| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I am taking my massage certification exam
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:10 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

SHORT VERSION: I'm taking the National Certification Exam for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork tomorrow. Between my life being super crazy the last few months, and the fact that I suck at studying, I am not entirely confident that I'm going to pass. But I'm going to take it anyway! So, send good vibes/cheer for me/think good thoughts/pray/do a good-test-mojo-dance/whatever it is you do? <3

TL;DR VERSION: So I finally signed up for the National Certification Exam for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork. I graduated from massage school in 2009, but I decided not to take the exam right away because I didn't need the certification at the time, and also because I didn't want my "legal" name on my massage license (since I'm transgender and my legal name is still my pre-transition name, and generally I prefer that people not know that name). But then last summer I decided I just wanted to go ahead and get certified, and I don't care what name I have to use, so I applied to take the exam. Basically, the way it works for this test is, you have to apply to take the exam, and once they accept your application and you pay $225, they give you a window of three months in which to take it. So my application was accepted in August, which gave me 3 months after that to sign up for a test date. Plenty of time, right?!

Well, yeah, then I decided to move from Indiana to Pennsylvania, so I spent most of September getting ready to move, and most of October getting acclimated to my new environment, and then WHOA HEY all of a sudden it's the end of October and my test window expires November 16th! So I scheduled myself for the LAST POSSIBLE TEST DATE in my window, at 2pm on November 16th.

The thing is, I suck at studying. I never figured out any effective way to get my brain to retain information that doesn't have a practical application, and the obnoxious thing about this exam is that it's entirely multiple choice and the information you're tested on is all the things you don't actually need to know for the practical application of massage therapy. So I can study for hours and hours and if my brain decides I don't really need the information, it's all going to get filtered out no matter how much effort I put in and no matter how many ridiculous mnemonics I come up with.

Regardless, I'm taking the test tomorrow at 2pm, whether I have enough of the information memorized to get a passing score or not! So, send good vibes/cheer for me/think good thoughts/pray/do a good-test-mojo-dance/whatever it is you do? <3

Post subject: Re: I am taking my massage certification exam
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:34 am 
Saggy Butt

I'm sending good thoughts! I bet you're retaining more than you realize as you are studying. Good luck though. Do something exciting to celebrate tonight. :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:42 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

My awesome friend is meeting up with me for lunch before the test, and then he's going to come with me and hang out in the waiting area until I'm done.

The other nervewracking part is, you find out your score immediately. So when everyone starts asking me immediately after the test to tell them how the test went, I don't get any time where I get to be like, "Oh, I dunno, I won't get my results for another week so I'm just trying to not think about it"...I'll already have my answer.

Oh, and I'm also responsible for leading the business meeting for the intentional community I now live in, for the first time, ever, tomorrow night. So I get to come home right after I finish the exam and lead this meeting. (I knew this in advance, and I have people co-leading with me, but it's still a lot of pressure!)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:48 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I hope it all goes well for you. I remember when I was a child, my mom having me help her memorize muscles for her massage exam.

I think massage is such a wonderful, helpful profession and I hope you pass!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:55 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

Thanks!

I do have a couple of study books. But I can't find the really good one anywhere. When I moved, I packed all the others in the same box, but I packed that one separately because I probably figured I was putting it somewhere that would be easier for me to find than if I packed it in the box with all the others. Smart.

I'm sure I'll find it the day after the test.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:05 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Good luck.
I have been pulling for you since you said you were taking the exam weeks ago.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:59 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Good luck! I'll be thinking happy information retention thoughts for you.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:18 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Best wishes! (Maybe you can look up something to study from on line if you can't find your books? But it's probably too late to start studying now.)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:01 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Good luck!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:46 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Many of the online resources are outdated or inaccurate, and most of them cost money.

Honestly, if I fail this test, it won't be because I didn't study. It will be if there's stuff on the test that we didn't cover in school. I passed my final exam at school with no problem, and I passed all the interim tests.