| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vegan skin care for old fogeys
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:35 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I wanted to start a thread for older folks like me, who are interested in vegan products for aging skin. I know I'm not the only person over 40 on here, and maybe this will be useful to younger ones too.

I personally don't care about wrinkles or looking 10 years younger, but I'll admit to being bothered by the loss of firmness and dull, dry looking skin now that I am edging closer to 50 (damn I'm old). Here's a few things that I have learned over the years and stuff I use. I would love to hear what other folks are doing & using.

Sun protection - If you do nothing else, using sunscreen regularly may help protect the skin from damaging UVA and UVB rays. Carrying a parasol or umbrella can shield your face & body from the sun too, but I wouldn't rely on it exclusively. Even if you don't care about wrinkles, skin cancer is serious business and can even be deadly. My mom and brother have both had skin cancer; fortunately it was caught and treated in time. Tip: when applying sunscreen to your face, don't forget your neck and upper chest! I've been told I look younger than my age, which I take with a huge grain of salt, but I attribute this to staying out of the sun as much as possible.

Exfoliation - Older skin cells don't turn over as quickly, and exfoliants can help get rid of the layer of dead, dry skin. I don't like manual scrubs because I've read they can be damaging; making microscopic cuts in the skin. I prefer to use chemical peels for exfoliation. Mandelic acid is the mildest of chemical peels and is derived from bitter almonds. I have sensitive skin and can use a mandelic acid peel weekly with only temporary, mild irritation. I don't see noticeable peeling from it but my skin feels smoother, firmer, and looks brighter. Glycolic acid (aka alpha hydroxy) is stronger and is usually made from sugar cane. This was too irritating for me but may be great for those with less sensitive skin. Lactic acid peels are usually derived from cow's milk so booo to that.

Vitamin C - This is an antioxidant that is supposed to improve sun damage, boost the skin's ability to produce collagen, and even out skin tone. When used with sunscreen, vitamin C provides even more protection than sunscreen alone (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8869680). Unfortunately, vitamin C serums can be ridiculously expensive and spoil over time with exposure to oxygen and sunlight. I use Philosophy's turbo C powder which comes in a glass bottle with a measuring spoon. I mix a half scoop each day in my hand with a blob of serum, moisturizer, or sunscreen and spread that all over my face, neck, and upper chest area. The Philosophy C powder is not cheap either but only a tiny amount is needed and it's mixed up fresh each time, which makes it more economical in the long run.

Moisturizer - This won't prevent or cure wrinkles but a good moisturizer helps to protect the skin barrier and relieve dry skin. I use straight up coconut oil on my body in place of lotion, but oil alone is a bit too greasy for my face. I mix a few drops of argan oil with a basic moisturizer to use on my face, and this makes my skin soft without looking like an oil slick. Argan oil is supposed to have anti-wrinkle, anti-inflammatory, and other benefits that may or not be hype, but mostly I like it because it absorbs well. Camellia and jojoba oils are also nice (though jojoba is technically a wax).

If you are someone who doesn't care about anti-aging stuff, that's totally fine! But at least consider using sun protection as part of a long, healthy life. <3

bird noises | book of faces

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Vegan skin care for old fogeys
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:47 pm 
Saggy Butt

Bunniee--- Thank you for this. After ten years of acne and dark, clogged pores, I finally saw a dermatologist. Miraculous healing! If by miracle we mean "antibiotics" and "topical exfoliants." Still, I was thrilled by the results...

...right up until I started getting patches of slight discoloration. I wasn't expecting to have age spots at 27, let alone permanent brown lipliner. I'm trying to think of them as "bonus facial tattoos" until I can get back to the derm and see what to do next...

Solaray sells big ol' bottles of Vitamin C powder. Could that be used like the Philosophy powder? Am I being too optimistic?

Would you say that argan oil absorbs better than jojoba?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:59 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

i'm only 33, and already i have liver spots on my temples. (i worked in a greenhouse, but i guess wearing a hat wasn't effective. also, the tree across the street lost a major limb, so the morning sun had been streaming in for a month before i put a shade up.)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:25 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Rebekah wrote:
Bunniee--- Thank you for this. After ten years of acne and dark, clogged pores, I finally saw a dermatologist. Miraculous healing! If by miracle we mean "antibiotics" and "topical exfoliants." Still, I was thrilled by the results...

...right up until I started getting patches of slight discoloration. I wasn't expecting to have age spots at 27, let alone permanent brown lipliner. I'm trying to think of them as "bonus facial tattoos" until I can get back to the derm and see what to do next...

Solaray sells big ol' bottles of Vitamin C powder. Could that be used like the Philosophy powder? Am I being too optimistic?

Would you say that argan oil absorbs better than jojoba?

The type of vitamin C used in skin care is typically l-ascorbic acid, so if you can find that it will probably work just as well and be cheaper. It's been a while since I used jojoba oil, but argan oil feels lighter to me. It's moisturizing but doesn't feel greasy or make me break out.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:58 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

So, I'm not an "old fogey" but I am concerned with the aging of my eyes! I have under-eye darkness and crow's feet are starting to form, so I've picked up some Devita eye lift cream from White Rabbit Beauty. I've only used it for 4 weeks, but the darkness under my eyes seems to have lightened (but that could be because I've been VERY gently "massaging" them every morning and night). I can't say too much about the crow's feet because they are still in their very early stages but hopefully I can ward them off.

I'm not about to run out of it because you only use a tiny bit each time you apply, but when I do run out, is there a cheaper alternative anyone can recommend?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:35 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I've always used sunscreen religiously. Sun has not hit my face without protection on it since I was 18 years old. I use sunscreen on my body too but between running and biking outdoors and sitting on my balcony often for a few hours every morning in the warm weather working on my writing, I do get some incidental sun, despite always applying 30 SPF before every outing.

I also use a vitamin C oil-free cream. I think it's by Alba Organics.

When I tried Origins' Starting Over anti aging cream (oil free version) I did feel that there was a slight improvement in the look of my skin overall. It just looked more glowing, maybe? It was minor but I did see a difference. I don't find anything works on my wrinkles per se, but they're not very deep or bothersome or anything. I've always been good about nourishing my skin so I don't know what it looks like when it hasn't been taken care of. I also use the Starting Over eye cream and it probably makes a difference but I've been using eye creams for years and am unsure what the result would be if I went without.

I really feel I do my best. Good nutrition, hydration, moisturizing, sunscreen (avoiding the sun where possible), regular exercise, no cigarette smoking, little alcohol, washing my skin daily and getting plenty of sleep. I think yoga is really good for skin. After a kundalini yoga session, especially, the skin on my face looks really poreless, soft and relaxed. I think it's all the breathing exercises related to kundalini, but any yoga, I find, has a beneficial effect on the look of my skin.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:29 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hi guys, I have a great vegan anti-aging skincare to solution to share. Organic Shea butter is a particularly effective moisturizer because contains so many fatty acids, which are needed to retain skin moisture and elasticity. It also contains high levels of vitamins A, E, and F. Vitamin A in organic Shea Butter is important for improving a number of skin conditions, including blemishes, wrinkles, eczema, and dermatitis. The high quantities of Vitamin E in Shea World's unrefined, organic Shea butter should benefit the skin in two ways: First, it increases the microcirculation, which results in increased blood supply to and from the skin. Second, Vitamin E may serve as an anti-free radical agent thereby aiding in preventing the harmful effects of sun and environmental exposure. Shea butter also contains cinnamic acid, a natural protectant against harmful UV rays.

Shea World’s (http://www.sheaworld.com) organic Shea butter is not only great for your skin, but it is a great muscle ache remedy. Shea Butter contains an all-natural substance called Stigma sterol (Anti-Stiffness Factor). Stigma sterol is an unsaturated plant sterol found in Shea World's organic Shea butter. It is also known as the anti-stiffness factor because it has the ability to relax tired muscles and relieve swelling and muscle tension. Rubbing Shea butter on your skin before you begin a workout can really help prevent muscle aches. Not to mention the good skin benefits that will come with it. Post workout, you can rub more organic Shea butter on to combat the pains, stiffness and sore muscles. A great idea is to melt the organic Shea butter until it's comfortably warm, and rub this into your skin, massaging your muscles. Not only does the rich, warm organic Shea butter feel sinfully good, but you can practically kiss those muscle aches goodbye.

Vegan love!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:50 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I just realized that I neglected to mention retinoids in my original post, mostly because I don't have much experience with them. Prescription creams like Retin-A are obviously not vegan since they are tested on animals. Makeup Artists Choice makes a retinol serum that appears to be vegan, and they don't do animal testing (I get my mandelic acid from them). I might give the retinol a try next time I place an order with them.

Also, this site appears to have a lot of good information about skin care:

http://www.smartskincare.com/

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:54 pm 
Hip Goiter

Does anyone recommend Jason's C-effects products? I didn't know about vitamin C being so important and I want to get cracking. All I've heard is vitamin E. Is that equally important or less so?

Laughfrodisiac

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:29 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

RandiJM wrote:
Does anyone recommend Jason's C-effects products? I didn't know about vitamin C being so important and I want to get cracking. All I've heard is vitamin E. Is that equally important or less so?

i used the jason hyper-c serum for a while, and it did seem to help with some acne marks and discoloration around my jaw, but it also made me break out, creating new acne marks and thus nullifying its utility. if you aren't as acne-prone as i am (i am the greasiest), for the price, it seemed to do what it promised.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:44 pm 
Hip Goiter

Thanks, I think I have the same problem as you! Everything makes me break out, and my chin is pretty much my problem spot. Have you found anything that's better?

Laughfrodisiac

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:33 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

no. *pout* but i haven't looked very hard, either. i am lazy pants about beautifying. i just started using moisturizer for the first time in, like, march.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:39 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

i used to use avalon organics' vitamin c toner, and it made my face sticky. not fun. i honestly don't know if it helped much either.

all i know is alba's hibiscus toner is like liquid gold.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:26 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

supercarrot wrote:
i used to use avalon organics' vitamin c toner, and it made my face sticky. not fun. i honestly don't know if it helped much either.

What's the hibiscus toner do for you? I love Thayers Rose Witch Hazel Toner, but I don't think it does much besides smell nice and remove the last traces of dirt & makeup.

I haven't tried the Jason or Avalon vitamin C products, but if they are inexpensive that might be a clue the formula isn't very effective. Vitamin C powder is cheap but stabilizing the formula can be problematic (see here), which is why vitamin C serums tend to be costly. I think Jason also uses ester-c and I haven't seen anything on its effectiveness in skin care.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:12 am 
Cranky

My skin doesn't like JASON stuff very much, but I've used the Avalon Organics C stuff and liked it. I don't usually use toner, but I used the Avalon C toner a loooooong time ago (7 years ago?) and liked it. Usually the serum is the way to go. This time around I got the lotion with SPF. It's ok, but I think other products in the line are more effective.

I've started using a couple of products from Moxie Organix, and I've been really happy with them so far. I'm using the #2 lotion (which isn't the one geared toward aging skin) and the revision serum. At first the serum made me break out, but the second go round with it has been nothing but fantastic.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:48 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i was going to post an update in the other skin thread (not sure where, acne and rosacea?) on how using Oil Cleansing has gone for me but let me throw it here for anyone in a similar boat. I'm allergic to a lot of stuff and have recurrent dermatitis so bad that my derm told me to not use any creams on my skin and a) i'm getting old and i feel all baggy if i don't moisturize and b) it's forking winter here and not using cream is torturous. Also, here I can not get one single product that anyone has mentioned.

first i tried six months using toner instead of moisturizer, and that was passable for summer but didn't cut it for winter. now i've been doing OCM for about 3 months and it's been fantastic. maybe just because i'm doing a soft-washcloth exfoliation every day? i'm using sunflower and about 10-20% castor oil. my skin feels nice and moisturized after doing it, and the steam didn't make the rosacea any worse, surprisingly.
also, before OCM i had been doing deep extraction facials every other month (my skin is oily in parts, and i have papule/pustule rosacea on my cheeks and hormonal breakouts on my jawline). i stopped for financial reasons after starting the OCM and my skin doesn't look any different without them (and i thought they had really made a difference for me). i am really impressed, i never expected it to work so well.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:50 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

bunniee wrote:
supercarrot wrote:

What's the hibiscus toner do for you? I love Thayers Rose Witch Hazel Toner, but I don't think it does much besides smell nice and remove the last traces of dirt & makeup.

i think my breakouts are mostly hormonal. (i get worse around ovulation) and the hibiscus toner helps me not break out as much around then.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:54 am 
Hip Goiter

Does anyone know if BeautiControl is vegan? I saw that it's vegetarian and doesn't test on animals but can't find a straight answer. They have a sunscreen with vitamin C that is fragrance free and I'm intrigued.

Laughfrodisiac

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:03 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

So I discovered a down side to mixing vitamin C powder with a serum or moisturizer directly in the palm of my hand before applying. The skin between my fingers is dry and peeling, just on the one hand. I guess the acidity is too strong for the skin in that area. I'll have to start using a small container for mixing, or wash my hands well after and apply hand lotion.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:38 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I like to make this recipe I copied off makeupalley, I think:

Vitamin C/Ferulic Serum

1/4 tsp l-absorbic acid powder
1/8 tsp ferulic acid powder
1/2 tsp propylene glycol
enough distilled water to make 1 oz.

Except lately I just leave out the ferulic acid since I ran out. I keep it for about a week in the fridge. If you don't want to use propylene glycol you can leave it out but then you have to make it every day or two.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:52 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Quarantined wrote:
I like to make this recipe I copied off makeupalley, I think:

Vitamin C/Ferulic Serum

1/4 tsp l-absorbic acid powder
1/8 tsp ferulic acid powder
1/2 tsp propylene glycol
enough distilled water to make 1 oz.

Except lately I just leave out the ferulic acid since I ran out. I keep it for about a week in the fridge. If you don't want to use propylene glycol you can leave it out but then you have to make it every day or two.

I was hoping someone would post a recipe, thanks! I used to make DIY vitamin C serum with just distilled water, but had difficulty applying it since it was well, watery. It didn't occur to me at the time to try mixing a few drops with moisturizer.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:21 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

bunniee wrote:
I used to make DIY vitamin C serum with just distilled water, but had difficulty applying it since it was well, watery. It didn't occur to me at the time to try mixing a few drops with moisturizer.

that's a good idea. I usually just pour some in my palm and splash it on and massage in before my sunscreen. I know some people like to make the serum with glycerin to make it more spreadable but that's too moisturizing for me usually.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:42 pm 
WRETCHED

I bought come citric acid for cleaning our hot water heater but found that it made my hands smooth. Not sure if it is a good thing or bad thing but I've been exfoliating my face with a little diluted in water on a washcloth.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:25 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

bunniee- what mandelic acid product do you use? I am in the market for a chemical exfoliant.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:15 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

i just picked up some "simple" face wash, and it actually seems to be working. (they're owned by unilever, and because they're worldwide, they need to test in order to sell in certain countries, but they say they are committed to fixing that, and only test the absolute minimum.) i think i'm okay with that. (i wish they would just not sell in those countries. it might be more of a kick in the pants than trying to be diplomatic about it. but i guess it comes down to money.) in any case, they don't use any animal ingredients. (and they've been offering a lot of coupons lately.)

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next