| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hannah Kaminsky's Vegan a la Mode.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:28 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

This started shipping early! (HURRAH!).

Now, I will have to admit. Right now, I am m.a.d.l.y in love with making banana soft serve ice cream. (Which is very ironic because I hate the taste of bananas usually. I can only eat a banana if it is ripe. not too ripe, but not like "UGH!" still "raw". so I drown my soft serve in extract).

But that's moot.

I am VERY much excited for this book because I got an ice cream maker for a grad gift! I actually purchased "Vegan Desserts" SIMPLY because of three recipes:

Carrot Cake Ice Cream (you can never go wrong with Carrot Cake ANYTHING)
Peach? (Apricot?) Ice Cream
and French Vanilla Ice Cream.

I can not wait for this sucker to come here and I can make delicious goodies. I am very intrigued to see what's in here!

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Hannah Kaminsky's Vegan a la Mode.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:12 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Mine should be here Monday. It took ALL of my willpower not to pay $3.99 for overnight shipping, since it would still technically be less than the full price of the book. I was doing so well on cookbooks and recently my willpower just crashed and I check every other day to see if any are shipping early. This one being released early probably just made me start checking daily instead.

I also need to order that custard powder for the French Vanilla.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:27 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Bekki, me too. that is like the ONLY ingredient... that and... vanilla paste? i think (no store I know sells it).

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:14 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Where do you live? I got my vanilla paste at TJMaxx and I've seen it at Ross, too.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:02 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I live in Canada... i look in the baking aisle, and the health food section, health food store and no good.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:51 am 
Saggy Butt

I wish I had pre-ordered now, I have Hannah's e-book of the same name and if it's anything to go by this book would be a winner when summer rolls around.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:45 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

So by some magical fluke in the delivery system, mine came yesterday instead! In true HK fashion, there are new takes on old classics, inventive but traditional recipes and amazingly inventive ideas, too.

I made cheesecake ice cream last night and it was amazing with raspberry preserves and a bit of crumbled graham cracker. Since I have that Mori-nu around that needs to be used up quickly I'll probably be making several more over the next few days, starting with either German Chocolate or Tiramisu...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:51 am 
Chard Martyr

I am not super into ice cream or spending a lot of money on an ice cream maker, but I just want to say that it is awesome and amazing that veganism has become mainstream (in a good way) enough to include niche vegan dessert books like Hannah's.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:23 am 
Not NOT A Furry

see, you know. technically I'm not me, but I like ice cream, and I got a maker for a grad gift. (They aren't really that expensive either, I was surprised by that because I was prepared to buy one for myself anyway). But I totally agree. the Vegan movement has exploded and now we can enjoy creamy, dreamy treats

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:18 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I do love ice cream, in much the same way I love beer...just in small amounts and I'm always up for trying something new. I normally wouldn't be making so much (which has been one a day for what will wind up being 4 days tomorrow) but I have to use up my Mori-nu that just expired. I got my (nice!) ice cream maker at Goodwill for $8.

I'm with you on loving the niche books. There are plenty I don't care to buy but I get excited seeing them because that means publishers think vegan cooking is worth the risk.

daisy, you could get vanilla paste on amazon, or if nothing else, just use quality extract. It won't be as pretty but should still taste good.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:56 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Question for those that have this- do the recipes use soy creamer (or any other kind of creamer)? I have one vegan ice cream book and everything asks for creamer, which we don't have here. I want this but I also want to be able to actually make the recipes!

And for what it's worth, vanilla paste is in the baking aisles of supermarkets here, too.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:54 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Very few seem to use creamer, however, many do use silken tofu.

Overall, it seems like a decent variety of ingredient methods. I know sometimes a complaint of ice cream books is they use one or two base recipes and just change the flavors. This one doesn't really do that.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:08 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

this is true. Lick It! and the vegan scoop were pretty much the same thing.

surprised that "chocolate chip cookie dough" and other 'standards' weren't in here. (but things like birthday cake and cookie explosion or whatever that one is, makes me happy).

hm. I'll continue to hunt. we have vanilla POWDER. vanilla beans... vanilla extract, and I know i can export the paste, but it's the principle of the thing. :D

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:36 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

okay so i made the french vanilla ice cream. most of it ended up in my belly before it hit the ice cream maker. I had actually HAD enough to qualify for a quart but then i thought it wasn't really soft or ice cream looking just colder custard. so i actually melted it down, and blended it and did it again (and i got a smaller - same result) . I i think i was expecting it to be scoopable ice cream

its DELISH and not a lot wasted, and now i know for next time. the next one i am making is proably going to be the plum or the cinnamon-graham ones

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:22 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

My copy arrived and I'm so impressed with it! This is much better than other vegan ice cream recipes that I've seen in books or online. Everything is so creative and sounds amazing. I made the peanut butter bombshell ice cream the other night and it's by far the best ice cream I've made. We've still got half of it left, but I've got the bowl of my ice cream maker in the freezer anyway because I don't think it will last past tonight. Next up is the strawberry lemon curd ice cream (Boyfriend's choice).

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:46 pm 
Chard Martyr

daisysunshine wrote:
okay so i made the french vanilla ice cream. most of it ended up in my belly before it hit the ice cream maker. I had actually HAD enough to qualify for a quart but then i thought it wasn't really soft or ice cream looking just colder custard. so i actually melted it down, and blended it and did it again (and i got a smaller - same result) . I i think i was expecting it to be scoopable ice cream

its DELISH and not a lot wasted, and now i know for next time. the next one i am making is proably going to be the plum or the cinnamon-graham ones

I don't know if this was the problem, but ice cream usually doesn't get to be firm scoopable ice cream right outta the ice cream maker. It has to go into the freezer for at least a few hours first.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:57 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm super tempted by this, but I can't, in good conscience, buy a book if I don't even know what's in it (apart from ice cream recipes). Can anyone post the table of contents/list of flavours?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:23 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

ijustdiedinside - that's what I figured. mine turned into a thick ballish of yum. i wasn't expecting it to happen SO fast (less than 20 minutes is like 10 minutes!). i was bummed because i did lose about 1/2 of my quart (but again most of the custard went into my tummy), so now I know what to do for next time,

rachel - mine isn't with me, you get a lot of dessert.cookie based desserts, lot of fruity concocotions, chocolate/vanilla variations, and toppings/mix-ins

cinnamon-graham, baklava....cherry pie...etc etc etc :)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:02 pm 
Nailed to the V

The French Vanilla is soo good!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:13 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I let my kids choose which ones we'll make first, so of course I have the Blue Moon mix chilling now. Will let you know how it turns out.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:06 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

it really is. I wish I had a bigger freezer because i want MUCH MORE
I have 4 lbs of strawberries for Strawberry Lemon Curd, and Spring Blush Sorbet. (and more french vanilla will be made).

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:36 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Okay, i have to say the strawberry lemon curd is chilling right now. I never used agar before, and i was very worried about using it but it made the lemon curd right away. Hannah never specified what kind of lemon juice to use, so I used fresh lemons (it took nearly 2/3rds of my3lb bag of the stuff). I had for whatever reason thought I needed 2lbs of strawberries, but only one was needed, and everything is gelling in the fridge. before I go to bed, I am going to churn this puppy out

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:42 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I made the strawberry lemon curd the other day and it's super good! It was Boyfriend's choice- he really likes strawberry ice cream and I'm not that into it, but I love anything super lemony, so this is great for both of us! The texture is more like sorbet than the peanut butter one was, but I think that's because I put pretty much all of the lemon curd in there.

I think I'm keen to try the salted cashew ice cream next, it just sounds really interesting.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:39 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Erinnerung - i added ALL the curd in there too. I love this book because it's like twists... it's not just Vanilla - but FRENCH vanilla. It's not just chocolate, but it's black pearl, and hot chocolate. it's not just strawberry but Strawberry lemon curd...

it was hilarious to start reading the negative comments. someone dinged it because it wasn't healthy and had too much sugar. you think?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:08 am 
Not NOT A Furry

the Spring Bush Sorbet asks for vanilla (1tsp) but it isn't in the instructions. I added it in because it went from strawberry rhubarb yummy to that oooooooooo factor

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next