlic or hot pepper sprays to stop the bugs from eating. The plant seems otherwise healthy, though. (And the plant I asked about upthread is doing fine with no further yellowing!)

My guess was flea beetles once you said tiny holes! I get them too if I plant Red Giant Japanese Mustard. To the point that I use mustard now as my trap crop to lure them away from the chard.

AND Isa's right, if it's just one leaf and the infestation isn't bad enough to affect the health of the plant, don't fret too much but keep an eye on them.

BUT, you should cut that leaf, bag it and trash it because they can spread bacteria and such. But those little buggers move fast so bagging the leaf won't bag the bugs. You'll still need to spray with hot pepper or garlic spray if you want to be rid of them completely. Yellow sticky traps are supposed to work but I can't even get fruit flies to stick to them. Then there's the whole, "do I want to kill, yada yada yada"....which led me back to using mustard as a lure.

I try not to spray everything, even with organics, because spraying usually hits both the good and the bad bugs. It's preferable, if you're organic, to attract predators like parasitic wasps and toads which will eat flea beetles, among other bugs.

And if they do get out of control, you can dust the soil around the plant and the plant itself with diatomaceous earth. Flea beetles lay eggs in the soil so the larve will feed on roots while adults stick to leaves and stems. Shouldn't affect fruit.

This Fall, plant some garlic cloves 3 inches into the ground where you plan to plant tomatoes next Spring. Onion and garlic are natural repellants. Just don't plant onions/garlic where you plan to put beans or asparagus. I planted the bed that had flea beetles last year with solid garlic then planted my tomatoes in between the garlic. So far, no sign of mature flea beetles this year! I also threw in a bunch of marigold plants here and there for good measure.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 847 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 34  Next