| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: pregnancy & anti-depressants
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:40 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

my husband and i pretty much decided we are going to start a family.
problem is i have been on anti depressants for years.
currently i am taking 60 mg of cymbalta daily.
problem with cymbalta is there is really no research with cymbalta and pregnancy.
i have one piece of paper with the side effects on it that came with my Rx when i get it through the mail that says not to take it when pregnant.

alot of stuff says not to take it in the last 3 months or while breastfeeding.

alot of stuff says the benefits can outweigh the potential risks.

being unmedicated and pregnant sounds like a really bad combo for me.
also i dont handle yoyoing on and off meds well.

i called my psychiatrist today and he's off for the week but he left me a voicemail back saying pretty much what i said above and referred me to a website to look at. part of the message got eaten by my phone but i think he said a lot of people switch to zoloft.

ive been on zoloft before and didnt like it for many different reasons but it seems like wellbutrin is another option.

i see an obgyn at the beginning of august so i can actually discuss this with a doctor then but im wondering what other peoples' experiences have been.

would be great to not have to switch anything because for the most part cymbalta works well for me but obviously i will do whatever is safest.

Post subject: Re: pregnancy & anti-depressants
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:46 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I'm on the same dose of Cymbalta and have wondered the same thing as we are trying to start a family. I asked my psychiatrist about it before we started trying and his opinion was that since it was an SSRI that you could compare research that has been done with other SSRI's - the problem is that so little research has been done. But I'm the same way - I'm just not sure what to do - I'm afraid of harming my (hypothetical) baby but I'm also very very scared of what might happen if I go off it (Cymbalta has been the only thing that has worked for me). I've also seen read that if you go off it or taper to the lowest possible dose that you are likely to not get all the positive effects if you try to back on it again at a later date. I'm really interested in what others have to say and/or their experiences. I only trust my psychiatrist so far, if you know what I mean, but I also don't want to do something that might really harm my mental state (post partum depression is also a huge fear of mine). Anyway...I'm right there with you LisaPunk...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:02 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

it's so hard!
obviously no one would want to purposely do harm to their baby but there's no research.
the only thing my husband has found is that paxil is definitely not recommended but again he found people who took paxil through the whole thing and their babies were fine.

from the little research ive managed tonight (ie my husband researching while i freak out) is that Cymbalta is slightly different from an SSRI and its a SSNRI. i have no idea what that means.

seems like its a personal decision between the person and their doctor.
like i said im going to see an obgyn at the beginning of august so it will probably be #1 on my list of things i need info on.

heres a couple websites i found.

my husband found this thread on this forum where people talk about cymbalta and pregancy
http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1265174/cymbalta-and-pregnancy
here is the website my psychiatrist recommended. its done my Mass General whcih is a big huge hospital here in Boston.
http://www.womensmentalhealth.org/
good luck!!!

also, i too, am PETRIFIED of post partum depression. already suffering from depression i wonder if we have a higher likelihood of it??? i dunno but it sounds terrifying.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:33 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Post partum depression risk factors: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/postpa ... sk-factors

LisaPunk wrote:
being unmedicated and pregnant sounds like a really bad combo for me.
also i dont handle yoyoing on and off meds well.

Sounds like you hit the nail on the head. Everything has risks and benefits, and while it would be nice if there were more research on medications in pregnancy, your physical and mental health are vitally important to your future offspring. Depression during pregnancy and in the post-partum period has risks to you and a potential baby as well. Wait and see what your OB/GYN says, but don't beat yourself up over things we just don't know.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:35 pm 
Semen Strong

I thought there was a lot of very thought-provoking stuff in this thread (viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12254&hilit=depress%2A)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:44 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Everyone is so different that it might be worth it to get a specialized opinion from someone with psychiatric AND pregnancy expertise. In the hospital where I used to work, there was a perinatal team of mental health professionals who could work with women to decide what was best for them in their own specific case. It looks like there is a similar group at Mass General http://www.womensmentalhealth.org/ (I see you are near Boston) and there may be others in your area that are similarly specialized. I don't know if seeking another psychiatrist is a possibility for you, but someone who is specialized might be able to give you a lot more specific information and advice.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:56 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

thanks for the info and links.

luckily the only "risk factor" i have from the links for ppd is a history of depression and potential financial difficulties (if i do get pregnant i will be getting my evil job to be a sahm at least for awhile)

a lot of interesting and scary stuff.

im very eager to go see the obgyn for so many reasons but this issue just sky rocketed to the top of my list.

i dont think i am a candidate for coming off meds completely but maybe i can switch to something deemed a bit safer

:-/

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:10 pm 
Semen Strong

I was very worried about PPD, because I've had crazy anxiety my whole life. I don't know if eating my placenta helped with that, but it might be worth keeping in mind.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:25 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I had a number of risk factors for PPD with both my pregnancies. In many ways, I was more at risk after the second one. But, interestingly, while I did get PPD with my first, I haven't with my second.

It's really hard to make the decision about whether or not to take medications you function better on during pregnancy. I don't often talk about it on the intarwubs (or anywhere really) but I have adult ADHD and my quality of life is SO much better on meds-- but there's no ADD medication that's been well studied in pregnancy and ultimately I decided to stop taking it (but not til after I'd conceived). It was a really hard decision to make at the time.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:45 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Thanks guys for all your input...even if we all have different struggles it's helpful to know that this is an issue (med's and being pregnant) that many have struggled with. Gah...I think the worst thing is that there is no clear cut right/wrong....it's such a case by case situation :(