| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 690 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: Toronto
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:45 pm 
Inflexitarian

I buy most of my bulk at various places in Kensington market, but I don't know how prices compare to bulk barn. I'm a 5 minute walk from Kensington and a 20 minute walk from Bulk Barn so laziness usually takes me to the closer place..

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:46 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Oh man, the Veg Fest is AWESOME. It's so, so, so fun and inspiring. It's always at the beginning of September.
I wore my PPK t-shirt last year because I'm a nerd (and I got a shoutout from Terry at her cooking demo because of it), I'll probably do the same this year.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:12 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Tea wrote:
I buy most of my bulk at various places in Kensington market, but I don't know how prices compare to bulk barn. I'm a 5 minute walk from Kensington and a 20 minute walk from Bulk Barn so laziness usually takes me to the closer place..

Oh yeah, the Spice Store in Kensington is EPIC. I can't get enough of that place.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:12 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

paprikapapaya wrote:
Oh man, the Veg Fest is AWESOME. It's so, so, so fun and inspiring. It's always at the beginning of September.
I wore my PPK t-shirt last year because I'm a nerd (and I got a shoutout from Terry at her cooking demo because of it), I'll probably do the same this year.

Let's all wear our PPK shirts and have a meetup!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:28 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

lobsteriffic wrote:
okay I have another question! Where would the best (i.e., cheap) place be to stock up on lentils and dried beans and stuff?

oh and I'm definitely going to check out that Hotel Gelato place! Toronto has so many great-sounding vegan places, I'm going to be broke (but have a happy tummy).

Bulk barn...I think the closest one is at Carleton. There is a pretty good health food at Yonge & Eg called Noah's Natural Foods. It's on Yonge st north of Eglinton (north of Broadway ave). If you venture farther, Kensington market has some good spots. There was also this place called John Vince foods in North York that had tons of bulk. I haven't been there in a long time so I don't know if or how much it may have changed.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:07 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Thank you so much for the suggestions!

And now I need a PPK shirt for veg fest, we can be a massive contingent.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:54 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I <3 the toronto veg food fest! I went last year and def going back this year. I also just heard about this one that's taking place at the end of August, it's in the niagara area - http://rawstockniagara.com/ It's a raw vegan food fair! I hope to go to this as well!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:30 pm 
Inflexitarian

I'll have to make sure I get to the one this year! I could've made last years, but I didn't find out about it until after it was over.

Second the idea of wearing ppk shirts. I'll have to get one.

Also: Is anybody here doing the Pride & Remembrance Run tomorrow?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:08 am 
WELFARIST!

I didn't do the Pride & Remembrance run, but hope it was grand!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:21 pm 
Inflexitarian

It was pretty fun. The Pride Parade yesterday was also a blast.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:43 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I checked out Essence of Life in Kensington Market on Sunday - it was great! Well, it's kind of hard maneuvering around the teeny tiny aisles, but they sure have a lot of stuff. I couldn't get too much because I wasn't going directly home, but what a cute little store! I wanted to check out Sugar and Spice or whatever, but they were closed.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:04 pm 
Inflexitarian

Essence of Life is my usual source of peanut butter. I think I go through one of the big containers in two weeks... which maaaybe is questionable from a nutritional standpoint, but I don't care because peanut butter is the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:41 pm 
Saggy Butt

essence of life has good prices on so much stuff!

i have a booth again this year at the veg food fair... y'all need to come by and visit!! what an awesome weekend. i'd totally rock a ppk pin :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:19 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

what is your booth? I'll definitely come visit! Okay now I really do need to order a PPK shirt.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:44 pm 
Saggy Butt

bloomer's bakery! i'll be somewhere outdoors, with a shiitake ton of baking. i can't wait to see ppk shirts cruising around.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:43 pm 
Inflexitarian

Is there anywhere downtown to get lumber for building furniture? The place I'm moving into has an exceptionally small bedroom and I'm thinking I might try building a loft bed; Found lots of instructions online (with photos!) so now I'm all pumped up and want to go for it. But, everything I'm seeing with a google search appears to be pretty far away. I guess if I get it delivered it doesn't make a difference where I get it.

eta: Wait, nevermind. I looked harder. In that case, replace the above question with "Where is the most cost effective place to get lumber?"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:36 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Is anyone signing up for the Toronto Walk for Farm Animals on Sept 29th? I did the one in San Francisco last year, it was a pretty good time.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:42 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

lobsteriffic wrote:
Is anyone signing up for the Toronto Walk for Farm Animals on Sept 29th? I did the one in San Francisco last year, it was a pretty good time.

I might be! I did last year, though I didn't go to the event - I did the walk from home type of thing because I had to work on the actual day, and I took a peaceful walk around a lake near my house instead.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:54 am 
Inflexitarian

Ugh, when does Toronto start getting cold again? I am completely unable to sleep in this heat; been trying unsuccessfully for 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:09 pm 
Saggy Butt

Tea wrote:
Ugh, when does Toronto start getting cold again? I am completely unable to sleep in this heat; been trying unsuccessfully for 5 hours

isn't it wild? fans don't even do a damn thing. we should be sleeping on our lawns. or front steps. or any available outdoor space, under sprinklers.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:41 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

chimrichalds wrote:
Tea wrote:

isn't it wild? fans don't even do a damn thing. we should be sleeping on our lawns. or front steps. or any available outdoor space, under sprinklers.

I take a cold pack to bed, wrapped in a towel. It's like a cuddly, icy teddy bear.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:22 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

It looks like it's going to be kind of awful tomorrow...

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/city/pag ... ric_e.html

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:27 pm 
Inflexitarian

Gross... Though, I admit I kind of like lightning.

By the way: This is a shot in the dark, but is anyone looking for a place to live in September? Or even October. (or know of someone who is). Some friends and I are going in on a five bedroom apartment in the Kensington Market area. One of us dropped out, but we decided to rent it anyway and worry about finding a fifth person later.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:30 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

lobsteriffic wrote:

I'm not sure yet. Maybe? I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, I adore Farm Sanctuary, because obviously. On the other hand, I feel for the local farm sanctuaries that struggle to make ends meet and to the extent that I'm fundraising for sanctuaries I feel a sense of loyalty towards them.

Also, there's only so much hitting up of family and friends for donations one can do, so I want to choose my campaigns strategically. There's so little work being done in Canada for animals, relative to the US, and I worry that if Canadians aren't funding campaigns for animals in Canada, nobody is.

So that is my long answer as to why I might but probably won't sign up for the walk, despite loving Farm Sanctuary, farm animals, and walking.

What do others think about this?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:32 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Tea wrote:
Gross... Though, I admit I kind of like lightning.

By the way: This is a shot in the dark, but is anyone looking for a place to live in September? Or even October. (or know of someone who is). Some friends and I are going in on a five bedroom apartment in the Kensington Market area. One of us dropped out, but we decided to rent it anyway and worry about finding a fifth person later.

It's true, lightning is pretty cool.

I'm not looking for a place to live, but you should put a (free) listing in the TVA classifieds! I know of people who have found veg roommates that way.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 690 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 28  Next