| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 607 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: What did you make for your baby/toddler to eat today?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:59 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Inez ate so well today! At mealtimes I tried something new and let her sit in a regular chair at the table and she loved it. Plus, she could see her reflection in the glass door of a cabinet by the table and we made a game of feeding bites to the "baby."

B: cereal with freeze dried strawberries and almond milk
S: toast with tahini and apricot preserves
L: split pea soup (a ton!), part of a tofurky sandwich (a couple bites)
S: pumpkin banana pouch, a couple crackers
D: tempeh helper, roasted broccoli, blueberries (cleaned her plate!)

Man, I love it when she actually eats.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:04 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

breakfast: cheerios, chunks of apple and banana
lunch: sweet and sour lentils mixed with quinoa, which one twin loved and the other ate a little of, but he has been getting SO picky and also has barely gained any weight in the past several months and is in a super low percentile so it's worrisome...so after that I gave him hummus and pita, which is ate a little of, then noodles, which he flat-out rejected even though he used to love them, then avocado, which he would not even look at, then more cheerios, which he ate.
snack: more cheerios because I wanted to make sure it was something the picky twin would actually eat, plus cherries. offered avocado again but no one wanted it so I made myself some chips and guac.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:13 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Tofulish, what kind of granola do you give your baby? i was thinking that is a good choice for Holmsie's breakfast. I feel like it would be hard to chew.....is it for Leela?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:40 pm 
Semen Strong

I use the Nature's Path Hemp Granola and the Familia Cinnamon and Cranberries ones interchangeably. Both are easy enough to eat, esp bc they are soaked in yogurt :)

I liked the NP bc it has a ton of flax and other seeds. Plus I can get it pretty cheap at Costco.

Breakfast: Os, So Delicious Coconut Yogurt and blackberries
Lunch: leftover pasta with artichoke, peashoots and chicknless tenders and an icepop (man I love our Annabel Karmel set)
Snack: hummus and veggies.
Dinner: broccoli chowder and sesame toast.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:42 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

This thread really is so helpful! When I look at it, I'm always inspired!

My wee blog:

http://www.mommethree.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:53 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I hope this isn't too off topic, but what do your babies use to eat (like plate/bowl wise). We have this nice wooden highchair, but the tray is lame, so we just scooch Freya up to the table in it, unless I'm feeding her while doing something in the kitchen, which happens at dinnertime sometimes. It's super easy for her to slide food off though. :( We've tried to get a suction cup bowl twice, but one was craptastic, and the other was apparently too complicated for we two college graduates to figure out (I am so not kidding). My mom bought a couple at Target that we're going to try on vacation.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:48 pm 
Inflexitarian

Feeding Guineapiglet in the high-chair with the tray felt so distant. So I took off the tray, lowered the highchair so that it could slide neatly under the table and now I have her pulled right up to the table so we can eat together. She eats so much more when we're together at one table. We use this placemat by Stokke that i love. http://www.amazon.com/Stokke-152100-Tab ... B001D1CO04 I dont know why it's so ridicuosly expensive right now. I paid around $40 for it which is still expensive but it's been fantastic for us. Very use to clean, 4 interchangeable designs come with it and the suction works really well. It contains all her food in one place so instead of trying to use a bowl or plate I can just plop everything on the mat and let her go for it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:51 pm 
Inflexitarian

Today Guineapiglet had:
B: butternut squash "fries" and o's
L: Falafel in mini pitas
D: not sure yet but I think I'm going to do something with tempeh tonight

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:55 pm 
Inflexitarian

Scratch that, I think Guineapiglet just soaked a piece of dog food in some water and ate it, hahaha! She's been trying to figure out a way to properly chomp on a piece for over a month now and I guess she finally figured it out. Well, at least it's vegan :) She's going to kill me for sharing this one day!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:12 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Well, we vegans have to get our protein any way we can, eh? :p

That placemat looks brilliant. Stokke makes wicked awesome stuff, which probably explains why it's so expensive. Whew.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:11 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Hey!

Tofulish, thanks for the suggestions. I will try to find that granola. I like the idea of seeds in it too. I got 3 different flavors of granola from the bulk bins today. My husband and I were trying them tonight after dinner and Holmsie came over and actually took a fistful of the cinnamon one and loved it. He kept going back for more and I know he is full from dinner....so he must have really really liked it. Of course it could be a different story tomorrow morning. Thanks for the inspriation!

Refinnej, we use a little plastic plate. Crazily enough, he never tips it. We also sometimes use a placemat with suctions but I swear it can sometimes make cleanup even more difficult. When i don't use the mat it us easy to just wipe the table (he sits in a booster and we push him up to the table). If I use the mat I am wiping the mat, under the mat, the table, and the catch all part of the mat. Then it never seems to be clean from all the wiping and we end up washing it in the sink with all the dishes.

Raspberry swirl, my picky baby loves yogurt too and he begs for "goggie, goggie, goggie!" He sometimes says "gogurt"

So, we did not have o's this morning. For some odd reason he has not been finishing his o's, so this morning I pureed some blueberries and bananas and mixed it in coconut yogurt, then I mixed in some ground hemp/sunflower seeds. Then I made sprouted grain toast with earth balance and sprinkled some flaxseed on that. I cut up some peaches and banana, you guessed it, he did not touch that!! But he ate all the toast and the yogurt and never mentioned "chee-ios" Strange. SO tomorrow I am trying granola and yogurt and granola and milk. Let's see???

Also, tonight I made Isa's lentil mini meatballs. The boy LOVED them. I made pasta with that and mixed some almond butter in with the tomato sauce. He loves that too. Devoured his veggies with goddess dip and even ate some spoonfuls of steamed kale. I was very, very happy tonight with what he ate.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:55 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

B: O's and almond milk, and pineapples at day care
L: Baked beans, broccoli and apples at day care
S: Carrot cake muffin
D: Butternut squash ravioli, a bite of a hazelnut cutlet, and loads of a mango, strawberry, and avocado "salad" (a really delicious combination, actually). I don't think this kid has met a fruit she didn't love.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:36 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Bonnie480 wrote:
Raspberry swirl, my picky baby loves yogurt too and he begs for "goggie, goggie, goggie!" He sometimes says "gogurt"

Haha, mine says "gurt!" for yogurt, and "gogurt!" for guitar. He used to say "guit!" for guitar, but I think we made too much of big deal about him saying "gurt" for yogurt. Now everything is a variation of yogurt.

Today:
Breakfast- strawberries, nectarine, toast with almond butter (not much of that)
Snack- soy "gurt" and a few bites of my grilled Daiya sammich
Lunch- baked beans, half of an avocado, soy milk
Snack- puffs, more of that avocado
Dinner- peas in flax oil, smoked tofu, banana half

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:41 pm 

One of the twins has decided he hates 95% of all foods, and he is so so tiny and his doctor really wants him to gain weight, which means mealtimes now involve me offering him every single food item available and watching him throw them on the floor. Then he finally eats a few bites of yogurt and some cheerios.

His sister sure loved her lentils today though!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:43 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Tofulish wrote:
Our energy practitioner's theory (and one shared by many) is that psychologically food is equated with love and emotional nurturance as well as just nutrient values. So as you feed your kid, you're modeling love for her and setting her expectations.

I worry that in being so stingy and controlling, B is setting L up to accept very little/that kind of behavior from a man or woman that she is in partnership with. He has said that she needs to learn discipline, which is why he refuses to let her feed herself until she can do so with no mess. As a result, she stops eating way earlier with him than she does with me, and she'll ask for more, but he won't give it unless she takes it from his spoon in the highchair.

I want her to have joy, so when we eat, we laugh a lot, she can't do any wrong, even if she throws food around, and I try and make her yummy healthy food that we share and eat together. If she is done in the chair and comes and wants more food, I give it to her. I want her to learn to love with joy, abundance and abandon and a lot of enjoyment. Sure its messier, but she is only little once. And running a vaccuum and sponging down surfaces at the back end seems like an easier response than controlling it so tightly.

I try and feed her mindfully, with lots of love. I don't care how messy it gets, as long as she's happy.

I think trying to put a cast on a future theoretical partnership because of what and how a baby eats is not helpful. My response to B would be that quite simply you can't turn every meal into a battle. Pick your battles with children because you can't win every single one. Some day, L may decide she only wants to eat carrots, plain tortillas, and applesauce for a week. She will survive and will get over it.
I've never heard that wheat is a problem for babies. I never heard a single thing about wheat until the entire nation developed celliac disease overnight.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:09 pm 
Inflexitarian

strawberryrock wrote:
One of the twins has decided he hates 95% of all foods, and he is so so tiny and his doctor really wants him to gain weight, which means mealtimes now involve me offering him every single food item available and watching him throw them on the floor. Then he finally eats a few bites of yogurt and some cheerios.

How does he do on liquids and is he in the same percentile range he's always been in or is it dropping? If he'll accept liquids over solid food more try green smoothies with the addition of a tablespoon of flax oil (they have flax oil with D2 in it now as well that's really great)and maybe a little plain brown rice protein . That way he gets everything he needs in one little drink. That's if he will accept non-solid foods. Converting the smoothies into a frozen pop is also another option.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:31 pm 

GuineaPig wrote:
strawberryrock wrote:

How does he do on liquids and is he in the same percentile range he's always been in or is it dropping? If he'll accept liquids over solid food more try green smoothies with the addition of a tablespoon of flax oil (they have flax oil with D2 in it now as well that's really great)and maybe a little plain brown rice protein . That way he gets everything he needs in one little drink. That's if he will accept non-solid foods. Converting the smoothies into a frozen pop is also another option.

They're not my kids, I'm their nanny, and they have a plan with the doctor that involves rice cereal mixed in with formula, which has extra formula powder in there...though he wasn't even super into his bottle today, after the one he had in the morning. I don't think they want me giving him other liquids though. He used to be a good eater! This pickiness is a really recent thing. I hope it's just a brief phase because it's making me crazy.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:41 pm 
Inflexitarian

strawberryrock wrote:
GuineaPig wrote:
strawberryrock wrote:

They're not my kids, I'm their nanny, and they have a plan with the doctor that involves rice cereal mixed in with formula, which has extra formula powder in there...though he wasn't even super into his bottle today, after the one he had in the morning. I don't think they want me giving him other liquids though. He used to be a good eater! This pickiness is a really recent thing. I hope it's just a brief phase because it's making me crazy.

Oops sorry I thought they were your kids!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:05 pm 

GuineaPig wrote:

Well I do plan their meals and stuff, so I am all about taking advice, but yeah since he's still on formula green smoothies probably wouldn't be the best choice since I'm sure he would drink less of it. I am just really hoping he's less picky soon, today they both slept really late and then I spent such a long time offering him different foods and trying to get him to eat that we never got to go outside, and it was gorgeous out!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:58 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

strawberryrock wrote:
GuineaPig wrote:

Well I do plan their meals and stuff, so I am all about taking advice, but yeah since he's still on formula green smoothies probably wouldn't be the best choice since I'm sure he would drink less of it. I am just really hoping he's less picky soon, today they both slept really late and then I spent such a long time offering him different foods and trying to get him to eat that we never got to go outside, and it was gorgeous out!

Toby's pickiness has lasted 9 years...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:07 pm 

Vantine wrote:
strawberryrock wrote:
GuineaPig wrote:

Toby's pickiness has lasted 9 years...

Does he eat foods other than cheerios though? Please say yes.

The twins were so fun to cook for for a while there...well the other one will still eat most of what I make, we eat the same lunch most days. Beans and lentils are her absolute favorites which works well for me.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:18 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

The big girl chair continues to work its magic!

B: toast w/avocado (almost a whole piece!), blueberries, soy yogurt
S: o's and TJ's strawberry fruity flakes
L (while running errands): Spanish rice with pinto beans and guacamole, Costco samples (toast w/ apricot jam, tofu - I love it when the samples are vegan stuff!)
S: strawberry applesauce, part of an English muffin
D: falafel, hummus, cucumber & tomato salad, flatbread

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:14 am 
Semen Strong

Yay! I love that you guys are "feeding the baby."

We just had noochy quinoa balls for breakfast and strawberries.

Sofrito that strawberry, mango and avocado salad sounds divine!

I love that she is completely not picky at this point. She does love her food, so the minute I come into the living room with her meal, she scampers towards me at top speed waiting to be put into her chair and fed. She was actually so impatient with the chicknless tenders that she was yelling at me to feed her (it was just a bit too hot). I know she won't always be so easy, so I'm soaking it in!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:51 am 
Married to the wolfman

I miss the Emperor pre-pickiness. I know he is not THAT picky compared to many kids his age (he eats fruit and some vegetables!) but sometimes it slays me. Last night we had salad-- a food he generally likes-- full of things he loves. Kalamata olives, cucumbers, cashews. It looked like a sure win.

He wouldn't touch it. He picked out the olives and then was like yeah, I'm over this. Come on guy!

He did eat four (out of a recipe of 12) baked falafel though so I can't complain too much.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:56 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

strawberryrock wrote:

Does he eat foods other than cheerios though? Please say yes.

The twins were so fun to cook for for a while there...well the other one will still eat most of what I make, we eat the same lunch most days. Beans and lentils are her absolute favorites which works well for me.

Yes - he has a sensory issue so it's really more texture than flavor. I am not going to provoke a panic attack by forcing him to try foods. Personally, I would start with the foods the kid will eat. If it's cheerios and yogurt, so be it.
He likes plain food - pasta with just EB, plain bread with peanut butter only, cheese pizza, white rice, chickenless nuggets...He will eat most fruits but the only veg he will eat is raw carrots. He likes some yogurts.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 607 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 25  Next