| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How do you clean your toilet?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:33 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Since moving I've been using baking soda since that's what my roommate uses. I like that it's safe for the environment and cheap, but I find the combination of it and "letting it mellow" means the toilet is dirty after two days. It's driving me nuts!

I used to use 7th Generation spray, I think, and I could go about a week. Anyone got any toilet miracle workers?

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

Post subject: Re: How do you clean your toilet?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:10 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I use the Method stuff. It works really well.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:48 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

Letting it mellow erodes the enamel on toilet bowls, they just get harder to clean and end up with permanent black marks.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:15 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I usually use just a spritz of Sun & Earth all purpose spray and some baking soda and vinegar and it stays clean for a week or so. but I never let it mellow, so yeah that could be the problem.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:28 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

fezza wrote:
Letting it mellow erodes the enamel on toilet bowls, they just get harder to clean and end up with permanent black marks.

Really? The plumber was out here a few weeks ago and he was in full support of letting it mellow.

Hm...environment vs gross black marks?

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:37 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I dump in hydrogen peroxide before work in the morning, scrub at night. Then, scrub the rest with baking soda. We mellow, and the bowl has a very, very slight ring that never seems to come off, but the rest is sparkling clean.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:14 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I use the bleachiest bleachy stuff I can find, hose it down with bleachy gel and let it sit for a little while, and then scrub it with a brush.

We do not let it mellow (much-- unless it would wake up a sleeping child) because it smells bad very quickly.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:08 pm 
Thinks chickens are assholes

j-dub wrote:
fezza wrote:

Really? The plumber was out here a few weeks ago and he was in full support of letting it mellow.

Hm...environment vs gross black marks?

Yep. Not flushing vs eventual premature toilet bowl replacement.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:01 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

So, uh, those gross black marks? Hard to explain if you're renting.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:12 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Pinko wrote:
I use the Method stuff. It works really well.

Agreed.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:44 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Eh, we let it mellow in general, but make sure to not leave pee sitting in the toilet for more than a couple hours, and ALWAYS flush at night before bed. Never had a problem with smell as long as we clean the toilet frequently. I'm sure that it's not great for the enamel, but a few hours of pee that is flushed before it starts to chemically decompose (which you can smell) probably isn't going to do much damage.

As for cleaning products, I use hydrogen peroxide. I figure it's probably the most eco-friendly cleaner since it decomposes into plain water.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:56 am 
Saggy Butt

helbury wrote:
Eh, we let it mellow in general, but make sure to not leave pee sitting in the toilet for more than a couple hours, and ALWAYS flush at night before bed. Never had a problem with smell as long as we clean the toilet frequently. I'm sure that it's not great for the enamel, but a few hours of pee that is flushed before it starts to chemically decompose (which you can smell) probably isn't going to do much damage.

Same here. I usually flush every few hours because I pee a lot and don't want the toilet to clog from all the toilet paper. I always flush it before bed too. We never smell anything, but I clean the toilet on Wednesdays and Sundays. I like the Better Life toilet bowl cleaner. I never considered using hydrogen peroxide! I'll try that.

However, I think the toilet might make a difference, too, as far as how long you can let it mellow. We installed Totos with the sanigloss coating on the bowl when we remodeled and they are amazing. You can take the biggest dump ever and the bowl will still be shiny white. :) The toilets we replaced? Not such a great track record.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:02 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I use whatever eco cleaner is on sale and clean my toilets once or twice a week. We mellow because we all pee so much and I am a stickler for being cheap and conserving water as much as we can. I hope my toilets don't start looking nasty since they are brand new. I should really flush before bedtime and when we leave for work.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:34 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

So what is toilet grossesness really determined by? I'm pretty upset by having to clean my toilet every week because in my last house I think I cleaned it once? in the whole year I lived there. And both places I was the only one using it so I'm having trouble blaming anyone else for how gross it looks.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:10 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I use Mrs. Meyers for my toilet and pretty much everything else. I get the big bottle and dilute it into a spray bottle.

My definition of toilet grossness is mostly visual. Some people worry about the germs, but I worry about stuff like toilet bowl rings, hair, and pee-splash.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:46 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

i use the ecover stuff. i like it.

is there anything we can put in while we're mellowing to reduce it's erosive qualities? like maybe a pinch of baking soda or something? (i guess it depends on whether your pee is acidic or alkaline.) and FYI, if you have diabetes, letting it mellow will make the bowl stain faster.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:42 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Location: In some dumb hotel in an equally dumb town...or in San Diego
toilet brush for the gross insides with a bit of baking soda sprinkled in the water, sponge with some baking soda on it for the gross outsides

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:43 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

Wait. You're supposed to clean toilets?