| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1393 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 56  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Steam PC gaming thread!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:55 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Does anyone know what time the Daily sales kick over?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:07 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

10:00AM PST usually I think.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:17 pm 
A Bad Person

New dailies!

A couple of big winners! Saints Row the Third is actually really fun! It's like Grand Theft Auto realized it was a video game and not a movie, so it ran with the ridiculousness of it all. Indie Bundle IV is full of winners but you should really be getting it for Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP! It's an ipad port but it's got a great soundtrack and some interesting gameplay. The Walking Dead is 40% off and, from all the reviews I've read of the first two episodes, one of the best adventure games to release in the last five years.

Killing Floor just hit flash sale too! All of it (game and DLCs) are 75% off. God knows BAD and I have sunk plenty of time into that one.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:35 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

And will continue too! I am not quite at my 100% completion in killing floor.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:38 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Does the complete pack have the female character in it yet?!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:54 pm 
A Bad Person

It does not. It doesn't appear that the female character is available yet.

And I'd like to say it's interesting that The Darkness 2 is available (and on daily sale!) when the first game never made it to PC. I'm halfway through The Darkness 2 on xbox and it's pretty enjoyable! The tone is a bit different from the first game, but I think it does a better job of conveying that feeling of controlling multiple appendages. You have two tentacles (one that grabs and throws, the other slashes) and two arms, so I find myself slashing a dude, shooting another, grabbing the first guy, shooting two more dudes, and then executing the first guy. And then I eat all of their hearts! It gets really hairy at times, and I'm pretty sure I could just shoot my way through every fight, but the variety of attacks makes the game unique.

Oh and Mike Patton voices The Darkness! And it's amazing!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:13 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Since a lot of the front page stuff doesn't appeal to me, here's some simpler games that are pretty cheap:

Zen Bound 2 is $1.25. It's pretty relaxing.
Containment: The Zombie Puzzler is $2. It's kind of like zombie tetris, but it has a pretty good story and it's not super long, so $2 is about right.
Lume is $1.74 and it's a cute little adventure game where everything is supposed to look like it's made out of paper.
You can get the Broken Sword Trilogy for $2.50! They are fun, old school (but not old school you need to furiously try to type out the right command) adventure games. But I admit that I started the third one and the interface was different and weird and I never picked it back up. But the first two are totally worth it!

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:50 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Bastion won!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:52 pm 
A Bad Person

I told Steam to remotely install almost every game I bought. It might have installed one. I guess I won't be playing Skyrim tonight!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:49 pm 
A Bad Person

Go get Bastion! It's beautiful, fun, and the soundtrack is great! $3.74 is absolutely nuts!

I voted for Dead Space 2 for the next community sale. I forking love Dead Space 2, EA be damned. Just Cause 2 is, however, rather fun and kind of a lot like Saints Row the Third, except with a grappling hook and parachute and set in jungle-island setting rather than a city. It's madness.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:38 pm 
A Bad Person

Let's talk about the Arcania & Gothic bundle. Don't buy this. The Gothic games, by most accounts, are good but a little bit too janky. Arcania wasn't made by the same people who made Gothic even though they call it Gothic 4. It's probably the most playable, and it's so boring. This bundle may appear to be a good deal. It's not. Just get the one or two good ones, Gothic 1 and 2 being regarded as the best, from GOG.com and skip the bundle. You can still get Two Worlds 2 for $7.49 and Chiatroll says that's a winner. The original Two Worlds is more fun than Arcania, and more playable than Gothic, and that game sucks asparagus.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:04 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Coincidentally I was just looking at that bundle and trying to remember what I'd heard about it... Now you have reminded me, so thanks. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:50 pm 
WRETCHED

I've been wanting Trine 2 and for $3.74, it was a no-brainer. We also picked up Bastion.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:20 pm 
Chip Strong

brian wrote:
New dailies!

A couple of big winners! Saints Row the Third is actually really fun!

I haven't played it that much, but any game that lets me play a big female gang boss with a thick Russian accent that beats people to death with a gigantic purple dildo is worth some coinage.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:51 pm 
A Bad Person

solipsistnation wrote:
Coincidentally I was just looking at that bundle and trying to remember what I'd heard about it... Now you have reminded me, so thanks. 8)

I'm glad I could save even one person. Unfortunately, I couldn't save BAD. Or she chose not to heed my advice. Regardless, poor choices!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:18 am 
A Bad Person

Well. Uhh. Two space games on flash sale now. The X Superbox, which is all of the X series, for $9.99, and Sword of the Stars 2 for $7.49. The X series has a serious following, though I couldn't get into any of them, but I'm pretty sure Sword of the Stars 2 is still considered in invite-only alpha state. The invite coming in the form of you purchasing their broke-ass game. I'll let Chiatroll post his thoughts on SOTS2, but I'm pretty sure he's going to tell us that $7.49 is still too much.

The X Superbox, however, is probably a fantastic deal if you're into open-world space trading and mining and combat sims. I think the series can be most easily compared to Freelancer more than any other space sim, except way more intense.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:36 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I bought the X games a couple of sales ago and didn't get into them. I have a flightstick now, though, so it might be worth trying them out again. In my copious free time.

I think there are tons of mods for them, too, including things like Battlestar Galactica total conversions.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:41 am 
A Bad Person

I'm strictly a fighter pilot and I'm sure there's a place for me in those games, but the first one drops you off in space with a little laser and a big debt and I can't be bothered to continue commodity trading long enough to get a bigger gun. I do not give a single fork about living economies in games (most of the time), so I don't think the X series is much for me.

And yes, my free time is not exactly unlimited right now. I've got the whole series on the backburner, where it will stay for quite a while.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:57 am 
A Bad Person

argh I want to vote for mirror's edge but the steam app is too janky or the site is getting too hammered for my vote to register!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:27 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Any idea if Iron Front: Liberation 1944 is any good? I suppose I could go look for reviews...

EDIT: Never mind, alas.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/05/30/wot-i-think-iron-front-liberation-1944/

Quote:
The missions unravel bafflingly, while smaller issues make it feel like it has not had even basic player-annoying problems addressed. The Panzerfaust I had picked up from a previous part of mission is on my back – modelled accurately, as per Arma 2′s methodology – but that means when I go prone, to avoid being shot, the blast shield from the thing drops in front of my face. I am forced to go into the gear menu and jettison it just to see where I am going. By this time I’ve been shot by Russian riflemen I will never see. Yes, the campaign experience hangs between dry simulation and parodic slapstick. (The voice acting and so-forth is enthusiastic, but predictable awful.)

That's too bad.

Last edited by solipsistnation on Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:30 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I love the gothic series. LOVE IT. HATE BE DAMNED.

I have burned copies of the game, so I was stoked to see it.

Skyrim is soo good, even when you screw yourself by accidentally killing the best black smith etc.

also Fable is on!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:07 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

brian wrote:
Well. Uhh. Two space games on flash sale now. The X Superbox, which is all of the X series, for $9.99, and Sword of the Stars 2 for $7.49. The X series has a serious following, though I couldn't get into any of them, but I'm pretty sure Sword of the Stars 2 is still considered in invite-only alpha state. The invite coming in the form of you purchasing their broke-ass game. I'll let Chiatroll post his thoughts on SOTS2, but I'm pretty sure he's going to tell us that $7.49 is still too much.

The X Superbox, however, is probably a fantastic deal if you're into open-world space trading and mining and combat sims. I think the series can be most easily compared to Freelancer more than any other space sim, except way more intense.

I actually hear people are finishing a few turns without a crash in SOTS2 the last time I looked so it sounds like it's doing better.

super X box isn't as much a great deal because all you near is the most recent one and it's all pretty similar with stuff building on top of it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:13 pm 
Chip Strong

B_A_D wrote:
Skyrim is soo good, even when you screw yourself by accidentally killing the best black smith etc.

That's what the console is for! That and repeatedly rage-killing Nazeem and that fork who asks 50 times a day if you've considered mercenary work, preferably with sweet decapitation moves.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:21 pm 
A Bad Person

B_A_D wrote:
also Fable is on!

Yeah, but it's Fable 3, which is not great. AND it's hampered by GFWL.

You guys, it must be Manshoot Monday because we've got two solid manshoots on daily! I've sung the praises of Metro 2033 plenty. GET IT, before Last Light comes in fall. Rage is an id game. I guess I could stop there. It's good looking and plays well, but it's not the most exciting game, especially coming after Borderlands. Not their finest, but I absolutely love the way id does tech bases and this has a couple of those. I'd get Indie Bundle 5 for Gemini Rue if you're into sci-fi adventure games, or Blade Runner. Dear Esther is interesting. It's not really a game so much as a narrated walking tour. I bought it full price and didn't feel particularly burned. Get it for $2.49 just for the experience, or if you're interested to see the level of detail coming to Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs.

On flash sale now, get the FEAR collection for 1 and 2. Skip all of the expansions for 1, play Reborn because it's short and there's a mech section, and skip 3. The collection is well worth the price for 1 and 2 alone!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:24 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I haven't heard anything good about Fable 3, which makes me sad because Fable 2 is one of my favorite games. I just liked bar tending.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1393 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 56  Next