| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Awesome Toys Thread
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:57 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I know we have a cute baby clothing thread, but i don't think there is an awesome toys thread. Kai has way too many toys, so maybe if I just post them here I can enjoy without buying. Here goes:

A tree house and gnome family, with tree blocks! http://www.ecotoytown.com/wooden/treeblocks.html

Post subject: Re: The Awesome Toys Thread
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:03 am 

Btw, I saw that while looking for eco-friendly bubbles. Maybe made out of recycled plastic or something. So far, no luck. Has anyone seen something like that? (obv. I can make the bubble liquid myself, but I need something to blow them...)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:07 am 
Semen Strong

This is great! I don't really know what to get Leela so I'll be watching this closely!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:19 am 

Wow this is so cool, I've never seen anything like it. I wonder if it really works that well to make sand cookies?

http://www.growingtreetoys.com/product/ ... cookie-set

I wonder if it would work just to use regular plastic cookie cutters? I'm going to try that next time we go to the beach!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:12 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I have a metal bubble wand, so maybe you could just make your own out of a coat hangar or other wire?

Right now Walter's favorite toys are my spatulas and ladles and colanders. I have several serving spoons in the back seat of my car that he plays with while we're driving. Also awesome: spice jars.

This morning I just bought some crayons and sidewalk chalk, and a cheap plastic beach bucket and shovel that are surely full of endocrin disrupting chemicals. It was hard not to buy all the cool wooden toys, but he already has so many. Later this week we are going to hit up a kids' consignment shop and see what kinds of toddler toys we can find.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:31 pm 

mittenmacher wrote:
Later this week we are going to hit up a kids' consignment shop and see what kinds of toddler toys we can find.

That's what we did this weekend. Kai wasn't walking last year, so he doesn't have any outside toys. This weekend was his first time playing in the backyard so I realized he could use something to play with out there. We got him a little tikes dump truck from the consignment shop, and a golf set he absolutely loves! It is very similar to this one:

It's great at the consgnment shop because they have all the toys out on the floor, so while I looked for clothes my husband just played with him and we bought what he really liked. Plus since it is used I don't feel too bad about it being plastic. He played with the golf set almost the whole time I was there. Since we've gotten home he's been dragging the wheeled "bag" around everywhere. Too cute!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:39 am 
Nooch of Earl

That gnome house thing looks like the most awesome cat tree ever.

Land of Nod used to sell this cute wooden grill that I thought was the coolest:

Ooh and Melissa & Doug has a lemonade stand / store playset. It makes me think about how much fun it would be to help Lady V set up a lemonade stand or even garden w/ her and have a little farmer's market in the yard ;)

And don't even get me started on felt food, but....
Image (pattern on etsy)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:51 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I am having a BLAST building train tracks for the boy, but that's another thread.

One thing he's loved has been these things:

I like little music toys (for myself, heh) but I can hand him that there and he'll sit and play with it for as long as I let him. You do have to have a good tolerance for noise though...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:56 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

OMG! We so want one of those gnome tree houses to play with ourselves!!1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:58 am 

solipsistnation wrote:
I am having a BLAST building train tracks for the boy, but that's another thread.

One thing he's loved has been these things:

I like little music toys (for myself, heh) but I can hand him that there and he'll sit and play with it for as long as I let him. You do have to have a good tolerance for noise though...

That is so cool that the emperor plays with his korg! We downloaded several synth and drum machine apps for kai, but he is only mildly interested. I guess there goes my dream of him becoming a great techno musician haha! (although with as many unemployed great techno musicians I know, that's probably a good thing)

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:08 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Aubade wrote:

I wonder if it would work just to use regular plastic cookie cutters? I'm going to try that next time we go to the beach!

When I was a child (many moons ago) we took normal cookie cutters to the beach along with our buckets and spades - they worked fine!

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 5:39 pm 
Inflexitarian

outta my price range but: http://www.totsy.com/sales/anatex/subma ... table.html

Nice spin on activity table

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/GeekKnowledge

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:43 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

It's amazing how quickly their tastes change! Two and a half months later, Walter is really into babies. I actually just ordered him a Melissa and Doug baby because a girl at the playground had one and he would NOT STOP. "Babeee? Babeee! Babeee!!!!!" She let him carry it around and kiss it and pet it, he was so freaking cute. I suspect I may get some shiitake from my family for letting him play with a doll, but they can shove it. He also loves manly manly cars--grandpa in California let him play with hot wheels, and oh boy, are we going to have to get some of those. We have a few larger sprig cars that he's never really cared about but he has hot wheels LUST.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:03 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I LOVE those tree blocks. My brother had some and they were so much fun to build with.

My mom has bought my daughter several of the Playmobil 123 sets and Molly just *loves* those, especially the people. She calls them all "man". Even the women. She likes to sleep with the "man". And the giraffe.

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:23 pm 

mittenmacher wrote:
It's amazing how quickly their tastes change! Two and a half months later, Walter is really into babies. I actually just ordered him a Melissa and Doug baby because a girl at the playground had one and he would NOT STOP. "Babeee? Babeee! Babeee!!!!!" She let him carry it around and kiss it and pet it, he was so freaking cute. I suspect I may get some shiitake from my family for letting him play with a doll, but they can shove it. He also loves manly manly cars--grandpa in California let him play with hot wheels, and oh boy, are we going to have to get some of those. We have a few larger sprig cars that he's never really cared about but he has hot wheels LUST.

Kai has one baby doll and he loves to kiss it. Every so often he just starts saying baby! baby!, grabs it out of his toybox and kisses it a bunch of times. I tried to get him to pretend play with it, rocking it in my arms and saying, 'put baby to sleep in your rocking chair', but he wasn't into it. So then I started making baby crying sounds and he didn't like that at all! haha I was like, 'oh, so now you know how we feel!' ha.

Overall he is definitely getting more into his stuffed animals now. He got tons as gifts but never really liked them. But now he likes to hug his build-a-bear penguin, and cracks up when I make a goat run towards him and butt into him. He also really likes a Tinky-winky teletubbie I had from a long time ago. Calls that 'baby' too, and kisses it.

I haven't gotten any new toys lately because he is still doing new things with all he got for his 1st bday and xmas. He's still figuring out his 1st puzzles and the shape sorter. I think the next big toy phase will be 3 years because that's when all the choking hazard warnings are over.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:19 am 
Nooch of Earl

Shanti wrote:
outta my price range but: http://www.totsy.com/sales/anatex/subma ... table.html

Nice spin on activity table

I think I've seen this at one of my husband's coworkers' houses! (He's a submariner, so that's...not at all surprising.)

This is cute too, and much more affordable, if you have a kid into subs: http://www.amazon.com/KidKraft-Fun-Expl ... 77&sr=8-16

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:34 am 
And you never will.

Aubade wrote:
mittenmacher wrote:
It's amazing how quickly their tastes change! Two and a half months later, Walter is really into babies. I actually just ordered him a Melissa and Doug baby because a girl at the playground had one and he would NOT STOP. "Babeee? Babeee! Babeee!!!!!" She let him carry it around and kiss it and pet it, he was so freaking cute. I suspect I may get some shiitake from my family for letting him play with a doll, but they can shove it.

Kai has one baby doll and he loves to kiss it. Every so often he just starts saying baby! baby!, grabs it out of his toybox and kisses it a bunch of times. I tried to get him to pretend play with it, rocking it in my arms and saying, 'put baby to sleep in your rocking chair', but he wasn't into it. So then I started making baby crying sounds and he didn't like that at all! haha I was like, 'oh, so now you know how we feel!' ha.

poopiebaby LOVES his baby doll. He rocks it, breastfeeds it (lifts his shirt and everything!), kisses it, puts it on his shoulder and pats its back, pushes it around in its pushchair... he sometimes insists that I give the baby bites of food while I'm feeding him. It's pretty adorable.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:09 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I want to get Carlos this baby doll when he is old enough to play with dolls. And gosh darn it, he better love it, because if he doesn't I will be really disappointed. Look at how cute it is!

http://www.amazon.com/North-American-Be ... 466&sr=8-3

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:33 pm 
Semen Strong

I like the idea of babies of color having dolls and books that they can identify with. Maybe I should get the tan baby doll.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:33 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Could everyone post the age of their baby when they like the toys? I think it will help for future parents looking at this thread!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:07 am 
Baking In The Flavor

I don't feel like we have any particulary awesome toys (like those grocery/lemonade stands--so cute!). My girls are playing with the basics now: blocks, baby dolls (I hate the plastic ones, but that's mostly what we have and they seem to prefer them to the cloth dollies), and, obviously, all the measuring cups and spatulas they can sneak out of the kitchen.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:44 am 
Nooch of Earl

The other day I was at the nearby strip mall mover's delight trifecta (Costco, IKEA, and Lowe's IN ONE STRIP MALL close to my house!) and found some cute things at IKEA:

Felt tools - 12 mo and up

One of those bead things, but less expensive:

They also have a set of nesting cups (we have one, so didn't get those), an abacus.. I got a cute cloth book but it's a circus theme I later realized, so I won't post that here.

Does anyone have the Duktig mini kitchen? Vi's still a little young for it, but I'm starting to look into different toy kitchens. Seems like EVERYTHING on amazon has very mixed reviews.

ETA: right now Vi is just shy of 12mo.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:39 am 
Inflexitarian

Tofulish wrote:
I like the idea of babies of color having dolls and books that they can identify with. Maybe I should get the tan baby doll.

I thought I had posted this..even though the geekling is not African American, she loves this doll:
http://www.yellowlabeltoys.com/product_ ... cts_id=660

We got it for less than $5 on Black Friday. So soft and cuddly. She also likes their blanket doll. I feel comfortable giving her it to chew on, being organic. (It's also fair trade!)

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/GeekKnowledge

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:49 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

On topic of toys and books kids of color can identify with, this is one of the very few simple board books I've seen featuring people of color.

http://www.amazon.com/Can-Do-Too-Karen- ... board+book

Also there really needs to be more.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:59 am 

We have that book from the library right now and I have read it aloud approximately 12,000 times in two weeks. It's really cute! Inez loves the page where she has cake batter on her face.

Helen Oxenbury and Gyo Fujikawa are illustrator/authors who feature diverse babies in their books (and I love both their illustration styles).