| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Elimination Communication
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:48 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

My friend told me about EC and I sounds fascinating. Does anyone here had any experience with it?

(forgive me if an EC thread already exists - I did a few searches and couldn't find it)

Post subject: Re: Elimination Communication
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:44 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

my friend did it hardcore with her first, and pretty much only for poops with the second. the first potty trained at 3, the second is a year n a half and still in diapers. i think it seems like a lot of work, but shes almost never had a poopy diaper--which is great since she cloth diapers. id suggest you read up on it and give it a shot when baby comes home from the hospital. essentially its just holding your baby over a bucket when baby wakes up and after baby eats. as baby gets older, baby should still be presented with a potty at these times, but baby should also begin signaling when its time to go. so its cool, and you dont end up with that fear of the potty/fear of not pooping in a diaper that so many toddlers get when trying to train, I just think it takes some dedication.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:17 am 
Bathes in Braggs

i have been doing it part time with my daughter since she was a few weeks old. basically, it's not about potty-training or how many poops you catch, it's about appreciating that even a few day old baby is constantly communicating with their parents about basic bodily functions. parents get really good about reading tired, hungry and pain signals from their baby and doing something about it, this is simply learning your baby's elimination signals and doing something about it, under the premise that a baby wants to sit in their own waste about as much as an adult does. it can take a lot of patience and dedication to do it full-time, especially since our society is very private about waste elimination, so you can get a lot of flack for doing what you would need to do to EC a young baby full-time (peeing in bushes, peeing in a potty in a store, potentially getting pee/poo on yourself or on the floors at home etc). i was out with a couple mom friends at a museum... i saw another mom pottying her tiny baby in the bathroom and thought nothing of it, but goodness, you should have heard my two friends going on about it! i have only pottied my baby in a public washroom a few times... we mostly do our EC at home, and quite a bit less frequently since it got cold. it is something you kind of get into a rhythm about though... when i am really doing it, i offer the second she wakes up, before and after naps, and let her play diaper free for at least a couple hours so i can watch for pooping signs. it cuts down on diaper laundry even at our laziest too.

we have the potty from IKEA. super light, cheap and small, it fits a young baby better than most. for the first few weeks i just held her over the toilet or a small bowl and cued her with a "psss" sound. once she could sit up, i started putting her on the potty and giving her something to play with... i use a toilet hand sign, and have verbal cues for pee and poop. even though we haven't done much serious ECing at all, i still feel like i know her patterns and signals better than i would otherwise.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:35 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

We did a low-key version of EC. Baby lemon is still in diapers and goes through phases where she has no interest in using the potty. I think it really helps kids feel empowered and that using the potty is not so scary/foreign. Cuts down on diapering expenses, too.

We've had good luck with the Baby Bjorn potties. The smaller one is perfect for EC and it's easy to transition to the larger one when needed.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:59 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

We didn't do it, but my mom friend who did has a 20-month-old in big girl underwear, pretty cool.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:53 pm 
Nailed to the V

We did it our daughter from birth. It was easy enough for us to get into the groove with and also made a lot of sense for us because we were cloth diapering and it saved on washing tons of diapers. Our daughter was pretty regular and also quite vocal about when she had to go. Now at almost three she is out of diapers most of the time, she refuses to poo in the potty anymore and will instead retrieve a diaper, either putting it on herself or asking to have it put on.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:45 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

i started it part time, then stopped. it wasn't ec-ing, it was my life- we have moved 3 times since my son (18 months) was born and our last two houses have just been drafty, and i didn't want him to be cold, and the layers weren't condusive to what i was doing, which was offering chances after naps and periodically during the day. He would pee on cue regularly, but i never got a poop. We wish i had figured out how to stick with it, as my son is very aware of his body functions and i feel like if i had stuck with it, he would be taking care of some of it himself now- he loves to simulate peeing and pooping, but doesn't want to do it when i offer the potty. I guess it will happen when he's ready.

Also, i was a peace corps volunteer, and basically everyone in the country we lived in did this and children didn't wear diapers unless they were going out. Children toileted themselves (using small basins instead of outhouses) by 2 and no one freaked about accidents.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 2:33 pm 
Chip Strong

I'm considering doing this with my next baby due in August. Glad to read about your experiences, because I'm really lost how to even get started. Is it best to keep baby in gown-type clothes to make it easier to not have to undress so much? I use pinning cloth diapers (mostly the old standard rectangular ones) and I'm kinda worried about the time it will take to do and undo that quickly enough.

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:13 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

We are doing it very casually. Basically I want grey to associate the bathroom with poops and pees. I take him in whenever I change him and when I go. He has gone in the toilet a few times, but we aren't home too much unless he is napping.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:40 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

We had a poop in the toilet again today. Very exciting. One less cloth diaper to scrape poop out of!

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:42 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Anyone had any luck starting ec later, not on a newborn? I'm thinking about starting a relaxed approach to this but having a hard time convincing my partner.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 5:47 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Oh my god! I just caught my first poop! I started ECing yesterday after work and caught a pee straightaway. Then it just kept working. I've caught more pees than I can count and I think I've convinced my partner that it's not such a wack-a-doodle thing to be doing. Babynut seems to really enjoy it.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 10:41 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I totally never have any idea when Malka is peeing. Do your babies have a pee face or mannerisms you're noticing?

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 3:18 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Ariann wrote:
I totally never have any idea when Malka is peeing. Do your babies have a pee face or mannerisms you're noticing?

I started with an older baby for this (5 months) and I've only been doing it 2 and 1/2 days, so I'm not seeing any obvious signals other than squirming if I'm holding her. Well, I guess she signals for poop but not pee. I'm just going by timing at this point for pees. I'm toying with the idea of trying to do it at night but I'm a little daunted. She Doesn't wake up really when we nurse at night so I'm basically sleeping through the night. I'm afraid if I add peeing her it will actually wake her up.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:15 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

In a mother infant yoga class, a mom had a colorful potty bucket thing and had her baby pee in it. I thought it was really weird. I just thought it would involve using a toilet.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:06 pm 
Tofu Pup

I started EC part time at 3 months. I work full time so it was just a few times a day after naps and bottles. After a month I had more success than I dreamed and my skeptical husband got on board. LO started signing at 8 months and spoke the word at 13 months. I didn't do naked time u til around 14 months and she did really well. I had a week off at 18 months and made the push to potty training (mostly by giving her control) and she's been diaper-free since (well, she wore one at night for another 6 months or so). I never had success seeing her signs for pee unless she was *trying* to go on the pot. Never during an accident time or in a diaper, but her poop signs were obvious (lots of grunting) so not having poopy diapers was ace. We did have a lot of pee success though. I would definitely do it again. I think it's great as long as you stay laid back about it and don't set any expectations and don't push.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:19 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Someone suggested this to me at a meet-up I went to. I pshawed the idea since I'll be having twins and going back to work at around 10 weeks. But, if it can be more casual, and doesn't have to be an all or nothing thing, it could be great if I could get them to not be afraid of the potty early on. It might also help me really commit a lot more to cloth diapering.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:46 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I have pretty much given up on EC. I have a couple friends who are doing it and it seems to be working, kinda. I just felt like with all our other challenges I didn't need to add to it. A cool new development is that Grey can say yeah and no so I can ask him if I can change his diaper and find him something to examine while I do it so he knows what is about to happen. It has made diaper changing much easier. I am also hoping that in a couple months we can start communicating about when he needs to go to the bathroom!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:57 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I think it's a cool idea and I wish I had started from the beginning. My daughter hated to poop as a newborn and i think it would have helped. At around five months we started, and had successes right away. Now we just do poops, but I think doing poops is easy and the payoff is huge. Pees are labor intensive. I think the important thing to remember when considering EC is that it is more of a philosophy than an early toilet training program. I recommend reading a book or two while you're pregnant.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:34 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I'm totally interested in this but have always had trouble seeing cues with either of my kids! like even right now the only thing that tips me off that Sierra is pooping is the exploding noises haha (sorry!) I should do some reading, there's probably some info out there that would help with that.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:06 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Same here! Scarlett really doesn't seem to show any signs that she's about to poop until all of a sudden we hear an enormous squirt. Sometimes she seems shocked or excited after it happens, but there's no warning before.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:14 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Well, I don't know if we noticed any cues either, except she would cry and not nurse right before a poop, but we started just using timing. So after a feeding, after a nap, after being in the carrier, etc. I couldn't believe it, but we started catching poops and pees right away doing it that way. Now she does have definite cues for poops so it's a bit more relaxed. It was too much for us to be trying to catch pees all the time. They pee like every 15 minutes.

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]