| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I Made A Vegan Simulacrum of Scrambled Eggs! Foodies input?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:34 am 
Semen Strong

Let me start by saying that scrambled eggs were my favorite food in the world pre-gan and I still miss them so much. Tofu scrambles have never really done it for me, because while they satisfy the savory part of eggs, they miss the very mild nutty and sweet undertone of eggs. But this manages to add that note of eggyness and is also a pretty cheap, high protein, 30 minute fast breakfast that I found really satisfying. I'd love input from foodies and bloggers to see what you guys think, though, because I've never made up a recipe, and I bet you could refine it and make it amazing.

Here is the basic recipe:

I cooked 1/2 cup red lentils and 1/2 cup quinoa together in 2 cups water. Essentially, I covered the pot, brought the mix to a boil, turned off the heat and let them finish cooking covered. The red lentils "melted" into the quinoa and gave it a very light yellow color and creaminess, while the quinoa gave it some body that balanced out the creaminess.

Once cooked, I added nutritional yeast and salt (inspired by JLGoesVegan's home-made V-Egg, just without the turmeric), to taste, et voila!

It was a little creamy, yet firm, a little salty yet sweet. It doesn't have the airy texture of pure scrambled eggs, but it does come very close to the flavor contrast and the dynamics of scrambled eggs, especially if you put it into a breakfast burrito (where the airy texture of eggs gets lost anyway). I made a big batch, and am going to try different combos out. I'm going to make tomorrow's with a little jalapeno, hot sauce and organic spinach.

It is a quick (especially if you make a big batch of the base and then vary it up in under 5 minutes), cheap, high protein breakfast, and definitely gives me more sustained energy than a carby sweet breakfast does. Plus it is gluten and soy-free.

I'd love your thoughts!

Post subject: Re: I Made A Vegan Simulacrum of Scrambled Eggs! Foodies in
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:42 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Maybe add some pureed soft or firm tofu for eggy texture?

(Personally, eggs are the food I miss the least of all non-vegan items. Even tofu is often too eggy for me...)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:51 am 
Semen Strong

Thanks for your thoughts! That isn't going to do it for me, because the specific egg texture I mean is that very light, airy texture you get when you cook up protein and water, firm, but dry and very light and airy with just enough "give" to resist your tooth, and then melt into moisture. I don't know of any thing like egg whites that work the same way, besides semen congealing in bathwater :) Adding tofu just makes it heavier, but just a bit more creamy. Plus it would add that tofu taste that I don't like in tofu scrambles.

I am more looking for people who liked eggs to try it and see what they think.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:21 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I'm going to try this Tofulish. Thanks for the lentil/quinoa idea.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:46 am 
Flounceiad 2011

I never really cared for eggs (except in custard, and Mr Bird kindly took care of that for me back in the 19th century), so I have nothing constructive to offer, except that if you ever start a cooking blog, it should be called "semen congealing in bathwater."

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:50 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Tofulish wrote:
I don't know of any thing like egg whites that work the same way, besides semen congealing in bathwater

Hire someone to write your cookbook recipe intros for you. <3

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:03 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Tofulish wrote:
Thanks for your thoughts! That isn't going to do it for me, because the specific egg texture I mean is that very light, airy texture you get when you cook up protein and water, firm, but dry and very light and airy with just enough "give" to resist your tooth, and then melt into moisture. I don't know of any thing like egg whites that work the same way, besides semen congealing in bathwater :) Adding tofu just makes it heavier, but just a bit more creamy. Plus it would add that tofu taste that I don't like in tofu scrambles.

I'd try adding a little arrowroot or xantham gum. Arrowroot goes stringy like mucus if you let it and xantham gum makes things go a bit congealy.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:39 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I'll definitely try this; I miss scrambled eggs too. Tofu scrambles almost do it for me, though.

Does the quinoa make it too chewy, though?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:36 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

How much nutritional yeast did you add?

I loved scrambled eggs, and although I'm perfectly happy with scrambled tofu I'll give this a go.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:43 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Tofulish wrote:

this might be the grossest post i've ever read on here! trying to make the texture of eggs sound good and also comparing it to semen. holy moly.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:51 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I love this!
I basically make the same thing for my toddler, except that I bring it to a boil and then cook it 20 minutes as if I were making quinoa alone.
When I eat the leftovers I like to top it with some shallot, ginger, and red pepper flakes that I've sauteed in coconut oil.

I bet it would be really yummy on toast.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:55 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

After hearing about this thread my partner suggested that I should google 'natural harvest'

Spoiler: show
Quote:
Like fine wine and cheeses, the taste of semen is complex and dynamic. Semen is inexpensive to produce and is commonly available in many, if not most, homes and restaurants. Despite all of these positive qualities, semen remains neglected as a food. This book hopes to change that.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:03 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Cornelie wrote:
After hearing about this thread my partner suggested that I should google 'natural harvest'

Where's paprikapapaya?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:32 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

I am definitely going to try this! Although I really love tofu scramble, I agree that scrambled eggs are definitely different (and I, too, loved and miss them). I like the idea of trying some arrowroot and/or xanthan gum as well!

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:50 pm 
Semen Strong

I'd love to hear what you think! I haven't worked with xanthan gum, but arrowroot is a thickener, and I can't see it making those little eggy clouds you get in scrambled eggs. The piece that is missing for me is the lightness of eggs. Those firm, airy bites. Its from the protein in eggwhite that gives you meringue, and I am past my vegan paygrade in understanding that.... The quinoa is totally not chewy - because the two are cooked together, the creaminess of the lentils and the slight toothsomeness of the quinoa combine for a nice texture that is somewhat substantial but also creamy, kind of like scrambled eggs where you get a firm bite that then dissolves in your mouth. And for whatever reason, I find the heating to a boil and then turning off the heat gives you perfect rice and perfect quinoa, mine never really gets chewy...

Plus this is so simple, and that is part of the charm. Literally just quinoa and red lentils in equal portion cooked together and then nooch and (black) salt to taste. You can do it very hands off, in the morning and make a big enough batch to have different customizable breakfasts - red onion and avocado one day, perhaps mushroom and red pepper, then jalapeno, spinach and roasted corn the next... Ooh with tempeh bacon and mushrooms....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:09 pm 
Inflexitarian

The only way I liked eggs was scrambled but they couldn't be runny at all. This was almost too gooey for me but you're right, it has all the flavors and feel of scrambled eggs for sure without being gross (like that too real looking fried egg thing going around facebook)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:18 pm 
Semen Strong

assilembob wrote:
The only way I liked eggs was scrambled but they couldn't be runny at all. This was almost too gooey for me but you're right, it has all the flavors and feel of scrambled eggs for sure without being gross (like that too real looking fried egg thing going around facebook)

YAY!!!!!! Thank you SO much for trying it! I really appreciate the feedback!

Its always funny trying to recreate an egg dish with only an omni audience - for me it satisfied my egg craving and felt right, but my omni husband couldn't see it. He hates nooch though, so it makes sense he wouldn't like this. My kidlet however, LOVED it and inhaled it and kept asking for more.

I also love how simple it is - the base is just 4 ingredients (quinoa, lentils, water, nooch and salt). And that it is pretty high in protein, yet low in fat - I feel like simple carb-heavy breakfasts leave me running out of steam really fast, and this kept me fueled until lunch.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:40 pm 
Inflexitarian

Oh I'm definitely going to use this lots. I also enjoyed the high protein and fiber bit with it. I'm a veggie a holic so I'll likely add in some broccoli carrots and spinach totally ruining your egg thing but it's such an awesome base to go from. I can't wait to play with it. (also I'm sick so it totally hit the spot for my sour tummy. When you posted this I was like SCORE!)

And it was even better just now reheated. I will take pictures of it next time.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:54 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I am neither a foodie nor a blogger, but I'll try this anyway! I'm always looking out for savory, high(-er/-ish) protein breakfast ideas, and I did used to like scrambled eggs.

How long did you leave it after you turned off the heat? And do you mean you removed it from the heat or left it on a hot burner? I need specific directions when cooking. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:42 pm 
Inflexitarian

I just let it sit on the burner I turned the heat off...for about 15 minutes. Then I mixed in the nooch and salt.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:35 pm 
And you never will.

I'm going to give this a try! I have all the ingredients on hand all the time, and I used to like scrambled eggs, so why not?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:23 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

what if you aired it up with a mixer?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:31 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I made this this morning! The texture didn't remind me of eggs (but I never liked eggs much and rarely ate them, so maybe I'm wrong) but it was really tasty in a breakfast burrito. Thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:34 am 
***LIES!!!***

I will definitely try this when I get home. I also am a huge egg-misser, any kind of egg: fried, poached, stringy in soup, scrambled, etc. (Also, I can't figure out how to not hate quinoa, so this might be the answer.) I don't go in for all those "gums" and stuff, just don't have the patience for kitchen chemistry, but it seems to me that adding some kind of whipped element might be useful for lightness - whipped mimic-cream or something.

Also, will have to get Mr. A to make you scrambled tofu. I have yet to taste any that match his in actually looking and sorta kinda tasting like eggs. What's up with people and their giant cubes of tofu "scrambles"? His involves a lot of squishing, Daiya, nooch, black salt, turmeric, and luck.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:44 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I made this last night! If I hadn't known it was supposed to resemble scrambled eggs, I wouldn't've guessed it--but then, I always grew up thinking the texture of scrambled eggs was supposed to resemble large hard curds (thanks, Dad). But knowing that, I did think there was a resemblance in texture. I'm used to eggs being a little more... oily isn't quite the word, but it's close, so I may add some Earth Balance or olive oil at the end next time to see if it gives it more of an eggy mouthfeel for me. But if that doesn't change it enough, I'll just go back to your original recipe--it's great, and I'll definitely be making it again!

My vegan husband said he would have known it was "eggs" even if I hadn't told him. He said it's just the texture and flavor he used to expect from scrambled eggs as an omni. When I asked if he had any suggestions to make them eggier, he said the texture was perfect and just asked me to add more black salt next time.