| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: triathlons
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:38 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

4000 feet!!!!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:12 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

lobsteriffic wrote:
4000 feet!!!!

Ooof! Where is your 70.3 race monkeytoes?

Glad to hear your season opener went so well! Have injured (the short head of) my adductor magnus which has stalled the running a bit, couldn't do my half which was sad. Trying to smash it out in the pool and on the bike until it heals now!

I feel like we need to have an obligatory discussion about the whole Lance thing?! I'm not sure what to make of it all. I am 110% against doping but it seems very unfair for past allegations to stop him from racing triathlon now. And watching his career unfold was so exciting! Would've been a great Kona with him in the mix and Chrissie's absence keeping things open for the girls.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:16 am 

Arisaig wrote:
I am lurking here, too, MT. Nice shoes!

I just started swimming again last week after years of none or little. Swimming used to be my main exercise and I taught swimming and was a lifeguard when I was younger. I know a lot of beginning triathletes struggle with swimming so I always knew if I wanted to try tri (ha!) I would be a step ahead. I have been running for about 12 years, sometimes more, sometimes less. I have never raced bikes though I like to ride fast, but I know that like you (katie and MT) the bike will likely be my nemesis.

What has always kept me back has been time and money, but now I have more of both of those, and membership at a pool, so maybe next year.

Katie, you are a demon! I can understand having trouble fitting all that in. You are both an inspiration.

Definitely go for it! You will have a massive upperhand on most beginner triathletes (I remember a statistic that 80% come from a non-swim background or something!), especially as I think the cause of anxiety for most is getting better technically in the water. The bike gets a lot easier the more miles you put in for sure!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:34 pm 
Dead by dawn

Katie wrote:
lobsteriffic wrote:
4000 feet!!!!

Glad to hear your season opener went so well! Have injured (the short head of) my adductor magnus which has stalled the running a bit, couldn't do my half which was sad. Trying to smash it out in the pool and on the bike until it heals now!

I feel like we need to have an obligatory discussion about the whole Lance thing?! I'm not sure what to make of it all. I am 110% against doping but it seems very unfair for past allegations to stop him from racing triathlon now. And watching his career unfold was so exciting! Would've been a great Kona with him in the mix and Chrissie's absence keeping things open for the girls.

It's in Central Washington, so the climbing is into and out of the Columbia River gorge (twice!) I would really rather be doing a flatter course for my first half-Iron, but I got suckered into this one. I'm a month out and nowhere near ready for those climbs. Ooof! is right.

As for Lance, I really feel like they should just drop it already. I mean, maybe he's dirty and maybe he isn't, but he's taken hundreds of drug tests over the years and no one's been able to prove a thing. The Justice Department concluded that they didn't have evidence to charge him with anything and I resent the hell out of the USADA spending my tax money on a witch hunt, especially since they adopt a guilty-until-proven-innocent approach. I respect WTC's decision to stick by their written rules and not let him race (I don't agree, perhaps, but it's their rule and it was there long before Lance Armstrong became an issue.) I had my dollar down on him not winning Kona (although I was waffling after watching him race the Honu 70.3) but that doesn't mean I didn't want to see him give it his best shot. (I wasn't aware that Chrissie Wellington was out... missed that piece of info.)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:08 pm 

monkeytoes wrote:
Katie wrote:
lobsteriffic wrote:
4000 feet!!!!

It's in Central Washington, so the climbing is into and out of the Columbia River gorge (twice!) I would really rather be doing a flatter course for my first half-Iron, but I got suckered into this one. I'm a month out and nowhere near ready for those climbs. Ooof! is right.

As for Lance, I really feel like they should just drop it already. I mean, maybe he's dirty and maybe he isn't, but he's taken hundreds of drug tests over the years and no one's been able to prove a thing. The Justice Department concluded that they didn't have evidence to charge him with anything and I resent the hell out of the USADA spending my tax money on a witch hunt, especially since they adopt a guilty-until-proven-innocent approach. I respect WTC's decision to stick by their written rules and not let him race (I don't agree, perhaps, but it's their rule and it was there long before Lance Armstrong became an issue.) I had my dollar down on him not winning Kona (although I was waffling after watching him race the Honu 70.3) but that doesn't mean I didn't want to see him give it his best shot. (I wasn't aware that Chrissie Wellington was out... missed that piece of info.)

Just google-imaged the Columbia River gorge - looks like a gorgeous place to do such a tough climb!

I had no idea the USADA was govt-owned, I think that makes their approach irk me even more! I also struggle to understand where/how they'll manage to drudge up old evidence to make any sort of substantial case now. I just want to believe that he never doped but can't help but be cynical and wonder if 'everyone was doing it at the time'.
Of course the WTC must stand by their rules, even if it is one of many dumb ones - much like the 8% finish time thing.

And yup as far as I know she's not competing at all this season still! :(
http://www.chrissiewellington.org/lates ... m-ironman/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:20 pm 

Omg my mum also just told me she met him in ~'93 (she thinks she was in Barcelona at a Motorola conference) when he was racing for their pro team. She remembers him as 'the only American, shy, small...and had very short hair'

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:40 am 
Dead by dawn

Ack! I'm thinking of chickening out. Sort of. I'm seriously concerned about the bike leg and how little time I have left to prepare. I might talk to my coach about switching to the Olympic in July (the course is rolling, no huge climbs) and doing my 70.3 at a local race in September (also a rolling course, no huge climbs.) I know my sister will say, "You can't just choose easy courses!" But eff that... a half-Iron isn't "easy" no matter what! 'Sides, she's all hot to trot on Ironman Arizona next year, one of the two full Irons that sell out in a day because... they're the "easy" courses. Maybe I just need Coach B to give me a pep talk...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:53 pm 
Dead by dawn

Well Coach's pep talk basically gave me "permission" to alter my plan. She just said that, whatever race I do, she wants me to have fun and feel confident in myself and my training and if that means making my first foray into 70.3 territory on an easier course I don't have to justify that to anyone. We have a hilly team ride on a WTC course up north next weekend and she just asked that I hold off on deciding until I see how that ride goes.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:52 pm 

How are things going with everyone?!

Lost my mojo a bit with the injury, on top of exam stress, moving house and shitty life things. Even considered dropping out of the London tri. Spent a lovely week in Portugal (sadly without bike!) and am feeling much more strong, happy and positive. Now planning my race diary and getting v. excited (& broke hahah)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:21 pm 
Dead by dawn

Glad you're feeling like you're back on track Katie!

I'm currently en route to what was supposed to have been my A race but will be my B instead. Olympic tomorrow morning! Assuming the weather changes... We're driving through a deluge of biblical proportions, complete with fork lightening. Flash flood warning expires in about 3 hours though, and race day is supposed to be clear and sunny. If I'm the race director, I'm frantic right now!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:29 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

So glad that the PPK has triathletes! I am doing my first sprint tri on August 4th. As many of you have said, swimming is my weakness, I've been taking lessons for the past 3 wks so hopefully that will be beneficial.

Good luck this morning monkeytoes! Can't wait to hear how it went.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:22 pm 
Crazy bat lady

How'd it go, Monkeytoes?

I have lots of questions about sprint triathlons. My friend wants several of us to do one with her for her 40th birthday. I don't own a bike nor wetsuit. Any advice? Is it too much to get into, not knowing if I really want to do it long-term?

I don't know yet what I don't know about this sport; so anything you can tell me would be extremely helpful.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:56 pm 
Dead by dawn

It went pretty OK. 13 minute PR at the Olympic distance and I met my bike goal, which is great because that's by far my biggest challenge. I am basically a craptastic cyclist! Swim was nice (oh man, an underwater bouy line is a gift from the triathlon gods!) I fell apart on the run, though, and missed my overall goal by two minutes and change. My calves were just a solid mass of cramp for the first two miles and I walked a ton, wincing as I went. The second two miles were fair, and I finished reasonably strong. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the day. Lots of work to do in the next 8 weeks until my 70.3!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:03 pm 
Dead by dawn

Kelvia wrote:
How'd it go, Monkeytoes?

I have lots of questions about sprint triathlons. My friend wants several of us to do one with her for her 40th birthday. I don't own a bike nor wetsuit. Any advice? Is it too much to get into, not knowing if I really want to do it long-term?

I don't know yet what I don't know about this sport; so anything you can tell me would be extremely helpful.

I did my first two sprints without a wetsuit. Depending on the water temp, they're not necessary. Definitely nice for the bouyancy (and not, strictly speaking, having to kick) but definitely not a neccesity. The bike (obviously) is going to be your bigger issue. Training on a stationary bike and renting for the race sounds like a recipe for a very disappointing result unless your course is super flat. It's definitely a pricey sport to get into, especially if you don't have a bike. But there are a ton of free or cheap training plans available online, and lots of good info about setting up your transitions and stuff. Get yourself a tri suit, one piece or two is personal preference, but you'll be doing yourself a favor wearing one thing from start to finish. A sprint is a really doable distance for most people. Oh, and get in some open water swimming, for sure. In a wetsuit if you're planning on wearing one. You should be able to rent if you want to go that route.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:25 pm 
Chip Strong

Mucho congratulations on your Olympic MT!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:48 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Ouch about the start of the run, MT, but congratulations on the tri! What is a underwater buoy line and how does it help? I am guessing it guides you to swim straight, which near-sighted me loves the lines in the pool for.

I have had people ask me why I don't do tris (as I am a strong swimmer) but the expense of the bike is a big deal for me.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:17 am 
Dead by dawn

Yeah, the underwater line just helps you stay on course. Some swim courses only have large bouys to mark your turns, and you have to look up every 10 strokes or so to sight. It's super easy to swim off course and waste time and energy. This course had lots of smaller intermediate bouys to make that easier, and a bright orange line maybe 6 feet underwater, stringing them together. I just swam a couple feet to the left of the line so I could see it out the corner of my eye (but not have to fight anyone for position right over the top of it.) I didn't have to look up and interrupt my stroke to sight off the bouys at all, which was great because we were swimming into the rising sun for a huge chunk of that swim.

The bike is definitely the biggest expense, but it's a surpisingly pricey sport. I thought once I had the bike I was over the worst of it but it's really easy to bleed money. Some people definitely can do it on the cheap but it hasn't been my experience! It's why I'm still driving a 13 year old car...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:11 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I agree MT! Triathlon shorts, cycling shoes, etc. It all adds up!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:52 am 
Dead by dawn

Yeah, clothing for five sports (swimming, cycling, running, dryland, and a tri suit/kit to race in,) gym/pool fees, wetsuits (I've had to buy one two seasons in a row,) race fees, travel, fuel (one of my teammates swears she spends more on gu and other training/racing fuel than on regular food when she's Ironman training,) and it goes on and on. Plus I pay for coaching/team membership, which isn't necessary but means the world to me in terms of support, keeping me focused and into this, and the expert input. But I'd infinitely rather say "I'm a triathlete" than "I have a new car." :P

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:28 pm 

That is a serious chunk off your PR monkeytoes well done! Can't wait to hear how you 70.3 goes. Rode 55miles with the local club yesterday and would've cried if I had had to run 1 mile after, let alone 13....

I think the expense of triathlon really limits its accessibility but hiring schemes make it a bit more affordable and are really great if you just want to try the sport out. Sucks all the more when the £100 wetsuit you just bought arrives with a hole in it! All worth it though :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:55 pm 
Dead by dawn

11 days and counting! Eep.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:13 am 
Saggy Butt

Exciting! Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:30 pm 

Just got a '10 days to go' email for my first Olympic eeeeeek. Doing a local sprint tomorrow night to warm up!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:57 pm 
Dead by dawn

Have fun Katie!

T minus 4 days now. I'm a couple days into my taper and I feel good. As early as yesterday I was feeling tired from the relentless training pace, but coach T seems to have known what she was doing. :P I have my pre-race meeting with her tonight to go over pacing, fueling and hydration. And so she can convince me that I'm ready... I don't think she'll let me set a goal time since it's my first stab at the 70.3 distance. But I have a super-secret (and not at all impressive) goal time anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:24 am 

Goooood luck Monkeytoes! Someone else I know is doing a 70.3 this weekend so lots of positive vibes being sent out.

Smashed my sprint pb with 1hr24 even with a super slow swim (lost my goggles so was stuck at the back for the start by the time I found them!) and T1. Very happy!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next