| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2357 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 95  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Playground randomness thread
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:25 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

kdub wrote:
Will fell asleep next to me on the couch, so I've been stuck here for two hours because I don't want to move lest I awaken him!

Grey generally only naps while I am next to him. If I didn't have my iPad I would have lost all sanity. He is getting better about sleeping alone but for the longest time if I got up when he was sleeping he would wake within five minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:56 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Went to the beach with Tofulish & Leela, Jenna & family, and a couple other parent/baby units. Leela taught Malka how to eat sand - already a bad influence :). When we got home we took a really good bath and I thought I had gotten all of the sand out from every crevice on Malka's body. So yesterday we were in the park and Malka was pooping with a particularly strained look on her face and let out a pretty serious yelp mid-poop. I changed her diaper and noticed all this sand in her diaper and couldn't believe I had missed so much in the bath. Last night I woke up in the middle of the night and realized that she had pooped sand. Ouch, kid! I wish she understood cause and effect well enough to know that eating sand is bad news!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:52 pm 
Semen Strong

Ariann wrote:
Went to the beach with Tofulish & Leela, Jenna & family, and a couple other parent/baby units. Leela taught Malka how to eat sand - already a bad influence :). When we got home we took a really good bath and I thought I had gotten all of the sand out from every crevice on Malka's body. So yesterday we were in the park and Malka was pooping with a particularly strained look on her face and let out a pretty serious yelp mid-poop. I changed her diaper and noticed all this sand in her diaper and couldn't believe I had missed so much in the bath. Last night I woke up in the middle of the night and realized that she had pooped sand. Ouch, kid! I wish she understood cause and effect well enough to know that eating sand is bad news!

Holy shiitake! I can't believe that! Leela has had no ill effects from eating sand, except that her poos have been slightly firmer. I wonder if she is making me a glass sculpture with her insides?

Also, OMG it is so nice hanging out with you, Mr A and Malka. I am totally missing you now that you are on vacation and planning fun stuff for when you return. //not creepy at all//

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:05 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Today, while dining at a local in-the-grocery-store cafe after music group, this lady came up to me as she was leaving and commented on how wonderful Freya was (is) and asked about her, doting on how sociable she'd been and how "clever" she was at talking with others and eating her big people food. Yay! I'm trying to hold on to this memory as she awakens yet again and yells at me for boobies, which she only wants to nuzzle on for like 90 seconds, all the while wondering if I"m insane for trying to encourage her to *not* take boobs but comfort herself to sleep. Whew.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:05 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Ariann wrote:

Ha ha ha ha ha. Well done Malka. That reminds me of went I went on holiday with my friend's family and their dog. The dog loved sand and became very excited when we kicked sprays of sand into the air for her to jump around in. In the evening, the dog left most of her food, which was unusual. The next day we discovered why the dog had not been hungry. She tried to poo and a pile of sand came out.

I love the fact that you thought you must have missed that much sand in the bath. I suppose sand can be pretty sneaky, but usually in tiny quantities.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:23 am 
Not NOT A Furry

It's Henry's first day of school! I've been stressed all weekend about forgetting to bring something (even though I work in the classroom 2 doors down). We should be leaving right now, but he woke up at 4:40 and just fell back asleep around 7, and I know putting him in the carseat will wake him up. Luckily it's only a 3 minute drive.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:33 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Good luck, bap!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:05 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Yes, good luck bap!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:31 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

yay freya on being social! my dude has entered the world of stranger danger. I hate it. he does really well once he warms up to people though. A lady came up to him while he was sitting in the cart at the store and started to talk to him and he burst into tears. He is starting to get really cryish. He cries at everything now. I am assuming it is a phase but part of me wonders if he is just in the habbit of it now. Anyone else deal with this? He is 8 months.

good luck bap and henry! He will be fine, esp with you close by!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:34 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

tank wrote:
yay freya on being social! my dude has entered the world of stranger danger. I hate it. he does really well once he warms up to people though. A lady came up to him while he was sitting in the cart at the store and started to talk to him and he burst into tears. He is starting to get really cryish. He cries at everything now. I am assuming it is a phase but part of me wonders if he is just in the habbit of it now. Anyone else deal with this? He is 8 months.

good luck bap and henry! He will be fine, esp with you close by!

Grey had a lot of stranger anxiety around 7-8 months. He only wanted me and it was really, really hard. It went quickly and now he is much better at letting people hold him one he sees that they aren't strangers to us. He is very social and liked people to talk to him and fawn over him, but yeah, that period of anxiety can be rough.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:26 pm 

F's hit the stranger danger phase about 4 weeks ago maybe, but if she has me as an anchor, she does pretty well. She actually had this strange phase about 4 months with lots of tears at anyone saying boo to her, so I thought we'd been through it already. One of my friends held her last week for like 30 seconds while I got the buggy ready and F was hysterical. Today on the bus though, she was reaching out and touching strangers and talking to someone and staring, head sideways at this man who was sleeping on the train. Funny as anything.

Hoping that she does well on vacation with grandparents, aunts, uncle, sister's boyfriend, old friends, 2 dogs, several cats, and a partridge in a pear tree.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:52 pm 
And you never will.

I guess my kid is a freak. He's almost two and he never hit the stranger danger phase. In fact I have to contain him sometimes to prevent him from molesting complete strangers everywhere we go, and it's always been like that. He says 'hi' and 'bye' to EVERYONE, thinks all babies want him RIGHT IN THEIR FACE, all strangers are potential best friends and are welcome to hold him, lead him anywhere etc. I have to keep my eyes on him at all times when we're out somewhere like Starbucks, because if someone tried to snatch him he would gladly help them out.

refinnej wrote:
She actually had this strange phase about 4 months with lots of tears at anyone saying boo to her

Aw, bless her heart. That reminds me of another crazy thing about my kid. Since the day he was born, he has LOVED to be scared. Like, for real startled, make him jump kind of scared. He just laughs and laughs.

My child is weird.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:00 pm 

Heh. Weird is good. I call Freya "my little weirdo" many many days (like when she laughs hysterically while I brush my teeth, or insists on being upside down while we ride the bus).

She does *love* other babies/kids. She was attacking the poor little girl at the consulate today, trying to pull her arm to get her close enough to kiss her. She is obsessed with kisses.

How boring our lives used to be. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:03 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

We never had a distinct "stranger danger" phase, but Lydia has been moderately shy from the start. She usually hides behind my legs when strangers try to say hi to her, but she does warm up to people fairly quickly.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:20 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

bap wrote:
It's Henry's first day of school! I've been stressed all weekend about forgetting to bring something (even though I work in the classroom 2 doors down). We should be leaving right now, but he woke up at 4:40 and just fell back asleep around 7, and I know putting him in the carseat will wake him up. Luckily it's only a 3 minute drive.

Good luck!

My wee blog:

http://www.mommethree.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:44 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Two out of the last three nights, I've had to get up in the middle of the night and feed Walter a snack. Usually he wakes up around 1:30, I nurse him, put him back in his crib, he makes his displeasure known for a few minutes and then goes back to sleep. The other night I nursed him, put him down, and he cried and yelled at me for an hour while my husband tried singing and rocking, I changed his diaper, got him a drink of water, etc. He was exhausted and kept nodding off, but he'd wake up after 30 seconds and cry again. Out of desperation I brought him downstairs, put him in his highchair, and gave him a glass of milk and a hot dog bun with peanut butter. He wolfed it down and when I put him back in his crib, he was out in 30 seconds. So he was definitely hungry. The next night I gave him yogurt and animal cookies immediately before bed and he didn't need to eat in the night. Last night, nothing after dinner, and he woke up at 11 and could not go back to sleep until I fed him toast with earth balance.

Has anyone else had to feed their kid food in the night? Maybe he's having a growth spurt? Am I facilitating a really bad habit here? I don't doubt that he's hungry, and I can't make him wait 7 hours for breakfast (no one would sleep!). I've tried not to do much talking when we go downstairs, and to make the food boring so that he doesn't start doing this for entertainment. I guess I need to stuff him with snacks right before bed.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:02 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I remember Silas having a few growth spurts where he was hungry for actual food (vs breastmilk) during the night. Each time only lasted a few nights in a row and stopped. Seems like it's okay to me?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:15 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

jogirl wrote:
refinnej wrote:
From TSA's page about traveling with children:

"Passengers cannot leave babies in an infant carrier and attempt to put it through the X-ray machine. Babies should be carried through a walk through metal detector by a parent or guardian."

Um, yeah, thanks for letting me know. I totally would've sent my child through with my shoes and laptop otherwise.

Geez o Pete

The scary thing about this is that it sounds to me like they have that notice because at some point someone DID try and put their baby through the x-ray machine.

Remember how we thought this was crazy and why would anyone actually try this? Yeah: http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/10/world/mea ... ml?c=world

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:23 pm 
Semen Strong

Ugh I feel bad for the couple, just because they are now in a UAE jail. I can't see how that helps their baby.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:06 am 
Not NOT A Furry

H is doing great at daycare! It's hard to not check on him a bazillion times a day, but I get to see him on the playground, and his room is across from the bathroom so that gives me a chance to peek in. Both times I went in yesterday he was napping in his crib! I can count on one hand the number of naps he's taken in a crib at home during his five months of life. It's so funny how my views have changed, the lady that does music is coming today, and I've always been glad I miss it (I find her fairly annoying) because she always comes on days I go in later, but I'm really excited for Henry to go, and was ready to drop him off early so he didn't miss it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:56 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Today Izzy (4 years old) was invited to play at his old daycare (had a baby, so we had to pull him out of daycare, since I'm not working) for the rest of the week. Yay! He is so excited! And perfect timing, as I have to take Zephyr to the hospital for a renal ultrasound. It is hopefully just to check that all is peachy, as they noticed something during my pregnancy ultrasounds, but it seemed to be resolving itself at the time. Now I only have to transport one child via bus from my house to the hospital and back. Wheeew. Makes it lots easier. Also, I have a bit of time to myself for the next couple days, because when Zephyr's not eating, he is often sleeping. Perhaps I'll get some coffee and do some reading.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:33 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Bodhi, that is so awesome that the daycare is letting Zephyr come and play. I know my kids always loved going back to visit their daycares once they stopped going.

My wee blog:

http://www.mommethree.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:05 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

MomMeTrois wrote:
Bodhi, that is so awesome that the daycare is letting Zephyr come and play. I know my kids always loved going back to visit their daycares once they stopped going.

I know! The lady is sooo sweet, and she's got a couple of kids who just left, so she had extra space not being used anyway. So awesome for him to see the other kids again!

ETA: It also reminded us to bring over the new baby for a visit so she could fawn over him. She's been so excited to meet him!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:16 pm 
Semen Strong

It is sweet that you want me to bring Leela into NYC to celebrate your wedding at an afterparty (the original party was in Montreal and just family) with you. But I don't think a nine month old would have a great time at a loud bar at an event that goes from 8pm to 2 am. I think the only person who would hate it more than her, would be me.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:10 pm 

Yikes!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2357 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 95  Next