| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Veggie Burger Recipe
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:24 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

So tomorrow I'm making my first attempt at veggie burgers (I can't believe it's taken me this long to try), anyone have any recommendations? I don't have any cookbooks that have burger recipes so maybe one that is available online? I don't have a crazy stocked kitchen so something I'm trying to do something simple. I tried searching the forums but alas, only one recipe and it had way more ingredients than I have on hand...

Post subject: Re: Veggie Burger Recipe
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:13 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

vegan dad's tempeh burgers are really awesome. do you have vital wheat gluten? they call for it as do isa's black bean burgers, but you could always sub some flour and bread crumbs or something or oat flour.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:26 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

http://melomeals.blogspot.com/2010/09/v ... -menu.html

This is simple and you can use whatever grains/nuts/legumes you have on hand. You can replace the psyllium with flax seed or even add a bit of flour to bind it.

Also, if you have leftover bean soup, give this a try:

http://melomeals.blogspot.com/2009/03/3 ... t-and.html

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:09 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I make veggie burgers all the time! They are great for a quick meal and I can chop them up and stuff them in a pita for lunch on the go.
I worked for a few months on perfecting a recipe that satisfied both my desire for a burger and my hubby's craving for meat. I use TVP for mine, I start by squeezing all the water out that I can. This helps keep it from getting mushy. I use all-purpose flour, because I will be honest, I don't like the texture of VWG in most things. I add in finely chopped green onion, garlic, red pepper flakes, and any other spices I feel like that day. I use oat flour in my burgers as well. I like the texture and flavor it adds. I mix everything together with veggie broth or water, about a teaspoon of liquid smoke and my secret ingredient--peanut butter. I put a good sized dollop and mix well. I make these alot, and if I ever get the time to write the recipe down I will share it. My hubby said they are the best veggie burgers he has ever had.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:25 pm 
Pumpkinhead's lovechild

I've had this on my to-make list for a while now. Haven't tried it so I don't know how good it is. Need something for the eggs though

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:50 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

These bbq tempeh burgers are the only ones i've ever made, but they're gooooood.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:04 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Maarschmellow wrote:
I've had this on my to-make list for a while now. Haven't tried it so I don't know how good it is. Need something for the eggs though

Oh, that one looks good! I've been looking at this one. Not quite sure what's holding me back...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:07 am 
Tofu Pup

This one from My Vegan Cookbook is very good:

# 3/4 Cup Old Fashioned Oats
# 1 Cup Brown Rice, Cooked
# 1 - 4 oz. Can Mushrooms
# 1 1/2 Tablespoons Wheat Gluten
# 1 1/2 Tablespoons Whole Wheat Flour
# 1 Teaspoon Flaxseed
# 1 Teaspoon Brown Sugar
# 1 Teaspoon Liquid Smoke
# 1 Teaspoon Chili Powder
# 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
# 1 Teaspoon Onion Powder
# 1/2 Teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
# 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
# 1/4 Teaspoon Black Pepper
# 2 1/2 Tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
# 1/2 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil

In a food processor, process the oats, rice and mushrooms separately. You want to do them separately so that the ingredients do not become too finely chopped. Chop the mushrooms until coarsely chopped, put in the mixing bowl. Then do the oats and brown rice, just pulse them enough to break them into smaller bits and throw those into the mixing bowl as well.

Now add the wheat gluten, flour, flaxseed, brown sugar, liquid smoke, chili powder, garlic and onion powder, old bay seasoning, salt, black pepper, balsamic vinegar and olive oil into the mixing bowl and smoosh the ingredients together with greased hands for about 1 and 1/2 minutes. It's important to do this to activate the wheat gluten.

Wash your hands and grease them again. Scoop out 4 - 1/3 cup portions of the mixture for each patty and flatten them out into about 1/2 inch thick patties.

Cook them in a non-stick skillet on medium to low heat. I spray my skillet with a little bit of cooking spray and then pour about 1/2 a tablespoon of water into the skillet and let it sizzle around the burgers while they cook, covered. The water will create a steam bath and cook them better and prevent them from burning.

After they are lightly brown on each side and cooked all the way through let them set up for about 10 minutes. They will become completely firm.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:52 am 
Pumpkinhead's lovechild

wave runner wrote:
These bbq tempeh burgers are the only ones i've ever made, but they're gooooood.

1/2 cup of BBQ sauce

half a cup?

Wow

Also the cup of water strikes me as kind of weird

Edit: Good burger though. When reading the recipe the 1/2 cup bit sounds from the other room came back saying 1/2 tablespoon. Ended up using 3 tablespoons of BBQ sauce and 2 of tomato paste as a compromise.
I found it a bit bland, nudging to go back to that 1/2 cup. But the other eater liked it that way.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:15 am 
Baking In The Flavor

Joanna Vaught has a DIY general veggie burger recipe on her blog. It is very general and quite flexible.

http://www.joannavaught.com/2010/11/01/ ... y-burgers/