| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hearty Vegan Meals for Monster Appetites
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:16 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Joni also wrote Cozy Inside, and some of the recipes are on her blog. http://justthefood.blogspot.com/p/recipes.html

The e-book is still available here for download:

http://www.lulu.com/shop/joni-marie-new ... 83776.html

bird noises | book of faces

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:19 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i made the beefy cheesy mac the other night and it was really really yummy.
i took one bite and was like "omg it tastes just like hamburger helper" (as the description in the book says) and then i was trying to think if ive ever actually EATEN hamburger helper in my life. i dont think i have.
maybe it reminds me of American Chop Suey that my mom used to make?

i thought the recipe was a bit heavy on oily stuff. a shiitake load of butter to saute then onions then sesame and canola oil in the sauce. i was afraid to use less oil in the sauce, since i had never made it before.

it didnt taste oily though i just was thinking about how much fat i was consuming

it was really good and my omni husband liked it as well

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:21 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I left out the sesame oil when I made the beefy cheesy mac, and reduced the amount of oil and Earth Balance by half. I'm certainly not against using oil or fats in cooking, it just seemed like too much.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:51 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

it still came out ok with reducing the oil that much? since i had never made it before and i wasnt sure how it would affect the sauce to reduce the oil.

im pretty sure i reduced the butter for sauteing by a bit.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:26 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

LisaPunk wrote:
it still came out ok with reducing the oil that much? since i had never made it before and i wasnt sure how it would affect the sauce to reduce the oil.

im pretty sure i reduced the butter for sauteing by a bit.

Yup, it came out fine although the flavor was a little too mustard-y for my taste.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:18 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I've made the beefy cheesy mac quite a few times because it's one of my husband's faves. I've made it with all the oils a few times and last time I kept in the sesame because its important for taste but reduced the oil and margarine a bit and we didn't notice much difference really.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:35 am 
Nailed to the V

like a scant bit, or a like drastically a bit?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:11 am 

Maybe halfed the marge and use 3/4 of the oil?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:14 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

next time we make it i think i will definitely cut back on the oil. i might also do away completely with the butter and use a lil olive oil instead.

will experiment.
thanks for the input. (guess what leftovers i have for lunch today! yum!)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:14 am 
Smuggling Raisins

The beefy mac and cheese or whatever it's called has become one of my staples. Just like Hamburger Helper, but so much better!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:38 pm 
Nailed to the V

LOL you know. I don't think i've ever had hamburger helper.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:23 am 

I don't often need to feed children, let alone omni ones and their extremely omni parents, but I made the French toast dipsticks for breakfast for all of us yesterday and they went down a storm.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:28 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I made the stew-tatouille yesterday. I'm adding it to my meal rotation. It's outta this world!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:10 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I've been going through all my cookbooks writing down titles of recipes to try and I swear I just about wrote out the whole of this book. Awesomeness!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:20 am 
Huffs Nooch

I made a few more recipes from this book!

The scalloped potato pie with caramelized onions was delicious. My only suggestion is to go ahead and caramelize a whole onion instead of 1/2 a cup, because I could barely taste the ones in it.

I also made the graham cracker cake, topped with Dandies. It was gone within 20 minutes of bringing it to my friend's house. It was a little dry, but nothing that a pump of chocolate syrup couldn't fix. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:09 pm 
Saggy Butt

I'm attempting to make the Baked Asparagus with Mushroom Sauce, I;m making the Tofu Sour Cream recipe to use in the sauce, it's finally getting smooth but it's still quite a thick paste.

The plan was to have the asparagus for lunch, but it's now noon and I'm still blitzing the sour cream. It's fairly smooth, is it meant to be slightly gloopy and thick like dairy sour cream is? I'm giving the food processor a break but I'll give it another blitz and will possibly make do after that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:44 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I haven't made nearly enough recipes from this book! I make the PB and OM muffins (peanut butter and orange marmalade) as often as I dare (because I eat all of them). They are so good, and I'd like to think pretty healthy--whole wheat flour and peanut butter is the only fat. The kale bagels are also just fantastic.

Has anyone tried the brioche recipe? I don't have a stand mixer so I haven't tried it, but I'd love to know how it compares to conventional brioche.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:45 pm 
Built this city on rock and roll

It is the best vegan brioche recipe ever! I'd say it is totally like regular brioche. You could also use your food processor to make the dough. That worked great for me.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:15 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Mihl wrote:
It is the best vegan brioche recipe ever! I'd say it is totally like regular brioche. You could also use your food processor to make the dough. That worked great for me.

Oh thanks! I didn't even think of using a food processor!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:38 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Has anyone else had a problem making the hickory smoked breakfast strips? I've followed the directions but I can roll them thin enough to scrape them off the cutting board. I've tried waxed paper but same problem. They bunch up even with the thinnest spatula when I try to scrape them off. I've made a couple of thicker ones but they don't really have a bacon-y texture. I've got a couple pressed in between two sheets of waxed paper in the freezer to see if that makes them easier to remove.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:49 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I made the beefy cheesy mac again yesterday. I've made it so many times and I always forget how forking good and rich and amazing it is. Even though I don't add any oil (except the sesame oil) and only use like 1-2 tablespoons of marge to saute the onion. You can't really go wrong with this recipe in any way. In the past I've used penne instead of macaroni, used homemade tofu and/or cashew sour cream (once I even used plain soy yoghurt) and I've subbed cooked lentils for the TVP. It always comes out delicious. One of my favorite pasta dishes for sure, and I eat a lot of pasta.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:36 am 

Love Child wrote:
I made the beefy cheesy mac again yesterday. I've made it so many times and I always forget how forking good and rich and amazing it is. Even though I don't add any oil (except the sesame oil) and only use like 1-2 tablespoons of marge to saute the onion. You can't really go wrong with this recipe in any way. In the past I've used penne instead of macaroni, used homemade tofu and/or cashew sour cream (once I even used plain soy yoghurt) and I've subbed cooked lentils for the TVP. It always comes out delicious. One of my favorite pasta dishes for sure, and I eat a lot of pasta.

This, exactly, though I'm excited to try lentils now!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:44 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Efcliz wrote:
Love Child wrote:

This, exactly, though I'm excited to try lentils now!

It worked surprisingly well with lentils! Though I still prefer the texture of TVP in this.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:54 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I have no idea what hamburger helper is (except as something that Americans seem to remember from their childhoods!) but I really want to try that beefy cheese mac recipe now! I just got this book for my kindle so am bookmarking stuff like crazy.
So far I've made the egg & bacon breakfast sandwiches and they were insanely delicious! My husband declared it his favourite sandwich of all time! I just now made the sweet salty oats and they are extremely moreish. hopefully they last long enough to make it into the overnight pancakes recipe cause I'm prepping that now!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:02 pm 
Nailed to the V

I have this on loan from the library right now so I am cooking like crazy from it before it needs to be returned.

Made the Pesto, Farro, and Fagioli and it was super delish. Comforting and awesome. The Spicy Chickpeas smell like heaven when they're cooking, taste wonderful, and are quick and easy to boot. I made the Ham-ish Saucisses today, too, and that's a good, solid seitan sausage recipe, too.

Then I made the Peanut Butter Cups. Holy fork! It took all the restraint I had not to eat the whole batch, they're so good. I decided to take the book's suggestion of chopping up some pb cups and putting them in the batter for the peanut butter cupcakes, and they're cooling right now. They smell unbelievable and look incredible. I think this book's destined to go on my wish list now!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next