| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: High Protein Cookbooks?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:18 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

So... I know all my threads in this section are request rather than recommendations... but...

Does anyone know of any higher protein vegan cookery books? I've found one on the Kindle store that was not only not high protein (cocktails...?! Seriously?) but also not vegan (milk is not a vegetable). Or even moderately developed blogs?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: High Protein Cookbooks?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:08 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

I haven't seen any specifically vegan cookbooks that are protein oriented, but there are some low carb (or moderate carb) cookbooks that are higher protein by default. Carb Conscious Vegetarian is the best of these in my opinion. Are you looking for something that uses protein powders? Or just something heavy in legumes?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:32 pm 

mollyjade wrote:
I haven't seen any specifically vegan cookbooks that are protein oriented, but there are some low carb (or moderate carb) cookbooks that are higher protein by default. Carb Conscious Vegetarian is the best of these in my opinion. Are you looking for something that uses protein powders? Or just something heavy in legumes?
I'll check CCV out, though. Thanks for your help.

I like just generally higher protein stuff. I'm not adverse to using protein powders, but I'd rather have it in sausage form.

FINE, I'll start a blog with all the ones I've made up. You convinced me. Oh, how tiresome...

Yay.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:36 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Looking forward to the blog!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:40 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I'd love to read that blog, Gulliver!

And I really think someone should write a cookbook with high-protein and high-calorie recipes. For us who are very active or need to put on mass. I need a book like that!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:26 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Gulliver wrote:
but I'd rather have it in sausage form.

Wouldn't we all...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:30 pm 
Saggy Butt

Whilst not primarily aimed at vegans, Rose Elliot's 'Vegetarian low carb diet' has a bulk of recipes reasonably high in protein. Although some of the recipes are full of crepe like butter, cheese and eggs, she often includes a vegan alternative, and you can substitute the dairy for non-dairy in most cases anyway. The portions are measly though as it's designed for weight loss, so you'll need to double them probably if you're training.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:53 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I don't think I have seen a vegan cookbook with the theme of being as high protein as possible.

If you want to eat high protein with well rounded nutrition the way to go is to base your meals on a legume ( beans, peas, etc ) served with a whole grain and or a seed.

The next level up is to include soy foods. Regular soybeans, edammame, tempeh or tofu.

Plenty of recipe books with many recipes for soy foods and legume dishes.

If you still want even more protein and don't care about eating *some* processed food ( i.e. not as nutritionally complete as natural whole foods like legumes, grains, soy ) the best you can get on a vegan diet is to eat mock meats made from wheat gluten or isolated soy protein. Plenty of recipes in existing vegan cookbooks for those things to.

You can also supplement your diet with a vegan protein powder drink a day. Don't believe the fear mongering, soy is perfectly safe. Don't believe the hype of some of the speciality protein powders promoted towards vegans either. Just get the cheapest vegan soy protein powder.

A nice alternative to that is Lewis Labs brewers yeast. Brewer's yeast is a "food" and Lewis Labs grows it for human consumption, not as a byproduct so it tastes better than other brands. In addition to protein you get a load of minerals and b vitamins.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:05 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I just looked up the nutritional info for the Lewis Labs brewers yeast out of curiosity, and it has tons more protein than nutritional yeast. Not much B12 though. I tried brewers yeast a long time ago that was absolutely vile tasting but don't recall the brand name.

bird noises | book of faces

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:29 am 
Bathes in Braggs

bunniee wrote:
I just looked up the nutritional info for the Lewis Labs brewers yeast out of curiosity, and it has tons more protein than nutritional yeast. Not much B12 though. I tried brewers yeast a long time ago that was absolutely vile tasting but don't recall the brand name.

You might want to double check the units when trying to decide which has more protein. A lot of games are played with the phrase "level tablespoon". I think the protein is about the same. Brewers yeast is a byproduct of beer making. The Lewis Labs brand tastes better because they make it directly for human consumption and by growing it off of sugar beets.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:48 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I have a high protein recipe you can try. Open your fridge, open a package of tofurkey slices, jam 3-4 in your mouth, close package, close door.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:02 pm 

mrsbadmouth wrote:
I have a high protein recipe you can try. Open your fridge, open a package of tofurkey slices, jam 3-4 in your mouth, close package, close door.
Yeah, but that gets expensive pretty fast. Damn you, Redwood!

Rosie wrote:
You can also supplement your diet with a vegan protein powder drink a day. Don't believe the fear mongering, soy is perfectly safe. Don't believe the hype of some of the speciality protein powders promoted towards vegans either. Just get the cheapest vegan soy protein powder.
I have two or three already. I'm actually aiming for lower-carb, higher-protein foods. You advice is generally good, and I know what foods have protein in, I'm just trying to cut back my flab and maintain what muscle I have, so low-carb, high-protein foods are ideal.

Also, I like proteinous foods and like cooking.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:19 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

My mostly vegan husband is always whining that he doesn't eat enough protein as an excuse to eat cheese sandwiches, so I'd interested in seeing your blog about high protein meals, for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:25 am 

Okay. I'll start actually writing down what I make and taking pictures, and when I've got the time and inclination I'll get them online. Cool.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:18 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I have some low and lower carb high protein recipes on my blog and try to post new ones regularly: http://vegetus.nl/tag/koolhydraatarm/

It's all in Dutch, but google translate should help. You can always ask if something is unclear. I want to do an English blog too, but right now I don't have time for translating my recipes.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:33 am 

Thanks Cornelie! I speak German so I can kind of make my way through Dutch recipes without too much trouble. I also used to translate recipes from languages I can't speak for fun (don't ask), so if I translate any for my own benefit, I'll send them your way.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:54 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Thanks Gulliver! I hope you enjoy the recipes. Not many people apart from myself have tried making them, so if you have any feedback on the taste/texture etc. that would be very helpful too.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:06 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I like the idea of doing a high protein vegan blog! I was thinking of starting a blog anyways. I'm not sure what the definition of "high" is but I aim for 20% calories from protein, going over that is aight, I try not to get less than 15%. If I could figure out how to upload pictures from my phone it might be do-able.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:57 pm 

Well, I've started. I think >20g of protein in a serving is high enough to be classed as a non-ignorable amount of protein. I'm using tags to indicate the amount in each serving. 20g of protein per 300 calories is my mental "it can count as a good source of protein" line. Assuming one ate 2500 Calories a day, that is an easy 170g of protein.

My miso-marinated tofu that I just made (*ahem* and blogged) was so good I'm having a bit of a food coma.

OHANDALSO if anyone wants to co-blog with me and has a few recipes they want to go on it and is okay using the metric system (or converting it) because American measurements bake my noodle, then I'd be more than happy to guest post or whatevs.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:14 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Cool! I really like that you include the nutritional value of each recipe. I should really do that on my blog too. Laziness...

The carb counts, do they include fiber or are they 'net' carbs without the fiber? Would you consider listing the amount of fiber in the recipes?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:01 am 

Cornelie wrote:
Cool! I really like that you include the nutritional value of each recipe. I should really do that on my blog too. Laziness...

The carb counts, do they include fiber or are they 'net' carbs without the fiber? Would you consider listing the amount of fiber in the recipes?
Yeah, I like that too : D

They're just off Myfitnesspal, which I don't think is 100% accurate and lacking in information about some things and there are some "near enough" conversions. For example, my gluten powder has a higher protein content than the one listed). Comparing the label on my baked beans to the information on the site... they are total carbs so yes I will include fibre.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:29 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Efcliz wrote:
My mostly vegan husband is always whining that he doesn't eat enough protein as an excuse to eat cheese sandwiches, so I'd interested in seeing your blog about high protein meals, for sure.

It does sound like he is making excuses, because cheese is not a great source of protein. If he needs more calories and protein, he might be better off making a vegan protein shake with a spoonful of peanut butter added.

bird noises | book of faces

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:44 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Robin Robertson's Carb Conscious Vegetarian is a high protein vegan cookbook. Most of the recipes are low in calories as well, and don't look very filling, but I haven't made anything from it.

Also high protein, but not vegan is The New Glucose Revolution Low GI Vegetarian Cookbook. I've been wanting to check that one out.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:46 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Not a high protein cookbook, but maybe a cool breakfast idea!

Some crazy low carbers make 'oatmeal' from tvp. I'm going to give this a try tomorrow, since I really like protein for breakfast, but usually can't stomach savory stuff early in the morning.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:31 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I made the tvp hot cereal this morning. 1/3 cup tvp, 2/3 cup unsweetened soy milk, a good sprinkling of cinnamon and some sweetener, cooked on low heat for 15 minutes. It was actually quite tasty and VERY filling. This has a good chance of being my new favorite breakfast for a while. I'm going to cook up a big batch and keep it in the fridge.

You can definitely taste that it's tvp not oats, but tvp and sweet flavorings go together much better than you might expect. This would be really good with some raisins or apples, but even without it's surprisingly good.