| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: when you are burnt out at work...
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:27 pm 
Hip Goiter

Tofulish wrote:
A six day work week sounds like it would exhaust even the most dedicated teacher, especially along with the new albeit awesome experience of parenting etc. It sounds like you don't have a ton of time just for yourself.

I swear by mental health days! Take a day and just do what you want. I'm taking one with a bunch of friends this Friday to go to Sprig & Vine and then have a bit of a hike. It can be as simple as going back to bed when D goes to school and then going out for a leisurely breakfast and meeting me for lunch somewhere :) And if you can't get a whole day, maybe plan something special - like a yoga class, massage or a pedicure that is a luxurious treat just for yourself. As far as I'm concerned massages make everything better.

Sending you good thoughts <3

You're coming to Philly??????????!!!!!!!

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:02 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I'm really burned out too. I used to like my job, and now I hate it. Everyday I do the BARE minimum. I have a tenative goal to quit by mid-January, but that's only if there is an opening in the vegan restaurant I used to work at. I'll make the same, I just won't have insurance.

I'm going to try this incentive thing you guys are talking about.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:13 pm 
We So Excited

I am feeling better today, which was good, because I had a public figure, wife and kid show up in my first class. They're considering my school. Fortunately my lesson didn't suck.
I am now out of the building taking a break. Yay for breaks.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:54 pm 
ol' garly cooch

Fee wrote:
I usually have to give myself a treat for going to work every day since I'm five and need incentive. It's usually a coffee from my favorite place. I spend a lot of time calculating how much I'm making every day and then thinking about what I would spend that on. The real answer is rent and bills, but I don't have to think about that.

Then I think about how bad my life sucks, but at least I have a job. Which I know isn't like the best thing, but I dread losing my current job and having to look for a new one. I hate uncertainty and trying really hard to impress people, and that's all job-searching is.

Oh, and I mostly just remind myself that this isn't forever. I'm not married to my job. One day I can leave it and never look back, even if that day isn't today.

Edited a can't to a can

this. gratitude lists are awfully schmaltzy but also helpful. sometimes i just need to see that i have bucket loads of goodness in black and white for me to believe it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:22 pm 
Saggy Butt

yep, totally about the little incentives and treats over here too. if i'm going through a patch like this with work and/or school, i try to go easy on myself. if i feel like laying on the couch all night eating scones, i can do it.

when i'm on breaks at work, or study breaks, i completely mentally check out of it. walking for a coffee, chatting on the phone, or just sitting and doing nothing for 15 minutes feels good. i'm about to go try a little (cheeeap) retail therapy right now.

just accepting that you're burnt out, not feeling it, and that that's ok for right now, is sometimes the easiest thing. often for me it feels freeing just to acknowledge that, and sometime,s soon after that will be the turning point where it starts to get easier and i get motivated again.