| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Addicted to Kombucha
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:52 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

after a lot of procrastination, I created a pictorial of my kombucha making process for my co-op blog: http://4thstreetfoodcoop.wordpress.com/ ... ha-method/

I notice my measurements are a bit different from Vijita's link, which just goes to show how forgiving the whole process really is.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:31 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Disclaimer, I didn't read the whole thread, but I work at a couple of vegan places in LA, and there is this guy in my neighborhood who makes the rounds of all the 'booch selling hotspots and buys like 6 bottles of the stuff everyday! He doesn't talk, always has headphones on, and has a crazed look if we happen to be out and waiting on our delivery. There's definitely something in the 'booch, so watch out, and don't become a kombucha zombie! (I'm sure you're not zombie material, but this guy has me thinking 'booch might be the new bath salts.)

/PSA

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.”
--Margaret Meade

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:38 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I've never had kombucha. Any recommendations on a great brand/flavor to try?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:06 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I ordered a scoby from a lady and have just started brewing my own. If anyone gets in a bind and needs a scoby, I'd be happy to send you one.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:04 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I brew my own but my favorite store bought stuff is gt's in trilogy or gingerberry.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:07 pm 

I just tried GT's Grape Chia one and it was a little hard to swallow, so I chased every sip with some green tea. It tastes a bit like vinegary wine to me. I also got the mango one to try. Is it an acquired taste?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:03 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

For me, it was definitely an aquired taste. The first time I tried Kombucha, I thought I was going to barf. But strangely, I kept making myself drink it and now I am a total addict. A day without Kombucha is a sad day...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:36 pm 
Inflexitarian

I need a scooby: help me find one. I'm tired of forking over $25 ish a week for gt's

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:51 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Hey you can grow your own scoby with a bottle of unflavored GT's. Put the GT's in a glass bowl or jar along with one cup of very strong tea (not herbal) and a heaping tablespoon of white sugar. Cover it with a clean cloth and you should have a scoby in 5-10 days. That scoby will be kinda thin but once you brew your first batch it'll thicken up.
I've done it several times myself.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:47 am 

chosephine wrote:
For me, it was definitely an aquired taste. The first time I tried Kombucha, I thought I was going to barf. But strangely, I kept making myself drink it and now I am a total addict. A day without Kombucha is a sad day...

I've been drinking the same bottle of Grape Chia (4 oz at a time) for 3 days and am starting to really like it. I'm trying the mango flavor next. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:10 am 
Saggy Butt

smelfood wrote:
chosephine wrote:

I've been drinking the same bottle of Grape Chia (4 oz at a time) for 3 days and am starting to really like it. I'm trying the mango flavor next. :)

don't do it! i tried it a long time ago before the recall and hated it and had a raspberry chia a few days ago and loved it. and i had a gingerberry yesterday and that was awesome, but i also picked up a mango and am not so into it. it also has so much sugar in it! the gingerberry had 4g per 8oz serving and this one has 10g. i'm guessing from the mango puree, but i don't think it tastes very good to make up for it.

well, i guess it's not so bad it's just a disappointment after those first two were.

i also have a bottle of High Country Elderberry and Hibiscus in my fridge, am i going to be pleased with it?
Wegmans also has Kevita which is probiotic coconut water-based drink, that iw ant to try, does anyone know if it is similar or worth trying?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:44 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

Sooooo, I decided my kombucha needed more sugar so I boiled some water and sugar, let it cool and added it. It sat on top and didn't mix and got the towel that keeps the flies out of the kombucha wet, which means it got in contact with the kombucha, obivously.

So, do I toss the batch, or the whole scoby, or just go for it and bottle it? Taste it and see how it tastes?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:46 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I'd just taste it but I'm not one to phase easily.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:23 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

lycophyte wrote:
Sooooo, I decided my kombucha needed more sugar so I boiled some water and sugar, let it cool and added it. It sat on top and didn't mix and got the towel that keeps the flies out of the kombucha wet, which means it got in contact with the kombucha, obivously.

So, do I toss the batch, or the whole scoby, or just go for it and bottle it? Taste it and see how it tastes?

I'd say as long as you don't see mold, you're good. I'd usually soak the towel on top in some white vinegar before putting it back, and I'm sure it's touched something at some point.

Man, do I really miss kombucha brewing!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:31 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I have a question about reaction to kombucha, maybe it belongs in the bathroom. I posted here about being very excited to get a scoby and make my own kombucha, which I did and it turned out well and tasted delicious. I had only had store-bought up to that point and only occasionally because of the price but with my own cheap homemade stuff I was drinking some every day. This may be too much personal womanly information for some so I will spoiler it

Spoiler: show
Until, that is, I started to have a burning sensation in my vulval area. No discharge, just burning, so that I had to stop wearing my usual quite skimpy underwear and wear bikini briefs. I have never had a yeast infection in my life and am not sure if that could be it, and also wondered if it could be from the acidity of the drink. One of my sons when he was a baby used to get a diaper rash when I ate too many oranges. I did google it with inconclusive results. When I stopped drinking the kombucha the burning ended. There were no other changes in my diet or lifestyle at the same time. Any ideas or similar experiences?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:42 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

No idea about the burning. I'd probably drink more kombucha and see if it comes back. maybe brew it less so its less acidic?

I'm gonna bottle it, it didn't taste funny and there was no mold. I will probably not save any leftover liquor though to brew the next batch, just the scoby.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:44 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Could be a weird allergic reaction?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:15 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Cherry chia is awesome!!
The kelvita is meh. Not bad.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:35 pm 
Inflexitarian

EllaGuru wrote:
Hey you can grow your own scoby with a bottle of unflavored GT's. Put the GT's in a glass bowl or jar along with one cup of very strong tea (not herbal) and a heaping tablespoon of white sugar. Cover it with a clean cloth and you should have a scoby in 5-10 days. That scoby will be kinda thin but once you brew your first batch it'll thicken up.
I've done it several times myself.

I don't know that I've seen it unflavored... I'll look. I've tried it with some of the others I have had and it didn't work.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:35 pm 

Norelle wrote:
smelfood wrote:
chosephine wrote:

don't do it! i tried it a long time ago before the recall and hated it and had a raspberry chia a few days ago and loved it. and i had a gingerberry yesterday and that was awesome, but i also picked up a mango and am not so into it. it also has so much sugar in it! the gingerberry had 4g per 8oz serving and this one has 10g. i'm guessing from the mango puree, but i don't think it tastes very good to make up for it.

well, i guess it's not so bad it's just a disappointment after those first two were.

The mango one tasted too much like alcohol to me and the hubby had to finish it. I got the raspberry chia and gingerade to try next (bonus: I somehow got one of them for free! Which means I only paid ~1.93 each!!).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:57 pm 
Nailed to the V

kombucha in a bottle is good, but kombucha on tap is a m a z i n g.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:23 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

I got a SCOBY from a PPKer whose real name I know and whose screen name I've forgotten! I can't keep it all up there :D

After 9 days I just moved my first batch from a gallon glass jar to smaller bottles for the 2nd ferment/fizzy making/fruit flavor adding, and I started a 2nd batch.

Batch 1 was 1/2 English Breakfast and 1/2 Irish Breakfast and I made it into plain, blueberry ginger, and pineapple.

Batch 2 is 1/2 Green Tea and 1/2 Black Tea.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:55 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I just added my scoby to a gallon of jasmine/rooibus tonight ! First time kombucha maker here. The kit's from Oregon Kombucha (from the VVC2013 swag stuff).

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 10:09 am 
Not NOT A Furry

The gluten-free shop here in Sac carries a lavender kombucha that I LOVE. That one really is an acquired taste, though.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 10:56 am 
Inflexitarian

jdfunks wrote:
I just added my scoby to a gallon of jasmine/rooibus tonight ! First time kombucha maker here. The kit's from Oregon Kombucha (from the VVC2013 swag stuff).

I just got a new Scoby from Oregon Kombucha - my old one was fine but it wasn't fully submerged in the kombucha when I stored it and I've had some issues with food poisioning lately so I didn't want to take the chance that something might have gone wrong. Can't wait to try out the new scoby. I ordered their pear ginger tea so we'll see how it goes with this new batch.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next