| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: internist?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:09 am 
Inflexitarian

Can an internist prescribe my anxiety medication? Now that I'm not pregnant or breastfeeding I'd like to go back on it..

Our doctor practice I have signed up for says it's both general physicians and internists. I've been on the medication on and off for years. Quite frankly, Asperger's+tons of changes=anxious!

What exactly IS an internist?

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/GeekKnowledge

Post subject: Re: internist?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:55 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I can't answer what exactly an internist is (and my husband's uncle's long time partner is one) but I'm going to guess they can prescribe anxiety meds, as I had mine prescribed by a midwife* and a doctor* at different points. But if your office is both general and internal, I don't see why there would be an issue...unless different states have different laws.

*I have no idea how other states work, but in NC, certified nurse midwives are RNs. I also starred doctor because my family doctor is also an RN.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:49 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Shanti wrote:
Can an internist prescribe my anxiety medication? Now that I'm not pregnant or breastfeeding I'd like to go back on it..

Our doctor practice I have signed up for says it's both general physicians and internists. I've been on the medication on and off for years. Quite frankly, Asperger's+tons of changes=anxious!

What exactly IS an internist?

An internist is an MD (or possibly DO) physician who did a 3 year internal medicine residency after medical school. Internal medicine is the care of adults - they do not take care of children or pregnant women, unless they have completed additional training.

Some internists might prescribe anti-anxiety medication - you'd really have to ask. They are able to prescribe these medicines as are family doctors, but may choose not to because of the potential for misuse (for benzodiazepines) and also lack of expertise in psychiatric illnesses.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:25 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I have no idea of the answer to your question but I would think that a doctor who cannot prescribe or prefers not to prescribe (for professional reasons) a medication would refer you to one who could. Where you were on the medication previously and had success it may be easier to get a prescription again.

My son also has aspergers & anxiety & OCD and has been tremendously helped by the medication he started about two months ago. It was prescribed by a psychiatrist but I think that my family doctor would have prescribed it to an adult.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:42 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

A GP can prescribe these type of meds. Most will do it if you have a recorded history (medical records) of your previous dosage and you come back a few times to be sure things are going ok. Drug reps visit these doctors and try to keep them appraised of the latest in meds. Once they establish you are doing ok then you will probably only have to visit 2-3 times a year.