| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2055 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63 ... 83  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bicycling Badazzes
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:52 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Woo, finally getting back into biking! I had a roughly 3-year hiatus, which is really sad. But after I moved from LA to NYC, the quest for reliable public transportation seemed to be over. I didn't have a car in LA so biking was pretty much what I had if I wanted to get somewhere without having to depend on the shitty bus system. I biked a ton.

Fast forward to today... it took me a while to embrace the idea of biking in Manhattan, but now that I've done it, I'm feeling pretty good about it. One of these days maybe I'll hop on the greenway and put in some decent mileage beyond my regular commute. I've got a Cannondale Caad 8 (2008 I think? can't remember) named Charlie.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:19 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

broseph wrote:
j-dub wrote:
Guys, I want to join a cycling group, but I'm scared! My bike ain't that fancy, I don't wear colourful spandex, and I have no idea how to ride with a group.

Check out some rides at Velopalooza! There will be a ton of people in the same boat as you. Also, I'll come on any of the 50+ rides available if you want company.

Whoa. This is awesome! And there's a vegan picnic one day! Thanks!

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:23 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

My team is demoing Marin bikes on Thursday! I'm really hoping their new cross bike works for me, because I'm going to buy it if it does. I'm also excited to try out a 29er and a dual-suspension mtb. I won't be in the market for anything like that in a while, but I imagine it will be fun to try that stuff out having only ridden a hardtail 26er.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:05 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the 29er.

I've been a hiking badazz lately. I miss the bikes but have decided to train for a Mt. Whitney hike. Hiking has also been useful for scouting MTB trails, so, YAY bikes! (It's been great cross-training, too. Legs are lots stronger from using different muscles.)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:48 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

Durbridge takes the prologue, Evans takes stage one! Australia is looking good at Dauphine.. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:30 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

trying out new bikes is a dangerous proposal :)

hope the marin fits well for you.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:19 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Thanks! I hope it works out too, because it will mean me getting a nice-ass bike for cheap!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:40 am 

always the best way to go, unless you can get them for free ;)

plan to try and ride for the first time in a while. cant wait to take the niner out!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:24 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

You guys, I just bought a pair of SPD-compatible Northwaves for around $30, took a complete stab in the dark at the size and hoped it was right (due to the amazing price). They arrived last night, and they fit PERFECTLY. I've decided that I am the best at the Internet.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:33 am 

did a local training mtb race last night. realized i have no mtb skill and i have no legs after a month of sitting around doing nothing. did have a blast hoping logs and trying not to die though.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:39 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I missed both the demo last night and the ride I was supposed to do this morning, and now I am in a foul mood. I can go demo bikes later, but I was looking forward to getting to try out a bunch of different things with a minimum of hassle (and in real dirt). Bah.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:37 am 

lame! go for a ride later, itll cheer you up.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:02 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Made up for not getting to ride Thursday and Friday by riding 90 miles this weekend! I've still got some congestion in my lungs from being sick, so I didn't do anything super strenuous, but it was gorgeous out, and it felt great to be out. Bonus points for yesterday's ride, since I got to meet up with friends for beers and pretzels, and then for guacamole and margaritas with littlebear!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:49 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

If anyone is looking for some snazzy new spandex, I just came across these: http://www.animalliberationracing.com/howtojoin.php

Looks like last day to order is June 21.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:59 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

ooo, that's awesome

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:49 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Bumping this thread to obsess a bit. Mom has this part of her salary that she's not allowed to have unless she spends it on nice things for herself/her family or something (some BS about the tax code) and she couldn't think of anything to spend it on. So we went bike shopping this weekend to replace my 11 year old clunker of a mountain bike (yes, I've had it for 11 years and I'm 21 now).

First we went to our local bike shop that we've been going to since I was about 6. The people there are always great and knowledgable. Then dad wanted more options so we went to another bike shop which I guess is local to someone who isn't me and oh god the difference. I should not know more about a bicycle than the person selling it to me. And "I didn't see the one in your size so I brought the next size up, but I didn't look too hard" is not okay along with "here, try a size 56 you'll grow into it" (I'm 5'5" with shoes on). So we ran, didn't walk back to our bike shop and I came home with this (apologies for the lighting. I'm in the office) which is the most sexy and easily weighs 10 pounds less than my mountain bike:

Best. Ride. Ever. And clipless pedals, where have you been all my life? Anyone want to name it other than "super sexy new bike"?

Sorry about the novel. This is just really exciting.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:52 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

That is super duper exciting! It's lovely and I'm thoroughly envious. I can't make out what kind it is though.

I've had a lot of bike lust lately, Nick got his Troll but used all our spare parts on it so if I wanted one I'd have to buy the complete and I don't have a grand buried in the backyard.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:54 am 

Nice! New bike day is the best kind of day. Clipless is also a big change. Also looks like youll be ready for cyclocross season coming up!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:08 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

So, I did that insane mountain bike race last weekend. It was the hardest ride I've ever done - SO painful! It was 50 miles and between 6000 and 6500 feet of climbing. There were a few spots where I had to fight not to get off my bike and cry. The photos from the event just got posted, and I look hilariously terrible! (cross posted pic from the "you shouldn't be in pictures" thread)

What kind of bike is that, zwingtip? Clipless is the way to go - I hope you love it!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:06 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

It's a Specialized Tricross Comp, so basically a commuter pretending to be a cross bike, but it's definitely love because it's a) a great fit, b) perfect for in-Boston ~3-20 mile purposes, and c) a lot of fun on hills.

Jordan, that mountain bike race sounds intense. Very impressed.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:38 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

This weekend we went camping in a great state park and took our bikes. There was a trail from our campground to the beach and we're all 'hey it's a campground in Iowa I'm sure it's flat because otherwise no one would bike on it'. When in reality it was hilly, steep, choked with rocks/roots/sand, and crazy hard especially in 90+ temperatures. But damn I feel accomplished. I had my Cross Check with commuter tires on it and while I walked a lot I was still able to keep it together enough to not fall too far behind (Nick had the Karate Monkey all set up for mountain biking). I'm not going to be a mountain biker anytime in the future but it was really fun and hard.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:25 am 

nice jordan! you dont look too far in the cave at that point. good thing is once you do a wild race like that everything else is easy :)

everyone keeping up on the tour?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:19 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

Eric. wrote:

everyone keeping up on the tour?

So far!

(I love this time of year!)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:35 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I've been watching some, though missing some mornings because I'm out doing my workouts. I loved the finish at Stage 2!

Anyone have any favorites? Riders you hate?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:50 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2055 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63 ... 83  Next