| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 316 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Urban Decay
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:17 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:31 pm
Posts: 1993
Location: detroit, mi
What an awesome victory for animal rights. And for keeping my face sexy.

_________________
I'm still buddhist & I still love cupcakes.
My crochet blog! http://threadbythreadzen.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Urban Decay
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:31 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:55 pm
Posts: 209
Location: Georgia
Hooray! I've never been so stoked on makeup news before.


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Urban Decay
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:56 pm 
Baking In The Flavor
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon May 28, 2012 8:18 pm
Posts: 171
Location: philly/nj
Wow, thats so amazing! They actually listened! :D +points toward faith in humanity


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Urban Decay
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:19 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:44 pm
Posts: 5860
Location: Modesto, CA
Thank you UD!

_________________
The Stay At Home Girlfriend: A zine that focuses on
vegan recipes, cat love and living with OCD.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/missmuffcake


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Urban Decay
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:30 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:11 pm
Posts: 1454
This is great news. No searching for a new mascara.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Urban Decay
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:05 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 2020
Location: milwaukee
missmuffcake wrote:
Good vegan razor (new to the market) Schick Xtreme 3 Eco...I have tried a bunch of vegan razors and this is really nice!
http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod. ... ram=389917


i went to three stores today (target, walgreens, CVS) looking for these and came up totally empty. sad face. i was hoping to find them in the wild so i didn't have to buy a million of them online (to get free shipping). has anyone seen these anywhere in person?

_________________
i'm not around much, but that doesn't mean i don't love you.


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Urban Decay
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:16 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:44 pm
Posts: 5860
Location: Modesto, CA
bluedawg wrote:

i went to three stores today (target, walgreens, CVS) looking for these and came up totally empty. sad face. i was hoping to find them in the wild so i didn't have to buy a million of them online (to get free shipping). has anyone seen these anywhere in person?



I got them at Ulta! The other stores did not have them here either.

_________________
The Stay At Home Girlfriend: A zine that focuses on
vegan recipes, cat love and living with OCD.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/missmuffcake


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Urban Decay
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:22 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 2020
Location: milwaukee
ooh, thanks! i will give that a try when i get near one. :)

_________________
i'm not around much, but that doesn't mean i don't love you.


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Urban Decay
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:28 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:21 pm
Posts: 9566
Location: Illinoize
Since this is the ppk, I can get away with complaining about this: people who are saying you still won't buy from UD: why?! WE WON. Our dollars have spoken! And yes, it is about money! You need money to run a company! Clearly, UD lost enough business to make them realize that people care about their stupid company ethics. Why would you want to continue to narrow who it's safe to buy from? Is it because you enjoy trying to be the veganest vegan who has ever veganed?

_________________
"The Tree is His Penis"

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Urban Decay
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:35 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:44 pm
Posts: 5860
Location: Modesto, CA
I am tired of these antics as well. The animal rights community has bigger blocks of tofu to press...

_________________
The Stay At Home Girlfriend: A zine that focuses on
vegan recipes, cat love and living with OCD.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/missmuffcake


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Urban Decay
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:19 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:50 pm
Posts: 2855
Location: The Bene
mrsbadmouth wrote:
Since this is the ppk, I can get away with complaining about this: people who are saying you still won't buy from UD: why?! WE WON. Our dollars have spoken! And yes, it is about money! You need money to run a company! Clearly, UD lost enough business to make them realize that people care about their stupid company ethics. Why would you want to continue to narrow who it's safe to buy from? Is it because you enjoy trying to be the veganest vegan who has ever veganed?


Seriously? Are people saying this? (I believe you mbm, I'm just surprised! And curious where these uber-vegany vegans are hanging out.) What's the point of continuing a boycott when the reason to boycott a company has been reversed? Like you said, we won! They listened! Isn't that what we wanted?

_________________
Ain't no guarantees in life, and nothing that comes out of my vagina can change that. - Erika Soyf*cker

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Urban Decay
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:15 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:28 pm
Posts: 725
Location: Funky Town
As my Grandmother always says "Some people are too big for their britches."

_________________
~Sweet songs the youth, the wise, the meeting of all wisdom. To believe in the good in man.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Urban Decay
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:14 am 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:37 pm
Posts: 3229
Location: idontevenknowanymore
lepelaar wrote:
mrsbadmouth wrote:
Since this is the ppk, I can get away with complaining about this: people who are saying you still won't buy from UD: why?! WE WON. Our dollars have spoken! And yes, it is about money! You need money to run a company! Clearly, UD lost enough business to make them realize that people care about their stupid company ethics. Why would you want to continue to narrow who it's safe to buy from? Is it because you enjoy trying to be the veganest vegan who has ever veganed?


Seriously? Are people saying this? (I believe you mbm, I'm just surprised! And curious where these uber-vegany vegans are hanging out.) What's the point of continuing a boycott when the reason to boycott a company has been reversed? Like you said, we won! They listened! Isn't that what we wanted?

I don't know what they're buying instead, so I can't speak to that.. but I suppose the point these other shoppers are making is that they'd rather buy from a company with sincere and clear cut morals, rather than a company that varies and stretches its morals when the bottom starts to look bleak

_________________
reap/sow, risk/reward


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Urban Decay
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:15 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:21 pm
Posts: 9566
Location: Illinoize
Because indie companies only blah blah parabens blah blah so on so forth.

_________________
"The Tree is His Penis"

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Urban Decay
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:42 am 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:37 pm
Posts: 3229
Location: idontevenknowanymore
no no, I think it's more an issue of integrity

_________________
reap/sow, risk/reward


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Urban Decay
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:57 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:21 pm
Posts: 9566
Location: Illinoize
Integrity is part of the 'indie companies only' thing, because...indie companies don't make their decisions based on money? I don't know, i've said many times that it's only makeup, but some people are holding makeup companies up to a very high standard and I doubt they are holding their clothing and food suppliers to the same standards. Like if you buy Silk, or Morningstar, you're putting money in the pocket of a big, non-vegan company. And I buy both of those things, even though I could do without any of their products. There are so much bigger fish to fry, even though that's totes not vegan.

_________________
"The Tree is His Penis"

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Urban Decay
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:30 am 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:37 pm
Posts: 3229
Location: idontevenknowanymore
iuno, I don't think it applies to only indie companies. there's a crossover definitely, because indie companies (generally) need a smaller piece of the pie to survive, so can afford to bind to non-mainstream ethics/morals. there are larger companies with foundational morals that don't waiver though. but when a company admits to dismissing those morals, I think it's fair to question integrity. (though, an overreaction of raking someone over the coals/witch hunt/blah is never fun)

I think "There are so much bigger fish to fry" sums it up anyway :) let people vote with their dollar! maybe they'll vote and suddenly there'll be several new companies able to thrive and grow as a result of this. naive? yeah, probably. but there's always hope.. besides, is there anything inherently wrong with supporting an indie/alternative company?

_________________
reap/sow, risk/reward


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Urban Decay
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:43 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:21 pm
Posts: 9566
Location: Illinoize
Okay, this is what it's like:

UD: We are going to China, animal testing, bullshiitake bullshiitake bullshiitake!
Their customers: I'm not going to buy from you anymore! Please change your minds! Here's a petition! Many angry comments, not just from veg*ns!
UD profits: down faster than $20 prostitutue
UD: Okay...that was not such a good idea. We see that now. We won't do this because it's clearly bad for our company.
Most of their companies: VICTORY!
Some of their customers: We don't care, we still aren't buying from you or recommending you or supporting you in any way.
UD (presumably): Wait, then why did we bother?!

Also, I know that UD isn't indie, but they aren't Revlon either. They are still small enough that our influence can and clearly DOES matter. And they are widely available. Can you (hypothetical you) imagine your aunt giving you some UD for Christmas and telling you how she made sure to buy only the things with the paw prints, and explaining to her that you can't use it because they flopped on their morals and then flopped back? I know their shiitake is expensive, but you can go to a store, swatch things, easily see what's vegan, and make a decision. You can't do that with indie companies, and your average person who doesn't care a ton about makeup isn't going to hunt down tiny companies on etsy and take a gamble.

I feel like i'm rambling at this point and I know we're both kind of playing devil's advocate.

_________________
"The Tree is His Penis"

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Urban Decay
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:12 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 2020
Location: milwaukee
mrsbadmouth wrote:
imagine your aunt giving you some UD for Christmas and telling you how she made sure to buy only the things with the paw prints,


hee/aww! i love this sweet aunt.

_________________
i'm not around much, but that doesn't mean i don't love you.


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Urban Decay
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:55 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:53 pm
Posts: 1940
Location: Joliet, IL
I know my non-vegan friends who followed my UD breakdown on facebook were really excited when I posted about them switching back. I know a lot of omnis who don't follow this stuff closely, but who still prefer to wear CF brands, and ask me if x or y brand is safe. I'm grateful for any brand I can add to the list that they can find easily, and have heard of before, because if they buy that they aren't buying from a testing company. I stopped buying makeup that was tested on animals years before I even went vegetarian, but I don't know if I would have if I hadn't had easily accessible options and had to order everything online. That's the main reason I'm so upset about Revlon, because that was a CF brand that you could find in nearly every drugstore in the country, with wider distribution than Wet n Wild, Physician's Formula, and e.l.f.

And no lie, if we had definitive proof tomorrow that L'Oreal and their sub brands had all completely stopped testing on animals anywhere in the world, and were stopped forever, I'd go out and throw some money their way, because I believe in rewarding policies I agree with, even if they come about for reasons that are less than perfect.

_________________
In addition to BB creams, we now have CC creams and even DD creams. Where's my ZZ cream? I need help growing a sweet beard.-amandabear

twitter @jessilikewhoa


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Urban Decay
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:18 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:24 pm
Posts: 5311
Location: BRLA
mrsbadmouth wrote:
Okay, this is what it's like:

UD: We are going to China, animal testing, bullshiitake bullshiitake bullshiitake!
Their customers: I'm not going to buy from you anymore! Please change your minds! Here's a petition! Many angry comments, not just from veg*ns!
UD profits: down faster than $20 prostitutue
UD: Okay...that was not such a good idea. We see that now. We won't do this because it's clearly bad for our company.
Most of their companies: VICTORY!
Some of their customers: We don't care, we still aren't buying from you or recommending you or supporting you in any way.
UD (presumably): Wait, then why did we bother?!

Also, I know that UD isn't indie, but they aren't Revlon either. They are still small enough that our influence can and clearly DOES matter. And they are widely available. Can you (hypothetical you) imagine your aunt giving you some UD for Christmas and telling you how she made sure to buy only the things with the paw prints, and explaining to her that you can't use it because they flopped on their morals and then flopped back? I know their shiitake is expensive, but you can go to a store, swatch things, easily see what's vegan, and make a decision. You can't do that with indie companies, and your average person who doesn't care a ton about makeup isn't going to hunt down tiny companies on etsy and take a gamble.

I feel like i'm rambling at this point and I know we're both kind of playing devil's advocate.


I don't think they were really UD customers to begin with and UD will probably not notice much of a change in their sales. It's easy to say fork the company you were never buying from in the first place.

_________________
The thing about this thread is, it's dumb. - IJDI


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Urban Decay
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:43 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:44 pm
Posts: 5860
Location: Modesto, CA
joshua wrote:
besides, is there anything inherently wrong with supporting an indie/alternative company?



Lime Crime....or Glittersniffer...they come to mind.

_________________
The Stay At Home Girlfriend: A zine that focuses on
vegan recipes, cat love and living with OCD.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/missmuffcake


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Urban Decay
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:07 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:53 pm
Posts: 1940
Location: Joliet, IL
Every time I see that Lime Crime is still in business, and that people are still supporting her, my head explodes.

_________________
In addition to BB creams, we now have CC creams and even DD creams. Where's my ZZ cream? I need help growing a sweet beard.-amandabear

twitter @jessilikewhoa


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Urban Decay
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:18 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:37 pm
Posts: 3229
Location: idontevenknowanymore
missmuffcake wrote:
joshua wrote:
besides, is there anything inherently wrong with supporting an indie/alternative company?

Lime Crime....or Glittersniffer...they come to mind.

haha, holy hell. I just looked at the website. that is...amazing. I wish to both shop from and boycott them at the same time

_________________
reap/sow, risk/reward


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Urban Decay
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:24 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 2020
Location: milwaukee
is she the one who was selling stuff that isn't supposed to go near your eyeballs, or something?

_________________
i'm not around much, but that doesn't mean i don't love you.


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 316 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer