| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 498 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: weddings are annoying, but...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:24 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Do you guys have any website suggestions for dresses? I haven't seen anything I like on Etsy. I'm in no rush, but I do like to look!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:54 am 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

Nebraskalaska wrote:
Thessaly wrote:
All these dresses are fantastic! Um, how early is too early to buy a dress? We don't have a date or a venue yet, but I saw a dress online that I really want and it's on sale.... buy? Don't buy? I don't want to be that crazy lady with a wedding dress she never wore!

I thought I was buying my dress too early and that I was going to feel like I missed out on the "shopping experience" (bullshiitake WIC code for making you spend more time in stores so you'll feel more pressured to buy a more expensive dress), but I realized not too long ago how freaking glad I was to not have to think about the stupid dress anymore. Also, if you want any alterations done it's better to buy early and save yourself rush fees.

Oh, I know I don't want to the shopping experience! I have no near-by female relatives and most of my closest female friends are online. I'd rather just do this from the comfort of my own home!

ETA: I pinned some dresses and stuff as I've been looking, might be some kind of ideas for stores/sellers in there http://pinterest.com/downtheadders/hell-s-belles/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:56 am 

Man, I totally can't find a dress I like. I'm in no rush, but it's bumming me out. I'm only looking online because I hate shopping.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:22 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

What style dress did you have in mind? Sometimes you can find cute cocktail dresses that can be made in white or ivory (that is assuming you want that color, if not, you have tons more options.) Another option is find a picture of something you like and take it to a seamstress. If you want something short, Modcloth has some cute ones right now that come in white.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:26 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

vijita wrote:
Man, I totally can't find a dress I like. I'm in no rush, but it's bumming me out. I'm only looking online because I hate shopping.

I found mine at Jacob. It's a knee length, flapper-style-with-gauzey-tiers shift dress in ivory. Perhaps broadening the search to include stuff like that would help?
Not the greatest picture, but whateverz https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hp ... _796_n.jpg
Sometimes wedding-y dresses pop up in weird places!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:38 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Vijita, you might go to your nearest fabric & craft store and take a look through their wedding dress or cocktail dress patterns and then work with someone on etsy to make it for you. You can also find lots of vintage dress patterns online. I found a super beautiful dress this way and was talking to a person on etsy who could sew it for me. I ended up getting really busy and on a whim bought a dress I found on clearance at a chain store, but I think it would have been cool the other way too. If you do that, you can also buy your own fabric and send it to the seamstress, so it's really customized to your tastes.

Nebraskalaska wrote:
I want to see pics!!!

Sure thing! Our friend is editing the pics he took. When he's done I'll put some up on my blog.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:15 pm 

Great suggestions, you guys! I might just find a fabric and pattern and get my little sister to do it. She has a fashion design degree and identical taste to me. I think I just don't know what I want, but I definitely want it to be green.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:23 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

vijita wrote:
Do you guys have any website suggestions for dresses? I haven't seen anything I like on Etsy. I'm in no rush, but I do like to look!

Go to theknot.com and do a dress search. They probably have every wedding designer possible listed as well as Bridesmaid dresses, special occasion, flower girl, and mother of the bride. You want something in a color, right? So I would look at all of these designers. http://wedding.theknot.com/bridesmaid-dresses.aspx

Even Jay Crew, Nordstroms, Anne Taylor, and Banana Republic have wedding dresses now. There are lots of options these days!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:45 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

There are a lot of cute dresses here. I'm not sure about the quality or fit of these dresses, as I've never shopped there. I think the sizing is probably similar to Modcloth's (and it looks like they carry some of the same non-bridal dresses). They're pretty inexpensive, though I do like couroupita's suggestion of finding a pattern you like...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:51 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I love every single dress on that site!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:28 am 

tinglepants! wrote:
There are a lot of cute dresses here. I'm not sure about the quality or fit of these dresses, as I've never shopped there. I think the sizing is probably similar to Modcloth's (and it looks like they carry some of the same non-bridal dresses). They're pretty inexpensive, though I do like couroupita's suggestion of finding a pattern you like...

Ooooh. I really like this one. Especially for a late March wedding that will probably be rainy and cold. http://shopruche.com/claire.html

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:48 am 

vijita wrote:
tinglepants! wrote:

Ooooh. I really like this one. Especially for a late March wedding that will probably be rainy and cold. http://shopruche.com/claire.html

ETA...yay! My sister is actually going to make it. Now I need to put my head together with hers and find a pattern.

ETA...oops. I didn't ETA at all. Ha.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:08 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

vijita wrote:
vijita wrote:
tinglepants! wrote:

ETA...yay! My sister is actually going to make it. Now I need to put my head together with hers and find a pattern.

ETA...oops. I didn't ETA at all. Ha.

that's so cool of your sister to make your dress, vijita! w00t!

also - i really like that dress, especially the rosettes. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:16 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

very cool vijita!
I spent a few days going to the mall and looking HIGH and LOW for a dress I would like, before I just bought something on ebay - basically a super simple dress I already have, but in a light blue-green color (the one I have is really dark green, which I didn't want for my wedding). I really don't like shopping in general, and being a size 14 means that stores like J Crew don't even carry dresses in my size (fork you, J Crew!). So, I'm happy to done with that!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:02 am 

Yeah, I despise shopping. (And seriously, Fork you J. Crew!) Actually, I think my mum might have convinced me to buy the dress I linked to, even though it's ridiculously expensive in my mind. She wants to buy it for me, but my inherent thriftiness thinks the money could be better used elsewhere. But I do like the dress a lot!

I'm concerned about the sizing because according to the chart, I'm a small, but I'm also pretty tall so I want the length to be there. This is so trivial, but should I get a medium and get my sister to alter it if need be? I usually order mediums in everything because I don't love wearing tight clothes, but I guess it matters when you're buying something more expensive than the twenty dollar dresses that are my staples.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:37 am 

what is their return policy like? if you want to order the dress, i'd probably get a small hoping to not alter it and then if you do need to order a medium and have it altered you'd have plenty of time!
btw, i love that dress!!! it's super beautiful.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:01 am 

Thanks! And yes, good call. I totally didn't expect to find a dress so early and I hope my body doesn't change much because I will have nothing of this ridiculous wedding-dieting ritual.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:53 pm 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

0_o Just ordered a several hundred dollar wedding dress! No going back now!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:09 pm 

post pics! I just bought these shoes, which I'll use for my wedding and also as a bridesmaid this fall. I hate paying lots of money for stupid shoes so I'm pleased with this purchase and their inherent vegan-ness. http://shopruche.com/notting-hill-bow-flats.html

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:30 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I love your shoes and dress! Really, really beautiful! :)

I put up some pics. Hopefully not too mushy or annoying!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:09 am 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

I love the lavender jars!! I've been pinning basically that same concept for months now.

I'm going to hold off on posting about the dress anymore until I get it in 10 weeks and I know it fits... buying sometime you've never tried on before is scary when there are no returns!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:51 am 

Not annoying at all! You look so beautiful. I love the venue. And the lavender. We actually grow tonnes of lavender on the farm we're having the ceremony at so I might have to copy you if that's viable for March. Which, come to think of it, it probably isn't. I really don't like cut flowers so I might have to forgo the whole flower deal. I'm weird and would be happier with winter squashes as centrepieces.

Anyway, I love it! Thanks for posting!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:27 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Thanks! I feel the same way about cut flowers, so the herbs were a nice compromise. And they smelled great; the first thing I did when I got home was dry everything so I can use it for sachets and to add to soap and stuff.

Winter squashes sound really cool! My friend did potted succulents for centerpieces and had succulent bouquets and boutonnieres. We planted them after her wedding and now we all have really cool succulent gardens. I'm not quite sure why flowers became the norm for weddings. There are lots of cool things you can do!

Thessaly, fingers crossed!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:49 pm 

LOVED reading Amey's recap too! Your food ideas were so creative and fun. Anyone with bottles of sriracha at a wedding is a friend of mine.

My dress came today, and it fits perfectly! It is definitely the most beautiful piece of clothing I have/will ever own. I was dancing around in it while Jay was in the bath and Puddy kept trying to eat it. Haha.

I'm really inspired to do my own food after reading about your wedding, couroupita. I might have to compromise and work with the caterers a bit. I can't remember if I mentioned this already, but I'm having one of the suppliers (a local chocolatier) we have at my workplace (and wedding venue) to make vegan truffles using one of our dessert ciders. I think I like that better than cake, and she's giving me a bargain!

We're going to have the ceremony outside, so everyone will be encouraged to wear wellington boots and bring an umbrella. I am totally going to wear wellys. When we come back to the cider house, there will be mugs of mulled cider for the pre-dinner drink.

This is so fun!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:37 pm 

Okay. I felt really weird once when I went to a wedding and the couple asked for monetary donations in lieu of gifts. Mainly because I was bringing our cash-stuffed card up to the bride and she promptly said "IS THERE MONEY IN THERE?". However, I don't want gifts, but we do really really really want to make a trip/honeymoon (to England to introduce Jay to my English relatives then to maybe Turkey), so do you guys think it is tacky to ask for money? I really don't want my friends to contribute much...I mean I'd be happy with five bucks, but people like my parents can afford to contribute a bit more. I am so conflicted as to whether this is annoying or not. I would absolutely never ever EXPECT anything, but sometimes people just like giving something, right?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 498 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 20  Next