| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: sunscreen!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:29 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I'm looking for suggestions for an effective vegan sunscreen! This is my first vegan summer. :) I'm extremely fair skinned and I like to keep it that way. So far I've tried alba's spf 30 aloe vanilla, but I find that it's really thick to spread, and I use sunscreen every day so I feel like this little tube won't last long...

For face I got Clinique's Cityblock SPF 45, which seems to be working so far so good. (PETA told me Clinique's suncare was vegan, they better be right!)

I'm really just trying to find something with a higher spf for body. Anyone got some tips?

(Didn't see a current thread on this so I apologize if I didn't look back far enough...)

Post subject: Re: sunscreen!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:31 pm 
Saggy Butt

I got this spray stuff by Kiss My Face recently and I am happy with it so far: http://kissmyface.com/product/item/117 (SPF 50 and it smells like coconut)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:10 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

here's a post i wrote about my favorite sunscreens and the environmental working group's database.
http://kitteekake.blogspot.com/2009/03/ ... group.html

xo
kittee

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:15 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Thanks guys! That Kiss My Face stuff looks swell, I'm gonna check to see if Whole Foods has it. *fingers crossed*

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:14 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

My current favorite is Burn Out's Ocean Tested or Eco Sensitive. Ocean Tested is more emollient (good for drier skin) and the Eco Sensitive is less creamy (good for oilier skin). They both go on well, and I can attest to how well they work. They are all-mineral (no chemical sunscreen agents which can be unstable).

I get mine from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Burnout-Ocean-Tes ... 000851N9E/
http://www.amazon.com/BurnOut-Eco-Sensi ... 001B9RGVU/

I have also used and liked Paula's Choice mineral sunscreen and MyChelle's.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:23 pm 
Tofu Pup

I use the tinted Greenscreen spf 22. I used to be like you, want a 60 spf or why not 100 spf for my fair skin.
Then heard a teleconference by Dr Fuhrman, he said to avoid nano particles because they enter the bloodstream and that sunscreens with spf above 20 or 30 all contain dangerous or potentially dangerous chemicals. And he recommended this sunscreen. I see that it is #2 on the EWG list. This is vegan,and it is good old zinc, so it doesn't need to be tested on animals. It doesn't melt in the eyes.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:16 am 
Tofu Pup

I have been using the Alba spray on sport sunscreen and I like it-still kind of thick but not as much as their stuff in the tube.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:55 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

my husband is a runner (he is basically always training for his next marathon) and he's been struggling with sunscreen -- any suggestions? his main problem is that once he starts running, he starts sweating, and then it melts/runs into his eyes and it totally sucks. but he definitely wants to be wearing some because he is fair and prone to freckling/burning... are there any "sport" sunscreens that you guys would particularly recommend that hold up better to sweat?

(small pancake, is that what you were referring to with your comment, the one you use doesn't run when you sweat?)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:21 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I use Scape, which is sold in my local running store. I emailed them and asked them if the product was vegan and whether they tested on animals or contracted for testing. After a long time, they emailed back that they did not and that their product had no animal ingredients. I feel okay about it, but not 100%, because I really only trust the bunny logo for veganitude on these things. The stuff works well and does not run into my eyes when I sweat.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:30 pm 
Tofu Pup

bluedawg wrote:
(small pancake, is that what you were referring to with your comment, the one you use doesn't run when you sweat?)

Yes that is what I mean, I am sure this product does'nt run into my eyes, because my previous one did. I wear it everyday because I work outdoor and I also run, but I don't think I sweat a lot. But I cry often because the place is very windy. The thing is, though, that the zinc is this ingredient that makes you look white. So if you try Greenscreen take the tinted one, I think looks good on my skin because it is fair but it looks like make up, so I am not sure your husband will accept it. I would if I were him, it is a great product, worth trying, not very expensive. The texture is good too.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:43 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

i use peter thomas roth uber-dry spf 30 on my face(i'm oily/acne prone) & sun bum spf 50 on my body.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:32 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I recently bought the Kiss My Face spray sunscreen referenced above, as I've heard good things about it for years. Right now, Whole Foods has a $2.50 off coupon for this, and there was a KMF manufacturers coupon, which I cannot locate right now.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:06 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Location: In some dumb hotel in an equally dumb town...or in San Diego
I like and use badger balm. Its olive oil based so it feels like your rubbing cookie dough on yourself. Organic and I dont rub it in to reduce the whitening effect because I prefer the ghost look

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:19 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

my whole foods doesn't have the kiss my face spray! I've been continuing my use of the Alba SPF 30 for everyday use (around town, in the car) and I'm still my pale self, so it's working for now.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:40 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

bluedawg wrote:
my husband is a runner (he is basically always training for his next marathon) and he's been struggling with sunscreen -- any suggestions? his main problem is that once he starts running, he starts sweating, and then it melts/runs into his eyes and it totally sucks. but he definitely wants to be wearing some because he is fair and prone to freckling/burning... are there any "sport" sunscreens that you guys would particularly recommend that hold up better to sweat?

the sport sunscreen i recommended above is oil based, not water based, so it doesn't get drippy with sweat.
xo
kittee

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:01 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

i use peter thomas roth uber dry spf 30 for face, and sun bum spf 50 for body:)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:27 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Market Basket (for any Massachusetts folk here) had this sunscreen (for $4.99!) called Block Up by Fruit of the Earth that is vegan and not tested on animals and it works really well!