| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Daniel Tosh is a crasshole, The Onion is worse.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:05 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

So i'm sure we've all heard about how Daniel Tosh made light of rape and then said it would be funny if an audience member were raped right there. If you haven't:

http://jezebel.com/5925186/how-to-make-a-rape-joke

Now, I knew someone was going to suggest that wouldn't it be funny if HE got raped? What I did not expect was for The Onion to write a spoof article saying he had been, with graphic description. TRIGGER WARNING. BIG RED FLAGS. I AM ONLY NOT CRYING BECAUSE I AM TOO ANGRY TO FEEL ANYTHING ELSE.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/daniel ... ape,28769/

Of course there's no name on the article, so I can't start a Change.org petition to get that person fired. And don't mistake this as a defense of Daniel Tosh, even if his comments WERE taken out of context, i've sat uncomfortably through enough of his jokes to know that he does say those sorts of things. But the graphic description provided almost made me throw up before the rage kicked in.

Rape isn't funny, even if you're joking about someone who made a joke about rape. I would not wish the lifetime of baggage it comes with on my worst enemy. I'm sure they thought they were just 'turning the tables', but that doesn't make me want to punch a wall any less.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Daniel Tosh is a crasshole, The Onion is worse.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:09 pm 
Semen Strong

That is horrible and terrible.

I really love Pharyngula for their thoughtful dissection of the Tosh events, and specifically saying that male-on-male rape isn't funny either.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:27 pm 
Semen Strong

Ugh that article is haunting me. Don't read it if you don't want to be haunted.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:35 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

What the forking fork.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:37 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

I think Daniel Tosh is funny and intelligent enough not to tell rape jokes, so I wish he would stop. When I read a headline that he apologized for telling a rape joke, I was really happy, but then I read the article and realized he wasn't really apologizing at all. Still, totally uncool on the part of The Onion- I see what they were trying to do, but like has been said, rape is never funny.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:52 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

dakini wrote:
I think Daniel Tosh is funny and intelligent enough not to tell rape jokes, so I wish he would stop.

have you seen his show? he's always been a misogynist prick in my eyes. disgusting.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:39 pm 
WELFARIST!

joshua wrote:
dakini wrote:
I think Daniel Tosh is funny and intelligent enough not to tell rape jokes, so I wish he would stop.

have you seen his show? he's always been a misogynist prick in my eyes. disgusting.

Yeah, this. I've never seen him be either funny nor intelligent.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:44 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Huh. I see the Onion article differently, personally. I don't think it's saying that it would be funny for him to be raped - it's pointing out exactly what Tosh thought would be so "hilarious" and how completely wrong and awful he is. I think it's making fun of the absurd rather than making light of rape. Just my two cents, and I hope this doesn't offend someone. Rape really sucks.

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:30 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

joshua wrote:
dakini wrote:

Yeah, someone on tumblr mentioned that in one episode he asked male viewers to submit videos of them groping women without consent, and be sure to fat shame them, which several did apparently

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:13 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Jigglypuff wrote:
Huh. I see the Onion article differently, personally. I don't think it's saying that it would be funny for him to be raped - it's pointing out exactly what Tosh thought would be so "hilarious" and how completely wrong and awful he is. I think it's making fun of the absurd rather than making light of rape. Just my two cents, and I hope this doesn't offend someone. Rape really sucks.

I think it's pretty clear that that was the intention of the article, but that doesn't make it hurt a rape survivor any less. As the Jezebel article points out, if one in four college-aged women have experienced sexual assault, the odds are pretty forking high that at least one of those women is reading or hearing what you have to say. Is it really worth making that woman relive the absolute worst, most horrifying moment of her life just because you think you're being clever or you're making a strong point? If they're your priorities, then you're a pretty awful person, as far as I'm concerned*.

*I should point out that I'm using 'you' to refer to people generally, not specifically you!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:17 am 

Erinnerung wrote:

I think it's pretty clear that that was the intention of the article, but that doesn't make it hurt a rape survivor any less...Is it really worth making that woman relive the absolute worst, most horrifying moment of her life just because you think you're being clever or you're making a strong point?

Yeah, exactly. That's why I said i'm sure they thought they were turning the tables, but they were doing pretty much the same thing. Except with graphic details. Reading what Daniel Tosh said (or supposedly said if you want to be diplomatic) made me not like him and I had to take a shower from the skin crawling, but I didn't have a desire to throw up and then put my fist through every wall in my house. Also, if someone had put their name on that article, I would've tracked down their email/twitter/whatever so I could yell at them.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:05 am 
Semen Strong

mrsbadmouth wrote:
Erinnerung wrote:

I think it's pretty clear that that was the intention of the article, but that doesn't make it hurt a rape survivor any less...Is it really worth making that woman relive the absolute worst, most horrifying moment of her life just because you think you're being clever or you're making a strong point?

Yeah, exactly. That's why I said i'm sure they thought they were turning the tables, but they were doing pretty much the same thing. Except with graphic details. Reading what Daniel Tosh said (or supposedly said if you want to be diplomatic) made me not like him and I had to take a shower from the skin crawling, but I didn't have a desire to throw up and then put my fist through every wall in my house. Also, if someone had put their name on that article, I would've tracked down their email/twitter/whatever so I could yell at them.

This. I don't see it as being any different. Its the same just worse.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:17 am 
Bathes in Braggs

How is this funny?? Seriously, HOW is this funny??? Who laughs at this crepe???

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:21 am 
rowdily playing checkers

Erinnerung wrote:
Is it really worth making that woman relive the absolute worst, most horrifying moment of her life just because you think you're being clever or you're making a strong point? If they're your priorities, then you're a pretty awful person, as far as I'm concerned*.

Someone who has been raped probably shouldn't click through to the article, given the headline.

I think there's a pretty big difference between what Tosh was doing and what The Onion is doing here.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:31 am 
Semen Strong

just mumbles wrote:
Erinnerung wrote:
Is it really worth making that woman relive the absolute worst, most horrifying moment of her life just because you think you're being clever or you're making a strong point? If they're your priorities, then you're a pretty awful person, as far as I'm concerned*.

Someone who has been raped probably shouldn't click through to the article, given the headline.

I think there's a pretty big difference between what Tosh was doing and what The Onion is doing here.

Shouldn't but did. Still feeling like I need to vomit and shower.

Tosh was trying to mock and embarass a heckler by imagining her being gangraped by 5 guys and calling it funny. The Onion is trying to mock Tosh by imagining him being the victim of a painful anal gangrape and getting HIV and calling it funny. So what is the difference again?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:49 am 

The big difference is that whoever wrote The Onion piece gets to hide behind a website and isn't going to have their name dragged through the mud, which if Daniel Tosh deserves it, so does that person. My entire point is that if A is unacceptable, so is B. Just because B is making fun of A, doesn't mean it's different or better.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:50 am 
rowdily playing checkers

Tofulish wrote:
So what is the difference again?

The motivation and the delivery. Tosh was dealing with a "heckler" (I don't think she actually qualifies as one, which is part of the problem with what he did) by using unfunny shock comedy to argue that even terrible events can be funny. I think he fell flat on his face, precisely because it wasn't funny.

The Onion is making a meta-joke designed to illustrate what's wrong with what Tosh did. It's pretty obvious where they're going from the headline--it's as close to a trigger warning as you're going to get in a satirical newspaper.

You can say that descriptions of violent rape in a comedic context should be off the table in all cases, but that doesn't mean there are no differences here.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:15 am 
Flounceiad 2011

Not clicking because this entire incident has rendered me incoherent with rage and frustration, and I'm afraid that my head will actually explode if I allow anything more to be added to this particular shitpile.

"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:41 am 
rowdily playing checkers

I really don't think they're just turning the tables here. The joke isn't "Daniel Tosh Gets Raped". It's "Daniel Tosh Thinks It's So Funny That He's Getting Raped."

They're taking him at his word and then playing it for absurdity. Of course he wouldn't laugh. When Tosh says "rape is funny" what he actually means is "it's funny when other people get raped." It's pretty nasty stuff when the person laughing is in a position of power, security, and comfort relative to the person being laughed at. It's pretty unlikely that Daniel Tosh will ever get raped.

If the woman had said, "Rape isn't funny!" and he'd said "Oh, come on. Wouldn't it be at least a little bit funny if five guys jumped up on stage and raped me right now?" I don't think we'd be talking about this.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:03 am 

God dammit, I don't wanna debate with mumbles because we all know he's really good at it. BUT.

1. If he had said it about himself, and the girl had told a friend who then blogged about it, we'd probably still be talking a little. But a big part of the story was how she immediately felt scared, and as someone pointed out, people have gone out and groped strangers because of jokes he's made. Now i'm not saying that it was likely that dudes were going to jump up and attack her, but it's still not cool to be like, "Hey, this would be HILARIOUS if it happened to this very specific person right now." Sometimes when i'm in my car and someone crazily cuts me off, I wish them a fiery death, but if someone heard me (my car could be bugged, you don't know!), and then proceeded to run them off the road on my behalf...that would be pretty horrifying.

But I would be making the exact same face i'm making right now if he had said it about himself.

2. I get what The Onion is trying to do, but like I said, it's still not funny and it's not actually making anyone think. Because I hate myself, I read some of their facebook comments and so many people said things like 'if either offends you, get over it'. There is this huge problem with fans on the internet, in which people think they have to rabidly defend every stupid thing anyone the 'like' says and does, attack the opposition, etc. I think you can be a fan of someone and not agree with everything they do. I love Gilda Radner, she was a bulimic and incredibly homophobic. As far as I know, she kept both of those things out of her comedy so I will still say that she was a funny lady. I would not say that it's sometimes okay to be homophobic and if someone's homophobia offends you, to just 'get over it'. /tangent

I'm not going to pretend that i'm not taking this personally because OBVIOUSLY I am. I am even more raw about it because someone I know was assaulted two days before and my empathy runs deep. These feelings are horrible and I don't want anyone to ever have to feel them, and that's where my desire to punch all of the faces comes from.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:15 am 
rowdily playing checkers

mrsbadmouth wrote:
1. If he had said it about himself, and the girl had told a friend who then blogged about it, we'd probably still be talking a little.

But that's precisely what I think wouldn't have happened. Turning the focus away from the woman and onto himself would have disarmed the situation. Instead, he doubled down on being stupid and bro-ish.

I mean, I'm not saying anyone has to think that The Onion piece is funny, and I understand why people just don't ever want to hear about rape in this context. But I think they're coming from a very different place.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:01 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Tofulish wrote:
just mumbles wrote:
Erinnerung wrote:

Shouldn't but did. Still feeling like I need to vomit and shower.

Tosh was trying to mock and embarass a heckler by imagining her being gangraped by 5 guys and calling it funny. The Onion is trying to mock Tosh by imagining him being the victim of a painful anal gangrape and getting HIV and calling it funny. So what is the difference again?

I mean absolutely no disrepect to Tofulish AT ALL but this just jumped out at me. As a woman, I never quite got what people meant when they said "rape culture"...I did a little but not completely. I guess until I saw this...how interesting that even amongst intelligent and sensitive people, when describing a gangrape against a woman it's "gangrape" but against a man it's "a painful anal gangrape". I'm pretty sure gangrape ( or any type for forks sake ) would be painful, vaginal or anal, woman or man....why attach the word "painful" only when we're talking about a guy? Like it's somehow worse if it happens to a man. It's not worse. It's awful no matter what. it's like saying a woman is a "hors d'oeuvre" but a guy is a "manwhore" like "hors d'oeuvre" just automatically means a woman so you have to differentiate when it's a dude. These are things we all say and hear all the time and don't even give it a second thought.
just had to get that off my chest....that's all

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:12 pm 

I think she was just referring to the fact that The Onion was very specific in the details of what "happened" to Daniel Tosh.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:02 pm 
Semen Strong

greenie wrote:
As a woman, I never quite got what people meant when they said "rape culture"...I did a little but not completely. I guess until I saw this...how interesting that even amongst intelligent and sensitive people, when describing a gangrape against a woman it's "gangrape" but against a man it's "a painful anal gangrape". I'm pretty sure gangrape ( or any type for forks sake ) would be painful, vaginal or anal, woman or man....why attach the word "painful" only when we're talking about a guy? Like it's somehow worse if it happens to a man. It's not worse. It's awful no matter what.

If you read the two accounts (and I wish I hadn't), as MBM says, the Onion goes into a great deal of detail about how painful it is. It is the core of the piece - sentence after sentence of painful. gory and horrible detail. I absolutely agree with you that rape under any circumstances is painful, but in this case, my word choice was based on the content of the two pieces.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:13 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

you're probably right but I've heard male vs female sexual assault referred to or talked about like that before and it always rubs me the wrong way.
back to the topic of Daniel Tosh being forkwad though, I used to think he was funny when i saw bits and pieces of his show and stand up. THEN....I saw a stand up thing of his on Comedy Central. Too gross, too over the line and THEN he made a rape joke. Really? So this is his thing then I guess. AND I read that he has this new animated show on Comedy Central and the first pilot is all about his rape jokes!? Are they forking serious with this? Keeping that in mind I have a hard time giving a rat's asparagus what The Onion writes ( although I do wish they hadn't stooped to his level even though I do get what they were doing ).

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next