| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3408 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73 ... 137  Next
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:56 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

luckyklutz wrote:
So,I did a downhill half marathon yesterday and I can barely walk today. It also feels like my hip is popping out of place when I take a step. My back and abs hurt too. Lesson learned.

Beeee careful with that hip. It sounds a hell of a lot like what I went through when I got coxa saltans -- hip tendon gets inflamed and feels like your hip is out of its socket.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:30 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I'm taking it super easy today. Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:20 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Recently I did a 47:55 in a 10k fun run! It's the first time I made a sub-48 10k, so I'm very very happy (:

Just yesterday I finished first at a 6k fun run. It was a tiny event so I just focused on doing my very best, and I'm satisfied with the 27:22 because I was pooped (still am)!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:26 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

luckyklutz wrote:

A nice half hour jog along a scenic route? Or swimming!

I think lots of runners do yoga on their rest days - it sounds incredibly relaxing and I need to get around to trying it! Perhaps as part of training, though, if I did yoga on an easy day I'd be really sore the next.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:37 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

mustardseed wrote:
luckyklutz wrote:

A nice half hour jog along a scenic route? Or swimming!

I think lots of runners do yoga on their rest days - it sounds incredibly relaxing and I need to get around to trying it! Perhaps as part of training, though, if I did yoga on an easy day I'd be really sore the next.

Honestly I probably wouldn't jog on it. Swimming sounds like your best bet. Or rolling around in a wheelchair.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:22 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Yeah, I don't think running is even physically an option right now. On the plus side, my upper body is getting a killer strength workout!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:47 pm 
Double double, toil and trouble

After taking a week off of running (and swimming instead) to nurse my injured ankles, I restarted my marathon training plan today! 5.5 easy miles this morning, and no more ankle/calf pain! I returned the Brooks Pure shoes that I purchased a few weeks ago and am now running in Brooks Green Silence. I like them a more than my Newtons as they feel much sturdier, not having lugs. I'm not sure yet whether or not they're THE shoe, but so far they're nice!

I'm still getting tender toes, though! No blistering, bruising, black toenails, etc., just tenderness on the bottoms of my toes as I run. I was professionally fitted for these shoes, and I went through thirty or so pairs before deciding on them, so I'm not convinced it's a style/size issue (I was getting this with the Newtons, too, though they were quite worn down when I finally ditched them). I'm going to try out some new, thin running socks next time I run-- I've been wearing cotton, but I think it's gotten too hot for that. And I'm trying to stay off of the concrete as much as possible, though there's not much I can do about the hills. I might invest in some of those little gel toe protectors if this keeps up. Has anyone used them?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:09 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I have a concern about shoe size as well. I ws recently professionally fitted in a pair of NB 1080. I tried quite a few shoes at the store and these seemed the best. I usually wear a women's 10 but sometimes a 9.5 in all shoes but have always bought a 10 running shoe and sometimes a men's 9 (W10.5). I have been running for >10 years at usually anywhere from 40-60 km a week. I have never had any issues with my toes or toe nails other than a persistent and non-troublesome callous on my left 2nd toe.

I am concerned that the shoes are too small as they feel snug against my feet after I have been out for 15 minutes. I have not run much, and no more than 8 k, since I got them so I don't know if they will be worse after a longer distance, and in the long term, or if I was wearing my shoes too big before and they will be fine.

The store has a no-questions-asked return policy so I can still return them.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:53 pm 
Inflexitarian

Did a 5k run. For the last kilometre I decided to just run faster for the hell of it (okay maybe a random stranger ran past me and I suddenly felt competative. That's not weird, right?) In spite of going faster for the last bit it didn't actually feel any more strenuous... So I'm thinking maybe I'll try going faster for more than just a little bit next time.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:33 am 
Saggy Butt

Arisaig wrote:
I have a concern about shoe size as well. I ws recently professionally fitted in a pair of NB 1080. I tried quite a few shoes at the store and these seemed the best. I usually wear a women's 10 but sometimes a 9.5 in all shoes but have always bought a 10 running shoe and sometimes a men's 9 (W10.5). I have been running for >10 years at usually anywhere from 40-60 km a week. I have never had any issues with my toes or toe nails other than a persistent and non-troublesome callous on my left 2nd toe.

I wear New Balance and always buy 8.5 even though my normal shoe size is 7.5 or 8.

Way to go, mustardseed! That's a great time!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:00 am 
Double double, toil and trouble

Arisaig wrote:

I am concerned that the shoes are too small as they feel snug against my feet after I have been out for 15 minutes. I have not run much, and no more than 8 k, since I got them so I don't know if they will be worse after a longer distance, and in the long term, or if I was wearing my shoes too big before and they will be fine.

The store has a no-questions-asked return policy so I can still return them.

I went through this recently and ended up returning a pair of shoes I love in store and during my quick jog around the store parking lot. After a couple of miles, I realized they didn't have any room to account for swelling, and were too large in the hell to boot! It can be tough to find something that fits right straight out of the store. I'd go on another run in them and try various lacing methods throughout the run. If they're still too snug, try a half size up, or maybe a different style.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:39 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

An hour run on the beach.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:45 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I am just getting back into running and am pretty out of shape. I was getting kind of sad and frustrated about not being able to run like I used to but I'm starting to feel a lot healthier and it's getting easier so that's pretty awesome. Yesterday I had tons of negative energy from arguing with my brother and so I just took all that and ran and ran. I hit the beach, (the tide was up again... I have a knack for never checking the tides... or checking and not caring)... so it was a splashy and foot soaking experience (which I love/hate). On the way home I got another burst of anger (I'm right! He's wrong! ;P) so instead of turning up my driveway I veered into the woods and did this thing where I had to jump over roots and stuff on this underused path. That kind of rocked. I'm excited to go again later but I'm waiting until late afternoon cuz I'm ginger and burn like a mofo.

:D

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:34 pm 
Inflexitarian

Did the Pride & Remembrance Run for Toronto Pride. 5k, 32:22!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:06 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I went on that fun, bumpy path through the woods, then down to the beach, at the end of the beach I ditched the shoes and tank top for a splash in the ocean, put shoes and shirt back on, ran back to the begining of the beach and then home. I have no clue how far this is but alogether I was out for an hour to an hour and a half I would guess. I don't go fast... but I feel really good. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:27 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

One week til I run The British 10k, woohoo!

Last 9.6km run tomorrow, then a bit of light training next week.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:17 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Good luck with that Vez.
I'm thinking of doing a 10k in August. If I don't do that one I think I'll do one in October. Me wanting to run 10k. Unbelievable!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:43 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Good luck, Vez!
I am seriously done with this hip-pain thing. I did something to my lower back on the right side moving furniture about two weeks ago, and then when I tried to run/walk around the city all day on it, the pain mysteriously migrated to my hip. I tried to go for a very short, very slow run today and I had to stop after a quarter mile.
I've been doing yoga just to keep working out, but I had just got to the point where I love running for its own sake again, and now this. I'm a little worried but I don't know if I should go to the doctor yet.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:25 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I'm going so slow (jogg...jogg) I don't even know if I should be posting here but here I am anyway. I am making improvements for sure. At this stage of the game it would be hard not too. I'm focusing on length of time out, finding a rythem that's comfortable, distance (aprox) and consistancy, rather than speed. I'm not speedy. I was out for just under an hour today. I hit the woods, or rather a private road through the woods. After that I ran down to and along the beach. I don't know that I'll ever get the tides/timing right ... haha I may just stop trying.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:28 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

I've decided to do C25K rather than forcing myself to run as if I haven't been out of commission for the last four months--sure way to make me hate it! So sad to see how unfit I've become, but excited to get back in running shape! Day 1 was doable.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:32 pm 
Dead by dawn

Ozma wrote:
I'm going so slow (jogg...jogg) I don't even know if I should be posting here but here I am anyway. I am making improvements for sure. At this stage of the game it would be hard not too. I'm focusing on length of time out, finding a rythem that's comfortable, distance (aprox) and consistancy, rather than speed. I'm not speedy. I was out for just under an hour today. I hit the woods, or rather a private road through the woods. After that I ran down to and along the beach. I don't know that I'll ever get the tides/timing right ... haha I may just stop trying.

If you're putting one foot in front of the other, you should be posting in here. For my money, you're focusing on the right things; speed comes later.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:58 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Thank you monkeytoes

I feel so much better than I did that I almost don't care that I'm slow.

I'm thinking of setting some goals. 5k in September? 10k or another 5k in October? I'm not sure what's practical. I've never been in a race before.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:05 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i'm slow too but i haven't stopped yet! actually yesterday i went out to run on the street on a pretty busy running route and was surprised that i was by no means the slowest person out there.

i let my gym membership drop, so i am running outside for the time being- the first few times i hurt pretty bad but now not at all. trying to really focus on my form even though i am pretty sure i look like a meat puppet, or worse. midfoot strike, woot!
i also broke my pedometer so have no idea how far i'm going. running according to what feels good and what time i have on the watch. i am a real control freak so this is different for me. today i will go run in a park that has distances written on the trail, so i can do some nice fartlek there. they also have a track where the short distance team trains when i'm there and i love to watch their workouts.
but, anyway, still running.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:25 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Last weeks two runs was pretty awesome. I must remember how much running helps after a shitty week, 45 minutes outside running makes most things go away, really. On Saturday I was out in my mother in laws cottage, and do I even have to say how awesome it was to jump into their small SWIMMING POOL after running? It was awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:13 am 
WELFARIST!

I'm super slow, too, but I'm out there and going quicker than a walk, so to me that's running. I haven't run since early June due to my vacation and then sickness. It feels great to be back out there (ran 5K today) but man, am I exhausted. Just a couple more weeks of regular running and I should be back where I was before I left for my trip.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3408 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73 ... 137  Next