| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Neighbors from Hell!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:21 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

So last night all was quiet until 9pm when they decided it was time to start playing. And it was beautiful out so we had the house opened up and the air off. Luckily they stopped at 10. But who decides to start throwing horseshoes at 9pm! They have a desk lamp clamped to a lawn chair for light! Im serious.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:23 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I believe that's called "ambiance".

Ugh I saw all these cave paintings complaining about vegan cheese options. I don't miss those days. -Isa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:54 am 
used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16

I am a fan of playing horseshoes occasionally, but not daily, or regularly. I probably play once or twice a summer at cookouts but I can definitely sympathize with you

For me it wasn't neighbors, it was someone in my own home... When I was in my early 20s I was dating this older guy who loves horseshoes more than anything. So much so that he was in a league and had 1 set of pits in his yard. When I moved in with him, I didn't mind so much at first because I was young and wanted to party all the time with him and the guys. When we moved out of that apartment and into a house he installed 2 sets of pits so he could host his league night and just play all day every day when he wasn't working.

None of the neighbors ever complained because most nights they were out there with him and his buddies. Not only did he have 2 sets of pits installed, eventually a HUGE scoreboard was made as well as lights as huge as street lights but WAY brighter were put in. Anytime the weather was basically above 45, they would all be out there hollering, blaring music and making a huge mess. All. Night. Long. I could never sleep, it was awful. I would discuss, plead and fight with him over it but nothing ever changed. What made the situation even more unbearable was that all of his buddies drove super loud pickups or motorcycles so when they would be blasting in and out of my driveway at all hours of the night, not only could I hear them tearing up my gravel but their headlights would shine directly into our bedroom.

Needless to say, we aren't together anymore though it wasn't really because of horseshoes. I definitely know how frustrating it can be though!

The day Joy stops coming out of my anus is the day that something else awesome stops doing whatever it is also doing. - Mars

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:08 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Whoa! That is extreme horseshoeing!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:35 pm 
used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16

It sure was!

The day Joy stops coming out of my anus is the day that something else awesome stops doing whatever it is also doing. - Mars

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:08 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

GK I feel for you. I live in a mostly peaceful park-like neighbourhood and I am grateful because of bad neighbours in various locations in the past.

On the horseshoe theme: when I was a kid we lived next door to a house that for a while was a male rooming house and they played horseshoes a lot in their backyard pit. I don't remember it as being disruptive but I was a little kid and we would play with them sometimes. My mother might have felt differently. They also drank and smoked and went shirtless most of the summer so I now understand why we had such a high hedge. My dad called it the Home for Unwed Fathers.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:38 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

My downstairs neighbor is an opera singer, I think. It's actually kind of cool hearing her sing.

BUT-- my crazy ex-landlord was the worst neighbor ever (not to mention worst landlord ever). I suspect she snooped in my apartment (after finding the door unlocked once and her referencing something that she'd only know if she went inside), she totally creeped and listened at my door for like an hour when my parents were visiting, watched me come and go from her upstairs window, poured acid down her kitchen drain to clear a clog, causing smelly acid to run down my bathroom walls, and told my live-in boyfriend that she thought I was cheating on him. AWESOME!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:11 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

GraciaKai wrote:
So last night all was quiet until 9pm when they decided it was time to start playing. And it was beautiful out so we had the house opened up and the air off. Luckily they stopped at 10. But who decides to start throwing horseshoes at 9pm! They have a desk lamp clamped to a lawn chair for light! Im serious.

This just sounds like you're looking for stuff to get mad about. People playing horseshoes in their own back yard between 9 and 10 seems perfectly reasonable to me.

The slapping and other stuff is terrible, and you should do something about that, whatever it is you choose to do. However, getting mad about stuff that is totally reasonable won't help your case if you end up reporting the other incident(s) and will only raise your blood pressure and make you feel angry all the time. It's not worth it. Choose your battles, and forget the rest. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:28 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I wasnt mad. I just think it is bizarre and annoying. We havent reported them at all, not even on the nights when its gone past midnight. To me thats the worst part. We could be really be mean if wanted to be but we arent, and we still get lashed out on.

But I agree with you, they arent worth our time and effort!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:44 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Can I add my neighbour problems here, or should I start my own thread?

There's a woman who I am assuming lives about 6 doors down from me (I've never knocked on the door, but I've seen her outside that house and sitting on the doorstep). Last spring she stopped walking past as my friend was parking and started quizzing us about where we lived, as she had never seen us before, has lived here over 20 years, believes lots of non-residents are parking on the street, what number did I live at...? I told her I did live on the street but didn't want to tell her what number and asked her why she wanted to know.

After that I kept seeing her every week or so, and one time she asked me about my limp, but apart from that I've never spoken to her since, until last night around 11.30. I'd met my boyfriend for a drink then he drove me back to my house. Before we'd even pulled up she got up from the doorstep she'd been sitting on and started stomping down the street towards us. Then she started jabbing her finger on my window and saying we couldn't park here, we don't live here, she's going to call the police! My boyfriend asked me what I wanted to do and I knew I didn't want a confrontation so I just told him to drive off, and ended up going back to his house and sleeping there.

I'm totally baffled by this woman, particularly her insistence that I don't live there. Even if I didn't, there's absolutely no reason why we wouldn't be able to park there at that time of night. It's resident's parking only in certain areas between 7am and 6pm. Now I don't know if she's got it in for me, my boyfriend, or just people who park on our street in general! I really hope I don't have to interact with her though, because I've got no idea how to handle her disordered thinking.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:59 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

The neighbors have a flood light that is always on. They recently cut down the tall hedge between our house and now I can see the light through my curtains (which are a heavy canvas). Our houses are less than 10 feet apart :/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:40 am 
Chard Martyr

This isn't a neighbours from hell story, but I am so sick of our neighbours (we rent a condo--everyone else in the building owns theirs so naturally we are suspicious since we're younger and not wealthy). They'll sneak out and check what we put in the recycling and garbage every time we take it out. If I bring home a bottle of cider or a case of beer, I feel a million eyes on me. It's ridiculous because we are SO quiet (the only reason we moved into a geriatric building complex is because we so badly needed the quietude), and so friendly/respectful, but everyone seems to hate us. We just recently swapped in a car for one better on gas/smaller, and three sets of neighbours contacted my landlord, even though I submitted the new plates and pertinent information to strata myself. One neighbour emailed my landlord and told her sternly that we have an (indoor) cat, which my landlord knew about because she approved it when we adopted her, and it's ALLOWED. Luckily our landlord is on our side, but the neighbours are nuts. Oh! And we get a weekly CSA box delivery. Last week a neighbour actually accosted the sweet farm delivery person and asked what she was putting in our box. Because obviously it must have been something shady and not organic kale. Oh! And the other night we had ONE guest over, and our immediate next door neighbour came by our back door with a flashlight. I was just talking to him (a coworker), but I feel like they think we have squatters since (gasp!) he drives a car and it was parked in the visitor's parking.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:04 am 
Ninja Master

Can I ask... what the hell is horseshoes??

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:29 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I'm starting to think that neighbor issues are problematic everywhere! I just watched a 20/20 episode all about it. There are people being killed and going to prison over stupid neighbor disputes all over the place. So scary and petty.

Horseshoes...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horseshoes

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:25 am 
Ninja Master

oh it's a ring toss like at the fair ground! I can't believe that can keep them entertained for long periods of time!!

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:29 am 
Level 7 Vegan

GraciaKai, I also had a bad neighbor situation where I would sometimes wonder if my tires were going to be slashed or if a nasty note would be left and I would mentally prepare for retaliation a lot. It's a terrible situation to be in, and I'm really sorry you are going through it. Fortunately, I was renting, which gives you a lot more opportunity to deal with things like this. In your case, it takes a lot more energy and stress to navigate through.

There seem to be two avenues you could take. One is to be just as aggressive as they are by filing reports, calling police, ect. I think the idea behind it is to show them you won't be taken advantage of, or to give them consequences. The other choice is to try to do things in person, asking them politely to change the way they play their games, even if it takes many times to get action. Kinda get them to be friends with you more than enemies. Hitting your husband is perfectly unacceptable, and makes them seem violent and aggressive. I definitely think you she pay attention to that if you decide to try to go the "nice" approach. Keep in mind that some people grow up with different ideas of what it means when a woman hits a man vs the other way around. Again, it's not okay, but she may be viewing what she did as FAR less worse than how most people would see it. If you every have a civil conversation with them, bring that up.

Also, I wouldn't trust the neighborhood gossip that they have priors. Can you look into this yourself? Wouldn't the police have said something when they got called to the slap incident?

I hope it doesn't sound like I'm defending them. They sound miserable. Just trying to put out all sorts of different ideas and options.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:41 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

dropscone wrote:
Can I add my neighbour problems here, or should I start my own thread?

There's a woman who I am assuming lives about 6 doors down from me (I've never knocked on the door, but I've seen her outside that house and sitting on the doorstep). Last spring she stopped walking past as my friend was parking and started quizzing us about where we lived, as she had never seen us before, has lived here over 20 years, believes lots of non-residents are parking on the street, what number did I live at...? I told her I did live on the street but didn't want to tell her what number and asked her why she wanted to know.

After that I kept seeing her every week or so, and one time she asked me about my limp, but apart from that I've never spoken to her since, until last night around 11.30. I'd met my boyfriend for a drink then he drove me back to my house. Before we'd even pulled up she got up from the doorstep she'd been sitting on and started stomping down the street towards us. Then she started jabbing her finger on my window and saying we couldn't park here, we don't live here, she's going to call the police! My boyfriend asked me what I wanted to do and I knew I didn't want a confrontation so I just told him to drive off, and ended up going back to his house and sleeping there.

I'm totally baffled by this woman, particularly her insistence that I don't live there. Even if I didn't, there's absolutely no reason why we wouldn't be able to park there at that time of night. It's resident's parking only in certain areas between 7am and 6pm. Now I don't know if she's got it in for me, my boyfriend, or just people who park on our street in general! I really hope I don't have to interact with her though, because I've got no idea how to handle her disordered thinking.

She sounds like someone who's got too much time on her hands and not enough else to occupy her mind, so that things like who parks where have become waaaaaaaaaaay too important to her. I had a neighbor like that (he's gotten a lot better lately). He lives in the ground floor apartment and was home for a long time on disability and really unhappy so he spent the day looking out of his window and monitoring who was doing what with the bikes parked out front. He made my upstairs neighbor cry once by coming out and screaming at her because she had an old wrecked bike parked there that she was using to cannibalize parts for a bike she was repairing, and he didn't want to have to look at it.

Anyway, I know you don't want to have to interact with her or deal with the confrontation, but it sucks that you're essentially being bullied in your own neighborhood while not doing anything wrong. Maybe if you stand up to her - not by confronting her but by refusing to be cowed when she comes at you like that (easier said than done, I know) - she'll start to leave you alone. Like if she threatens to call the police when you're doing something perfectly legal, let her call the police. She'll find out pretty quickly that she's in the wrong.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:52 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Things seemed to quiet down a bit over the rest of the summer. So we never took any action against them. We are pretty much ignoring each other, which is fine by me. Hopefully it will stay this way until we move.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:55 am 
Level 7 Vegan

GraciaKai wrote:
Things seemed to quiet down a bit over the rest of the summer. So we never took any action against them. We are pretty much ignoring each other, which is fine by me. Hopefully it will stay this way until we move.

Good to hear. That's how things ended with my nightmare neighbor. Just ignoring each other for the rest of the time.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:22 am 
So Totally Yiffy

Hopefully you move before the 1 year to file charges is up, GraciaKai. If the woman does have a record like your neighbors have claimed, she probably knows about the statute of limitations on her physical assault of your husband and knows they had better keep a low(er) profile until that statute runs out. I'm sorry you have to deal with such shiitake heads, because there really isn't a good way to do it - especially if violence is an acceptable answer for them. It's also unfortunate that your city's ordinances don't sound terribly helpful for noise control.

I have a two horrible neighbors, but that's only a been a problem in the last 3 years. Before that the neighborhood was incredibly quiet. Now we're treated to loud music, barking beagles, noisy vehicles that never get fixed, and swearing from one house and huge fireworks at 2 AM on a Thursday, ATV riding (this is a small town, but we're still in city limits and they really don't have a large lot. This one is baffling to me, as baffling as is it incredibly loud), and their lovely children digging up other people's lawns and tossing in dirt and gravel into other people's driveways to make bike ramps and skid... pads? I think part of the problem is that both families are originally from the country. Because if you do that junk on 5 acres of land it's not a huge deal at all.

My concern with dealing with both sets of neighbors is safety for one of my cats. I've heard about horrible retaliations taken out on pets, it's part of the reason I hate allowing the particular cat to go outside (he's only allowed out because otherwise he tends to pee on the floor or me). Even without provocation one of the neighbors seems volatile enough to do something cruel. Happily the neighbors who seem the most likely to retaliate that way have toned it down recently. I wish there was a better way to deal with these situations. People default from civility to all is fair in love and war so quickly.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:47 pm 

Thanks lepelaar. I had had a long shift at work followed by some quite strong cider so I just knew I wasn't up to handling her, especially as I'm physically limited - it takes me at least 40 seconds to get out of a car once I've opened the door. Hopefully I will be able to speak to her calmly next time and try to reason with her, and yeah, if she calls the police so much the better.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:50 pm 

catintheattic wrote:

My concern with dealing with both sets of neighbors is safety for one of my cats. I've heard about horrible retaliations taken out on pets, it's part of the reason I hate allowing the particular cat to go outside (he's only allowed out because otherwise he tends to pee on the floor or me). ...

Eek! Can you step up the training to stop him doing it? Or are you able to fix some kind of tether on him and keep an eye on him while he's outside? That doesn't sound like a safe situation for him at the moment.

Sorry for your troubles.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:52 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Our neighbors' kids (I hope it's the kids, anyway) are always throwing trash into our yard... like a soda bottle or Little Debbie package here or there, not full trash bags or anything. It's kind of weird and annoying, but I'd rather just roll my eyes than go confront them. I guess recently they accidentally tossed a football over. I don't know how long it was out there before we saw it, but our dog Toby pretty much destroyed it and loves running in circles with it, so I guess that's karma for their jerk asparagus kids... and Toby has a new toy. They're also kind of loud, but we can really only hear them outside.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:35 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

one of the things that terrifies me about buying a house is ending up with annoying but not illegally annoying neighbours.

somehow, i magically have no truly horrible neighbours right now, despite living in a very urban area with lots of candidates! i have 5 separate neighbours in my building (6-plex) and a duplex up against my wall on the other side, and a triplex directly behind me across a narrow alley, and the rest of the street is all duplexes and triplexes that all butt up against each other. my area's got a bit of a shady reputation too. the place two doors down was on the news recently as being run by a notorious slum landlord with mafia connections, the house at the end of the street has been evicted for pest infestation, and in general the area is all renters. there are some VERY interesting characters on our street.

it's weird though... i think maybe all the combined crazies cancel each other out? and because we all live so close together, you are used to having no privacy/lots of noise and just deal with it? i made an extra special effort when i moved in to get to know everyone who lives around me and so instead of finding some of them obnoxious and loud and messed up, i see them as being somewhat endearing. even crazy pigeon lady, who really needs to get investigated by the city for hoarding. and to stop feeding the pigeons. oh, and to stop screaming at city workers. and jim next door, who frequently gets drunk and yells at passersby, but gives me veggies from his garden and remembers the names of my cats, and the lady with a billion children with suspect hygienic practices who has persisted in scowling at me despite a year's worth of smiles, but who finally (kind of? a little?) smiled back this summer. and then there's some nice normal people who chat about the weather and don't play loud music and keep their garbage tidy.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:52 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

dropscone wrote:
catintheattic wrote:

My concern with dealing with both sets of neighbors is safety for one of my cats. I've heard about horrible retaliations taken out on pets, it's part of the reason I hate allowing the particular cat to go outside (he's only allowed out because otherwise he tends to pee on the floor or me). ...

Eek! Can you step up the training to stop him doing it? Or are you able to fix some kind of tether on him and keep an eye on him while he's outside? That doesn't sound like a safe situation for him at the moment.

Sorry for your troubles.

Unfortunately his problem has been an issue for years, and I've yet to find a training method or change in his surroundings that will resolve it. Cats like him do not do well in shelters - even the so-called "no kill" shelters - so re-homing does not seem like a workable solution. Also, I love him.

Lately I've been going outside with him. He tends to stick around the front yard anyway, which has been nice. If I'm not out with him, I check up on him about every fifteen to twenty minutes when he's out of sight or I haven't heard him chirping (he's a talker). He's only allowed out during daylight hours and when somebody is home, but that's always been one of his outside rules. He is an incredibly nice cat; so, he also has other human friends in the neighborhood.

I hope most my anxiety for him is just me not being used to having a cat allowed outside. He's been going out for well over a year now and I still check on him whenever I hear a car go down the street.