| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1402 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 57  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Steam PC gaming thread!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:43 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Yeah, I heard general "Meh" about Fable 3.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:19 am 
A Bad Person

Skyrim won the community sale. I started it, and it's an Elder Scrolls game! I'm less than 2 hours in though, so I'm not saying much more.

Hey, and Crysis 2 is on flash sale! I loved Crysis and Crysis Warhead. I realize that Crysis 2 is regarded as a departure from those two, but I still definitely want to give it a shot.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:12 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I found Crysis 2 a joyless slog, and switching out the actually alien flying squids for generic squid-headed guys was, while perhaps a good commercial decision, a timid and boring one. There are some nice setpieces but there is the most intensely dumbed-down-for-consoley feature I've ever seen: When you enter areas with lots of enemies, a voice comes on and says "Tactical options available" and lights up various places where you can do stuff. "Sneak here" and "Shoot things here" and "Snipe from here." You might as well embed a walkthrough. It is very pretty though, and New York blows up and floods very nicely.

The Double Fine bundle on sale right now is a big win all around...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:03 pm 
A Bad Person

Okay so I might, MIGHT be buying CODBLOPS. Only because the sequel takes place in the future, and god knows I don't want to get into the second game without playing the first. And Spec Ops: The Line is 33% off. Limbo is fun and short and totally worth $2.49! It's dark and almost depressing despite being the cute look of the main character. And if you're really, really into trains, I guess Train Simulator 2012 for $3.49 is a steal. It'll only cost you another $1030 and some change for the rest of the game though. I'm unreasonably upset that Ticket to Ride in today's indie bundle is not discounted at all. MBM was hoping to destroy me in some trains but I guess we'll be doing it for full price.

In flash sales, DNF is $5. It's worth playing to see the outcome of 15 years of shoddy development. And Binary Domain seems fun, I'm about 30 minutes into it and it's a lot like Gears of War, except Japanese.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:35 pm 
Chip Strong

I'm kind of interested in Spec Ops, but realistically I can't imagine I'll be playing even 1/3 of the games I've bought so far before the end of the year, and with Borderlands 2 coming in a couple of months, and knowing I'll be sinking insane amounts of time into that, I've managed to hold off for the first time this entire sale!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:46 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I'm gonna drop 10 bucks on Train Sim 2012 and the US pack, and maybe a couple of other maps. The $49.99 bundle isn't bad, but a bit much for something I'm just going to mess with when I'm sleepy or want to kind of play video games and entertain the boy without blowing stuff up. 10 bucks, though, is probably fine.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:24 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

So it's looking like the new killing floor female character isn't going to be available unless you go to retailers and buy the 30$ gold edition.

Since I couldn't register for the tripwire forms, I sent them this e-mail both commending their addition of female characters (finally) and complaining about my inability to get it:

Quote:
"Hey,

A bunch of my friends and I were super excited to hear you finally providing female character mod DLC. We've been playing killing floor for years and with each new DLC all character models have been male. We were beyond ecstatic to finally see ourselves represented within the game and the community which we've been playing since the release.

Sadly, this new model is not going to be available for us veteran players to purchase or download without seeking the game in retail. Most of us Play on Steam and have enjoyed killing floor for years, so while we commend you for finally providing us with a female character I was extremely disappointed to learn I won't be able to actually purchase this long awaited character.

I would like to encourage you to create further DLC with female characters and make them accessible to your fans and customers with double X chromosomes.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:45 pm 
WRETCHED

I bought Limbo and Dear Esther.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:51 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I haven't bought the indie bundle because I want Ticket To Ride, but I have Trauma and want none of the other games. I wish I could buy the pack and gift the rest of the games around.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:23 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I just bought Train Sim 2012 and the Amtrak Acela package. I guess I'll see how it is... That's TEN GIG of TRAIN crepe. Man.

Also, Splice is pretty but pretty much incomprehensible. I kind of want to discourage people from buying it because it's so oblique, but it's very pretty.

Botanicula is REALLY COOL. And very pretty.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:44 pm 
WRETCHED

I'm not sure there is anything we'd buy today. The only thing we'd probably pick up if we didn't have it was Super Meat Boy.

Some of the other games look like they have some really good reviews though like Thief, L.A. Noire, Stalker and Total War.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:34 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Thief 3 is an embarassment to the series, barring the TOTALLY BRILLIANT "Shalebridge Cradle" level. (Aside from that, dumbed down for console, missing the point of Thief pretty much entirely, weirdly tiny levels, considering how HUGE the maps in Thief 1 and 2 were, a poorly-implemented city hub, and so on.)

Here is something about it: http://gillen.cream.org/wordpress_html/assorted-essays/journey-into-the-cradle/

STALKER: Call of Pripyat is the best-developed of the 3 games. They got all the mechanics and stuff pretty much sorted out, and there are some fantastic bits in there. If you were to play just one STALKER game, well, you should probably start with the first one, but Call of Pripyat is great too.

The Carpe Fulgur games are pretty good too-- Recettear is a fun reversal of the usual fantasy adventure game roles wherein you play a shopkeeper selling stuff to adventurers.

Of the Indie Bundle, Avadon is a Spiderweb Software game, a single developer who has made some pretty fantastic isometric RPGs. He's pretty much the only guy being THAT old-school out there, and from what I've heard he's very good at it.

My brother likes the Total War games, and I trust his recommendations for strategy games like that.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:35 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

omigosh I was so excited to see the thief games on steam. I'd been pirating them for years (well, primarily thief 2 since it's the best) but had to constantly go into the script files and fix things so the games would run properly on my newer computers. Glad I can finally buy a legit copy of the games that should be fixed up to work on newer machines for me :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:38 pm 
Chip Strong

Eudemonia wrote:
Glad I can finally buy a legit copy of the games that should be fixed up to work on newer machines for me :D

If they're anything like the first couple Fallout games on Steam, you'll still have to apply some patches and mods.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:08 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Imitation Of Chris wrote:
If they're anything like the first couple Fallout games on Steam, you'll still have to apply some patches and mods.

Well, the most important "fix" for the thief games was knowing how to stop them from insta-crashing and was also relatively easy (they don't know how to handle a processor with multiple cores so you have to remember to set the affinity to only one core every time you play the game). The other issues were mostly to do with the game looking for obsolete codecs and having trouble playing in-game cut scenes, so I could either play with the scripts for hours until I figured it out or just exit the game to watch the cut scenes. Either way, legit copies are better now that I have a grown up job and can afford things.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:17 pm 
Chip Strong

Eudemonia wrote:
Imitation Of Chris wrote:

Well, the most important "fix" for the thief games was knowing how to stop them from insta-crashing and was also relatively easy (they don't know how to handle a processor with multiple cores so you have to remember to set the affinity to only one core every time you play the game). The other issues were mostly to do with the game looking for obsolete codecs and having trouble playing in-game cut scenes, so I could either play with the scripts for hours until I figured it out or just exit the game to watch the cut scenes. Either way, legit copies are better now that I have a grown up job and can afford things.

Cut scenes and dialogue screens were the big issues with FO, too. Gameplay was actually okay.
Oh, just found this: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... ?t=2714211
Sounds like a lot of the issues have been (mostly) fixed.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:37 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

mrsbadmouth wrote:
I haven't bought the indie bundle because I want Ticket To Ride, but I have Trauma and want none of the other games. I wish I could buy the pack and gift the rest of the games around.

Same. I wanted trauma and ticket, and I had one or two other games. I bought the pack anyway cause ticket was the same outside of the pack and the whole pack it self.

Sadly it turns out I'd already bought trauma last sale and forgot. URG. Either way, I'm looking at it getting 2 free games I wouldn't have bought that might turn out to be fun.

Currently playing the Sale waiting game. Trying to time it so my daily sales from yesterday, and the two flash deals I want can hang out together until the other 3 flash sales kick over to see if there is something else I want.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:55 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Also if you like rogue likes or hilarious humour, get dungeons of dredmor so good.

There is a good first time through review here:

Also get the Expansion, it allows female character and new skill trees one of which is VEGANISM.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:24 pm 
WRETCHED

I'm not sure there are any buys for us today but having said that, there are some good deals.

Within the Indiepack, we own 2 of the 4 games. Demolition, Inc is $3.39 and on my husband's want list so I'll have to ask him about that later.

Longest Journey for $2.49 (community choice game). I am not the biggest fan of adventure type games but I played this a few years ago and think it is definitely one of the better adventure games out there. I'd recommend it.

Plants vs Zombies for $2.49. This is such a cute game. I know my husband has played it tons.

Amnesia for $4.99. My husband is playing this now. It looks like an awesome game, I'd totally recommend it.

Fallout: New Vegas for $4.99. I don't have this but have one of the other Fallout games and thought it was fun even if it isn't my normal type game. Definitely worth a look.

The Witcher 2 for $15.99. Normally I don't look at games that are more than $10 but this looks to be a good deal. I have the original Witcher which I didn't finish due to distractions but thought it was interesting. Definitely worth a look.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:28 pm 
Chip Strong

I really like New Vegas. It does a good job balancing the open world with an actual story and interesting factions. Every time I try to play Fallout 3 I get bored after 2 hours because nothing really grabs me. The big downside to New Vegas is that it crashes a lot - so spam quicksaves and save before going through any doors.
The Witcher 2 is pretty great. I got it off GOG ages ago but ended up playing the X-Box version because my PC at the time was not up to snuff. I'm really looking forward to a second playthrough and with the way the story's set up, there's a lot of encouragement to play more than once. The sex scenes are totally ridiculous (they go full frontal with the women and Geralt never even strips to his underwear), but at least less offensive than the sex cards in the first game and really easy to just ignore.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:35 pm 

The only thing I hate about these two-a-year big sales is that it's hard to get excited when you own 90% of the games that go up (excluding the ones you don't want at all). Like who the hell DOESN'T have PvZ?

I was thinking about getting the Jurassic Park game and then I saw the metascore and how many bad reviews it had.

Also when is the Saw game going to go up as a daily deal/flash sale? I KNOW that's shitty, but I want to play it, but it's still $10.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:22 pm 

I don't know what other thread I could repost this in where people would know or care who i'm talking about: I GOT RETWEETED BY AL LOWE, I GOT RETWEETED BY AL LOWE, FA LA LA LA LA LA LA!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:41 pm 
A Bad Person

I am definitely seconding and thirding Fallout: New Vegas. Half of the DLC is awesome, the other half is okay. I tried going back to Fallout 3 after FNV and I couldn't because the improvements made in New Vegas were sooo much better than Fallout 3.

And The Witcher 2!!!! I should point out that you can get both Witcher games from GOG.com for $17 http://www.gog.com/en/promo/the_witcher ... em__promo/ And they're DRM free. They're both amazing.

Alan Wake is totally fantastic. I've mentioned it before when it was on flash sale. GET IT

Galactic Civilizations 2 is on flash sale right now, and totally worth $5 if you're into 4X games like Master of Orion. It's really, really good!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:44 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Indie Bundle IX is all winners (with the possible exception of Capsized, which I just haven't played yet although I apparently own it).

Zeno Clash for 3 bucks is awesome.

12 bucks for Crysis 2 is okay.

DX:HR is quite good, and at $7.50 will give you some good stealthy shooty fun times.

Far Cry 2 for $2.50 is fantastic. That game definitely has some flaws, but it's an interesting examination of that sort of African war and stuff going on around it, and violence in general. From that article I posted the other day: "Here the enemies roll around and cry for their mothers after you've shot them. The game never comments on what you're doing — not internally, not externally — and so you're a monster, mostly, that does monstrous things. All the while the game just stares back at you with lidless, reptilian eyes. It doesn't care how you feel." Plus you get to drive jeeps with grenade launchers through tiny towns laying waste to buildings and stuff. It's BEAUTIFUL, and if you pay attention you'll see things like wild deer running alongside your jeep as you motor through the veldt. I liked it at full price, and for $2.50 it's hours and hours of exploration and stuff and definitely worth your time.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:50 pm 
A Bad Person

Capsized is fun! It's arcadey. Looks like a Metroidvania but it's not, it's very level based and score based. And definitely, the whole Indie Bundle IX is amazing. It's clearly the best one yet!

And, for sure, Deus Ex: Human Revolution is amazing for $7.49! One of my friends compared it to a more coherent Metal Gear Solid, which I can agree with. I definitely got MGS feelings from it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1402 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 57  Next