| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 582 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Migraine Thread
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:25 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

First of all, I'm so sorry! Parenting with a migraine is SO BAD. It's almost worse that ever since she was little Livi has been so good to me and helpful when I have one.

Summer is definitely a trigger for me, as are storm fronts and a whole mess of other stuff. Do you have a neurologist or a really good GP? They can get you a good triptan - I myself am a big fan of my relpax, and one relpax plus 2 aleve (that's what my neuro said to do) at the onset almost always makes me better within 30 minutes. When it's really hot I just go out as little as possible and I drink as much water as I possibly can - 8 glasses minimum.

Also, do you have a food journal? I have a food journal where I write weather changes and food and water intake and all that and it helps me see some things that I can change/fix/eliminate. The best thing I've ever read for Migraines is The Migraine Brain by Carolyn Bernstein - it's super helpful. I also love A Brain Wider than the Sky by Andrew Levy, but that's more of a story then help.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:34 pm 

the humidity is forking killing me. 3 days in a row i've had migraines. nauseated too. woooo.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:24 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

appifanie wrote:
the humidity is forking killing me. 3 days in a row i've had migraines. nauseated too. woooo.

I went to my PCP last week to talk about my migraines. I always thought they were sinus headaches because whenever the weather gets gloomy or there is a front coming in, I am in misery. She said they should like cluster headaches and wants me to see a neurologist.
In the meantime, I got some zomig, which has always worked for me.

Hope you are feelng better :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:25 pm 

I'd be surprised if they're cluster - definitely see a good neuro though - a good one is a great thing! I'm glad the zomig works for you (it worked for me for awhile).

The last 2 days have been less humid so I am doing better, thanks! I hope you're feeling better too :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:14 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

After doing pretty well for awhile I got a terrible migrane yesterday, which I believe to be due to the heat and the fact that I was in a car the whole day pretty much the day before coming back from a trip. The sun and heat must have done it, but I still feel kind of bad today and worn out, and its only getting more hot tommorrow, apparently 97 F is expected. Hopefully I'll make it but I feel so useless. I'll have to go sit in the library or coffee shop or somewhere with air conditioning if I start feeling bad tommorrow I think, but its so hard to be outside of home.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:20 am 

oh yeah sun and heat and long road trip! it's the trifecta of evil. also when you're driving and the sunlight is flashing at you through the trees. when i lived in maine heat was fine because it was maybe 5 days a summer that were so hot so i would just stay home, but here in nc it's hot like 5-6 months (psyched to move back north in 6 weeks).

good luck veggie! hang tight. do you have any migraine meds?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:35 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Yes, I have meds, imatrex, which does help in most cases, but sometimes with the heat and light and everything there's no making anything better. Been staying out of the sun and heat as much as possible, so all is well for now though.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:46 am 

yeah i get that - wish i didn't, but i do. i tend to crank the a/c too much and that helps a little.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:25 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

the weather was overcast and humid yesterday - got a doozy of a migraine that lasted all day. I took the zomig around 8 and went to sleep. I feel fine today.......I'm trying to find a food connection but thus far I can't. I'm keeping a journal to help out the neurologist when I see him.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:13 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Oh man...I haven't gotten a migraine in a while, but today I am suffering. Sore neck, flashy lights, and nauseated. Ugh. I think it is related to the heat, unfortunately, since that isn't letting up over the next few days.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:27 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

same here (heat induced migraine), going on day 3 of nausea, light and smell sensitivity and soreness (which is totally new for me). eventually I'll find the right cocktail to end this stand-off. :-\

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:07 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I hope you feel better soon...this is really no fun. and I have no painkillers at work for some reason, but plenty of clients to give me pain...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:38 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Anyone feel like Imitrex somehow ends up wearing off and then giving you a migraine that lasts days?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:47 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

strawberryrock wrote:
Anyone feel like Imitrex somehow ends up wearing off and then giving you a migraine that lasts days?

yes! it will give me rebound headaches faster then a night of drinking :-(

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:48 am 

dangersquirrel wrote:
strawberryrock wrote:

Glad it's not just me. I took it a while ago and this happened...and then I was scared to take it again but I did yesterday because I wasn't sure if that was a fluke. Apparently not! I'm worried because last time I had a migraine for four days after I took it! And it's my birthday weekend! Uggggh. I need to go buy some excedrin but I don't want to get dressed.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:32 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

strawberryrock wrote:
dangersquirrel wrote:
strawberryrock wrote:

Glad it's not just me. I took it a while ago and this happened...and then I was scared to take it again but I did yesterday because I wasn't sure if that was a fluke. Apparently not! I'm worried because last time I had a migraine for four days after I took it! And it's my birthday weekend! Uggggh. I need to go buy some excedrin but I don't want to get dressed.

not you at all! my primary care doc gave me imitrex and said I could take it at 1st sign of any migraine, but my neurologist gave me fioricet as it had less reported rebound headaches. I also find if I take to much imitrex that it ups my anxiety level to near paranoia.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:33 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

strawberryrock wrote:
dangersquirrel wrote:
strawberryrock wrote:

I hope you get rid of your migraine soon, so you can have a happy birthday!!!! :-D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:39 am 

I haaaaate imitrex. It makes my heart hurt. Seriously.

Also fioricet is a barbituate, not a triptan. I knew people who basically turned into fioricet junkies.

I think Excedrin is still recalled? I haven't seen it in stores. My neuro tells me not to take it but I take it every once in awhile.

Meanwhile, last week I was in Orlando (HOT and HUMID) and I had my period and I was off my caffeine schedule. Hell. 3-4 in a week. 5? I forget. Blargh.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:43 am 

appifanie wrote:
I think Excedrin is still recalled? I haven't seen it in stores. My neuro tells me not to take it but I take it every once in awhile.

I can still find store brands! Though I actually ended up finding an old bottle of Safeway brand in my cupboard, and it actually killed the migraine completely, which I think was some birthday magic.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:04 pm 

oh good! win for birthday magic because a migraine on the birthday is a real stinker! I used to buy the biggest bottles which is the only way I still have some. I never got around to checking if it was a recalled batch. hmm.

eta: i just checked they expired in 12/11, so uhm. . . .

Last edited by appifanie on Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:07 pm 

The recall just means there might be some hardcore painkillers in there but the pill shapes are different. So if a pill doesn't look the same as the rest, don't take it...or do take it and consider it a bonus? Ha...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:24 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

appifanie wrote:
I haaaaate imitrex. It makes my heart hurt. Seriously.

Also fioricet is a barbituate, not a triptan. I knew people who basically turned into fioricet junkies.

Meanwhile, last week I was in Orlando (HOT and HUMID) and I had my period and I was off my caffeine schedule. Hell. 3-4 in a week. 5? I forget. Blargh.

man I love me some imitrex! if I could just use it each and every time, I'd be a happy camper.

not sure why they gave me the fioricet as the 1st line med to be honest. seem's a bit wonky to tear me a new one if I take too many tiriptans, while simultaneously trying to get me hooked on a barbituate (which does nothing for my migraines). :-\

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:01 pm 

I got a prescription for Maxalt-MLT, anyone taken it?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:18 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

strawberryrock wrote:
I got a prescription for Maxalt-MLT, anyone taken it?

yes, I'm on the maxalt-mlt. it's my go-to choice when I have any nausea. also it may totally be mental, but I swear it works faster. I know some folks aren't keen on the taste, but I don't have a problem with it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:12 pm 

danger - i think some docs are just flabbergasted by migraines. i once had a doc prescribe me codeine. so not at all useful. how many triptans are you on? as i recall you're not supposed to mix triptans too close to each other.

sberry - i think one of the samples I had once was maxalt - i don't remember it working great for me but I don't remember anything bad either. also, i wouldn't let a bad taste stop me from curing a migraine :D

my doc today was flabbergasted by my increase in migraines - i'm pretty sure it's a southern summer/stress combo. blaaaargh.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 582 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 24  Next