| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 608 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: What did you make for your baby/toddler to eat today?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:57 pm 
Inflexitarian

Lunch day was hilarious. And Guineapiglet enjoyed proving me wrong. As it turns out she will eat multiple types of food in one sitting I guess it just depends on the type. A new vegan bakery and deli opened up in town today so we had some poblano potato salad which she LOVED, she ate it in big handfuls off my plate, she also ripped the lettuce out my sandwich, ate some of the bread and nommed on a tomato slice.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:03 pm 
Semen Strong

GuineaPig wrote:
Hows Leela doing with the o's ? I was thinking of introducing a Cheerios type cereal but wasn't sure if it was too soon yet for her to be able to crunch them up.

We introduced them really early, because they kind of disintegrate into her mouth, like puffs. We did the Cascadian Os, but they have a local kamut and spelt one that I was thinking of using as well... She gets them in the am as a vector for yogurt with probiotics....

I do feel a little thrown by my acupuncturist's recommendations. She said that in Chinese medicine, you don't give babies flour products for 2 years. No bread, no Os, no pasta, because it causes mucus and gums up the sensitive immune system that is developing in the gut.

I think quinoa is fine, but I liked being able to give her tortillas and toast. And of course there is no Western medicine research that says that flour is bad for babies.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:29 pm 
Inflexitarian

We have the little disintegrating puffs but they annoy Guineapiglet a little because they start to melt on her fingers if they're moist do I was thinking of changing to something more sturdy.

As far as the acunpunturist goes that sounds like opinion over scientific fact. Like you said there's nothing in the literature that shows what is bad for babies. The whole gluten free movement has everyone blaming wheat for everything but unless your baby has celiacs of a wheat allergy there's no evidence to say it should be with held, but u already knew that!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:57 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Seriously, acupncture has been proven worthwhile (well, as worthwhile as anything else, which is not that much) for pain management. That's it. Just because they can do that does not mean they have anything valuable to say about diet. As a parallel, how much useful stuff does the usual "western" medicine practitioner have to say about diet?

We gave Malka Os (cascadian) earlyish. She has had a lot of fun learning to control them. Many got spit out in the beginning after she sucked on them for awhile, but now she can eat at least a quarter cup at a sitting with ease. We don't moisten them with anything.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:07 am 
Married to the wolfman

First normal day of our vacation and E had:

Breakfast - toast with EB and nooch, an apricot, blueberries, blackberries, half a banana and a shiitake ton of vanilla soy milk. Why this kid doesn't smell like a delicious parfait, I'll never know.

Snack - over the course of a day, grapes, blueberries, whole wheat crackers, soy milk, brown rice cakes, half a peach soy yogurt

Lunch - slice of toast with hummus, sliced cucumbers and kohlrabi sticks

Dinner - pasta e fagioli with spinach (he wouldn't eat the beans of course), green beans, more cucumber... Noteworthy because he actually ate two green beans and didn't cry about the navy beans touching his pasta.

Pretty great food day for him.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:10 am 
Semen Strong

Breakfast: quinoa toast, peanut butter and banana
Lunch:left over broccoli chowder

Dinner: in keeping with my husband's mania that Leela make no mess while eating, despite the fact that I asked him to please put a lot of spinach in her daiyasidilla, he put in 6 leaves. So she had 2 tortillas glued togther with almost nothing of nutritional value inside. And then when I tried to pull some of the contents together, so she could get a bit more spinach; he was upset, because he had already washed her hands. She didn't enjoy her meal. Seriously, what kind of crasshole thinks "let me give my kid something which will make as little mess for me to cleanup" versus "let me make sure my kid is getting lots of healthy food to grow on." I am going to make sure she gets a good green breakfast in the am.

I just feel like this is going to keep getting harder. Apparently his idea of a good breakfast for her is dry Os and a good dinner is dry tortillas.

Eta:: Ha, thanks Ariann!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:01 am 
Semen Strong

Our energy practitioner's theory (and one shared by many) is that psychologically food is equated with love and emotional nurturance as well as just nutrient values. So as you feed your kid, you're modeling love for her and setting her expectations.

I worry that in being so stingy and controlling, B is setting L up to accept very little/that kind of behavior from a man or woman that she is in partnership with. He has said that she needs to learn discipline, which is why he refuses to let her feed herself until she can do so with no mess. As a result, she stops eating way earlier with him than she does with me, and she'll ask for more, but he won't give it unless she takes it from his spoon in the highchair.

I want her to have joy, so when we eat, we laugh a lot, she can't do any wrong, even if she throws food around, and I try and make her yummy healthy food that we share and eat together. If she is done in the chair and comes and wants more food, I give it to her. I want her to learn to love with joy, abundance and abandon and a lot of enjoyment. Sure its messier, but she is only little once. And running a vaccuum and sponging down surfaces at the back end seems like an easier response than controlling it so tightly.

I try and feed her mindfully, with lots of love. I don't care how messy it gets, as long as she's happy.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:19 am 
Inflexitarian

Ariann you've hit the nail on the head about the most frustrating part of being a registered and liscened dietitian is that you have to hear daily people who are not qualified to do your job, try to do your job that you spent 6 years in school and 1200+ clinical hours perfecting. I would hardly expect someone to trust me as an authority on acupunture just becaus I've had it before and know a little stuff I read or that I could diagnose a kids ear infection just because my kids had one once and i read some stuff about it but that's what people do on nutrition. In states where you have to be liscened it is actually illegal to give nutrition advice. But I digress...as usual :)

All that being said Tofulish your energy practitioner is right on the money with love and emotion being connected to food. I think we see that as vegans all the time when a non-vegan gets so upset that we don't eat meat or dairy and takes offense. I can't think of a culture where food isn't tied to the fabric of who they are as a people. Food tells a story about us. With Americans the story is a lot of what you are experiencing with your husband. Plain o's and a dry tortilla are what a lot of americans would consider a decent meal for a child. I can't even tell you how many times I've seen and heard parents give their kids a bowl of mac and cheese and call it lunch or just chicken fingers and ketchup and call it a meal. Even in our kids meals at restaruants the offerings will be buttered noodles - who eats just noodles with butter on them and calls that a meal? I guess Americans do.

Expecting a child to make no mess while eating is really extreme and nearly impossible. At L's age she doesn't even have comprehension of what a mess is. It's so unfair to her. Food is such a joy and L looks so happy stuffing messy big pieces of broccolli in her face or eating a big coconut berry pop - that is pure joy! Just my two cents but I think you are doing a phenomenal job feeding Leela, it seems like food is an amazing adventure in your house. She's obviously an extremely loved, happy child with parents who cherish her. Now if we could only get him on the same page as you with feeding.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:21 am 
Bathes in Braggs

For lunch yesterday, my child ate all the Indian food in all the land. (Hope none of you were hungry.)

He had a banana, apple with peanut butter, a bit of a TJ's cinnamon roll, and soy milk for breakfast. Totally slept through dinner.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:35 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Would it help if he read the BLW book? My mom had so many questions I lent it to her and it helped her get on board. Now she's a convert and helping me plan meals.

About the o's: I was wanting to avoid the o's, basically because to me they symbolize he SAD diet for babies. Cheerios, chicken nuggets, and Mac and cheese are big ones in my opinion. I know (vegan) options like these can have their place in a good diet, but I want to make sure she is exposed to other stuff and not get into that rut. Maybe I'm being ridiculous with that, but I'm new at this.

Nevertheless, she had o's while we were visiting a friend with a nine month old and liked them okay. It wasn't too much for her (seven months) to handle. They are an easy snack or way to deliver yogurt (thanks for the idea, tofulish).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:27 am 
Inflexitarian

I actually had an unopened box of o's in my cabinet that I forgot was there. She had them this morning plain (she loves yogurt by the spoonful so I didn't see a re.ason to mix them). We had o's, butternut squash sticks and a little scramble. The o's were a big hit. I'm excited for our post-swim class lunch garlic green beans, curry tofu (although I'm thinking of using tempeh, and pablano potato salad)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:32 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Flavabean, that's adorable. I definitely want to try Indian. So far veggie sushi is a hit at restaurants for us. And dumplings.

We tried tempeh helper last night and she loved it. She kinda ignored the pasta but really ate a lot of tempeh. A little bit of broccoli.

Today for lunch I made a bowl with brown rice, steamed kale, and baked tofu and she mostly just ate tofu. Loved bites of cherries I gave her for dessert.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:12 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Great posts tofulish, butternut, and Gunieapig! So true, everything you wrote.

Butternut, I struggle with giving my 17 month old o's every single effing morning. He went through a phase were he would not eat anything. He would literally sit at the table and suck his thumb and not eat one bite. He would not even play with his food. So I was trying everything. I bought the cascadian o's and offered those. He scarfed them down. I was so happy he was eating that I kept giving them to him for about a week. After that I realized I did not want to make a habit out of o's. But, he would not give them up!!! I tried oatmeal, toast, yogurt.....he just screamed and would not eat. Every morning when he wakes up he starts with "cheerios, cheerios, cheerios!!!" So I decided to compromise and put ground hemp, sunflower seeds and a smooshed banana in with the milk (mix of coconut/soy) I even sprinkle oats over the top and add his crushed vitimin. Everyday I struggle with this. I would like to see him eating something else but I really don't want to fight the fight. And it will be a huge fight. Butternut, I don't think you are being crazy, I totally agree. I am not sure if they put crack in those o's but my baby is addicted.

tofulish, as I am sure you know, toddlers are supposed to play with their food. It is part of them exploring and learning about the food and the world around them. I feel so bad that your husband expects her not to make a mess. She is supposed to make a mess, it is what she is meant to do. I also agree with another poster, you feed your baby amazingly and with such thought, love and care. She is only lucky girl.

My boy has had a picky few days. He was doing great for a few weeks but the past few days he will not try anything new and old favorites have been spit out. Ugh! It's like he is just not that hungry these past few days. And he still has not eaten fruit. I took him berry picking and all the kids around him were happily eating blueberries. I thought that would help getting him to try one. NOPE. it has been over 2 months of me offering him fruit 3 meals a day and he still has not put one peice to his lips. Crazy.com.

I need some new ideas!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:19 pm 
Inflexitarian

Bonnie480 although I don't have any advice off the top of my head as I was reading your post I kept thinking "Yay Bonnie!" Yep, you've got a picky eater but it hasn't stopped you from continually offering him new great foods at every opportunity - in the long run that's what's going to be the most important thing. So even if you're feeling crazy just know that you're laying a good foundation. I wish I had some ideas but it's late, my baby missed two of her nap times and therefore I'm exhausted. I'm sure I'll be full of brilliance in the am - but probably not :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:58 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

b: all of the breakfast foods! oatmeal with milk, toast with jam and pb, cheerios with milk
s: more breakfast foods. zucchini muffins (like 3?!!)
l: hummus, french bread, beans (hah), cucumber, couscous and orange juice
s: chocolate soymilk, cheerios with milk (again...)
d: cucumber, avocado, carrot and apple salad with vinagrette, perogies with roasted red pepper sauce (i can't remember the name, it's prepared middle eastern thing)

hmm, we didn't do so great on the fruits front today. and man that kid eats a lot of cheerios.

i'd rather not get into it here, cause i think this is a good place for just sharing menus, not discussing food choices, but i just wanted to say i think that food restrictions are overall magical woo. obviously people have real allergies and intolerances to some foods, and some ingredients are best consumed in smaller quantities, but we are omnivores. we aren't fancy machines programmed to accept only a specific kind of fuel... we have evolved as highly opportunistic eaters and can survive and thrive on the calories from a wide variety of sources. there is NO perfect diet. if there was, we would not have survived as a species that has created niches for itself in a hugely wide variety of environments. from inuit to khao san to dutch farmers to chatham islanders to north american city dwellers... what we require to be healthy is achievable in a number of different ways. anyone who tells me i have to avoid a bunch of specific foods to avoid blocking my chi or whatever is, frankly, full of shiitake. in my opinion.

anyway. did i say before my kid eats a lot of cheerios and maybe two bites per day of something green?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:47 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I'm with littlebird... Re food and your chakras etc.

Today the Emperor had:

Breakfast - slice of toast with EB and nooch, watermelon, blueberries, half a banana, a clementine, vanilla soy milk

Snack - like half a cup of granola, dry, and more blueberries and grapes

Lunch - leftover pasta e fagioli with spinach, followed by more watermelon, then a slice of bread with almond butter

Snack - whole wheat crackers and cucumber with hummus, a clementine, watermelon, a fig bar

Dinner - chickpea-potato-spinach stew with sage, paprika, and lemon.... He actually ate a reasonable portion. Then more sliced cucumbers.

As I was tucking him in for bed, he started whining about how hungry he is. Oh man! Quit it! You literally ate more food than me today.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:18 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Lu (17 months) is so touch and go with foods. One day he loves something, the next day I try to give him the same thing and he looks at me like I'm nuts. Here's what he managed to consume today:

Breakfast- smoothie with strawberries, banana, pineapple, spinach, rice protein, flax oil, soy milk
Snack- nectarine and couple bites of his daddy's Daiya sandwich
Lunch- smoked tofu, coconut milk yogurt, strawberries
Snack- watermelon, a couple organic alphabet cookies, almond milk
Dinner- pasta with olive oil and broccoli which was offered after he refused falafel (he used to love falafel), pear half, soy milk

I think he went for a month where the only thing he would eat for breakfast was peanut butter toast and a banana. Now he rejects both of those, but will scarf a smoothie of any kind or oatmeal with nut butter mixed in. I'm sure by next week that will all change again. The boy loves his fruit, though.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:24 am 
Semen Strong

Thanks for all the kind feedback <3

Brunch yesterday: blueberry banana silver dollar pancakes (loved them! She was cruising around clutching hald a pancake for a while :)):

Dinner: chipotle type burrito - blackbeans, lime and cilantro scented quinoa, daiya and chopped collards with a slathering of guac. She loved it. Banana blueberry frozen fruit pop for dessert bc she is teething.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:46 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

breakfast: rice chex

lunch: banana

dinner: rice and beans with tomatoes. he had a hard time eating it so I put it in a whole wheat wrap for him

snack: bites of my sesame udon noodles and a couple chunks of tofu and cucumber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:32 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Raspberry Swirl wrote:
Lu (17 months) is so touch and go with foods. One day he loves something, the next day I try to give him the same thing and he looks at me like I'm nuts. Here's what he managed to consume today:

Breakfast- smoothie with strawberries, banana, pineapple, spinach, rice protein, flax oil, soy milk
Snack- nectarine and couple bites of his daddy's Daiya sandwich
Lunch- smoked tofu, coconut milk yogurt, strawberries
Snack- watermelon, a couple organic alphabet cookies, almond milk
Dinner- pasta with olive oil and broccoli which was offered after he refused falafel (he used to love falafel), pear half, soy milk

I think he went for a month where the only thing he would eat for breakfast was peanut butter toast and a banana. Now he rejects both of those, but will scarf a smoothie of any kind or oatmeal with nut butter mixed in. I'm sure by next week that will all change again. The boy loves his fruit, though.

Hahahah! Sounds like mine. I have read 2 books on toddler eating and this is normal behavior. It drives me batty too.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:16 pm 

Bonnie480 wrote:
Hahahah! Sounds like mine. I have read 2 books on toddler eating and this is normal behavior. It drives me batty too.

Ah, at least they eat SOMETHING most of the time.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:48 pm 
Semen Strong

We had granola, coconut yogurt and big fat blackberries for breakfast, and snacked on veggies. I kind of failed on lunch, because I was asleep, but made up for it for dinner.

TJ's chickenless tenders and artichoke pesto over Tinkayada rice pasta with a little nooch and EVOO. She LOVED it!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:05 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Breakfast: half a banana, one bite of cinnamon raisin bagel with cream cheez (the rest thrown on floor with disdain)

Snack: applesauce, a few of those salty snap pea crisps

Lunch: piece of quinoa bread with sunflower butter, a bit of peach popscicle

Snack: most of a blueberry amande yogurt (never heard of this stuff until this thread, and boy, does the kid love it)

Dinner: spaghetti and chickpeas with edamame pesto, more quinoa bread with almond butter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:27 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

This morning was a bit of a mess but at some point or another these are things she ate before her nap: zucchini muffin, coconut yogurt, half a peach, o's, some pieces of a vegetable pancake
L: quinoa pasta and peas with noochy sauce, veggie nuggets (she didn't eat the peas or nuggets)
S: happy tot pouch, fruit cremes
D: beet burger, green beans (she only nibbled a little on one of these), baked potato fries

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:15 pm 

Lu loves those chickenless tenders too, Tofulish!

Today's attempt at food (at least some got into his stomach today!)

Breakfast- a few bites of banana and half of my bagel with cream cheeze
Snack- strawberry soy yogurt ("gurt!" he begs)
Lunch- baked beans, hummus on wheat crackers, nectarine, almond milk
Snack- Ella's Kitchen pouch (mango)
Dinner- Trader Joe's chickenless tenders x 2, peas in coconut oil, corn & squash chowder (he ate a little bit of this)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 608 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 25  Next