| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 847 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 34  Next
 Post subject: Re: Garden Chat
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:12 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

IsaChandra wrote:
One leaf? Eh, who cares.

(Don't take my advice, I'm a bad gardener.)

My first thought was also "Meh, let 'em have it. What's one leaf?"

SnarkyV- thanks again! I'll keep an eye on it and get rid of the leaf.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:26 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Broccoli question.
I planted seeds some time ago. Came up nicely and are about 20 cm tall now. Little flower heads (think broccoli) are appearing but they are tiny, and the stalk they grown on are shooting up. I can't see them developing anything bigger. Did I plant the seeds too late and is now too hot?
It does say that it can be direct seeded up until mid-late June for a continuous harvest so what's going on?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:40 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Thanks for the ongoing tomato advice... No aphids and no funky leaves today. We have the first tiniest hint of a fruit on the cherry tomato plant and I am so excited!

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:35 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Max&Moritz wrote:
Broccoli question.
I planted seeds some time ago. Came up nicely and are about 20 cm tall now. Little flower heads (think broccoli) are appearing but they are tiny, and the stalk they grown on are shooting up. I can't see them developing anything bigger. Did I plant the seeds too late and is now too hot?
It does say that it can be direct seeded up until mid-late June for a continuous harvest so what's going on?

I wish I understood broccoli. I have never gotten broccoli heads from it but I will ask some other Master Gardeners who grow it successfully. I suspect it will have something to do with the wacky weather we've been having. What zone are you in? There are also some broccoli varieties better suited for warmer environments. I just don't know which ones offhand. Also, if it continues to be an issue for you in your area, you might consider Broccoli Raab instead. But I'll see what I can find out.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:05 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Also, maybe another 'is this really something I should do as a vegan' thing, but I think buying a bag of ladybugs and letting them loose in your garden is always a good idea. Well, maybe a bad idea from the vegan standpoint but... they're so cute! And there's so many!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:14 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Max&Moritz wrote:
Broccoli question.

From your description, it does sound like yours is bolting (go to seed rather than develop a head). But I tend to eat anything and would probably treat those like raab and plop them in a stir fry so as not to waste.

It looks like all the state extension services are saying just about the same thing regarding broccoli: it can bolt or develop much smaller heads if the following occurs:

1. long hot days above normal temps
2. inconsistent watering/rain
3. sowing a variety not good for your zone/climate
4. sowing the wrong season broccoli (spring vs fall)
5. nutrient deficient soil, broccoli are heavy feeders

There also appears to be Spring and Fall varieties. If your weather has been too hot for the Spring variety you planted (inferred from your pkg instructions), then you can scrap that and plant a Fall variety now, depending again on your zone. BTW, some extension documents say transplanting seedlings works better than direct sowing. That may also be dependent upon the Spring vs Fall factor but I couldn't find clarification on that.

Then don't let it dry out too much, keep it consistently watered but not sopping soupy pondlike.

Since I don't know your state or zone or the exact name of the variety you tried, I recommend googling your "state name + extension + broccoli" for growing condition info specific to you. My Chicagoland climate may be significantly different than yours plus there may be recommended varieties for your area. Your local extension office would have that info but they are going to list everything: organic, open-pollinated, and hybrids. It looks like the variety called "Packman" is the only Seminis/Monsanto broccoli to avoid if you're not in the habit of supporting them: http://www.seminis.com/global/us/produc ... ccoli.aspx

University of Minnesota has the best documentation on growing broccoli, nice descriptive photos. But again, it's for zones in Minnesota: http://www.extension.umn.edu/distributi ... M1247.html

If I find anything else, I'll post.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:35 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Mars wrote:
Also, maybe another 'is this really something I should do as a vegan' thing, but I think buying a bag of ladybugs and letting them loose in your garden is always a good idea. Well, maybe a bad idea from the vegan standpoint but... they're so cute! And there's so many!

They sure are adorable! But you might want to find out where the lady bugs you're buying come from first. Most are harvested in wild locations and may carry parasites that can infect your native ladybugs. But there ARE sources for captive-bred ladybugs. Here's a great interview with bug lady, Suzanne Wainwright, via Treehugger. She's not vegan obviously but it contains good info on the ladybug industry and attracting them to your garden naturally. http://www.treehugger.com/lawn-garden/w ... arden.html

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:22 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

You know what's weird? My lettuce has been doing okay, even though the temps have been in the 100s. What's up with that?

This really is my best gardening year so far! In the past four years I've gone from unable to keep a houseplant alive, to growing heirloom tomatoes from seed. It's like the happiest thing in the world.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:19 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Finally started my container garden this past weekend! I had convinced myself I wasn't going to do one, what with school busyness coming up and all, but I finally gave in. I don't care if it's July, I'm starting my garden! We just got over a drought/heat wave that would have wrecked any garden I might have had if I had been organized and started one in the spring. I figure we'll have at least three more months of mild weather, so a late start isn't so bad.

Haphazard garden! (all in containers)
window container: salad mix, radishes (for salad babies)
seedlings to go outside later: sweet Italian basil, purple opal basil
direct-sown seed: lettuce, marigolds, radishes
seedlings started outdoors: bush beans (for when I find a suitable pot)
store-bought transplants: patio, Mr. Stripey, and some sort of cherry tomatoes; sweet banana pepper
seeds ordered: black-seeded Simpson lettuce, dwarf kale, golden beets, more bush beans, table queen winter squash, daikon radishes, carrots, collards, hyssop, bergamot, parsley.

Yes, I am starting beans and winter squash in July. No, I don't care. I'm throwing caution to the wind! And money, probably!

A couple of years ago I spent so much time and $ working in a community garden plot, only to have every last plant choked by a monster morning glory plant that covered all but two of the 12+ plots. Meanwhile, a leftover free tomato plant that I abandoned in an old, broken storage container and never watered produced enormous, yummy tomatoes well into December.

"God said, kill and eat!" ~ my grandmother

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:44 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

IsaChandra wrote:
You know what's weird? My lettuce has been doing okay, even though the temps have been in the 100s. What's up with that?

I wanna know what lettuce variety you planted! And then that's what we should all plant for really hot summers ;-]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:16 am 
Seagull of the PPK

OMG OMG FROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST!!!!!

i think all my babies are frost hardy. let's hope.

i moved into a new place and dug some beds, so everything is small (except the herb and lettuce and mustard starts, which should be hardy enough). i have baby dill, chard, kale, collards, and peas-- all hardy, i hope.

glad i didn't plant that passionfruit vine. and the tangerine tree i planted was a volunteer, small, and when the neighbor lady had sewer problems the water company guys trampled it- poor babies!!
also, just repotted 3 peace lilies for inside, i've heard they absorb mold spores, do you think this could possibly be true?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:07 pm 

snarkyvegan wrote:
IsaChandra wrote:

I wanna know what lettuce variety you planted! And then that's what we should all plant for really hot summers ;-]

It's just red leaf! But I've planted it before and had it blister up and die. Something magical is happening...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:24 pm 
Married to the wolfman

My dill was growing like crazy and starting to get flowers and I was like woo so exciting and then it just shriveled up and died overnight. I'm pretty sure it's dead dead. I watered it like two days ago and the soil is still moist... which means the roots haven't taken liquid in, right? Dammit.

My beefsteak variety heirloom has some bright yellow sorta splashes on some of the leaves all over the plant, and the tips of some of the leaves look kinda burnt. It has a TON of flowers (about half dozen of which have just shrivelled up and broken off, what the hell?) but no fruit. I've been convinced that it's on death's door (despite the fact that it's still getting bigger and bigger) but then I noticed this same yellow pattern on one or two of my landlords' tomato plants which have huge fat fruits on them and are doing great. What gives? Is this thing ever going to grow tomatoes or what?

The cherry tomato has 4 or 5 little fruits on it now, which is very exciting. The chard's going gangbusters, ditto on the basil, the salad mix is really coming up, and get this... remember how I said the cat dug up one of our two arugula plants? Well, I replanted it even though I figured it'd just die. It really looked like it was on its way out for a while. Aaaand then it just started growing normally again. It's almost as big as the other arugula now.

Lemon thyme is the most boring plant. I guess it grows back because I keep cutting huge chunks off it but every time I look at it looks exactly the same size.

Haven't seen aphids again since that day that I freaked out and sprayed the plants with dish soap. I've been checking every day just in case.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:07 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

coldandsleepy wrote:
My dill was growing like crazy and starting to get flowers and I was like woo so exciting and then it just shriveled up and died overnight. I'm pretty sure it's dead dead. I watered it like two days ago and the soil is still moist... which means the roots haven't taken liquid in, right? Dammit.

My beefsteak variety heirloom has some bright yellow sorta splashes on some of the leaves all over the plant, and the tips of some of the leaves look kinda burnt. It has a TON of flowers (about half dozen of which have just shrivelled up and broken off, what the hell?) but no fruit. I've been convinced that it's on death's door (despite the fact that it's still getting bigger and bigger) but then I noticed this same yellow pattern on one or two of my landlords' tomato plants which have huge fat fruits on them and are doing great. What gives? Is this thing ever going to grow tomatoes or what?

If you can post photos of the spots, macro close up and a shot of the plant so we can see how they are distributed, I can help you diagnose it. There are many many kinds of spots.

The dill issue is weird. The only time I lost dill overnight was to swallowtail caterpillars. Are the flower heads seeding?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:11 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Am I the only one who has giant vegetable dreams? Last week my neighbor gave me a pretty effin big spaghetti squash, so then I dreamed of mutant sized ones in my garden and tomatoes that were bigger than my head (and then they had equally big bug holes, luckily I woke up before I met the bugs). Last night I dreamed of a five foot long zucchini and a turnip the size of a softball.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:12 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

TOPIC: blossom-end rot in tomatoes, eggplants, peppers, squash

Reposting here from my Vegan Tomato facebook page in case y'all are having this problem. I'm sure we're due given the drought across the nation.
---------
Blossom-end Rot on tomatoes and eggplants? Are omnis advising you to add eggshells to your soil or spray the plants with milk? Yeah, been there. Always check with your local Extension office for the truth first. Most of the time, they'll have a solid scientific answer and not an old wive's tale.

The answers for treatment are found in the cause:

1. calcium is not distributing sufficiently through the plant to the fruit
2. consistent water is needed to do so through transpiration of moisture from the fruit, stems and leaves, thus pulling the calcium upward from the soil (assuming your soil has enough calcium)
3. too much nitrogen in the soil causes too much leaf growth and since leaves absorb calcium more readily than fruit, that's where it's going
4. damaged roots can affect calcium uptake
5. too much hot dry air, too much humidity, gotta find the sweet spot

AND a couple more causes but suffice it to say that our nation's drought conditions this year have contributed to the probability of more blossom-end rot for all of us.

Read this handy info from the Wisconsin Extension office. http://hort.uwex.edu/articles/blossom-end-rot

Oh, and anecdotally, many folks find that blossom-end rot affects more elongated tomatoes, like roma shaped, than round, but not always. That part's not in the Wis Ex doc.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:14 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

mrsbadmouth wrote:
Am I the only one who has giant vegetable dreams? Last week my neighbor gave me a pretty effin big spaghetti squash, so then I dreamed of mutant sized ones in my garden and tomatoes that were bigger than my head (and then they had equally big bug holes, luckily I woke up before I met the bugs). Last night I dreamed of a five foot long zucchini and a turnip the size of a softball.

HA! Were there any carrots in your dream? https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... ke&theater

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:39 am 
Married to the wolfman

Here's what some of the leaves I pulled off looked like:

There are some left on the plant which are similiar in appearance-- sort of streaky bright yellow on green, burnt looking tips-- but not wilty/curly at the edges the way the ones in the picture are. They're not all at the bottom of the plant, not all at the top, not all on one side or anything. There aren't any dark spots on the leaves other than the burnt tippy bits and the stems look totally normal insofar as I can tell (all green).

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:05 am 
Married to the wolfman

Also, I was just out scrutinizing the plant thoroughly (I spend a lot of time just looking at this damn thing and contemplating it) and noticed that it has its first tiny fruit! FINALLY.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:34 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

coldandsleepy wrote:
There are some left on the plant which are similiar in appearance-- sort of streaky bright yellow on green, burnt looking tips-- but not wilty/curly at the edges the way the ones in the picture are. They're not all at the bottom of the plant, not all at the top, not all on one side or anything. There aren't any dark spots on the leaves other than the burnt tippy bits and the stems look totally normal insofar as I can tell (all green).

Is this photo the same plant as the leaves photo above? http://www.flickr.com/photos/coldandsle ... otostream/

Overall, my bet is Verticillium wilt given your Santa Cruz temps and the appearance of the leaves plus you say that it's not just on one side of the plant.

1. Verticillium wilt is a cooler weather disease and according to Weather Underground, Santa Cruz has been in the 65-75 ranges for a while which is perfect for Verticillium wilt. Fusarium wilt (another soil-borne disease in the same category) is a warm/hot weather disease. Can you confirm your temps so far this summer?

2. Blossom drop can be caused by extreme temperature fluctuations or not enough water/light or too much nitrogen. And if that second photos on your Flickr pg is the same plant: it is in a smallish pot for the type of tomato that it is (6-foot beefsteak), the pot is clay (dries out faster than plastic), you're going to have to water it frequently if you haven't been already. And yep, plants stressed for water do exhibit more severe Verticillium wilt symptoms because of the disease damage to the plant's vascular system. So keep them watered well. Check it daily for soil moisture. Water twice a day if needed.

3. Verticillium wilt is a fungal disease coming from soil-borne spores and is already in most soils. You can continue to grow the plant and VW will still look awful in hot weather but it will stall out until weather cools again.

Here's the link to the Monterey Bay Master Gardeners through the UC Extension Office if you want to double check with a Master Gardener specific to your climate: http://montereybaymastergardeners.org/

They have a hotline and an email hotline for gardeners with problems in your climate. I'll bet they confirm Verticillium wilt. If you take the leaves to them for inspection (which you can do), be sure to bag them and take the photos too. But you should be able to just email them the two Flickr photos. Assuming the potted one is the same plant.

So, keep it or pitch it. If you keep it, keep it watered as regularly as possible to help manage the disease. And hope for hotter weather in your area to slow down the disease.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:32 pm 
WELFARIST!

I've been making an amazing pesto lately with basil, salt, olive oil, garlic and pumpkin seeds. We've never grown enough basil to make so much pesto before so I'm super excited that I'm able to make it this year. On the downside, the animal came back and ate half our garden again. Taking part in a garden that you don't have complete control over is frustrating because if I was able to do what I wanted to do, this probably wouldn't have happened.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:30 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Snarkyv, thanks again for your help. I think you're right. For some reason I'd crossed that off my list of suspects early on but reading more about it, it sounds right. That's the same plant in that picture like you guessed. The temps haven't gone much over 75 here on most days this summer. I've been watering the tomatoes daily and checking again in the afternoon, I'll keep that up.

The big bummer here is that I planted this plant in a brand new pot with brand new potting soil... And then like a dummy, I decided to add a little dirt from the dirt strip in our yard because the pot wasn't quite full. Which is probably where the fungus came from. Live and learn I guess! I'm out all of 3 bucks on the thing but it is still kinda sad that I've given my tomato baby a terminal disease.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:10 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

coldandsleepy wrote:
Snarkyv, thanks again for your help. I think you're right. For some reason I'd crossed that off my list of suspects early on but reading more about it, it sounds right. That's the same plant in that picture like you guessed. The temps haven't gone much over 75 here on most days this summer. I've been watering the tomatoes daily and checking again in the afternoon, I'll keep that up.

The big bummer here is that I planted this plant in a brand new pot with brand new potting soil... And then like a dummy, I decided to add a little dirt from the dirt strip in our yard because the pot wasn't quite full. Which is probably where the fungus came from. Live and learn I guess! I'm out all of 3 bucks on the thing but it is still kinda sad that I've given my tomato baby a terminal disease.

Yep, never add yard soil to pots. You can solarize yard soil to eliminate the pathogens but that also affects all the good bacteria. And they'll come back anyway because IT'S EVERYWHERE! Such a dilemma. Since you're not contaminating the yard soil since it's already contaminated, I'd just scooch that pot away from the other pots and allow the plant to give its best shot for the season.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:31 am 

I'm in mourning over my delicatas. And I won't rest until the entire Greenhouse is shaken to its very core.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:52 am 
Seagull of the PPK

meh- squash--- if it ain't borers, the powdery mildew makes you cry. i don't think i've ever had any success with winter squash or pumpkins.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 847 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 34  Next