| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2860 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75 ... 115  Next
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:09 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Finally got out for a run this morning. Finding it hard to get into a routine at the moment. I found a bridleway which I didn't know existed so that was good and it was surprisingly dry considering all the rain we have had.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:07 pm 
Double double, toil and trouble

Did my second 13-miler yesterday, and it felt way better than my first. I'm usually really terrible at hydrating during runs (and I live in a super dry area), but yesterday I took some water mixed with a bit of Gatorade powder, and I finished feeling great! I also felt fine, though a bit tired, during the day yesterday, so I'm definitely improving at during and post-run nutrition.

I swam a mile this morning to stretch out my legs and ankles, and it was soooo nice. Swimming twice a week has been awesome for run recovery, and though I've had to reduce my running mileage a bit to work it in, it's entirely worth it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:34 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Hi!
I run about 17-20 miles a week, with my long runs presently at 9 miles....my issue on longer runs is my mid-back...my erectors on either side of my spine get kind of spasm-y and painful. I wonder if this is related to the general jostling involved? Like maybe my abs aren't strong enough to support my torso?? I feel resistant to strengthen my core for some reason, like it's just one more pesty thing to add to the schedule, even though I know it'd be good for me....

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:09 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

My step-dad is running his 50th half marathon tomorrow! He requested the number 50 for his bib number, and we (the kids) took out an ad in the paper to commemorate it. The fam is all meeting him at the finish line tomorrow. I'm excited!

Yay running families!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:07 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Wow that is so cool!!!!

I did my 20 miler this morning. It's the first time I've ran over 18 miles and I thought I was going to die for the last 5 miles. I had to take a few walk breaking when going up hills at the very end, but I finished. And now it's officially taper time until the marathon. The marathon is in a MUCH cooler climate though so I'm hoping I won't feel like death at the end.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:25 pm 

It was raining today so went to the gym. Ran a PB of 25 minutes exactly on the treadmill. Then had a lovely relaxing swim, steam & sauna to celebrate!

50 marathons that's so impressive! Let us know how he does.

Congrats on the 20 miles Lobsteriffic.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:56 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

The race went well! It was hot as hell this morning, so my step-dad finished a few minutes slower than usual; he came in at 1:57. (Usual finish is between 1:52-1:55) Honestly, at this point, he is running a 1/2 marathon almost once a month so he's pretty much always race ready. He's my inspiration. I hope I'm still running like that when I am 57!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:53 am 

You guys, running has been so hard for me lately. It was close to 100 degrees every day last week, so I didn't go out. I cannot run without feeling like my heart is about to explode when it's over 75 degrees at 6 in the morning. It has FINALLY cooled off to the 80s so I'm really hoping to get up to speed again tomorrow.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:56 am 

alice1drland wrote:
You guys, running has been so hard for me lately. It was close to 100 degrees every day last week, so I didn't go out. I cannot run without feeling like my heart is about to explode when it's over 75 degrees at 6 in the morning. It has FINALLY cooled off to the 80s so I'm really hoping to get up to speed again tomorrow.

Ugh, that sounds awful. The heat kills me, too. Do you have access to an indoor track or treadmill?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:26 am 

Not really, but I hate running indoors anyway. I went out this morning and managed to get 4.75 miles in, but I'm hoping to be back up to 6 by the end of the week or the weekend. Yeesh.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:19 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I ran about 7 miles this morning and found $30 on the ground! Also, I saw a rabbit.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:41 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Whoa Dave, that's awesome! It's like getting paid to run!

I did 6 miles this morning. I'm already loving taper time. People always talk about how they hate tapering and they get stir-crazy, but I'm super relieved. I was getting mental burn-out.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:24 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I ran this morning and even though it's perfect weather, I've been struggling with it. I'll get back into it though. It's just been harder than I remember. I have bad exercise weeks sometimes though and this is just one of them.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:28 pm 

Ran for 40 minutes on the beach. It was hard! My tummy was really hurting & I wanted to stop after 10 minutes but I thought of all of you to keep me motivated. Thank you.

Nice find Dave!

Studio your step Dad is awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:09 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

studio wrote:
The race went well! It was hot as hell this morning, so my step-dad finished a few minutes slower than usual; he came in at 1:57. (Usual finish is between 1:52-1:55) Honestly, at this point, he is running a 1/2 marathon almost once a month so he's pretty much always race ready. He's my inspiration. I hope I'm still running like that when I am 57!

Wow! That's amazing, good for him.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:09 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

The pride run last week, plus the immediately following associated pride activities and excessively enthusiastic pride dancing and drinking made for a sore and lazy week, but I got back into it yesterday with a ~34 minute run

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:17 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Yay! Finally went back out, after 2 weeks of laziness! Amazing how quickly I lost all that I had achieved in terms of resistance. Onward!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:39 am 

6 miles this morning. Hopefully fully back on track soon.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:18 am 

Possible TMI:

I'm nearing the end of Week 3 of my marathon training, and everything's gone really well until today! I had a ten-miler scheduled this morning (longer runs are usually on Saturdays, but I'm traveling this weekend so I switched my schedule around a bit). However, I was sidelined by a yeast infection! I've been treating some mild symptoms this week-- garlic, yogurt, the usual-- and thought it was getting better. Woke up at midnight with severe symptoms, went out and bought the one-day Monistat treatment, and am now tired from lack of sleep and wary of getting too hot and sweaty while I'm battling this thing. The worst part is that my weekend trip is to celebrate my and my partner's anniversary. Missed run + least sexy romantic weekend ever. Blech!

Do any of you notice an increase in YIs that seems to be linked to running (particularly during warm weather)? I rarely get them during the winter, but when it heats up outside I suffer from them regularly, particularly when I've quite active. I think I'm doing everything right: I run in wicking clothing, change out of damp gear and shower as soon as I'm home, eat acidophilus and garlic regularly, and see my gyno yearly!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:38 pm 
Dead by dawn

chop_socky wrote:
Do any of you notice an increase in YIs that seems to be linked to running (particularly during warm weather)? I rarely get them during the winter, but when it heats up outside I suffer from them regularly, particularly when I've quite active. I think I'm doing everything right: I run in wicking clothing, change out of damp gear and shower as soon as I'm home, eat acidophilus and garlic regularly, and see my gyno yearly!

I haven't (don't hate me, but I just... don't get them) but I always sort of expect to, especially doing triathlon. Sitting on the bike, then running in tri shorts with a wet chamois just seems like a recipe for a YI. I don't know what the solution is because it does sound like you're doing all the right things to combat the increased risk that comes with the heat and sweat. Does your sugar and/or alcohol intake have any effect? Some people say that cutting down on simple sugars helps, though you need those carbs when you're running a lot...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:49 pm 

monkeytoes wrote:
I haven't (don't hate me, but I just... don't get them) but I always sort of expect to, especially doing triathlon. Sitting on the bike, then running in tri shorts with a wet chamois just seems like a recipe for a YI. I don't know what the solution is because it does sound like you're doing all the right things to combat the increased risk that comes with the heat and sweat. Does your sugar and/or alcohol intake have any effect? Some people say that cutting down on simple sugars helps, though you need those carbs when you're running a lot...

I don't drink much alcohol-- one or two gin and tonics a week, and beer very occasionally. I'm prone to YIs in the days before my period, which the internet and the Monistat instructions both tell me is pretty common. I'm due in a few days, so this is pretty much on schedule, but it hasn't happened since the weather was last warm, and I've tried so hard to keep up with my anti-yeasty foods and supplements, especially since I've started swimming in recent weeks.

That said, I have been consuming a lot more in the way of sugars-- rice, bread, pasta, cereal, baked goods, etc.-- since upping my mileage. Most days I don't tend to overindulge in these things-- I try to control portions of pasta and the like, and I (usually) limit myself to one serving of dessert, but carbs are pretty much a staple at every meal. Maybe I'll try switching to salads for one meal a day. I hadn't really thought of this is a potential contributing factor, but it's certainly possible. When I was doing P90X, prior to getting really into running, I craved protein constantly, and my carb consumption was minimal. I didn't have any YIs then. When I switched to running I started craving nothing but carbs, and I've had a couple of YIs in that time. Also, it's been between 90 and 105 degrees almost every day for weeks now, which means even when I'm just sitting around indoors I'm sweating like crazy (we only have a window unit A/C, and it's pretty useless when it's above 80 degrees out).

Okay, I'm finished whining. But thanks for the response, monkeytoes! I'mma reconsider diet!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:19 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Got back out there today - ran around the lake. My running has been in fits and spurts; I have this irrational thought in my head that if I can't run as well as, say Pippa Middleton, then I should just forget it altogether. Just need to keep reminding myself that the only person I have to beat is me. Forgot how great you feel after a good run.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:33 pm 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Went out again yesterday, 50 minutes! I'm glad I didn't completely lose my minimal training with my off-weeks, and now I only need to keep it up and keep remembering that I like how I feel after a long (for me) run. I had a super powerful song right at the end and I started sprinting and did a few hundred meters at top speed, man did that feel good!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:12 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I ran this morning but it was so muggy out it was like I wanted to ask God or Nature or whatever powers that be just to wring the air out for me puh-lease! The air today felt like a wet towel that had been left in a sauna for an hour.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:27 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

seitanicverses wrote:
I ran this morning but it was so muggy out it was like I wanted to ask God or Nature or whatever powers that be just to wring the air out for me puh-lease! The air today felt like a wet towel that had been left in a sauna for an hour.

I know!!! I went out this morning too and I felt like a giant sweaty beast.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 2860 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75 ... 115  Next