| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 380 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Slings/carriers/papooses..what do you recommend?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:24 am 
Married to the wolfman

There are some woven wraps that are meant for hot weather-- they're usually labelled "gauze" or "gauze weight" I think. Want to say a particular brand might be Bali Breeze but I'm not sure.

ETA: yeah! Bali Breeze: http://www.wrapsodybaby.com/shop/breeze.htm

It's kind of crazy but I'm thinking about knitting a wrap out of cotton or hemp yarn with big open lacework (for air flow) this summer. Because yeah, I haven't found a carrier I love for hot weather yet.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:20 pm 
Semen Strong

mooo wrote:
Are there any carriers out there that are made for hot weather? I feel like Scarlett is so hot and sweaty when I take her out in my moby, even though it has UV protection, so I figured it must be meant for using in the sun! After a little while she starts making little moaning sounds and I don't know if it's because she's hot or what.

We have a local babywearers group (and perhaps your area does too?), and I can ask for recommendations. Also, there is this Baby Wearing Swap Group on FB: http://www.facebook.com/groups/196221090408274/ . The first post has a few light summer wraps that might work for you. It looks like they make the moby in different fabrics....

ETA: oooh! I love the Bali Breeze! And so cool they have make your own instructions! http://www.wrapsodybaby.com/frugal.htm

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:12 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Here in Austin, the babywearing group seems to recommend the Bali Breeze or lighter-weight mei tais. There's a gauzy one from Obimama (I think) that some people have. I have a UV-protectant ring sling from Wallababy that is lightweight and pretty nice, but Sven is too heavy for that to be comfortable for long. I use a Beco Butterfly and do a back carry and that isn't *so* horrible. There's fabric between you and the baby which actually kind of makes it a little cooler.

Most of the mamas I know give up and use strollers when it's over 100-105, however. :( I finally started using ours. It's super annoying and also kind of makes me sad, but Sven and I are both sooo much happier when we aren't stuck together with sweat.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:59 am 
Married to the wolfman

^^ if I lived somewhere where it got over 100 even semi regularly, I would for sure have some carrying option that wasn't on my body! The only time I can remember it ever being that hot here was on the Emperor's first birthday... I still hauled him in the Ergo but we were both waaaaay too hot.

Most of the time our summer weather tops out at 85-90 or even lower, and I find a back carry in the Ergo tolerable.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:46 pm 
***LIES!!!***

It is 90gabillion degrees here these days and humid. We are all digging the stroller right now and I cannot even fathom wrapping fabric around my body now. Malka has been an overheating sweat machine these days and I don't want to wind up with baby heat stroke. We are praying for cooler weather and some nice breezes for our trip up north (which starts TONIGHT!!!) so we can wear her when we're visiting Toronto and Montreal and don't have to wrangle the stroller.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:00 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Ugh I feel you all on the heat thing - we haven't even put Sierra in the stroller yet because its been too hot to go out and do much, so the only time we take her out is when I'm going to and from work. For this I'm just using a very light fabric sling, and I'm continually grateful for how small Sierra is because there's just no back support or anything. And since we live about 3/4 mile from the subway, on days it isn't too unbearably hot Dahlia and Howard walk with me to the train and then head to a park, but when it's 90+ degrees, Howard drives me to the train and I put her right in the sling and head into the subway. I decided anytime it's hotter than 80 degrees is too hot for the Moby, though I prefer it for support and not feeling lopsided.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:06 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

When we were visiting Arizona, we saw a lady with a mesh sling. One of her other kids said it was a water sling. It looked really comfortable for the heat.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:40 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Ariann wrote:
It is 90gabillion degrees here these days and humid. We are all digging the stroller right now and I cannot even fathom wrapping fabric around my body now. Malka has been an overheating sweat machine these days and I don't want to wind up with baby heat stroke. We are praying for cooler weather and some nice breezes for our trip up north (which starts TONIGHT!!!) so we can wear her when we're visiting Toronto and Montreal and don't have to wrangle the stroller.

hahahahahahNO.

it's gonna be 37 C here on thursday. toronto and montreal are usually pretty stinkin' hot and humid we might have a couple cooler days, but given the run of high temps and super sunny days we've had so far in june, i'd be surprised. i would be prepared to stroller wrangle (omg, especially if you are taking public transit in either city... the heat is unbearable).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:54 pm 
Inflexitarian

Ada did pretty good on the 4th in a Mei Tai (even though North Carolina is hot hot hot)

Oh and it was funny/cute how many people stopped us at the mall today to say how cute she looked on dad! (he was wearing her so I could find shoes; she was loving it)

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/GeekKnowledge

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:52 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Shanti, what a beautiful family you have! That's a great shot.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:42 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

We've been trying to get used to our ring sling. We bought a double-layer linen one after I did bajillion research. We are washing it every time we do laundry and trying to sit on it and practicing with it on to get it softer and ready for when the little one arrives. It just seems so complicated! Books for weight aren't really a baby... I'm planning to bring it to the birthing center for right away. When we go to our midwife appointments we see that all the parents are pushing their babies around in these plastic boxes and I'd much rather wear the baby. We are going to stay for two days because it's really like a hotel and the midwives are there all the time to help with breastfeeding etc. I'm babbling... Just hoping that our ring sling will work with our baby!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:52 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

mapmapmap wrote:
We've been trying to get used to our ring sling. We bought a double-layer linen one after I did bajillion research. We are washing it every time we do laundry and trying to sit on it and practicing with it on to get it softer and ready for when the little one arrives. It just seems so complicated! Books for weight aren't really a baby... I'm planning to bring it to the birthing center for right away. When we go to our midwife appointments we see that all the parents are pushing their babies around in these plastic boxes and I'd much rather wear the baby. We are going to stay for two days because it's really like a hotel and the midwives are there all the time to help with breastfeeding etc. I'm babbling... Just hoping that our ring sling will work with our baby!

I used a ring sling from the very first week. She went to her first doctor's visits in the sling. You'll get used to it and it will be so cozy. I practiced with a 5 lb bag of rice which was better than a stuffed animal because the weight is more accurate. Feeling confident with the sling helps baby feel secure. I'm also still using it at seven months, btw. Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:00 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Thanks for replying Butternut! We buy our rice in these giant plastic containers, not bags, but i could throw several bags of beans in there, that's probably way more "baby-like" than books are. Cool that you are still using yours!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:32 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Anyone else here obsessed with BW & carriers??? I can't stop buying them :/ must wear all the babies!

Seriously though, there must be someone else here as crazy as I am about having beautiful stash, right?!!?
So far I have a stretchy wrap, pocket sling, BB2, Gira FR shorty, Lenny Lamb RS, Dream Carrier WC NL Podagei, Anaira Creations WCMT, Vatani Ningaloo 6, & KoKaDi elephantes 4 on preorder...I'd log to have more wraps, I think I might gets rainbow springs and I wouldn't mind a WCFB. An Obimama would be amazeballs but they are sooo hard to come by. They are usually FTO or at least $300+ which I never have enough in my pp when one comes up on the swaps!

Gumboots & Cats Facebook Page
http://www.gumbootsandcats.tumblr.com/
http://www.gumbootsandcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.gumbootscatsvegansnacks.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:24 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Momo wrote:
Anyone else here obsessed with BW & carriers??? I can't stop buying them :/ must wear all the babies!

Seriously though, there must be someone else here as crazy as I am about having beautiful stash, right?!!?
So far I have a stretchy wrap, pocket sling, BB2, Gira FR shorty, Lenny Lamb RS, Dream Carrier WC NL Podagei, Anaira Creations WCMT, Vatani Ningaloo 6, & KoKaDi elephantes 4 on preorder...I'd log to have more wraps, I think I might gets rainbow springs and I wouldn't mind a WCFB. An Obimama would be amazeballs but they are sooo hard to come by. They are usually FTO or at least $300+ which I never have enough in my pp when one comes up on the swaps!

haha. someone's been bitten by the babywearer bug. are you on TBW?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:57 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

littlebird wrote:
Momo wrote:

haha. someone's been bitten by the babywearer bug. are you on TBW?

Yes, I am! I'm still very new, don't have many posts so I can't BSOT. I'm having a hard time getting back into the forum format, Facebook has ruined it for me! I guess I've gotten lazy :/

Gumboots & Cats Facebook Page
http://www.gumbootsandcats.tumblr.com/
http://www.gumbootsandcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.gumbootscatsvegansnacks.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:01 am 
Married to the wolfman

I'm winding down on using my woven wrap now that the Magician is over 20 lbs and big/sturdy enough to ride on my back comfortably in the ergo. It makes me pretty sad, because the woven wrap is so comfortable and pretty, and I have so much nostalgia about it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:36 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I ordered a ring sling that I'd had my eye on since I found out I was pregnant. I already have a cuddly wrap (like a boba/moby), two of those backpack style carriers (one from the first time we had a baby), and a small woven sling.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:10 pm 
Semen Strong

Oh my goodness, I am IN LOVE with the Kinderpack. Leela is about to outgrow her Ergo, which is amazing, but she gets really close to being able to throw herself out of it, and the toddler Kinderpack is the ish.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:34 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I can't believe she's too big for an ergo. I thought those were good for pretty big kids!

Since I have been back to work (and babynut still won't sleep in the crib) my partner has her napping in the mei tai again. Let's just say he is getting a lot of reading done.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:56 pm 
Semen Strong

The Ergo is great and I thought we'd use it for longer too, but the body is 15" and so it only supports her to just below her shoulders. If she arches, and she does, she can get frighteningly far out. If she wasn't doing that, it'd be fine. The Toddler Kinderpack is 18" by 18" (it supports the kid from knee, through hips, to knee), and the Pre-School Kinderpack (biggest carrier made) is 20" by 20". Leela fits nicely into a KP Toddler, and that thing is so well-made, carrying 21+lbs of her feels like nothing. Its amazing.

The Babywearing group I am in, has me lusting for carriers. I don't look at Porshes or Ferraris but I drool over people's carriers (OMG a Beco 3!). I literally yelled "OMG look a KINDERPACK!" when I saw one.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:56 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Does anyone have suggestions for how to stop my pants from slouching down in the back when back carrying in an Ergo or Beco Butterfly 2 (I have this problem with both)? I can't wear a belt because the carrier makes it dig in uncomfortably, but otherwise my jeans never stay up. Am I just doing it wrong? Do I just resign myself to wearing yoga pants forever?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:58 pm 
Semen Strong

Doesn't the carrier belt go over the top of your pants?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:25 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I have the same problem with carriers, mandycoot. I can't wear the Ergo around my waist where my pants sit (belly's too big), so they sag big time. I really like our Boba, which has a much longer belt, and helps keep the pants up. We also use a Toddler Hawk (bigger version of Baby Hawk). The mei tais are great because you can really cinch them tight along with the jeans underneath.
I wear skirts with elastic waists when I babywear a lot too - that seems to make the issue a bit better. They kind of hug your waist better than jeans, and there isn't as much tugging and pulling up in public. (This is more of a body-baby body issue, but am I the only one with this problem? Pants are tight everywhere else, but they won't stay up over my butt and waist. I seriously can't find anything to wear.)

mandycoot wrote:
Do I just resign myself to wearing yoga pants forever?

But I don't see this as a problem.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:34 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

The belt starts out over my pants and Sven's weight just pushes them down somehow! Maybe the belt isn't tight enough? I swear it shouldn't be this hard. Also my jeans still don't really fit right (gah, hips!) but I'm forcing myself into them, which is most certainly part of the problem.

I love, love yoga pants, but it's a constant battle to keep them free of dog hair! Skirts are a great idea.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 380 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 16  Next