| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2 Rescued Bunnies in need of Homes, NYC
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:09 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

My friend called me a few weeks ago about these two gentle beauties. They were rescued from a veterinary school after the semester was over and they were going to be put down.

They're 2 female albino rabbits, 2 years of age, and fixed. I know nothing about rabbits but his friend took one in for a couple of days where she lived with the friend's turtles and cat, and there was no problem to note.

Here's a photo: Image

I was irate and wanted to help! I promised him I'd help him find them homes. We've tried many rescues and the best they can do is what we're doing on forums and craigslist (although the latter is super sketchy). The only successful outlet seems to be pet stores, who are recommended to us by rescues, surprisingly, who will adopt them out. It's up to my friend who's holding them both again but he's vegan too, so he's obviously avoiding that as a prospect. I failed to mention that he took them in assuming he'd find them a place more permanent to stay within a few days, but it's really difficult with all the rescues filled to capacity.

Post subject: Re: 2 Rescued Bunnies in need of Homes, NYC
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:58 am 
Chip Strong

Maybe you can try either the Woodstock or Catskill sanctuaries? both not too far from NYC. They both have bunnies and maybe would have space.
good luck. They are beautiful.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:39 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

thank you Hoodwinked! I just got to see your reply. A super helpful reply! He still has them and probably is exhausting his options as we go along. I'm going to give them a call.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:54 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

This is a wild card - I have no idea if they adopt in - but have you heard of Green Chimney's? They have a variety of programs for children experiencing emotional, behavioral, social and learning challenges. They have all kinds of animals (including rabbits) that the kids interact with and care for as part of the program. I've always heard wonderful things about they work they do with the kids as well as the care of the animals - although I have no personal experienc with them.

Might be a long shot, but I think worth a try. Here is their contact page

Good Luck!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:13 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

You guys are being super helpful! I get flustered on the phone for some reason. I'm still trying to find her a home and have not yet heard back from any of the shelters. Hopefully, sometime soon. Trying.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:52 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

There is a rabbit specific rescue in NYC: http://rabbitcare.org/. And here's a list of rescues that take rabbits in New York state: http://rabbit.rescueshelter.com/NewYork. Not sure how up to date the list is, but it's worth a try. I know how hard it is to place bunnies because most rescues are overflowing with them. Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:49 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

So far I've tried the rabbit rescues, all of which are booked to capacity and which have given us the chance to work with them to place them in homes, but that I'm waiting on my friend to get in touch with to initiate (we need photos and stuff). I have however contacted both sanctuaries about the rabbits, and called yesterday to see about the Green Chimney's program. Waiting game continues!