| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Best Vegan Food in NYC
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:23 am 
Inflexitarian

I'm spending a week in NYC at the end of the month, and I want to pack in as much vegan numminess as possible. We've got reservations at Pure Food & Wine and Candle 79, so I think I've got the fancy stuff covered. I've read through HappyCow and a lot of the old posts here but....

What's the best food cart?
Who has the best pizza?
Best desserts/bakery?
Best breakfast/brunch?
Any unusual "ethnic" food? Where I live I can get all the regular stuff plus ethiopean, vietnamese, tibetan, but I'm guessing NYC has better options!
Any other places I should absolutely not miss?

ETA: Any South American, Carribean, or Cuban places? We can only get generic, non-authentic mexican food around these parts.

Post subject: Re: The Best Vegan Food in NYC
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:33 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

If you do only one thing, go to Lula's for ice cream. I'm serious.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:44 am 
Inflexitarian

Thanks! I want to try some cake batter soft serve sooo bad (used to be obsessed with the Coldstone stuff).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:28 pm 

Cinnamon snail for sure! They post their weekly location schedule on their FB page, usually on Sunday or Monday of that week. I'd go (at least) once for their breakfast and (at least) once for lunch.

For vegan Caribbean food, Strictly Roots in Harlem is really good.

And make sure you have a bagel with tofutti at least once!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:29 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

This is all my opinion, but the best food cart is the NY Dosa cart, usually by NYU outside of Washington Square Park. Vegan lunch on the streets for $5 is hard to beat.

Food Cart? NY Dosa Cart, Cinnamon Snail
Breakfast? I generally eat at home. Can't go wrong with Cinnamon Snail's breakfast though. Also, Peacefood cafe has an impressive menu.
Pizza? Cafe Viva Herbal. There should still be two so depends on your location but downtown one beats uptown by a landslide
Lunch? Wild Ginger, Terri
Desserts? Lula's, Babycakes for gluten-free stuff or Stogo for ice cream and Babycakes cupcakes in one swoop, Atlas Cafe for Vegan Treats, and Peacefood Cafe.
Not to Miss: Lula's, Dun-Well's, Cinnamon Snail
Caribbean? Veggie Castle in Queens! Then Strictly Roots is raved about but I haven't been, seems promising!
Ethnic? Pukk, dude, best (only?) veggie Thai place in the city. Really good. Plus, Hangawi is mad expensive but have really amazing food and drink menus, all Korean veg. Plus you eat barefoot with your food hanging below you, if you're pretty short like me, not a selling point buuuut I digress.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:30 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

And if you're getting low on cash or want to spend the day doing something and want to just fill up, Little Lad's is a good place to go for an inexpensive vegan buffet. Oh, and try S'Mac for lunch at least once. You can get it in the park now, too, and chill out by the birds while eating your lunch.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:51 pm 
Inflexitarian

Yay! Thanks for the recs. This is really helpful.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:26 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

What's the best food cart?
Dosa cart or the falafel from this cart - http://www.yelp.com/biz/kwik-meal-cart-new-york
Cinnamon Snail sounds awesome too but I left nyc before it was there.

Who has the best pizza?
NOT viva herbal. It's good and all, but you have to go to Vinnie's in Brooklyn and possibly Paulie Gee's too.

Best desserts/bakery?
Lula's for ice cream, Champs Family Bakery in brooklyn for baked goods.

Best breakfast/brunch?
Champs has an amazing weekend brunch. (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Champs-Fa ... 5744742042 Drooool)

ETA: Any South American, Carribean, or Cuban places?

Cafecito Bogota (Colombian food)in Greenpoint has two amazing veganizable entrees (just get sans cheese). Also great coffee, wine and sangria.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:07 pm 

Also, if you're into vegan versions of Asian food (lots of fake meat), try Soy and Sake for sushi or Buddha Bodai for Chinese.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:56 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Best desserts/bakery?
Dun-Well Doughnuts and Lula's.

Best breakfast/brunch?
I like the brunch at Champ's. They do a decent version of most typical American brunch fare.

Any other places I should absolutely not miss?
Soy & Sake is very popular. Where else can you get vegan fried chicken, a vegetable tempura roll, and a mint chocolate chip milkshake?!
Hangawi is a really delicious and fun Korean food experience if you have a lot of extra money. Franchia is a slightly cheaper alternative to Hangawi, but not as nice. The kimchi pancakes rule.
Terri is a little little take-out gem if you need a quick bite. Their Buffalo Chicken Sandwich+Kale Chips+Butterfinger Shake=epic meal, and under $20.
Babycakes is great for a quick sweet bite, and it's only a couple blocks from MooShoes. I don't like their cupcakes, but the brownie bites, cookies, and doughnuts are great.
And, I can't help it, but I love Foodswings. I usually order two or three Buffalo drumsticks and some fancy french fries.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:16 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

fauxfrancais wrote:
And if you're getting low on cash or want to spend the day doing something and want to just fill up, Little Lad's is a good place to go for an inexpensive vegan buffet. Oh, and try S'Mac for lunch at least once. You can get it in the park now, too, and chill out by the birds while eating your lunch.

I thought Little Lad's has closed up, but looks like they just moved! Woo!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:10 pm 
Tofu Pup

I keep hoping some of my vegan friends would come and visit so that I could take them around to some of my favorite vegan places.

My NYC vegan dining priorities would be:
- At least one Candle site (though I would recommend Candle Cafe even if you do go to Candle 79. I'm particular to the new West location, because it's way bigger and you can get some wine with dinner!)
- Lula's for ice cream amazingness
- Foodswings for your fast food fix if you head out to Brooklyn
- CINNAMON SNAIL. The world's best food cart, bar none. Don't substitute anything when you order- they have managed to make the most incredible flavor combinations in each sammich!
- Sacred Chow- vegan tapas that are super yummy and if you're around for brunch on the weekend, I am still dreaming about the multigrain waffle with fruit and coconut creme fraiche.
- Dunwell donuts- can be bought at Lula's, Blossom Du Jour, or out in BK at their home base
- Terri- I love the caesar wrap and the banana bread! And people seem to be crazy about the green juice!
- Hangawi- vegan Korean. Great menu and the seating is fun! Recommend reservations and no stinky feet (shoe removal required!) Franchia is its less expensive (by a little) sister, but I had a way way way better dinner at Hangawi

Lower on the priority list:
- Stogo- Lula's will always win to prize for vegan ice cream, but this place is worth a try if you're nearby. Gotta support as much vegan deliciousness as possible!!!
- VP2 (and sister restaurant Red Bamboo)- this is the first veg restaurant I went to and it still holds a place in my heart. It's the old Asian mock meat thing. It's less impressive these days, but the salt and pepper chicken tenders and the peking spare ribs are solid. Wouldn't make it onto my must see list except for the nostalgia factor and a significant other who loves it way more than me.
- Blossom family of restaurants- I went once and it was just ok. It hasn't lured me back yet.

I haven't been to the NY Dosa cart and I'm not well versed in the BK vegan scene (wish I was, seems pretty awesome out there, but I'm from the other side of the Hudson from Manhattan and BK is a trip). I can't recommend them personally, but I have heard amazing things.

If, by chance, you end up in NJ, the town to be in is Rutherford. Rutherford Pancake House is the place for vegan food and Sweet Avenue is the home of NJ's vegan cupcake. These are better known by locals, since Northern NJ is not a huge tourist attraction.

Hope you have an amazing time in NYC!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:31 am 
Inflexitarian

Yay, we're leaving today! So, are NYC bagels generally vegan?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:52 pm 

quark wrote:
Yay, we're leaving today! So, are NYC bagels generally vegan?

I've always assumed so.. who knows what kind of sugar they are using and the egg bagels of course are not, but other than that you should be fine. And almost every bagel place will have multiple varieties of tofu cream cheese.. yum.

hope you have a wonderful visit! Let us know what the food (and other) highlights were for you if you like. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:36 am 
Inflexitarian

Last night we ate at Candle Cafe West, and it was fabulous. Manquark had the bbq plate, which came with this insanely realistic mac n cheese. I ate it and thought "oh crepe, this is actually a veg restaurant, and I just ate cheese...." The waitress had to reassure me:) Manquark eats cheese, and he also thought it was very "convincing." I had one of the specials, a crusted seitan thing over scalloped potatoes in an oyster mushroom gravy. It was to die for, especially the grilled and marinated oyster mushroom. Nomnomnom. Eco-cocktails, seitan chimichurri, and chocolate mousse parfait rounded ou the meal. I didn't love the cocktails, but the appetizer was killer, and the dessert was so decadent.

Had to cancel Candle 79 reservations for tonight because we got last minute tickets to the colbert report (squee!), but we'll be headed there tomorrow. So far, NYC is full of win.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:07 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Quantum Leap has really good veggie and vegan burgers.