| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sacramento?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:00 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I might be going here tomorrow, what should I do? Is it better to stay home and go for a walk and eat icecream with the baby?

Post subject: Re: Sacramento?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:46 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

The little street where Sugar Plum Bakery is is really nice. When Mike and I passed through on our way home from Tahoe last year, we had lunch there and went to the record store across the street and just walked around a bit.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:59 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I believe it is called the Plum now. PhonoSelect is across the street, around the block is a urban designer toy shop called Dragatomi, a Mexican art studio/shop called Spanglish...I like that area a lot.

On Arden there is a middle eastern place that has a large vegan selection on their menu incl. 2 types of vegan baklava, Whole Foods if you need staples and Dimples records (if you are into music & old video games)...

There are more things but I do not know what to suggest besides the basics.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:23 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

This is great, we are probably only going to be there for 2-3 hours and I need to get a few things at target, so this is a perfectamountof things without it being overwhelming!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:40 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

My deepest apologies on going to Sacramento.

That said, next time you're there, I heartily recommend Andy Nguyen's. Incredible Vietnamese food, like Loving Hut if it had class!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:43 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Come on, Sacramento is not that bad. It may not be fancypants San Francisco, but it's not the hellhole people like to make it out to be.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:46 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Well, Nate's meeting was in Rancho Cordova and I only had two hours. So, we ended up not doing anything really. Grey and I went to Target and a pretty cool international grocery store. It was nice to just go and have some time together, plus I get to knit in the car, I never get to knit when grey and I are hanging out at the house, so that was a huge perk!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:52 am 
Level 7 Vegan

ashley wrote:
Come on, Sacramento is not that bad. It may not be fancypants San Francisco, but it's not the hellhole people like to make it out to be.

Seriously. I'm interested in knowing what's so bad about Sacramento, because I don't get it at all.

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:19 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Jigglypuff wrote:
ashley wrote:

Seriously. I'm interested in knowing what's so bad about Sacramento, because I don't get it at all.

Many of my SF friends bemoan the fact that I don't want to live there again and are shocked that I'm actually happy in Sacramento, but none of them can actually name any reasons why it supposedly sucks except, "It gets hot."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:41 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I am not sure what the Sacramento hate is about, the only thing I can think is because it is the next big city around here. I am from Michigan and we were supposed to hate Ohio on principle.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:17 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Jigglypuff wrote:

Nothing is bad about Sacramento (that is not common in other cities) - people just like to be rude. Seriously I do not know why people need to rag on smaller cities that are trying to maintain a vegan community and try to do their part seeing things in the world of vegan grow.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:58 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

When I was in Sacramento in 2011 I visited Doughbot Donuts and Sugar Plum for brunch.

I'd be happy to go there again:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:14 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Whoa that looks so good Veg_Eric! I read that Doughbot is similar to Voodoo so I am *really* excited to check it out.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:14 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Wait, I had no idea doughbot existed! Now I am going to have to ride my bike 100 miles to Sacramento for donuts. I'm not kidding.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:38 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I have yet to go to Doughbots - we were just talking about that. So next time I am in Sac I will be there for sure!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:27 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Yah, Sacramento really isn't the hellhole people make it out to be, although I will concede it gets unbearably hot. I love San Francisco, but Midtown Sacramento has its own growing independent scene with a great community.

And there's plenty of yummy vegan stuf, in case anyone was curious.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:23 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Sacramentans: who wants to have a PPK meetup? Let's do this!

I went to the vegan meetup group precisely once and felt really awkward because I was by myself and nobody really talked to me. It was at Udupi (RIP) a few years ago and I never tried again. I am not incredibly social, but I would like to meet some neat vegans. Like, let's meet up for brunch at Sugar Plum or something on some weekend? Or go check out the chickens at Sunflower in Fair Oaks? Or let's go gorge on donuts! Or... whatever?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:06 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I have been begging the bf to go to Sac again soon. We usually go on a Saturday. There is always the Pita Kitchen on Arden - a large vegan selection ans large round booths...OMG the lemonade is so good!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:30 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

missmuffcake wrote:
Seriously I do not know why people need to rag on smaller cities that are trying to maintain a vegan community and try to do their part seeing things in the world of vegan grow.

I think that's a bit of a stretch. Whenever I am remotely near Sacramento I go out of my way to patronize vegan and vegan-owned businesses there. I was really sad to hear that Never Felt Better had closed. To insinuate that somehow my teasing is an attack on the Sacto vegan community is making connections where there are none.

I'm sorry if anyone was genuinely offended by what I said. People have rivalries, they make jokes, and that's how my comment was intended. If I truly hated Sacramento enough to want to carpet bomb it, I hardly would have recommended Andy Nguyen's.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:42 pm 
Chip Strong

Is The Townhouse still there? They had amazing karaoke.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:29 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

missmuffcake wrote:
I have been begging the bf to go to Sac again soon. We usually go on a Saturday. There is always the Pita Kitchen on Arden - a large vegan selection ans large round booths...OMG the lemonade is so good!

I've never been there. I'm up for it! I can't do the next two weekends, but I can be available any other weekend later in August. Does that work for you, or anyone else?

Erika, I can only speak for myself, of course, but I was not offended by your comment. It just gets old when people shiitake on Sacramento because it happens all the time.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:01 am 

ashley wrote:

Erika, I can only speak for myself, of course, but I was not offended by your comment. It just gets old when people shiitake on Sacramento because it happens all the time.

Ditto. I wasn't offended either. I roll my eyes at Sac-hate the way I rolled my eyes when I lived in SF and people would ask me if I ate Rice-A-Roni while smoking pot with a leather daddy while taking the ferry to Alcatraz. Stereotypes get old after a while :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:04 am 

ashley wrote:

I went to the vegan meetup group precisely once and felt really awkward because I was by myself and nobody really talked to me. It was at Udupi (RIP) a few years ago and I never tried again. I am not incredibly social, but I would like to meet some neat vegans. Like, let's meet up for brunch at Sugar Plum or something on some weekend? Or go check out the chickens at Sunflower in Fair Oaks? Or let's go gorge on donuts! Or... whatever?

That would be fun! I'm not a big fan of Sugar Plum (or 'The Plum', as it's called now) but I'd love to hit up a different spot. Or we could potluck in McKinley park or something!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:55 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

ashley wrote:

Ya - there. It really gets under my skin when people (mostly from the bay) bag on anything other than the bay. It happens way to much and I think it is only negative to what positivity people are trying to do outside bigger cities.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:45 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

SassyOh wrote:
ashley wrote:

That would be fun! I'm not a big fan of Sugar Plum (or 'The Plum', as it's called now) but I'd love to hit up a different spot. Or we could potluck in McKinley park or something!

That sounds good too. I'm up for anything.

I haven't actually been to The Plum since they came under new management. I used to find most of their food pretty underwhelming (their baked goods frankly were really disappointing), but I did love that sweet potato sandwich. Have you been recently? Has it gotten any better? It looks like the menu stayed more or less the same...

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next