| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 758 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 31  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Pie In The Sky
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:41 pm 
Offline
Tofu Pup
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 9:14 pm
Posts: 7
Image
The chocolate galaxy banana cheesecake thing was to die for. It's sooooo good.
I'm gonna buy this book as soon as i return this copy to the library.
Might be trying out something peanuty next. :)

_________________
Love me some pie.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Pie In The Sky
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:43 pm 
Offline
Tofu Pup
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 8:58 pm
Posts: 6
Location: Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
Just made the key lime pie which has now been in the fridge for about an hour. Time seems to be moving soooo slowly until I get a taste. :)

I hope it works out alright because when I bought the ingredients I bought only 1 can of coconut milk. The recipe calls for 1 x 16oz can (about 470 grams) but our standard cans in Australia are 400-410 grams.

Fingers crossed.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Pie In The Sky
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:28 pm 
Offline
Discovered unobtainium
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 11891
Location: Dinosaur Stampede
The Peach Pie was amazing, but slicing peaches is such a pain in the asparagus that I cant imagine ever making it again.

Is there some trick to it?

_________________
"This is the creepiest post ever if you don't know who Molly is." -Fee
"a vegan death match sounds like something where we all end up hugging." -LisaPunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Pie In The Sky
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:42 pm 
Offline
Making Threats to Punks Again
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:15 pm
Posts: 1110
Location: Bull City, NC
Make sure you have freestone peaches and boil them for a few seconds before cutting so you can slide the skins off easily.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Pie In The Sky
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:08 am 
Offline
Discovered unobtainium
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 11891
Location: Dinosaur Stampede
Peeling was no problem--slicing them without ending up with mush was.

_________________
"This is the creepiest post ever if you don't know who Molly is." -Fee
"a vegan death match sounds like something where we all end up hugging." -LisaPunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Pie In The Sky
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:48 am 
Offline
Tofu Pup
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 8:58 pm
Posts: 6
Location: Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
DalbyAU wrote:
Just made the key lime pie ...

I hope it works out alright because when I bought the ingredients I bought only 1 can of coconut milk. The recipe calls for 1 x 16oz can (about 470 grams) but our standard cans in Australia are 400-410 grams.



Very disappointed with my first attempt at a vegan pie. After six hours in the fridge it looked on the top as thought it was set however when I cut it it all just ran out onto the plate. The flavour was delicious though.

Except for the coconut milk mentioned above I followed the recipe exactly. Would the coconut milk have made the difference? If not, any thoughts on how I can get it to set better?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Pie In The Sky
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:13 pm 
Offline
Nailed to the V

Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:25 am
Posts: 569
your peaches were mushy? (when you sliced, I mean?)
It could be that they were just a touch too ripe.

i usually get mine when they are hard as a rock, and pop thhem in the fridge and then cut towards the pit (do the twist), and slice. if mine are slushy it's because it's too ripe.

_________________
A Vegan Julie/Julia Project: This Cycle: Great Gluten Free Vegan Eats! http://veganlydelicious.wordpress.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Pie In The Sky
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:16 pm 
Offline
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:43 pm
Posts: 10464
Location: Astoria, NY by way of San Diego, CA
DalbyAU wrote:
DalbyAU wrote:
Just made the key lime pie ...

I hope it works out alright because when I bought the ingredients I bought only 1 can of coconut milk. The recipe calls for 1 x 16oz can (about 470 grams) but our standard cans in Australia are 400-410 grams.



Very disappointed with my first attempt at a vegan pie. After six hours in the fridge it looked on the top as thought it was set however when I cut it it all just ran out onto the plate. The flavour was delicious though.

Except for the coconut milk mentioned above I followed the recipe exactly. Would the coconut milk have made the difference? If not, any thoughts on how I can get it to set better?


I don't think using less coconut milk would cause it not to set. If it didn't set, my guess is that it was an agar issue. What type of agar did you use? maybe it didn't boil enough to fully dissolve?

_________________
I am not a troll. I am TELLING YOU THE ******GOD'S TRUTH****** AND YOU JUST DON'T WANT THE HEAR IT DO YOU?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Pie In The Sky
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:39 pm 
Offline
Tofu Pup
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 8:58 pm
Posts: 6
Location: Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
ijustdiedinside wrote:
[.....my guess is that it was an agar issue. What type of agar did you use? maybe it didn't boil enough to fully dissolve?


Thanks for your reply.

As per the recipe, I used 2 tsp of Japanese Muso Agar Agar flakes (edible sea vegetable gelatin). I stirred and boiled it with the tapioca and unsweetened almond milk for 5 minutes.

Would an extra tsp of agar help?

(I would surprised by the runny result as I've seen quite a few people say they had the opposite - a rubbery texture.)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Pie In The Sky
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:01 pm 
Offline
Making Threats to Punks Again
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:03 pm
Posts: 1118
Location: Knoxville, TN
DalbyAU wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

As per the recipe, I used 2 tsp of Japanese Muso Agar Agar flakes (edible sea vegetable gelatin). I stirred and boiled it with the tapioca and unsweetened almond milk for 5 minutes.

Would an extra tsp of agar help?

(I would surprised by the runny result as I've seen quite a few people say they had the opposite - a rubbery texture.)


Did you use 2 tsp of agar flakes or powder?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Pie In The Sky
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:25 am 
Offline
Making Threats to Punks Again
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:46 am
Posts: 1090
Location: Sweden
Tzippy wrote:
DalbyAU wrote:
As per the recipe, I used 2 tsp of Japanese Muso Agar Agar flakes (edible sea vegetable gelatin). I stirred and boiled it with the tapioca and unsweetened almond milk for 5 minutes.


Did you use 2 tsp of agar flakes or powder?

This could easily be the problem. The recipe calls for powder. 1 tsp of powder equals about 3 tsp of flakes I believe (plus flakes needs soaking time to melt).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Pie In The Sky
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:04 pm 
Offline
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:41 pm
Posts: 1081
Location: Yorkshire, UK
There is a whole section about why you must use powder & not flakes! It is REALLY hard to get powder in the UK but finally manged to get some from the internet. Definitely worth it!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Pie In The Sky
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:43 pm 
Offline
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:04 pm
Posts: 243
Location: Wanting to get out of NC
I finally used this cookbook. I made the pucker up raspberry pie last weekend for my dad. I accidentally left the book at my parents' house and now they're making the blackberry pie, without me.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Pie In The Sky
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:47 pm 
Offline
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:43 pm
Posts: 10464
Location: Astoria, NY by way of San Diego, CA
fruitbat wrote:
Tzippy wrote:
DalbyAU wrote:
As per the recipe, I used 2 tsp of Japanese Muso Agar Agar flakes (edible sea vegetable gelatin). I stirred and boiled it with the tapioca and unsweetened almond milk for 5 minutes.


Did you use 2 tsp of agar flakes or powder?

This could easily be the problem. The recipe calls for powder. 1 tsp of powder equals about 3 tsp of flakes I believe (plus flakes needs soaking time to melt).


yeah, that's definitely it. Not only do you need more flakes than powder, they need to cook for much longer and soaking also helps.

_________________
I am not a troll. I am TELLING YOU THE ******GOD'S TRUTH****** AND YOU JUST DON'T WANT THE HEAR IT DO YOU?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Pie In The Sky
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:37 pm 
Offline
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:54 am
Posts: 2077
Location: Munich, finally!
The coconut pie is currently setting in the fridge. I'm bringing it to work tomorrow, I hope it won't be too soft. Last time I made it it was super creamy, but I don't remember if I cooked the agar long enough. This time I timed it and it was already jellying when I poured it into the coconut milk. Yummy!

_________________
I dunno, I guess I just get enthused over eating big ol' squishy balls. - Interrobang?!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Pie In The Sky
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:29 am 
Offline
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:54 am
Posts: 2077
Location: Munich, finally!
It thikened perfectly, it was delicious, and I managed to get two slices before it was scarfed down by my colleagues.

_________________
I dunno, I guess I just get enthused over eating big ol' squishy balls. - Interrobang?!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Pie In The Sky
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:52 pm 
Offline
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:08 pm
Posts: 1626
I had to bump this thread because this past weekend I made the Strawberry Kiwi tart for my very omni-but-openminded 80yr old dad. I did use all berries - straw, rasp and blue - but otherwise followed the recipe exactly. Holy crepe my dad raved about that tart alllll night long, and then went to his friends' house the following day and wouldn't shut up about it either so they ended up calling me for the name of the book!
that whole method of making the creme - the cashews, agar + milk, coconut oil etc - is just incredible alchemy!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Pie In The Sky
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:08 am 
Offline
Tofu Pup

Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:01 am
Posts: 5
Location: Minneapolis, MN
So, I've always been more of a cake person than a pie person, but my close friends are All About Pie, and a good cook is well-rounded, right? So I made a She's My Cherry Pie, time consuming as all get-out. The crust turned out lovely for a first pie, but the filling did not set at all. I followed the recipe, so what did I do wrong? (kitchen details: Minnesota humid, but moderately air-conditioned.)

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Pie In The Sky
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:05 pm 
Offline
Should Write a Goddam Book Already
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:05 pm
Posts: 1015
Location: Willamette Valley, OR
I have found that with all the fruit pies I've tried from VPITS, I've needed to use the max amount of cornstarch+extra, because mine have not generally set up very well either, especially when using frozen berries.

_________________
Glad wrap! ... it's just a nice, friendly name. Like a suffocating, plastic hug. - Erinnerung

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Pie In The Sky
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:39 pm 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:10 pm
Posts: 3868
Location: St. Louis
have made: blueberry maple, old fashioned chocolate pudding, key lime, and brambleberry and holy shiitake so gooooodd

_________________
Space has stared into the tiny syrup holes of our shame and it does not judge us. - Amandabear

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Pie In The Sky
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:20 am 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:49 pm
Posts: 4037
Location: Toronto, ON
Do you think any of the cheesecakes would freeze well? I want to make one for a special dinner, but I will need to make it about 4 days ahead of time. Is this a bad idea?

_________________
I like my bagels like I like my men - big and covered with earth balance & nooch. - Bunniee

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Pie In The Sky
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:06 pm 
Offline
Nailed to the V

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:36 pm
Posts: 572
Location: West LA
inktea wrote:
So, I've always been more of a cake person than a pie person, but my close friends are All About Pie, and a good cook is well-rounded, right? So I made a She's My Cherry Pie, time consuming as all get-out. The crust turned out lovely for a first pie, but the filling did not set at all. I followed the recipe, so what did I do wrong? (kitchen details: Minnesota humid, but moderately air-conditioned.)

Image


Maybe try the lower slower cooking time recommendation described in the section about frozen berries. I followed those instructions for my fruit pies and they actually set up firmer than I would have liked. (I was apparently the only one who cared. My family scarfed the pies down).

_________________
http://veggielawyer.wordpress.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Pie In The Sky
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:11 pm 
Offline
Tofu Pup

Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:01 am
Posts: 5
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Maybe try the lower slower cooking time recommendation described in the section about frozen berries. I followed those instructions for my fruit pies and they actually set up firmer than I would have liked. (I was apparently the only one who cared. My family scarfed the pies down).


It was recommended to me by friends to pre-cook the filling and get it starting to set up before I put it in the crust. I guess I figured since I was working with fresh cherries, the frozen berry section didn't really occur to me as something to look into. Learning!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Pie In The Sky
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:15 pm 
Offline
Addicted to B12 Enemas
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:28 pm
Posts: 257
Location: NYC
lobsteriffic wrote:
Do you think any of the cheesecakes would freeze well? I want to make one for a special dinner, but I will need to make it about 4 days ahead of time. Is this a bad idea?

I have frozen several of the cheesecakes (sometimes for months) and they were still just as excellent.


On another pie topic, I made the cherry pie last weekend and got "I think this is the best pie I've ever had" as feedback. Not bad!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Pie In The Sky
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:32 pm 
Offline
Discovered unobtainium
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 11891
Location: Dinosaur Stampede
Audrey wrote:
I had to bump this thread because this past weekend I made the Strawberry Kiwi tart for my very omni-but-openminded 80yr old dad. I did use all berries - straw, rasp and blue - but otherwise followed the recipe exactly. Holy crepe my dad raved about that tart alllll night long, and then went to his friends' house the following day and wouldn't shut up about it either so they ended up calling me for the name of the book!
that whole method of making the creme - the cashews, agar + milk, coconut oil etc - is just incredible alchemy!


This tart incites greed. I've made two in the past week and a half. My dad didn't have anymore of the new one though--he literally ate a "piece" equal to half of it last night and now says he can't handle anymore. Hah.

The birds love it too.

It is so simple, but it takes all damn day to make with all the waiting, waiting, and waiting.

_________________
"This is the creepiest post ever if you don't know who Molly is." -Fee
"a vegan death match sounds like something where we all end up hugging." -LisaPunk


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 758 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 31  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Shukriyya and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer