| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: "homeopathic" medicine. what the fizzle!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:49 pm 
Offline
Baking In The Flavor
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 28, 2012 8:18 pm
Posts: 175
Location: philly/nj
So I was just researching the strange un-pronounceable ingredients in the homeopathic medicine my doctor prescribed me and found out that it contains... yes get ready for this.. pig placenta and pig skin.

Oh but because it's homeopathic it's just a tincture, so it's like a microscopic amount. *eyeroll*

What's with homeopathic medicine? It either has lactose, or pig skin, or god knows what in it. Buyer beware.

(this doctor was 100% aware I was vegan btw. thanks man!)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "homeopathic" medicine. what the fizzle!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:02 am 
Offline
***LIES!!!***
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:10 pm
Posts: 3779
Uh, what kind of doctor is this? Homeopathic stuff is not medicine and has no effect (beyond the effect just taking a sugar pill or drinking water would have), so luckily you can easily avoid ingesting any pig, no matter how microscopic.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "homeopathic" medicine. what the fizzle!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:06 am 
Offline
Baking In The Flavor
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 28, 2012 8:18 pm
Posts: 175
Location: philly/nj
He's a regular MD that takes a holistic/homeopathic approach.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "homeopathic" medicine. what the fizzle!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:12 am 
Offline
Dr Bronners, MD
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:58 pm
Posts: 4718
Location: Santa Cruz whoop whoop
Soooo he is a doctor who likes giving people placebos? Well, that's cool I suppose. I'd find a new doctor, because this one is dishonest.

_________________
"Trolling an internet message board, The Greatest Activism Of All." - pandacookie
Вы такие сексапильные, когда злитесь


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "homeopathic" medicine. what the fizzle!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:41 am 
Offline
Grandfathered In
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:41 pm
Posts: 9586
Location: Seattle
There's probably less than a microscopic amount. There could very well be a zero amount of the supposedly therapeutic ingredients.

_________________
Did somebody say Keep on rockin?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "homeopathic" medicine. what the fizzle!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:28 am 
Offline
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:41 am
Posts: 7511
Location: Portland
Homeopathy is undiluted bunkum. If your doctor is prescribing homeopathic, as opposed to holistic or herbal, remedies, it's time to see a new doctor, preferably one who is less willing to blow smoke up your asparagus.

_________________
If you spit on my food I will blow your forking head off, you filthy shitdog. - Mumbles
Don't you know that vegan meat is the gateway drug to chicken addiction? Because GMO and trans-fats. - kaerlighed


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "homeopathic" medicine. what the fizzle!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:41 am 
Offline
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:39 pm
Posts: 4044
Location: the Eug
jordanpattern wrote:
Homeopathy is undiluted bunkum. If your doctor is prescribing homeopathic, as opposed to holistic or herbal, remedies, it's time to see a new doctor, preferably one who is less willing to blow smoke up your asparagus.


I was going to say... I make tinctures all the time (herbalist) and never add pig bits. There is just no reason. It should be alcohol and plant matter and nothing else.

_________________
Don't mind my breasts and vagina, I'm a gay man.---Idatetatooedguys.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "homeopathic" medicine. what the fizzle!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:29 pm 
Offline
Making Threats to Punks Again
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:00 pm
Posts: 1105
Location: Sweden
jordanpattern wrote:
Homeopathy is undiluted bunkum. If your doctor is prescribing homeopathic, as opposed to holistic or herbal, remedies, it's time to see a new doctor, preferably one who is less willing to blow smoke up your asparagus.

This. I will see doctors who will pull these kinds of feel-good placebo stunts on the side for routine stuff (blood work, vaccines, etc.). It's irritatingly common in Germany, and some insurers will actually cover it. However, I am also in a position to recognize when I'm being offered something that doesn't work and refuse it. Your average person may not be, and misleading patients is not ok.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "homeopathic" medicine. what the fizzle!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:33 pm 
Offline
Dr Bronners, MD
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:58 pm
Posts: 4718
Location: Santa Cruz whoop whoop
kfad wrote:
It should be alcohol and plant matter and nothing else.


I wouldn't mind a bit of alcohol and plant matter, if you know what I mean.

_________________
"Trolling an internet message board, The Greatest Activism Of All." - pandacookie
Вы такие сексапильные, когда злитесь


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "homeopathic" medicine. what the fizzle!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:38 pm 
Offline
Drinks Wild Tofurkey
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:17 pm
Posts: 2821
Location: Boston, MA
solipsistnation wrote:
kfad wrote:
It should be alcohol and plant matter and nothing else.


I wouldn't mind a bit of alcohol and plant matter, if you know what I mean.

alcohol and plant matter is all I eat.

_________________
"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "homeopathic" medicine. what the fizzle!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:21 pm 
Offline
Huffs Nutritional Yeast
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:36 am
Posts: 121
kfad wrote:
jordanpattern wrote:
Homeopathy is undiluted bunkum. If your doctor is prescribing homeopathic, as opposed to holistic or herbal, remedies, it's time to see a new doctor, preferably one who is less willing to blow smoke up your asparagus.


I was going to say... I make tinctures all the time (herbalist) and never add pig bits. There is just no reason. It should be alcohol and plant matter and nothing else.

Homeopathy =/= herbalism. Herbal tinctures and other remedies actually contain some amount of the herb being used. Homeopathic remedies are diluted so much that no molecules of the original ingredients are left, but the water is supposed to contain the "vibrations" of the original ingredients. For example, a homeopathic remedy of 6C potency means 1 part ingredient has been diluted over and over again with a total of 1,000,000,000,000 parts water.

In short, homeopathy is utter crepe, except when it isn't. (This is not a blanket claim that homeopathy works, just that someone found some interesting effects when using arnica.)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "homeopathic" medicine. what the fizzle!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:36 pm 
Offline
Dr Bronners, MD
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:58 pm
Posts: 4718
Location: Santa Cruz whoop whoop
Lidwiz wrote:
In short, homeopathy is utter crepe, except when it isn't. (This is not a blanket claim that homeopathy works, just that someone found some interesting effects when using arnica.)


Nope, still crepe. Check the top couple of comments-- no control group, small sample size, not very scientific, and I am deeply skeptical of the journal in which it was published. Plus using an herb normally used to help with bruising homeopathically should, uh, do the opposite, right? Because that's how homeopathy supposedly works?

_________________
"Trolling an internet message board, The Greatest Activism Of All." - pandacookie
Вы такие сексапильные, когда злитесь


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "homeopathic" medicine. what the fizzle!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:38 pm 
Offline
Baking In The Flavor
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 28, 2012 8:18 pm
Posts: 175
Location: philly/nj
first of all
Quote:
I wouldn't mind a bit of alcohol and plant matter, if you know what I mean.

I concur.

BUT yeah I'm not seeing this guy anymore. I've been dissatisfied with my previous doctor, and my aunt/uncle recommended this guy because they know I prefer more natural medicine when possible. I've taken herbs previously and I've had mixed results, but when it comes to homeopathic ehhhh. I really should have questioned him further on what exactly it was but I assumed it was just plants! Furthermore, it didnt do shiitake.

I feel so gross now. :( I want to call him and give him a piece of my mind but I need to get bloodwork and I dont want to pay a copay somewhere else blaahhh


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "homeopathic" medicine. what the fizzle!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:20 pm 
Offline
Huffs Nutritional Yeast
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:36 am
Posts: 121
solipsistnation wrote:
Lidwiz wrote:
In short, homeopathy is utter crepe, except when it isn't. (This is not a blanket claim that homeopathy works, just that someone found some interesting effects when using arnica.)


Nope, still crepe. Check the top couple of comments-- no control group, small sample size, not very scientific, and I am deeply skeptical of the journal in which it was published. Plus using an herb normally used to help with bruising homeopathically should, uh, do the opposite, right? Because that's how homeopathy supposedly works?

Oh, sorry. That was the wrong study. I'll have to see if I can find the one I really wanted.

In any case, homeopathy is unvarnished quackery, while herbalism actually does have some benefits. Neither is a substitute for surgery or antibiotics when those are what's needed.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "homeopathic" medicine. what the fizzle!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:56 pm 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:18 pm
Posts: 3561
Location: It's hot. All the time.
Quote:
The fact is that "natural" doesn't inherently mean safe and "chemical" doesn't mean dangerous.

_________________
A whole lot of access and privilege goes into being sanctimonious pricks J-Dub
Dessert is currently a big bowl of sanctimonious, passive aggressive vegan enduced boak. Fezza
You people are way less funny than Pandacookie. Sucks to be you.-interrobang?!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "homeopathic" medicine. what the fizzle!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:04 pm 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:47 pm
Posts: 1868
Location: NC
I think the title of this thread should be changed to:

homeopathic "medicine." what the fizzle!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "homeopathic" medicine. what the fizzle!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:14 pm 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:18 pm
Posts: 3561
Location: It's hot. All the time.
bekki wrote:
I think the title of this thread should be changed to:

homeopathic "medicine." what the fizzle!

Or as I like to call it "Faith Healing."

_________________
A whole lot of access and privilege goes into being sanctimonious pricks J-Dub
Dessert is currently a big bowl of sanctimonious, passive aggressive vegan enduced boak. Fezza
You people are way less funny than Pandacookie. Sucks to be you.-interrobang?!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "homeopathic" medicine. what the fizzle!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:02 am 
Offline
Wears Durian Helmet
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:58 pm
Posts: 830
Location: Hamburg, Germany
I really do wonder that so many people here are so decidedly against the Homeopathic approach. I myself dont believe it's anything else but a Placebo effect, too, but among my colleagues I am in the minority.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "homeopathic" medicine. what the fizzle!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:19 am 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:18 pm
Posts: 3561
Location: It's hot. All the time.
There is simply no evidence that homeopathy works. The theories behind it represent the worst kind of magical thinking and, to be frank, a con job. If a huge pharmaceutical company was selling this crepe, people would be up in arms. Instead, they fork over cash for this nonsense. My issues with them are (a) that people take homeopathic remedies instead of seeking legitimate medical advice and (b) that they charge for this magic which is not really different than laying on of hands.

_________________
A whole lot of access and privilege goes into being sanctimonious pricks J-Dub
Dessert is currently a big bowl of sanctimonious, passive aggressive vegan enduced boak. Fezza
You people are way less funny than Pandacookie. Sucks to be you.-interrobang?!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "homeopathic" medicine. what the fizzle!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:27 am 
Offline
Bathes in Braggs
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:03 am
Posts: 1308
Location: Nova Scotia
jerusha wrote:
I really do wonder that so many people here are so decidedly against the Homeopathic approach. I myself dont believe it's anything else but a Placebo effect, too, but among my colleagues I am in the minority.


Because we are intelligent and prefer science to faith for healing. When you say you "don't believe" it is anything but placebo, that sums it up. It requires belief to work, whereas the antibiotic I took recently for an infected tooth didn't care what I believed about it.

To the OP - Yuch, poor piggies. Good thing you read the details.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "homeopathic" medicine. what the fizzle!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:43 pm 
Offline
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:48 am
Posts: 152
jaine-pie wrote:
So I was just researching the strange un-pronounceable ingredients in the homeopathic medicine my doctor prescribed me and found out that it contains... yes get ready for this.. pig placenta and pig skin.

Oh but because it's homeopathic it's just a tincture, so it's like a microscopic amount. *eyeroll*

What's with homeopathic medicine? It either has lactose, or pig skin, or god knows what in it. Buyer beware.

(this doctor was 100% aware I was vegan btw. thanks man!)


This same thing happened to me! Except she never insisted they were vegan. My Dr. is also a holistic/MD. One of the "remedies" she gave me had shark fin in it. Yea.. I wrote to her asking about it and she gave me the same "microscopic amount... 1/1,000,000,000" or something like that. Fortunately she now knows and stays far from it and checks everything before recommending. More reason to really look into things before I buy them and be specific about what veganism is. Lesson learned on my part.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "homeopathic" medicine. what the fizzle!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:30 pm 
Offline
Not NOT A Furry
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:16 am
Posts: 464
jaine-pie wrote:
So I was just researching the strange un-pronounceable ingredients in the homeopathic medicine my doctor prescribed me and found out that it contains... yes get ready for this.. pig placenta and pig skin.

Oh but because it's homeopathic it's just a tincture, so it's like a microscopic amount. *eyeroll*

What's with homeopathic medicine? It either has lactose, or pig skin, or god knows what in it. Buyer beware.

(this doctor was 100% aware I was vegan btw. thanks man!)


It not a miniscule amount it that there is literally nothing in it other than sugar (sometimes lactose base).

Ive personally written about homeopathy here:Homeopathy, Unethical Quackery

To put it simple, its entirely worthless, its a scam.

...and have I said how much I love the PPK, if only more vegan forums were like this. This thread would have turned out far different on almost any other forum.

_________________
No gods, no masters, no woo, no whey!
Be skeptical not susceptible!
http://skepticalvegan.wordpress.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "homeopathic" medicine. what the fizzle!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:03 pm 
Offline
Baking In The Flavor
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 28, 2012 8:18 pm
Posts: 175
Location: philly/nj
Thanks to everyones replies. I personally lean more towards herbal medicine//food as medicine and I didn't quite realize the major differences between that and homeopathic. I should have definitely checked more into it first, but I honestly thought he would give me a similar treatment as my Aunt (she sees him and takes red rice something for her cholesterol - not homeopathic.)

Thinking about how this "doctor" went on this long tirade about homeopathic medicine makes me kind of want to slap him now. I'm thinking of the appropriateness of calling him to bisque him out, but then again I feel for his trickery.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "homeopathic" medicine. what the fizzle!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:38 pm 
Offline
WELFARIST!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:03 pm
Posts: 5232
Location: Gallifrey
It's really nothing to be ashamed of or anything. You're not a doctor and you should be able to trust your doctor. He's the one who should feel ashamed. It's just good that you realized it was complete bullshiitake before you started using it. Imagine all of the patients that come to him looking for help that will easily get preyed upon if they're not familiar with homeopathy and blindly follow what he says.

_________________
"...anarchists only want to burn cars and punch cops."- nickvicious
"We'll be eating our own words 30 years from now when we're demanding our legislators outlaw aerosol-based cyber dildo-wielding death holograms."- Brian


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "homeopathic" medicine. what the fizzle!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:22 pm 
Offline
Lactose Intolerant...Literally
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:27 pm
Posts: 722
jerusha wrote:
I really do wonder that so many people here are so decidedly against the Homeopathic approach. I myself dont believe it's anything else but a Placebo effect, too, but among my colleagues I am in the minority.


That is one of the things I love about the PPK. We have lots of scientists and skeptics and low tolerance for woo.

_________________
"Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass."
"You know who doesn't care if you're a fat vegan? The animals." Isa


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer