| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan nail polish brands
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:59 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

If you find Color Mates those are repackaged Diamond polishes. My Big Lots usually has three packs for $2. Otherwise I don't know that I've ever seen Diamond out in the wild, I had to order from their website, but they shipped super fast.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:38 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Diamond Cosmetics out in the wild *giggle*

Hm, never heard of or saw Color Mates. I only checked Big Lots once for nail polish a couple of months ago and it was a bust or so I thought. But I'll look again and I'm definitely going to place regular orders w/ DC online.

Now if only I hadn't imposed this ridiculous "no-buy July" on myself...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:23 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

jessilikewhoa wrote:
If you find Color Mates those are repackaged Diamond polishes. My Big Lots usually has three packs for $2. Otherwise I don't know that I've ever seen Diamond out in the wild, I had to order from their website, but they shipped super fast.

Good to know! I can't remember the names, but I always see random brands in Big Lots and wonder if they're vegan.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:11 am 
Nailed to the V

Does anyone know (about) Catrice? Their website states they don't test but are they owned by one of the evil ones or are they full of beetles?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:26 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

When I compiled this list I missed a lot of brands from outside the US, because I'm US based. Catrice is one of the brands I missed. If you'd like I can try to contact Catrice, or if you wanted to contact them but needed an idea what to say the form letter I send to companies was posted upthread.

If you do contact them, please let us know what they say! It's always great to have more brands available, especially outside the US because this list tends so much toward US brands.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:28 am 
Nailed to the V

Oh, I had no idea they were European. I will shoot them an email! Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:20 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

I have slightly shitty Barry M news. I noticed a couple of weeks ago that a whole load of polishes & the mascaras weren't labelled as vegan on the new website so I emailed to see if it was an ingredient thing or a new website fuckup. I got no response so I emailed again. Still no response but I noticed yesterday that all the mascaras, nail paints & glitter nail paints that I asked about in my email now have the vegan symbol next to them again. The bad part is that the shatter nail effects & the foil nail effects are still no longer labelled as vegan, they were on the old site & I bought 4 of them so I'm getting pretty annoyed. I emailed again but I'm not holding out much hope for a response!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:39 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

unsure if they were vegan to begin with, but i just read on one of my favorite beauty blogs that revlon has acquired nail polish brands pure ice and bon bons.

link: http://nouveaucheap.blogspot.com/2012/0 ... u+Cheap%29

(i also posted this in the "bad news about revlon brands" thread, but felt it was appropriate here, too)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:45 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Does anyone read Scrangie's blog?mshe just posted a review of a new Australian brand that is apparently vegan and cruelty free: Pretty Serious Cosmetics. They look nice and I love the names!

Www.scrangie.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:57 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I just got my order in from Pretty Serious today, I ordered a polish and a lip gloss and they're both awesome. The got to Chicago from Australia in 14 days, which is nice. Kaz who runs the company is super nice too, and has the best nail blog ever full of swatches of vintage polishes from the 90s from all over the world.

eta to clarify, she doesn't only swatch vintage polishes, but that's my favorite part of her blog.
http://pretty-random.com/ is her blog

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:20 am 
Nailed to the V

ok, so Catrice and essence (both owned by Cosnova) do not test on animals BUT do not give detailed information on their ingredients. so, I'd file them under no.

Benecos and Sante can be added to the list, though.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:57 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Essence has a full ingredient list on their site for every product, it's a pdf. But the nail polishes have different ingredients for different colors, and some lists may contain carmine and some don't, so it's too tedious for me to even bother with their polishes.

I've never seen benecos before, but Sante isn't vegan according to ingredient lists I'm seeing, they list CI 75470 as a may contain, and that's carmine.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:03 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

jessilikewhoa wrote:
too tedious for me to even bother

I feel this way about most stuff. There are so many products, if it takes me more than a few minutes to figure out if your stuff is vegan or not, i'm moving on. You want my money, you need to do some of the work!

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:17 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

mrsbadmouth wrote:
jessilikewhoa wrote:
too tedious for me to even bother

I feel this way about most stuff. There are so many products, if it takes me more than a few minutes to figure out if your stuff is vegan or not, i'm moving on. You want my money, you need to do some of the work!

You could have stopped at "I feel this way about most stuff" and I would have agreed. Not just about makeup, but life in general. I wish that we had more companies in the US labeling what is and isn't vegan, like I hear happens a lot more often in the UK. Also I wish people would stop putting dairy/eggs in all the meat free meals. I was so excited when I saw the Gardein meals from Lean Cuisine, and but they all have dairy, and then the new Lightlife meals, also not vegan. I just want to sit at my desk eating frozen dinners buying clearly marked vegan cosmetics online. Is that so wrong?

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:02 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

http://www.etsy.com/shop/takkolacquer

Really cool looking vegan polish on etsy!

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:47 am 
Ninja Master

Before I email them, anyone have any knowledge about Ciaté? Their website says they're cruelty free but there's no ingredients lists that I can see.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:18 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I emailed them and never heard back, Sephora has ingredients listed, but that list doesn't include colorants. I saw an ingredient list once, I think on the UK Ciate site, or a UK retailer site? I dunno, it was a long time ago, but I remember it looked ok, but then the website went down, so I couldn't check again, and I forgot what site it was. So if I were you I would double check rather than take me for my word.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:43 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Is this list going to be continually updated? I have seen some other threads with different products mentioned that have not been added to this list, and this is becoming my GO TO for all my polish purchasing... :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:42 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Are there specific brands you're interested in? I imagine you're referencing the massive nail polish thread, which is where we often discuss new to us brands, but not every polish mentioned is necessarily vegan in that thread, different choices for different people and all that. There have been new brands mentioned there that I don't think have been added to this list, but might be in this thread. I posted the original list here, but don't have mod powers to edit it, and the mods get busy and can't necessarily follow this thread, or the massive nail polish thread post for post.

You're best bet is to just ask in here if there are brands you're interested in, and myself or someone else should have an answer for you. I try to check the PPK at least once a day, so I'm around.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:11 am 
So Totally Yiffy

aaaah ok the no editing thing is where I got a little lost. That makes sense. If nothing else, I have a website that we can use that we can create an editable list we can update as necessary. I can just stick it into a protected area and let you have mod capabilities if we need to and just link it into here somewhere?

Honestly, my biggest thing is making sure ANY products I use are Cruelty free, and if they are Vegan as well, thats just more icing on that cupcake. I would love to ensure all the above but the little mysteries and the like are getting more obscure to keep track of daily.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:59 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

To be honest, I'm not really looking to maintain this list on any other site, but I wouldn't mind in the slightest if you wanted to post it, and add brands as you find out info, or we post them here. I think it would be super cool if you mentioned that the list came from the PPK, but otherwise it's all good to repost as you please.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:07 am 
So Totally Yiffy

lol no I just meant a database to be updated by us... not an actual website outside of here. I meant I HAVE space to post it.. Im sorry that came out wrong :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:22 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Jessi - do you have any info on Bettina? I always see their polish on Let Them Have Polish and their creams looks so good. From their website it looks like they're only avail. in Puerto Rico but you never know!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:55 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I know nothing. Their colors do look cool, but I haven't looked into them because I feel like with cremes and jellies you can usually find similar or identical polishes pretty easily in other brands. I'm more apt to get into emailing/google research mode for glitters, holos, duo/multichromes, and other unique finishes.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:57 am 
Ninja Master

Kitteh wrote:
Jessi - do you have any info on Bettina? I always see their polish on Let Them Have Polish and their creams looks so good. From their website it looks like they're only avail. in Puerto Rico but you never know!

I emailed them ages ago and never heard a thing back.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next