PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:04 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

And yay! Emmy's!

Post subject: Re: vegan Seattle
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:49 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Pinko wrote:
greenie wrote:
yes yes, take the ferry to Bainbridge and go to Emmy's! We live out there and my kids are crazy for Emmy's, crazy I say.

I'm taking advantage of this thread being bumped to say: Hi! I live on Bainbridge, too! You know, if you happen to check this thread ever.

You live on Bainbridge!? I did not know that. I was supposed to go there this summer with my roommates to stay with one roommate's parents. If it ever happens I will let you know! Emmy's! I want to go to there with you.

I have put my mouth, this is the best sandwich. Since. I agree Araya monkeytoes too much, especially the lunch buffet. I have no idea of ​​the city center. I mean try headstrong, but I have not made there. --spam!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:15 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

katiejayne wrote:
Pinko wrote:
greenie wrote:
yes yes, take the ferry to Bainbridge and go to Emmy's! We live out there and my kids are crazy for Emmy's, crazy I say.

I'm taking advantage of this thread being bumped to say: Hi! I live on Bainbridge, too! You know, if you happen to check this thread ever.

You live on Bainbridge!? I did not know that. I was supposed to go there this summer with my roommates to stay with one roommate's parents. If it ever happens I will let you know! Emmy's! I want to go to there with you.

Do!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:23 pm 
Dead by dawn

We should totally have a BI meetup! Pinko and Dean are always coming over here. And, even though I can see it from my work window (well, not today, but when it's clear) I have never been to Bainbridge.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:31 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Yes! We can eat a bunch of salty mock meats and then buy up all the sad, lonely chocolate applesauce cake at Blackbird Bakery. And you will all gain a deeper appreciation of your many, many options over on that side.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:38 pm 
Dead by dawn

Haha, I feel like you're mocking my idea but people who don't have to take the ferry to get places sometimes like to take it for, like, the scenery and the experience and stuff... or so some people claim, anyway. I don't know!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:50 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Not mocking! I would love a BI meetup. I just worry that you'd all be like, "We took the ferry for this? Bah! Pinko, you are hereby banished from all future Seattle meetups. Good day!" And then I would be sad.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:50 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Because I know you guys are big banishers.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:24 pm 
Dead by dawn

You'll flounce before we banish you.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:43 pm 
Grandfathered In

I've had applesauce cake from the Blackbird. It's good!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:35 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Hi Seattle! I'm going to be visiting next weekend with some Omni friends. Can anybody recommend some good places for lunches and dinners? We're staying downtown and will probably be doing some touristy stuff (museums, the market, etc) in addition to exploring some of the neighborhoods.

Thanks!!
Jenn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:01 pm 
Dead by dawn

If you're looking for omni places that have vegan options, we've (barely!) started a list/database, which you can find here: http://www.forum.theppk.com/viewtopic.php?p=346124#p346124

The ones I can think of off the top of my head that are downtown or Belltown are Cherry St Coffee (several locations, Field Roast for sandwiches and I don't know what else,) Mexico (ask for the vegan menu,) Pan Africa (several Ethiopian vegan dishes,) Wild Ginger, Cafe Zum Zum (several veg curries every day, owner says the special is always vegan,) and Bang Bang Cafe (vegan options for breakfast for sure, not sure about what else.)

The beginning of that thread has a bunch of the veg*n restaurants if your omni friends are up for that.

That should sort of get you started. I realize the list isn't super helpful because it doesn't have neighborhoods or anything, but it you tell us where specifically you might be headed, we can fill in the blanks! You won't go hungry in Seattle, I promise.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:39 pm 
Grandfathered In

Moonlight Café (Central District) has an omni menu and a vegan menu.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:28 am 

Thanks guys. I'll never get them to an all vegan place, but I appreciate the suggestions! Hopefully I won't be forced to eat lettuce the whole trip. At least I'll be coming from Portland where I can stockpile the vegan goodies.

Jenn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:34 am 
Dead by dawn

Just to be clear, the link I posted is to a list of omni restaurants where you can definitely get more than lettuce!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:35 am 

monkeytoes wrote:
Just to be clear, the link I posted is to a list of omni restaurants where you can definitely get more than lettuce!

Yep, I looked at the link :) Just meant that hopefully I'll get to eat at places like this and won't be stuck elsewhere. Sorry if that came out wrong!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:32 pm 
Dead by dawn

ifer wrote:
monkeytoes wrote:

Yep, I looked at the link :) Just meant that hopefully I'll get to eat at places like this and won't be stuck elsewhere. Sorry if that came out wrong!

Gotcha! Good luck and I hope your friends are considerate enough to take your suggestions. It would be a shame to come to a city with so much good vegan food and get stuck with a limp salad.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:33 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

So we went to Pan Africa and had yummy Ethiopian food. Are there other good places to get Ethiopian food? Also, any suggestions on where to get vegan food for me that also has fishy stuff for my pescetarian hubby?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:36 pm 
Grandfathered In

Seattle has a ton of Ethiopian places. Yelp says there's 12, but there must be tons more. We go to Assimba, on Cherry near MLK.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:29 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Hi Seattle! I am coming up in a few weeks, I haven't been to your fair city in years so I am really excited!!!!

So far I know I want to eat a Picard sandwich, go to the sci-fi museum and the art museum, and wander around the library. Basically, I want to have the nerdiest trip ever.

We are also really into handmade local crafts and I love trees and botanical gardens, any tips in that direction?

Also, fine dining and dumplings are two things I miss living here, any recs?

Also, I think I usually prefer public transportation to driving and parking but if it easier with a car I'm willing to rent. What do you think?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:03 am 
Grandfathered In

Car-free is certainly possible, but I'm going to be the big bad jerk and say driving will make things easier.

Check out the (big!) arboretum (http://depts.washington.edu/uwbg/gardens/wpa.shtml), which includes a lovely Japanese garden (http://www.seattle.gov/parks/parkspaces/japanesegarden.htm).

Dumplings... Hmmm... Maybe Bamboo Garden (near Seattle Center)? Or Teapot (Capitol Hill)?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:50 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Thanks Footface!!! The arboretum looks lovely. When I first moved to Austin I was all excited about the arboretum and then I learned it was the name of a shopping mall.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:14 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

For fine dining (I'm not sure I would call it fine dining, but it seemed fancy to me when I went there a few years ago and sat on their patio) check out Carmelita.

Also, you should eat at Wayward for breakfast. All vegan! Delicious! I used to love the Picard at Georgetown Liquor Company the most of all sandwiches ever, but the last time I went it wasn't as good. Highline has tasty sandwiches (all vegan bar!) and they also have fried pickles!! I don't have any ideas for dumplings, but Moonlight is my favorite place to eat out when I'm in Seattle.

Maybe rent a car for part of the trip? Getting around downtown isn't tricky (that I remember from when I was 18 and still lived there...) so if you're going to the art museum and the library on the same day you wouldn't need a car for that. Where are you staying?

Meetup while you're in town? Will you be in town on a weekend? I haven't been home to visit my family in awhile so if there is a hangout on a Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning I could possibly come! Perhaps Sunday breakfast at Wayward!!

I have put my mouth, this is the best sandwich. Since. I agree Araya monkeytoes too much, especially the lunch buffet. I have no idea of ​​the city center. I mean try headstrong, but I have not made there. --spam!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:36 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

LazySmurf wrote:
Also, fine dining and dumplings are two things I miss living here, any recs?

Also, I think I usually prefer public transportation to driving and parking but if it easier with a car I'm willing to rent. What do you think?

For fine dining, check out Sutra.
Sutra and Tilth are the closest you're going to get to vegan friendly fine dining. I say fine dining in air quotes.
Sutra is a supper club though and while reservations aren't required I would urge you make them should you decide to go. It's worth the $40!

http://www.sutraseattle.com/
http://www.tilthrestaurant.com/home

Public transit is decent and it'll give you a different view of the city but if you go with a rental car, be prepared to pay for parking and such in certain neighborhoods (Downtown & Capitol Hill).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:07 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I really thought you guys had more fine dining places! I guess I didn't know what I was talking about! Sutra looks really good.

We were thinking of staying at the city hostel which is downtown. I am actually coming just Monday and Tuesday (July 9 & 10) which is pretty weird but I'm coming up for a friend's pre wedding party in Portland that weekend. So sadly no Sunday breakfast even though brunch with PPKers is my most favorite thing. It's going to be a whirlwind trip!