| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Veganism Causes Gluten Intolerance!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:14 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

Or so I have been told...Since finding out I can no longer tolerate gluten, my mom and stepdad have become very vocal in saying that veganism and all of it's processed foods caused my issues. This coming from a couple that eats lots of processed food from Aldi.:/ While I did eat things like Gardein, they weren't staples in my diet and I know I eat less and healthier processed food than they do. But they are clueless. Anyways, has anyone been told that a wheat-heavy vegan diet causes gluten intolerance? Are you aware of any sources I can send them to disprove their theory? And while I haven't been tested (I just can't bring myself to eat wheat for the test and feel bad again), I am strongly suspecting mine is Celiac, especially considering my dad and sister both have autoimmune diseases, and given all of the things that have since cleared up for me. I know I should just ignore it, but we will be visiting them in a few weeks and I'd like to have some info to back me up.:) Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Veganism Causes Gluten Intolerance!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:32 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Vegan diets don't need to be wheat heavy or high in processed foods. Check out the gluten free boards here for good meal ideas. A number of the recipes in Isa's blog are also labeled gluten free.

If they are that vocal and really think that not eating meat causes a gluten intolerance, I doubt there is anything you can say or do to convince them.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:43 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

It's not your responsibility to research every unfounded claim people make. If your mom and stepdad keep bothering you about it, ask them where they are getting this information from. You really can't discuss it in any reasonable way otherwise.

Last edited by Beanitarian on Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:48 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

All the people with gluten intolerance or celiac that I know are all meat eaters.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:49 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Like everyone else said, there are plenty of gluten free options out there. Even for fake meat, there are soy curls and the fantastic new beyond meat stuff that I recently sampled.

It sounds to me like your problem with gluten is likely genetic if both of your parents have autoimmune issues, but I don't think anyone really knows what causes these things definitively (though plenty claim to).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:52 pm 

P.S. you don't have to eat gluten to get tested for it. :) Go get the celiac test! It's important to know for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:58 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

Mars wrote:
P.S. you don't have to eat gluten to get tested for it. :) Go get the celiac test! It's important to know for sure.

Really?? I was told you have to have it in your system or it isn't always accurate. I should just go because I think that would be the only response I could have that might make them stop judging.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:09 pm 

Oops you might be right. I said that because my friend was tested for celiac and it was a blood draw, came back negative, but she did not eat gluten near to the test if I remember right. It never crossed her mind and I don't think she was told to. But I just looked online and it does say people can get false negatives from if they are not eating it. :/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:18 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

Yea I want to be tested to know for sure, but at the same time, I know that eliminating it has made me feel 100% after being sick for so long and I am terrified to go back to feeling that way! I guess if I ever accidentally get glutened I could always schedule a test...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:11 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

From what I understand, there are a great majority of people who are gluten-intolerant and don't realize it because they think some of the symptoms are just normal. I have a friend who was not diagnosed with Celiac until she was in her 30s. My understanding is that Celiac is genetic so if you already have autoimmune disorders in your family, that's the most likely reason from it. Rather than trying to disprove that veganism is the cause of your intolerance (which might be imposible to prove), it would probably be easier to provide them with information on why it's probably genetic given your family history. Or just ignore them and tehir opinion. :)

Also, for testing, (my daughter has been tested for Celiac and will be retested), you're right that you're supposed to be on a gluten diet to avoid false negatives. Testing can be done by blood or by a small biopsy of the small intestine (I think that's what they biopsy). From that I've heard, in some cases the biopsy is better for certain cases. You could still talk to your doctor about the IgA/IgG testing without going a gluten-diet. When my daughter was tested, she was on a g/f diet and she still showed raised levels of certain things which were attributed to autoimmune issues (just not confirmed as Celiac).

My wee blog:

http://www.mommethree.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:07 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Beanitarian wrote:
It's not your responsibility to research every unfounded claim people make. If your mom and stepdad keep bothering you about it, ask them where they are getting this information from. You really can't discuss it in any reasonable way otherwise.

yeah, this. it's on them to prove to you that veganism DOES cause it, if they want to. otherwise they can just shut up, or you can just ignore them.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:06 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Mars wrote:
All the people with gluten intolerance or celiac that I know are all meat eaters.

I was also diagnosed with celiac disease pre-vegan. And I was nearly 50 at the time. But, this has nothing to do with why I have celiac disease. As someone has already said, genetics cause celiac disease. It runs in my family. Although I was the first member accurately diagnosed, we discovered that it must go back several generations, given the health history in my family.

However, that is not to say that meat eating has nothing at all to do with it. Many, many things can lead to gluten intolerance, not the least of which is excessive exposure to antibiotics. (kills friendly gut bacteria, leaves a yeasty gut behind. yeast doesn't digest grains, it ferments them, causing considerable bloat etc upon the consumption of grains. A lot of people are gluten intolerant because they are dis-biotic.) Considering how many potent antibiotics are used on animals, no doubt this is a contributing factor.

Compounding the antibiotic issue is the issue of how many grains are fed to animals, the fact that some of these animals are not anatomically designed to consume grains, and may not properly process them. Consider how much of the gluten is building up within the animals' tissues, etc.

And this one, from my doctor: for the past 10 years in the USA, all products containing flour are mandated to have folate (aka folic acid) added to them. But the laboratory made folate is not the equivalent of natural folate. Chemical folate is built on a glutamic acid chain (as opposed to a methyl group). If you stack up enough glutamic acid chains, you make a gluten molecule. Therefore, all products containing flour in the US are unnaturally high in gluten - higher than they would be if left alone. Thus sensitive individuals are being exposed to more gluten than they otherwise would be, triggering their reaction. Persons eating a lot of processed foods are eating this high-gluten flour all day long! That's got to be contributing to the problem.

We have to look at this as a condition-of-the-food-supply problem in general, not one specific cause.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:28 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

The prevalence in the US is around 0.71% and most of those are undiagnosed, so chances are that if you do know someone with it they will be omni, assuming most of the people you know are omnis. Unless there's a bias in terms of diagnosis, since it's still vastly underdiagnosed.