| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: soy curls - yum instead of bleghckk, please
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:37 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Pinko wrote:
Desdemona's blog has a bunch of awesome soy curl recipes. Her fajitas are soooo good!
Thank you! I really think that the trick is to marinate the bejesus out of them in something very flavorful; I also find that heating the marinade helps a lot.
Pinko wrote:
And the VB smoky curls are stupidly simple and so addictive. Yum.
Agreed. They're especially good on a sandwich with spicy slaw.
supercarrot wrote:
would you say you "bake in... the flavor?"
YES!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:12 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Chicki wrote:
I really want to try soy curls. I can't find them in stores locally, so I ordered some on line (Spencer's)

but they were packaged TERRIBLY. I got soy crumbs instead of curls. Grrrr.

Mine too! How frustrating.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:43 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I find that soy curls taste the best when they're sort of salty-sweet, like the Smoky Curls recipe, or maybe doing them teriyaki-style. I say this because adding a little bit of agave/maple syrup/brown sugar/whatever sort of helps caramelize the outside of them, which gives them a scrumptious texture. But generally speaking it helps to marinate them in something other than plain water (veggie broth, or even water with a couple spoonfuls of soy sauce helps). And marinate them for twice as long as the package suggests. Then squeezing the crepe out of them with paper towels when they're draining.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:46 am 
Calls "cavemen" on that

So I recently ordered some soy curls from Spencers, and tried them out last night. OMG. SO FREAKING GOOD.

I made a marinade that I always used for fajitas (usually seitan), based on a taco recipe in Viva Vegan:
1 cup mexican beer
3 chipotle peppers in adobe sauce
Lots of cumin, mexican oregano, chilli powder, and a bunch of lime juice.

I boiled it, then added half a package of soy curls,turned off the heat, let sit for about 1/2 an hour. Then drained and squeezed out all the sauce. I reserved the marinade. Cooked the soy curls in a non-stick pan until crispy, took out of pan, cooked some onions and peppers in oil, then added back the curls + marinade. Cooked it all down, added some more lime juice and they were THE MOST AWESOME FAJITAS EVER.

My omni partner was ok with them. he was not huge on the texture, but said he liked them. I really like the texture. I don't like soft foods, which is why I don't do hommade seitan too often. These had a bit of a bite to them, I liked it. And much easier (and cost comparable) to making seitan.

Going to grab some BBQ sauce from the store (or make some) and try cooking them like that and putting on a baked potato later this week. I am very happy I found a new protein that is cheap and easy to cook.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:27 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I don't really like them except fried. They are SOOOOOO good fried. I basically soak them and then dredge them in my flour seasonings mixture and then fry. They are also pretty okay when smothered, which is basically dredging in flour seasoning and lightly frying in a tiny bit of oil and then adding water until a thick gravy forms. Not the most healthy meals, but tasty ones.

My wee blog:

http://www.mommethree.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:07 pm 
Tofu Pup

I made a bunch of soy curls this week by soaking them, and then sauteing them quickly with some store-bought taco seasoning mix for the fastest, easiest taco night ever. I liked it so much, I made it again the next night.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:38 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I really like them in the recipe from the ppk blog for tofu paprikas, but substitute the soy curls. Using the aforementioned soaking in broth, then squeezing all the liquid out techniques, this is especially delicious.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:33 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I made soy curls last night again! so good. Seriously, these are my new favorite food.

I rehydrated them in some veggie broth with lots of pepper and garlic salt, a bit of BBQ sauce. (boiled the stock, added spices and curls, turned off heat, sat covered for ~30 minutes) then drained/squeezed out liquid (retained liquid)

Cooked them until crispy in a non-stick skillet with cooking spray, then added a bunch of Jack Daniels BBQ Sauce (vegan!) and some more of the liquid. Served with a baked potato and Cool Slaw.

Man, it was great. My partner (omni) was kinda weirded out the first time I made them, but they grew on him and he likes them now! We are going to make BBQ sandwiches next I think, maybe on saturday. Then maybe after that try an asian dish, maybe a 'beef' and broccoli thing.

Funny, the texture was exactly as I remember pulled pork or beef BBQ sandwiches, which I hated. But since this is soy, not meat/gristle/fat etc, I LOOOOVE it. I must be weird.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:59 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

So I just opened my first bag of soy curls, got them from spencers market.
http://spencersmarket.com/invitations/zpqzfa
I soaked them in hot water with some vegetarian bullion cubes and then pressed them into a strainer to get the excess water out.
I used them as I wouldve used chicken in fajitas. They were very good and I have a girl staying with me who is an omni and she ate them and liked them too!
Next time I might try to do a smaller batch on my george foreman grill, really get a good crust on them.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:21 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I had them, very grossly, a few times...

The two tricks that made me love them:
1. Actually *simmer* them in water (with or without flavouring) until they're properly, properly soft.
2. Pop them in a colander to drain & really squeeze all of the liquid out.. then start your recipe as per normal. They won't have a strong weird taste then, and will take on other flavours beautifully.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:48 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

^Very good advice! I do that to my soy curls, too.

I like making soy curls and potatoes with gravy or soy curl adobo (a Filipino dish) with rice.

I really should try making fajitas with them soon...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:01 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

mattomic wrote:
The two tricks that made me love them:
1. Actually *simmer* them in water (with or without flavouring) until they're properly, properly soft.
2. Pop them in a colander to drain & really squeeze all of the liquid out.. then start your recipe as per normal. They won't have a strong weird taste then, and will take on other flavours beautifully.

Yep, I do this too! I try to let them soak for about 30 minutes as well. but even 10 will work. Just add lots of spices.

Oh, I tried this recipe last week
http://veganyumyum.com/2008/05/sesame-s ... nd-quinoa/

I soaked in hot veggie broth with a bit of tamari and sesame oil in there.

It was really really REALLY good. Omni partner loved it. He has officially declared that he likes soy curls, and wants me to make them often.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:39 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

last night i squeezed them out, fried them with earth balance and then drizzled on some franks red hot and THEN put them on a pizza with caramelized onions, roasted red peppers, mushrooms and spinach. and daiya. it was divine.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:07 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

supercarrot wrote:
last night i squeezed them out, fried them with earth balance and then drizzled on some franks red hot and THEN put them on a pizza with caramelized onions, roasted red peppers, mushrooms and spinach. and daiya. it was divine.

damn, that sounds awesome! i'm totally going to try this out on pizza too - thanks, supercarrot!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:24 pm 

no prob. (it was unclegramps' idea)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:03 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

supercarrot wrote:

that sounds *AMAZING*!!! Great idea.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:40 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

supercarrot wrote:

mmmm.... do you deliver?!

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:29 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

resurrecting this thread to ask a question......

i'm interested in the jerk seitan recipe from VwAV on page 159, i would like to sub soy curls

my concern is that after i rehydrate the soy curls and squeeze all the water/broth out, that the soy curls will just soak up all the marinade and i won't have any remaining marinade to cook with. this may be why the original recipe calls for seitan because i read somewhere that seitan doesn't suck up marinades as well as tofu since it isn't so spongy.

should i marinate the soy curls like they are seitan or should i maybe just cook the soy curls until they get nice and browned and then pour in all the marinade? of course i wouldn't be baking in the flavor if i did that....

any advice appreciated!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:28 am 

the flavor still gets baked in if you brown them first.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:06 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

so..... rehydrate.... squeeze out all excess water/broth..... brown in skillet.... dump in marinade?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:07 am 

and keep cooking to then bake in the flavor.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:44 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

agreed, baking in the flavor is of upmost importance. cookbook authors really need to stress that more ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:02 pm 
Saggy Butt

Desdemona wrote:
Pinko wrote:
Desdemona's blog has a bunch of awesome soy curl recipes.
Thank you! I really think that the trick is to marinate the bejesus out of them in something very flavorful; I also find that heating the marinade helps a lot.

Desdemona! I've had this link flagged for over a year already, but FINALLY got around to making General Desdemona's Sesame Orange Soy Curls this afternoon.

WOWOWOW. These are INCREDIBLE! So satisfying and rich, so reminiscent of big & yummy plates of Chinese food, so decadent, so simple and pantry-friendly. I particularly love how the soaking liquid is re-purposed into the luscious, sweet glaze, rather than discarded as with other recipes.

Thank you for the ingenuity! ♥

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:04 pm 
Tofu Pup

Delurking to say that I made soy curls for the first time to use in Isa's Orange Sticky Chicky stir-fry (which is amazing). They were really tasty! I soaked them in broth/soy/ginger/mirin and then squeezed the ever-living daylights out of them. However, the soy curls really stuck to the bottom of my frying pan and so they didn't really crisp up since the crispy bits stayed in the pan. Could it be that I didn't use enough oil in the pan? I used about a tablespoon, maybe a bit more, of canola oil.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:22 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i find that happens to me a lot, Marijka. if you're okay with a bunch of oil, i usually pour enough canola oil in my cast iron skillet to coat the bottom. then i use medium-high heat and add the soy curls once the oil is up to temperature. move 'em around often (i turn and move them a bunch until golden brown) and i take them out and put them on a plate that has a couple of paper towels on it - this way they're sitting on something to absorb a bit of the extra oil and i can dab them with another paper towel if i choose to do so.