| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1300 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 52  Next
 Post subject: Re: cloth diapering
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:49 pm 
Semen Strong

Ditto to everything tank said.

We've never had a blow-out or leaks from either our Thirsties or our Econobuns, which were 2 for $9.99 (so cheap!). Or any of our CDs really, but then Leela has chubby wubby thighs so there is almost zero gap. You could try a little Bac out for the odor, but ours don't need it so far.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:44 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Well, we've got skinny legs and we don't have leeks either. We use thirsties and swaddlebees. Sometimes poop gets on the cover, but pee an poop never escape onto other things. Watch this comment jinx me on our five hour flight tomorrow!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:51 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Thanks for the thoughts on Thirsties...I may try a few when we're on holiday then. Also, the odor might be that we use a super tight sealing bucket...I hadn't thought of that!

Freya definitely doesn't have skinny legs. I could try rubber pants, for instance, but I worried about how they'd rub her little pudgy thighs. She has her dad's sensitive skin too....pressure marks on her all the time!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:50 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Another Thirsties vote. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:16 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Butternut wrote:
We use thirsties and swaddlebees. Sometimes poop gets on the cover, but pee an poop never escape onto other things.

Same! We've used mostly thirsties since the day Scarlett was born and they've worked great! And we call them "poopy gussets" too!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:43 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Anyone with a chunky toddler want an imse vimse soft snap xl cover? I've come to realize my skinny daughter will never fit it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:56 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

We have been using surgical laps for our wipes and I love them. They wash well and are nice and big. I never have to use more than one, even for tons of poop. Thought I would let you know, because they are awesome. I am so surprised at how well they wash too. If you know someone who works in an OR, you can get them for free. If they are opened but not used, they will be thrown away, because then they aren't sterile anymore. They are super soft too. We had GMD wipes and we don't even use them anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:54 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

We're switching to cloth despite SO's protests. I know that he'll only be able to handle it if we use AIOs since I'm basically forcing this on him. It seems like folks mostly prefer using pre-folds and fitteds. Does anyone use AIOs exclusively? If so, which brand(s) do you use?

My wee blog:

http://www.mommethree.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:42 pm 
Semen Strong

BGs are really user friendly and I like them a lot.

That said, my husband was firmly anti-cloth when we started, and I just used them and then he saw it was no big deal and he can snappi with the best of them these days. I think people just think it has to be tougher than it is.

I love CDing - so much fluffy softness!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:45 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

MomMeTrois wrote:
We're switching to cloth despite SO's protests. I know that he'll only be able to handle it if we use AIOs since I'm basically forcing this on him. It seems like folks mostly prefer using pre-folds and fitteds. Does anyone use AIOs exclusively? If so, which brand(s) do you use?

Are pocket diapers considered AIOs? We use Fuzzibunz and Sunbaby exclusively, because they seem to be most like disposables. Like 'em, love 'em.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:09 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

We use BG Elementals. Super easy, and we love them. Day care uses them without a problem, and my husband does as well. The only (minor) drawback for us is that they take a fairly long time to dry after washing. Oh, and they are really trim, which I'm finding very nice with my gigantic, roly poly baby.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:51 pm 

How big is the baby you are going to cloth diaper? I ask because if I was starting cloth diapering from nothing with a larger/older kid, there is no way I'd use a one-size diaper that supposedly fits all because it might get a bit small pretty early.

I use AIOs for babysitters (prefolds most of the time), and I have a small stash of a large-ish size of a sized AIO that didn't fit my daughter until she was around 9-10 months old. I'm confident they will fit her until she's potty trained, and I'm not sure I could say that if she was in many one-size-fits-all AIOs. (The brand is SposoEasy, which was discontinued, and while I've been very happy with them, I'm not sure I love them enough to recommend searching them out.)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:05 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

helbury - She is 7.5 months and about 16 lbs. She's very short for her size though (like under 10th percentile for height) but very... um... rotund. She is on the smaller side of the growth chart and even though she is steadily gaining weight, she's slowed down and really isn't that big. She wears 3-6 and 6-9 month clothes though the 6-9 can be too long. Some of the diapers I'm considering are the one-size and then the others are mediums which, according to the manufacturer should go up to 22 pounds?

As a sidenote, I saw some gently used FuzziBuns and BumGenius 4.0 on Craig's List and was considering getting them. I think it's the FB that come with inserts in this deal. I am a little leary on buying used diapes, but they're really expensive to buy brand new and we're almost out of sposies and I'd hate to spend another $40 on a box. There asking $165 for 15 diapers (8 FB and 7 BG 4.0) but I think it's probably negotiable since it's Craig's List. I saw pics and they appear in good condition.

This whole CD thing seems complicated but I know once I actually figure it all out it won't be (for me anyway). SO's reluctance is he doesn't want to scrape poop off "because it's gross."

My wee blog:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:44 pm 
Semen Strong

I bought used diaps and had no issues. Personally I am not a fan of FBs because I find that for the chubby babies, they get outgrown fast and I prefer our BGs.

I wouldn't expect people to be very negotiable on CL. There is a thriving market for used diaps and I haven't had much luck haggling.

The poop scraping isn't bad at all. I thought it was going to be SO BAD after reading people's accounts of it, but I just keep a dollar store spatula and get off what I can and the rest is easy. She just has one poo a day anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:08 am 
Baking In The Flavor

Tofulish wrote:
I bought used diaps and had no issues. Personally I am not a fan of FBs because I find that for the chubby babies, they get outgrown fast and I prefer our BGs.

I wouldn't expect people to be very negotiable on CL. There is a thriving market for used diaps and I haven't had much luck haggling.

The poop scraping isn't bad at all. I thought it was going to be SO BAD after reading people's accounts of it, but I just keep a dollar store spatula and get off what I can and the rest is easy. She just has one poo a day anyway.

Good to know about used. I was hoping that maybe they would be willing to negotiate some, but I'm willing to pay that price since it still seems like a good deal.

My wee blog:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:50 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Tofulish wrote:
That said, my husband was firmly anti-cloth when we started, and I just used them and then he saw it was no big deal and he can snappi with the best of them these days. I think people just think it has to be tougher than it is.

Exactly this. My partner was freaked out by cloth and told me I better buy disposables so he can use those when it is his turn to diaper. Now even when we have had disposables in the house (because of a yeast rash) he didn't want to use them. We have pockets and prefolds. He reaches for the pockets first but uses the prefolds and has no problems with them. He even washes diaps. He will not however stuff them. He says his hands are too big... and he doesn't know which insert goes in which.... sure.

I agree with what tofulish said about fuzzibunz not lasting long. We only hae one because I wanted to try them. We do however have the perfect size ones and wolverine is over 20 lbs now and has been wearing the MED for a few months and is still on the tightest snaps. We got the perfect sized mediums used for about $5 each. I know the one size goes for more used. Probably not lower than $10. But that is just the prices around here.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:54 am 
Baking In The Flavor

tank wrote:
Tofulish wrote:

Exactly this. My partner was freaked out by cloth and told me I better buy disposables so he can use those when it is his turn to diaper. Now even when we have had disposables in the house (because of a yeast rash) he didn't want to use them. We have pockets and prefolds. He reaches for the pockets first but uses the prefolds and has no problems with them. He even washes diaps. He will not however stuff them. He says his hands are too big... and he doesn't know which insert goes in which.... sure.

I agree with what tofulish said about fuzzibunz not lasting long. We only hae one because I wanted to try them. We do however have the perfect size ones and wolverine is over 20 lbs now and has been wearing the MED for a few months and is still on the tightest snaps. We got the perfect sized mediums used for about $5 each. I know the one size goes for more used. Probably not lower than $10. But that is just the prices around here.

So, I think I'm getting a mix of diapers from some people locally. I am going with the BG one-size AIO's, some Kissaluvs with covers, an Itty Bitty, and possibly some Kawaiis. I figure that will give me enough diapers to at least start with to show SO it's doable while I research a little more. I did get one party to go down on the price a little, so that's nice.

Has anyone tried GroVia?

My wee blog:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:31 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Oooooooo...a cloth diaper thread. Hi, I am wrapping up cloth diapering my second child. Well I am hoping she is going to potty train in the next 6 months. I started with my first because of blowouts and we had a lot of luck with Bumgenius pocket diapers and aios, especially with my girls super skinny legs. Anyways, I love talking diapers :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:25 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I didn't like GroVia. I found that they ran very small to size, and were low-cut to the point that they didn't catch everything. I had to double check to make sure we didn't get them in newborn size! I wished I liked them better, because they seem to always be on sale, but they didn't work for our chubby tall bub. (they might be good for a skinny shorter baby though!)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:29 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

So we finally used up our disposables, and now we're doing cloth. We're using Thirsties, which have been pretty good. We always reuse the covers when he pees - we let that cover dry out and switch it for another one, then rotate at the next diaper change. But the inside of the cover always gets poop on it, so we wash those every time. Just wondering, do you normally have to wash the cover every time baby poops?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:36 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Bodhi, unless poop got on the white fabric-y part of the gussets I would wipe it off and reuse it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:15 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

mandycoot wrote:
Bodhi, unless poop got on the white fabric-y part of the gussets I would wipe it off and reuse it.

Awesome, thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:59 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

We were getting poop on the covers every time until we started using Snappis. Now poop rarely escapes the prefolds and we could get away with using the same cover all day! It's made a huge difference.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:16 pm 
Semen Strong

Ditto. We almost never get poop on the covers with a snappi. Those things give you such a great fit.

Its been 9 months and I don't want to curse us, but we have never had a poopsplosion. When I was preg my friends (who do disposables) were saying that the minute I had a poopsplosion (ie poo goes everywhere including on your sheets and baby's clothes etc) I'd be so quick to stop CDing. But I feel like prefolds are just amazing at keeping that shiitake in place.

I love cloth diapering so much. SO MUCH. We started the minute we got home from the hospital, and I was so worried it would be hard, but it has been great.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:18 pm 

You guys are lucky. We use snappis, and get poopsplosions all over the cover all the damned time. I have to have a lot of covers. (Disposables leak way more though.)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1300 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 52  Next